I got my first shipment!!!

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru January 2002:I got my first shipment!!!
By Mr_Rabid on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 01:42 pm: Edit

Well, we were already drunk...

We had some Sebors. And we decided 'hell, it's czech- lets try us some flaming sugar cubes!'

Plastic cups. I realized (as my cup deformed) that pyromania and applied alcaholism do not get along. I managed to extinguish my absinth without disfiguring myself or even making a mess.

Now my friend, we'll just call her Y for privacy's sake, she was about to follow me.

"Stop!" I says. "You'll melt through the cup and spill flaming booze all over!" "No," she tells me, "it'll be OK."

She refused to beleive me or even give me a chance to retrieve my own half melted cup.

No one was killed, fortunately... but plastic cups and absinth smell reaaally bad when burned together.

By Wolfgang on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 06:04 am: Edit

"Hippies colored bowls "

Ya, and when you ask them to make a an absinthe reservoir glass they answer "Hummm, I can't do that" and they go back to their ridiculous color bowls making... I even saw one in Montreal who was just molding old wine bottles into incense stick holders...

By Heiko on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 06:33 pm: Edit

What I really miss most since I quit smoking is the lighter I used to have in my pocket all the time :-)

About the alcohol content in burning drinks: I have quite often lit whisky when mixing an irish coffee - somehow the alcohol feels much stronger once the whisky had been burning hot before, even quite some of the alcohol was burnt. The effect sets in quicker, that's for sure.

By Mr_Carfax on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 05:55 pm: Edit

"Don't underestimate the appeal of pyromania"...

When I was a younger non-smoker I used occupy my fingers by playing with everyone elses cigarette lighters and wasting the gas, or twisting the mechanisms to turn them into mini-flame throwers, much to the annoyance of the unaware owner as he goes to light his next cigarette....the simple pleasures of life......

By Perruche_Verte on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 05:16 pm: Edit

I'm a recovering raku artist. Enough said.

PV

By Anatomist on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 04:30 pm: Edit

"Don't underestimate the appeal of pyromania"...

It's true. When I taught in sculpture classes, people would get their knickers all twisted up about using oxy-acteylene torches. They were both scared and fascinated by the fact that they were weilding a 5000 degree flame and melting steel. Often steel sculptors get so in love with their torch that they make awful, messy, slag-heaps, call them sculptures, and beam with pride.

With glass-blowing the situation is even worse. Hordes of hippies become so fascinated with the giant fire and the molten glass that they start thinking colored bowls and vases are the height of human self-expression.

K.

By Perruche_Verte on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 03:53 pm: Edit

The only time I've ever lit the sugar cube is when I made a nasty homemade steep and stupidly encouraged people to drink it. Allowing people to play with fire was the only way to make the experience fun. A few were silly enough to try that with their plastic cups, and then it got even better.

Don't underestimate the appeal of pyromania -- I think it's one of the main reasons people get hooked on cigarettes, because you get to carry a lighter around with you and have this little glowing ember in front of your face, with which you can burn things if you're not careful.

But "chacun a son gout" only goes so far. I mean, objectively, what makes the drink taste better if it's got caramelized sugar mixed into it -- or not mixed into it -- ever tried this? The stuff's nearly insoluble once it gets to that stage. I suspect it's not about taste, it's about visual appeal. Although it does reduce the alcohol content of the drink if you let it burn long enough.

Mocking people is cruel, but critical questions shouldn't be.

By Raschied on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 03:00 pm: Edit

We had people trying the "lit sugar" method at our party a couple of weeks ago. The funny part was the Sebor wouldn't keep the sugar cube lit. It went out in a few seconds. I thought if there was any validity to the ritual it originated in the Czech republic.

A couple of guys took to dipping the sugar cube in a small neat glass of Serpis, and melting it into their Sebor. I drank one glass of the Sebor and swore it off forever, but everyones entitled, I guess...

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 11:40 am: Edit

Rabid,
Care to regale the crowd w/your flaming sugar story?

By Absinthespoon on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 11:37 am: Edit

I guess you're supposed to extinguish the flames with the water. I tried this method once, but it was very unsatisfactory. I ended up with lumps of caramel in my drink. Besides, as Heiko said, I didn't want to ruin my lovely spoons.

BTW, I think it's really nasty to make fun of people's profile pictures.

By Petermarc on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 11:32 am: Edit

the difference between being cool and being a disfigured freak is being able to explain how you got that way...

By _Blackjack on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 11:05 am: Edit

The problem with the burning sugar is that a) it fails to dissolve well and b) sets your drink on fire, often without your being able to see it. I have a friend with permenant scars from a flaming drink he couldn't see was flaming...

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 10:08 am: Edit

Vera,

If people want to use the flaming sugar cube method they should be able to do so and say so without being verbally attacked or ridiculed. I've tried this method but I can never seem to keep the sugar cube alight, perhaps I'm using the wrong sugar (bog-standard white sugar cubes). If someone can use this method successfully and they like it, well good for them I say. Let's cut all the sanctimonious claptrap, we all could do without it. The only 'right' method of drinking absinthe is the one that suits the person drinking it.

As for Jade well (like many on this forum) I've already had several glasses of Jade (thanks to Ted's visit to London) and I have not got the ability to time travel back to my first glass. Anyway I do not know how to post pictures here, I've tried once before with no success. In any case I would not feel the need to post a picture just to say "look at me, aren't I clever".

Hobgoblin

By Verawench on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 07:40 am: Edit

OK, Hob, when Jade comes out, pretty please post your photos of dumping a flaming sugar cube into your first glass.

By Verawench on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 07:37 am: Edit

What can I say, I ain't hip or "down wit dat" or any of that shit.

Sorry.

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 03:56 am: Edit

Heiko,

You can use on old tea-strainer, it works just as well as an absinthe spoon, (or buy a cheap stainless steel repro spoon which should scrub up ok afterwards).

Hobgoblin

By Marccampbell on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 03:54 am: Edit

vera,

whats with all the unpleasantness? You're an artist. Create. Stop being such a malicious cunt.
Grow up. Ugliness ain't hip.

By Heiko on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 03:51 am: Edit

Burning sugar is about as "wrong" as using no sugar with a Spanish absinthe. Some people at the turn of the century had their absinthe neat, there's hardly any method that is "wrong".

I always wanted to try the burning sugar thing at least once, but I don't want to spoil my spoons...

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 03:44 am: Edit

Hacker,

If you like to use the burning sugar method then go ahead and enjoy it, don't listen to anyone here. What's the crime in burning an absinthe soaked sugar lump? Who gives a shit if its not 'the done thing' according to this forum?

Has everybody here who criticises this method even tried it for themselves? And if so if they don't like this method then that's only their personal opinion and they've no right to take this 'holier than though' attitude. It's either plain snobbery or a desire to want to impress others here by the liking the 'right' brands and using the 'right' methods etc. etc., or a bit of both. Either way its a load of sanctimonious bullshit.

Hobgoblin
(I like mixing honey with my absinthe and others here mix absinthe with Sprite. Are these methods 'the done thing'?)

By Verawench on Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 05:19 pm: Edit

Your profile photo.. is that one of your lovely pin-up girls?

By Verawench on Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 05:18 pm: Edit

You poor misguided creature. You will learn.

By Petermarc on Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 04:34 pm: Edit

fuck me to tears...

By Zman7 on Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 03:41 pm: Edit

I don't want to seem snobish....but...burning sugar?

By Dvahacker on Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 03:18 pm: Edit

I can't express the feeling that I have right now. I GOT MY SC ORDER (Deva70 and Deva55)!!!

To date, I've placed 3 orders: Mari Mayans in December, Martin Sebors during the first week of this month, and SC last friday... I got my Deva today. I now know why SC is so popular. The others haven't arrived.

I'm saving the 55 for a pin-up photo shoot tonight, so the 70 has been cracked, and I'm on my third drop since 3:30pm (central). It's just too good (the room's a-spinnin').

Wow. All I can say is wow. The louche is just as you've all described: a milky, opalescent sea green. No bitterness (relatively speaking),and the fairy herself allows for an incredible caramelization. I've never seen anything burn so beautifully as a Deva70 soaked sugarcube (all I have are Domino Dots right now...); they burn a lovely blue color.

I hope I can make this bottle last until the photo shoot tonight (not likely) and remain upright.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation