Drip, Pansy, Buttonhook

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru January 2002:Drip, Pansy, Buttonhook
By Perruche_Verte on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 08:55 pm: Edit

Oh man, are you kidding?

The "Suisesse" (sp.?) is absolutely to die for. One recipe book translates it, delightfully, as "Swiss Miss". Unfortunately, that's now the name of a mediocre pre-mixed hot chocolate, at least in the U.S.

You have to like creamy, eggy sorts of things though.

Ian (Absinthedrinker) posted a brilliant recipe for it which differs quite a bit from the one in that book. Maybe he can be persuaded to do so again as I neglected to write it down (stupid, stupid). But I think the key is adding some heavy cream and ice cubes, and then mixing the stuff in a blender. Don't bother with the anisette either.

Take his advice and use the best absinthe you have. Mine was Segarra, at the time I tried it.

By Louched_Liver on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 11:48 am: Edit

Petermarc,
Thanks again. Nice lookin' spoon. The picon/beer thingy sounded pretty grisly, but you never know.
Speakin' of nasty, the "Suisse cocktail" recipe sounds truly horrific.

By Petermarc on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 10:29 am: Edit

you obviously missed the 'great picon/beer challenge'...not very good, unless your beer is really shit and you just gotta do something with it...hey! a reason for 'bud' to exist! it's bitter-orangey!
picon

By Louched_Liver on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 06:12 am: Edit

Petermarc,
Thank you very much! Are the 2 you mention palatable at all? Especially the picon/beer mix.

The hercules is the one that really got my attention. Odd name, doesn't really sound like a spirit.

By the way the book was originally copywritten in 1934.

By Petermarc on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 01:53 am: Edit

byrrh is a fortified wine and quinine(i belieive-like red vermouth) mix and amer picon is a fortified wine and orange peel mix...both are still popular in france...picon is usually mixed with beer...

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 11:27 pm: Edit

This is the book that reminded me of absinthe, that made me hit the search engine, that brought me to this site, that opened my eyes, that schooled my ass, that hooked me up, that made me the liver I am today.

Fondly fawning,
The Liver

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 09:33 pm: Edit

Any pansy suckers out there?

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 09:32 pm: Edit

Head,
Thanks pal. Anyone heard of the more whackass alcohols like byrrh, hercules, calisaya, amer picon, etc...

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 09:24 pm: Edit

Contents

By Head_Prosthesis on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 09:22 pm: Edit

Courtesy of The original "Grill Jockey"

Recipes

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation