Should I preserve?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru January 2002:Should I preserve?
By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 06:33 am: Edit

About tawnys I say forget the 10 years, go for the 20. Hummmm yummy smoky caramel!

By Artist on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 02:09 am: Edit

El Lay note:

Trader Joe's occasionally has excellent deals on Vintage Port...a couple of years ago, I bought a case of '80 Roze for $16 bucks a bottle...

By Pablo on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 01:39 am: Edit

Allright. Im doing a port tasting with some friends this weekend. Everyone ahas to bring at least 2 bottles. Thanks all for the suggestions.

By String on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 11:11 pm: Edit

I have tasted many ports and Wolfgangs Offley is also my favorite. If you want to start cheap get an Australian. They are about 8 to 12 dollars. The taste of port changes significantly between 10 and 20 years. A 10 year old starts at around $25 and a 20 year old starts at around $40. The vintage ports mentioned below should also all be very good. A nice compromise is a LBV (late bottle vintage) port. Novell makes a good one for around $18.
I have an 83 Harvey's that I'm tempted to open soon.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 05:38 am: Edit

My #1 recommendation, if you can find one, is the Offley Boa Vista 1983. I opened the only bottle I had last year. It was so good I was almost shedding tears into my glass. Definitely the best vintage I had.

83 is an under rated year. I didn't tasted the 85 but it must be great too (but judging by the SAQ prices, which is not always a good indication, the 83 is probably the best). Well in fact I can't see how it could be better.

For a more affordable port, you can also try Ferreira and Fonseca's LBV. The 94s where very good.

By Artist on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 04:16 am: Edit

Dow, Taylor, Smith-Woodhouse (sp.?) are all good vintage ports...try to get a '27 (good luck), '63, '77, '80 or an '85...(older is better - these are the best vintages of late).

Even the less well known vintage port brands are usually pretty good in the above years...(Royal Oporto is nice).

(Don't forget the water crackers, sharp (stinky) cheeses and walnuts...)

By Petermarc on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 02:33 am: Edit

i had a friend who liked to eat the old vintage port-crust...sort of like eating a placenta, IMO...

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 02:19 am: Edit

Beaujalais nouveau is a red that is meant to be consumed like, now.

And it isn't the only one. Not all reds are for laying down and not all whites are for immediate consumption.

Wolfgang was right. The subject is more complex.

SC ought to have a good vintage port selection. If you can't afford the vintage, as I said, try the ruby.

Port needs to be decanted, as it throws a lot of sediment and if you disturb this crust, the decanter is a necessity and even so you will need to let is rest so the sediment settles out.

By Abszim on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 01:08 am: Edit

I second vintage kopke, just had a bottle with friends this weekend. Reasonable price and smooth taste.

By Pablo on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 12:58 am: Edit

Thanks Perermarc. Im searching for it right now.

By Petermarc on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 12:55 am: Edit

vintage kopke is usually a decent price and can be drunk young...

By Petermarc on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 12:52 am: Edit

at least one example of a white wine lasting longer than a red after being opened, but who would want to open yquem, and not finish it?

By Pablo on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 12:51 am: Edit

Can anyone recommend a good (and resonably priced) port? I love port but know very little about it.

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 12:31 am: Edit

Port most certainly IS wine, it is just a fortified wine, both the high alcohol and high sugar result from the process used to make it.

-First fermentation
-Second fermentation
-Grape alcohol added to stop second ferment while a lot of the sugar is still present.

Fine vintage port is a marvellous drink and lesser ports like a good ruby port can also be great dessert wines.

Sherry and madeira are likewise fortified but the processes differ.

Bad news is, if you chronically drink port to excess you are asking for the gout. Good news is, if you can afford to drink vintage port to excess you can afford a good doctor. Bad news is, gout hurts like hell!

These are not the only dessert wines by any means.

Chateau d'Yquem being the most famous French example.

By Pablo on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 12:10 am: Edit

In general reds last longer than whites, both opened and unopened. But the real question with wine is "Why didn't you finish it?". If a bottle of wine isn't good enough to finish in one sitting, its not worth saving.

By Wolfgang on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 11:31 am: Edit

Humm, usualy reds are more robust than whites but then again it all depends on which wine we'r talking about. Talking about "reds" vs "whites" is an horrible generalization.

By Artist on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 11:10 am: Edit

Hey Scanion,

As far as I know different wines remain drinkable for different times after a bottle is opened...

(Theoretically, a bottle of wine should be consumed in one sitting completely after it is opened…)

However, the hierarchy as I understand it is a follows:

Reds go bad first.

Whites last longer.

Rose is bad to begin with (yuck - I hate Roses).

Wines with higher alcohol content last longer.

Also, wines with higher sugar content last longer.

Port is not wine - this means Port lasts the longest, because port is highest in alcohol content (usually about 20%) and also has a high sugar content.

(Please, any of the more learned forumites out there, if you know more, share…)

By Heiko on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 05:23 am: Edit

I have a "should I preserve" anecdote ;-)

On New Years Eve I let some of my still half-full absinthe bottles stand on the table. In the morning, one of the girls started to clean up, emptied all the half-empty coke and wine bottles and almost did so with all of my absinthe bottles...
I could stop her before anything happened and explained to her that one can keep liquors with more than 50% alcohol for at least 50 years and that they get even better with time. I think she didn't really believe me, but at least I saved about 2.5 L of good absinthe from being spilled in the sink...

By Scanion on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 08:59 pm: Edit

Wine and port don't last very long after being opened, and that was my perspective.

Now that I have tried my first taste of TGF, I'm less concerned about preservation, and more concerned about what to buy next.

By Krinkov on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 03:57 pm: Edit

OK, I hereby do decree any mention of receipt of Absinthe bad form, as I am slowly descending into madness on this 14th day of shipment. Any further mention of this could cause the escalation of said madness until, at some point, it becomes irreversible...

By Artist on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 01:20 pm: Edit

Jes kiddin'

Seriously, if you have a bottle sitting around long enough for oxidation etc. to be a problem, you actually have a more serious problem in that you are not consuming absinthe at a reasonable rate...

By Artist on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 01:17 pm: Edit

YES, YES, YES...if you don't all the little green fairies will escape!!!

By Wolfgang on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 01:17 pm: Edit

No need to do that, the high proof alcohol will protect your precious bottles. Just store it in a dark place if you ordered a naturaly colored product (like a green La Bleu ).

The best way to preserve it is to drink it ;-)

By Zman7 on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 01:16 pm: Edit

Hopefully your absinthe won't be sitting around long enough for oxidation to be a problem ;)

By Scanion on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 12:59 pm: Edit

New person here. I've been lurking for about a month, received my first shipment today.

Are there any suggestions on the need to protect against oxidation? I use Wine Preserver when I don't finish a bottle of wine, and it works very well. I am inclined to do the same with the bottles of green fairy.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation