Damn eabsinth.com!

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru January 2002:Damn eabsinth.com!
By Wolfgang on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 07:14 am: Edit

I already asked SAQ about importing some absinthe for my personal usage about a year ago and they avoided the question. Now they sell Versinthe and Versinthe openly tells they use wormwood. Go figure.

I'm investigating...

By Don_Walsh on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 12:46 am: Edit

The accuracy of the following is not guaranteed.

Shipping ANY liquor by post into or within the US runs afoul of some postal regs but it is hard to construe that as 'illegality'. It is naughty at worst. As for absinthe, the main thing is that almost no one even knows what it is, let's keep it that way, people.

Absinthe is LEGAL in British Columbia only, but liquor imports into Canada are only to state liquor stores, so you have to talk one such store into ordering for you.

On Australia the matter is up in the air, ask Frater Carfax for the latest intel.

By Don_Walsh on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 12:35 am: Edit

My understanding is that they have no mechanism to recover UK import duties and/or excise taxes, which are astronomical. on such shipments, and that therefore, such sales from the UK are inherently uneconomical.

But sales from producing countries (Spain, Portugal, Brazil, CZ, France, etc.) do have such mechanisms and obviously there are no import duties, just excise and VAT.

No absinthe is PRODUCED in the UK.

By Brett on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 10:51 pm: Edit

Guess if I had paid attention on the Vendors page, I would have noted they only do spoons and glasses to Canada...

I guess that's my punishment for being an idiot.

By Brett on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 10:35 pm: Edit

Just hit this website out of curiosity to see what shipping for a bottle of La Fee would be. They have this big disclaimer saying shipping absinthe to Australia, Canad, the U.S. etc., etc., is illegal and all orders containing absinthe destined for those countries will be cancelled.

Funny, it never said that when they first started shipping La Fee internationally -in fact, I almost ordered a bottle in the summer... I guess I should have ordered that bottle.

Now I guess if I want to try it, I'll have to find some other source.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation