GC/MS Drug Testing for Thujone?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru January 2002:GC/MS Drug Testing for Thujone?
By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 06:18 pm: Edit

I usualy read a whole thread before answering to it but I`m laughing so loud at Don`s post (03:10 pm and the thujone but plug) that the neighbor is about to complain ! LOL !

By Artemis on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 03:55 pm: Edit

Don, you're in RARE form tonight!!

Vick's Vapo Butt Plug, miracles in the desert - I haven't laughed so hard in a long time.

I heard that in prison, they make do with apple cores. Just the right shape, no peanut butter required.

By Mr_Rabid on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 03:51 pm: Edit

On a related note, you gotta understand- they aren't gods. They are lab techs who are getting paid to see what is in your pee- they will be looking for stuff you can buy and snort, shoot, smoke etc.

Let's say you go to South America and have some of that hallucinogenic root that comes out in your pee.

Will you get busted? Possible. Unlikely that they would be looking for that on the GC. Also unlikley they would know what the fuck it looked like.

I had a co-worker. Pothead. Nice lady. She figured she had a month to work as they tested your hair there (took a month to come back) and she had given them PLASTIC HAIR EXTENSIONS.

She came back in the clear.

They told you it is very sensitive and can identify all compounds in your urine so that you would not apply if you were a user of drugs.

They might not even be paying the money to test everyones pee.

By Scoobydoo on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 03:44 pm: Edit

Don,

When I tried the butt plug, it kept slipping out...

What would you recommend for it to stick a little better? Maybe some peanut butter? But alas, peanut butter I hear can give another spike on the test that might be mistaken for something else! Gosh forbid!

Thanks again! I can't wait to go try out my bigger plug when I get back home!

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 03:29 pm: Edit

'Arse' then, just for you, Tim. Though I fear Scoob could well use a kick in the head from a burro.

By Timk on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 03:15 pm: Edit

Im not too sure his ass would like that, temperemental creatures by all accounts...

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 03:10 pm: Edit

Scooby, READ MY LIPS: do not mistake the use of the term 'narcotic' to mean something with a narcotic like effect, and NARCOTICS as in controlled substances, illegal drugs.

THUJONE IS NOT A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE AND NEVER HAS BEEN.

IT IS NOT AN ILLEGAL DRUG.

IT CAN BE FREELY MANUFACTURED, BOUGHT, SOLD, IMPORTED, etc in or into the United States. That's in its pure form, or as the principal component of several essential oils, wormwood being only one.

It is just a prohibited food additive. For any other purpose it is hunky dory.

So I am not going to further dignify your stupidity by responding to your posts.

NO ONE CAN CLAIM THUJONE TO BE A 'NARCOTIC' in the forensic sense.

I suggest you liberally grease a butt plug with VapORub and shove it up your ass, this is guaranteed to give you a nice high level of blood thujone and to show a nice spike on your urine test, anal mucosal absorption being a high efficient mode of transport into the circulatory system.

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 02:09 pm: Edit

just say that you had a vapor-rub sam'ich before you came in...

By Scoobydoo on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 02:03 pm: Edit

I guess the main thing I am concerned about is that thujone is considered a mild narcotic right?

So would it cause a test to come up positive for narcotics?

( I guess I should have phrased the initial question a little better)

By Scoobydoo on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 02:01 pm: Edit

I gotta love ya Don :)

haha...Less than 10 minutes after posting and already a response putting me in my place!

Sounds great :)

But just from a curiosity standpoint...does thujone get stored by the body anywhere such as in fat cells or is it water soluble and get excreted fairly fast?

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 01:56 pm: Edit

Let me put it another way.

Thujone is commonly used in perfumery, cosmetics, non-prescription compounds such as Vick's VapORub and Absorbine Jr. It is a fixative for flavors and a counter-irritant topically.

It is also present in vermouths, Chartreuse, and probably some pastis.

So you can drunk things with it, you can absord them through the skin, you can inhale them. Very closely related compounds are routinely used to flavor tobacco so you could damned sure smoke it.

You could also, without even bending any US law, buy wormwood, sage, tansy, or any of the other dozen or more thujone containing herbs and/or their essential oils, and makes teas out of them, rub the oils on your skin, etc.

Or you could sleep with your head in a cedar chest and get a lungful of thujone...

NONE OF WHICH IS ILLEGAL< IMMORAL OR FATTENING.

What I am saying is, traces of thujone in your piss do not constitute evidence of absinthe drinking, because thujone can and IS acquired by the body in myriad other ways. Absinthe is just one of many possible routes.

And it is NOT illegal to drink absinthe. It is not illegal to possess absinthe.

SO WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 01:46 pm: Edit

Since when is thujone an issue in a urine test?

IT IS NOT A CONTROLLED SUBSTANCE.

ABSINTHE IS NOT A DRUG.

So what is the problem?

By Scoobydoo on Wednesday, January 23, 2002 - 01:40 pm: Edit

I will be having a drug test soon that will be a Gas Chromatography/ Mass Spec which is supposedly very sensitive and can identify all compounds in your urine. I know that THC metabolites will be excreted for roughly 1 to 3 months after using when this test is used. This is because it's stored in your fat cells unlike most other drugs. So, does anyone know where (if anywhere) thujone is stored? Does it get excreted fairly quickly (like in less than a week?).

What if a peak shows up on the test for thujone...will they even know what it is? I'm looking at the chemists such as Don here :)

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation