St. Louis tablets

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru January 2002:St. Louis tablets
By Artist on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 05:58 pm: Edit

C&H white, the other brown...the C&H seems to last pretty well...

Yes, I understand about rapt cubes...

But, it's fun to use a silver platter with little itty-bitty tongs...

By Destiny on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 04:34 pm: Edit

Hey Artist, are you using the white or brown cubes? I haven't noticed a brown tinge. Oh oh, you have cats, don't you?

I don't want the cube to survive the drip completely intact, I want it to climax just as the drink is ready. I'd just like to have the wrapped cubes around for company. You know, for that tea-time with the queen feeling.

By Grimm on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 04:11 pm: Edit

I can't imagine anyone buying a box of sugar for 20$ US! I wasn't aware the shipping was so high. I'd have to enquire. Not to mention I'd wrap the box in bubble wrap so it doesn't get destroyed.

I wonder how much more it would cost me to send 2 boxes at a time.

But then again, do I really want to peddle sugar?
Maybe I could peddle sugar, custom handmade absinthe glassware and handmade and handcarved pure silver spoons :)

By Luger on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 01:29 pm: Edit

:-)

Actually, Peter is a very generous man, often gives away things for free.

>You lucky he didn't make you eat your testicles.

How did you know I ain't Vegan?

:-)

Gotta sleep now friends.

Cheers: Luger

By Petermarc on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 10:07 am: Edit

i was thinking of burning a swiss cross on his ass with a cigarette, but luger likes that kind of thing...

By Verawench on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 09:51 am: Edit

You did his hoe, that's what. You lucky he didn't make you eat your testicles.

By Luger on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 08:29 am: Edit

>Our very own Petermarc used to sell them "from under >the coat" as the French expression goes, for $100 a >box,

Damn Peter!
You charged me 150$ for mine!
What have I done to you?

By Wolfgang on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 08:19 am: Edit

The St-Louis I brought came from some cafe in Paris so they had advertising wrapping.

Economy shipping for a 1Kg box from Montreal should cost about 10-12 Can $. I have also another french brand at home (I don't remember the name...Bejhin something...) with funny drawing with dogs. I think that 20 US$ would be reasonable to cover the cost & shipping and trouble... But ask Grimm as I have no ambition in becoming a sugar dealer ;-).

By Pablo on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 02:24 am: Edit

Weird. I get my cocaine in packages labeled "anthrax". At least I used to. My shipments havn't arrived in a few months. Should I be worried?

By Petermarc on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 02:16 am: Edit

any questions about my 'friendship' with kenneth lay should be directed to: andersen LLP, attention: david duncan...
i have shopped shipments of sugarcubes due to an unfortunate incident involving a high-ranking political client, who received a package that was slightly damaged and leaking sugar...i think he may be able to return his office sometime very soon...( i also should have never tried to conceal the sugar in packages labeled 'cocaine')

By Artist on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 12:29 am: Edit

I agree with PVs earlier post...Why would you want the cube to survive intact...you'll definitly be crushing it in the bottom of the glass.

Also, the A la Perruche imparts a rather ugly looking brownish tinge...

C&H works just fine...

By Malhomme on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 11:47 pm: Edit

Central Market in Austin Texas sells the St Louis tablets in bulk.

FWIW, I think Parrots taste better than the other sugars.

By Oxygenee on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 11:46 pm: Edit

Yes, not only is Petermarc the shadowy kingpin behind a ruthless worldwide sugarcube smuggling network (or the "St Louis Cartel" as my friends in the FBI call it), but I've even heard rumours that he is a close personal friend of Kenneth Lay.

By Destiny on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 08:38 pm: Edit

I remember the posts referring to the $100 sugar cubes but I thought it was just joke. He was really doing that, are you serious? That Petermarc, what an evil monkey!

By Artemis on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 08:28 pm: Edit

"Does anyone have a source for the individually wrapped St.Louis white sugar tablets?"

Our very own Petermarc used to sell them "from under the coat" as the French expression goes, for $100 a box, and he robbed many a forum member until his shameful scheme was uncovered.

By Destiny on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 08:21 pm: Edit

Hello,

I've completely exhausted my search abilities. I've contacted many on-line gourmet places and I have tried everything locally. I live in an area where I would have expected to find them easily, but no luck whatsoever! I'm gonna try a few other places then I may beg you for a box. Of course, they will probably end up being like any other sugar but now it's become an obsessive quest.

I just don't like it when the cube just disappears after only a few drops. I enjoy the aesthetic of the cube slowly dissolving as it releases its sweetened nectar drop by drop... it's kinda like foreplay.

By Grimm on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 06:17 pm: Edit

greetings,

I found many places in Montreal that sell the 1kg box of individually wrapped St-Louis sugars. They're 6$ canadian for a box.
You should definately try to find them locally. Are there any European markets in your area?

If worse came to worse, I could mail you a box. I don't know how much it would cost me.
As a side note, I have seen some that Wolfgang had brought back from France, those were wrapped in white individual wrappers. The ones I have are the same size, but are wrapped with a decorative wrapper that has little tidbits of poetry or quotes on each.

Like a sugary fortune cookie ritual for Absinthe!

By Perruche_Verte on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 06:04 pm: Edit

Why do you want your cube to "survive" the drip?

I just use the C&H, which under the steady drip of a fountain dissolves in a few seconds.

By Destiny on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 04:19 pm: Edit

I eat them like candy too. I get grit regardless of what I use, just differnt sized grit. I like my rock candy idea so I'm off to the mall to find some. (Maybe I'll even buy some extra candy to lure kids into my car.)

By Head_Prosthesis on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 04:05 pm: Edit

La Perruche makes for a great snack. It's like Rock Candy minis.

By Tavarua on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 04:01 pm: Edit

La Perruche cubes are like chunks of concrete. Unless you have a slow drip, you are going to be crushing it in the bottom of the glass, after you pour the water.

By Destiny on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 03:54 pm: Edit

"Regular" as in C&H square cubes that sit around the coffee machine. My St.Louis source only has the large box of the individually wrapped tablets, but he isn't a wholesale only place. The big box is about $41 + $9 shipping for 900 cubes. Are yours individually wrapped?

Although A la Perruche has larger crystals, I think it survives the drip relatively well. It made me want to try a rock candy crystal to see how well it dissolves with a slow drip.

By Webfly on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 03:34 pm: Edit

St. Louis tablets dissolve a hell of a lot better than Domino Dots. (Maybe Domino makes another type that dissolves better but I've only seen the Dots). St. Louis usually dissolves well before an average dose of absinthe is properly diluted.

Someone sent me a 1Kg. box of St Louis - 144 pieces, but I haven't gotten the source yet. Does your source only sell in huge quantity?

btw, what do you mean by "regular cubes."

By Destiny on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 01:34 pm: Edit

Does anyone have a source for the individually wrapped St.Louis white sugar tablets? I finally found somewhere that sells a big box of 900 pieces but that is too much sugar for little ol' me.

Or, does anyone that uses the Domino or St. Louis tablets know if they dissolve quickly like the regular cubes or can they handle the chinese water torture of a fountain drip?

Thanks!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation