Question about Herbs

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru January 2002:Question about Herbs
By Larsbogart on Friday, February 01, 2002 - 07:05 am: Edit

ok, i wouldnt recommend licking up antifreeze in the driveway either.

By Don_Walsh on Friday, February 01, 2002 - 05:47 am: Edit

If you try antifreeze, friend Lars, you won't have to worry about ANYTHING ever again.

By Larsbogart on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 09:32 pm: Edit

i have tried antifreeze myself. its delicious, and louches quite nicely. best of all you dont have to worry about customs banging at your door.

By Verawench on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 09:16 am: Edit

Indeed!

Talk about "starting from scratch".

By Wolfgang on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 07:03 am: Edit

Ready to grow some pontica ?

By Perruche_Verte on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 05:50 pm: Edit

There's a rhyme on cats and catnip:

If you set it, the cats will et it,
If you sow it, the cats won't know it.

Meaning, plant it from seed rather than transplant live plants to your garden, or the cats will smell the bruised plants and go to town.

By _Blackjack on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 05:07 pm: Edit

I have seen cats attack valarean voraciously. And tobacco (which is quite toxic). And pot. And crystal meth.

I think the poinsettea thing is overblown; it's toxic, but the cat would have to eat a lot. Mistletoe is a problem, tho. Dangerous plants also include lillies; yew (which has sweet berries); philodendra; azaleas, milkweed and other rhododendra; and nightshades.

There are some good links here:

http://cats.about.com/library/weekly/aa031501b.htm

None of them list wormwood/a. absinthium as being an issue.

By Timk on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 04:39 pm: Edit

how about a nice datura? :)

By Destiny on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 04:22 pm: Edit

Valerian? Sleepy cat. Watch out for Pointsettias during the holidays, I think that they are toxic for pets.

By Verawench on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 04:06 pm: Edit

Thank you. I'll proceed without worry.

The only greens I've seen my cats eat or approach is grass (small amounts, apparently for digestion), valerian and catnip. But better safe than sorry.

By Tavarua on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 03:14 pm: Edit

Well, I'll put it like this. Very few animals die of eating poisonous plants. Antifreeze. yea, all animals seem to love that. But that is artificial, and extremely sweet.

By _Blackjack on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 02:52 pm: Edit

Quote:

Animals have an uncanny sense for what can hurt them.

Not any more than you do. They may remember something which made them sick in the past, or avoid things with a bad smell or taste, but pets routinely poison themselves eating houshold plants which are toxic, not to mention things like antifreeze, which tastes yummy...

By Artemis on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 02:51 pm: Edit

I've had most everything growing outside my house at one time or another, and the only thing the cats ever bothered was catnip. And that they gnawed right down to the ground, wouldn't even give it a chance to thrive. Neither cats nor anything else seem to want anything to do with wormwood. I don't think there's a problem.

By Tavarua on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 02:46 pm: Edit

What do they munch on, good stuff or bad. If they're eating grass and other unsavories, they could be sick and attempting to throw up. If they're eating vegetables or other non-harmful vegetation, don't worry about it. Animals have an uncanny sense for what can hurt them. But if they're constantly eating stuff that makes them throw up, something’s wrong.

By Verawench on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 02:07 pm: Edit

An unusual question:

Does anyone know if any of the chief absinthe herbs, grown in a garden, can be harmful to a household pet? My two kitty cats ocassionally munch on greens in the backyard.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation