Absinthe binge?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru January 2002:Absinthe binge?
By Rimbaud on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 03:20 pm: Edit

Blackjack,

I've been on both those AD's but I don't recall either causing strange dreams, although it's makes sense that they could...

~Rimbaud

By Baz on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 02:49 pm: Edit

Not too far off! I had a french foreign exchange student living with me in high school, and after his return to paris he invited me over. His name is Pierre (strange name for a french man, huh?). He lives in paris still, I think. Do you know him? (snicker)
His family lived in epinay, or at least his mother did.
I don't remember how I got to the eiffel from there, but I do remember a huge underground mall and a train. Perhaps the train dragged me...

By Petermarc on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 08:03 am: Edit

lol!

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 08:00 am: Edit

Well, maybe he just passed out at the foot of a lamp post when getting out of the bistro...Those damn hallucinogenic and vivid dream secondary effects!

By Petermarc on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 07:56 am: Edit

so you started drinking after you left orly airport, since you took a wrong turn and headed south instead of north and then had an absinthe at a friendly little bistro, were pointed in the right direction of the eiffel tower (and paris), where you braved the hoards of people on the champ de mars, finally ending up at your goal?...i like it...

By Baz on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 07:32 am: Edit

Yea, but I got over it-that was five years ago. I see you are from Paris. That is where I had my first absinthe (well actually it was a little place called epinay sur-orge, I think). New years eve, 1988. I later passed out with my head resting against a fence at one of the feet of the eiffel tower.

By Petermarc on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 07:10 am: Edit

it's always those dreams where you should be beating someone with a golf club and not a pool stick(and you can't figure out why) that are freaky...

By Baz on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 07:06 am: Edit

Most God-awful strange dreams I ever had were while taking mefliquil (sp?), which is an anti-malarial drug. Take the pill avery sunday night, and on tuesdays be very afraid to go to sleep. I never knew if I was going to die, fly, or beat my family to death on a golf course with a pool stick.

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 01:37 am: Edit

You want weird dreams? I suggest the antidepressants Effexor and Paxil.

By Verawench on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 08:58 pm: Edit

As a teenager, I used to have dreams about smoking cigars. Constant, constant dreams about smoking. Freud would have had a field day.

Then I picked up camel lights and lost my virginity and that solved that problem.

By Krinkov on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 08:53 pm: Edit

I just started drinking Absinthe and I had a VERY odd/realistic dream. I didnt think anything of it until reading the dream comments....hmmm

By Rimbaud on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 05:28 pm: Edit

once i had a dream that I grew a tiny flower out of the side of my neck. birds suckled on it's sweet nectar, children sniffed it's fragrant aroma, poets gazed upon it and were inspired. then some fucking dog came and pissed on it. this dream came, not after an absinthe binge, but after ingesting an entire bicycle, without sugar and water. then i went "goobu-glebbie-bokkeli-spokkeli-nishy-pishy-
woozivishknavagleehoo!!!"...true story.

By Louched_Liver on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 05:12 pm: Edit

Nazis in The Red Baloon?
Do you mean 99 Red Baloons by Nena?

By Louched_Liver on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 05:11 pm: Edit

Yer stutterin'.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 05:11 pm: Edit

then I say "OOPS"

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 05:10 pm: Edit

No, then we watch "The Red Balloon" at least sixteen times and in the end, the Nazis are victorious...

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 05:10 pm: Edit

No, then we watch "The Red Baloon" at least sixteen times and in the end, the Nazis are victorious...

By Louched_Liver on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 05:04 pm: Edit

And it's lust in the haybales!

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 05:00 pm: Edit

The goat gits a dirty martini and I munch down some liverwürst...

By Louched_Liver on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 04:59 pm: Edit

And then the goat gets preggers.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 04:55 pm: Edit

When I've got a goat...

By Louched_Liver on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 04:36 pm: Edit

When aren't you Pikkle?

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 04:30 pm: Edit

Was I pregnant and playing a ukulele?

By Louched_Liver on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 04:22 pm: Edit

Was the Dark Side of the Moon playing in the background?

By Mr_Rabid on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 04:19 pm: Edit

I wasn't going to say anything for fear of ridicule, but here goes.

The other night I had an absinthe dream so vivid I would swear it really happened.

As you may or may not know, I am color blind, almost (from what I can determine) see in 'black and white.' That is, I can't distinguish colors at all (when I drive I go by the position of the lights, and Serpis looks just like Segarra to me.)

Well, I think I know what 'colors' means now- I saw them for the first time as I began to dream.

The dream was also unusually violent- the first thing that happened was a terrible storm, a twister that picked my trailer up and flung it some distance. I killed an innocent bystander when I landed, and stole her shoes at the advice of some new age wiccan chick (this part isn't clear.)

I am not going into the part with the midgets as it is too freudian for words.

Suffice to say my dog was stolen, the local authorities could do nothing, and I was forced to melt a woman to death to get it back.

You were there, Louchey, and so were you Vera, and Pikkle you were there too!

Tell me it wasn't just a wormwood induced hallucination! Don't you remember?

By Louched_Liver on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 04:17 pm: Edit

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!!!
The Ypsilanti Theater Guild presents Pikkle in his one man show:

Otis-Mayberry's Overlooked Sage.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 04:16 pm: Edit

Try it with vicodin next time... the dreams will start before you even beging to snore!

By Louched_Liver on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 04:15 pm: Edit

A.V. guy,
For me the dreaming thing didn't start for a while. Guess the whatever it is had to build up 1st. Hang in there.

By Alisoviejoguy on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 04:08 pm: Edit

Haha thanks for suggesting me as a guinea pig wolfgang.

I was just curious if anyone knew if this stuff was damaging in large doses over a long period of time.

Unfortunately, I haven't had rich dreams after trying absinthe. I hardly ever dream, and I was hoping that the absinthe might change that for me.

That's about the only thing im disappointed with. I do enjoy the effects, sure they are subtle, but they are definitely there, which i still think is surprising because it's commercial brands which im trying out, with government imposed regulations. This stuff kicks ass!

Oh, and my name is the town i live in. Aliso Viejo.

By Heiko on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 04:04 pm: Edit

I've also been drinking absinthe for over a year now - the first half year I had about 2-3 glasses a day, then it wasn't that new anymore and I stopped drinking alcohol every evening (I was worrying about the alcohol, right!).
Now I'm still drinking absinthe two or three times a week, mostly only 1 or maybe 2 glasses, but when there's a real party, I drink 'till I collapse :-)
Once had 2.5l in four days at a music-festival, another time half a bottle of Herring in one night.

All in all I never felt any negative effects from it except that I sometimes couldn't remember what I had done half of the evening (but that was after something like 10 glasses in 1.5 hours...)

btw. there's people in Switzerland who have been drinking La Bleue for all of their lives and they are still very normal. And this is not just an assumption - there are quite some forumites here who know people from the Val de Travers.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 03:56 pm: Edit

wha he shed!

By _Blackjack on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 03:48 pm: Edit

Just to try to ballance the signal-to-abuse ratio, the concentration of the potentially toxic chemicals from wormwood in absinthe is so small that you could not possibly hope to reach a toxic level before your liver gave out.

I mean, unless you've been using copper salts for coloring...

Is that what you wanted to hear? I think the forum would agree that we would rather you NOT drink yourself into alcohol poisoning on absinthe, simply because it would look bad in the papers. I'm sure you can get one of those shatter-proof plastic jugs of cheap vodka if your looking for self-destruction.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 02:57 pm: Edit

min am jus abot dem tornado, lik with cheeez

By Louched_Liver on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 02:54 pm: Edit

My dreams are of some little green chick w/wings when I drink, or pink elephants.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 02:51 pm: Edit

im ben hamin dem dreem two! she waz nakid and blawnd heh heh an smelt lik buterskocth heh heh

By Louched_Liver on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 02:39 pm: Edit

Longnamed A person,
I've been drinking mostly absinthe to the exclusion of other booze for a year now. The only things I've noticed are far, far, fewer problems w/me noggin' the next day and, as many do, great, vivid dreaming. I used to only remeber 1 or 2 dreams every few months. Now it's almost every night. I ain't complainin'
I'm not exactly a light sipper either.

Hence,
Louched Liver

By Pikkle on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 02:29 pm: Edit

'im ben drinkin abthinse four too yeers strate an I aaynt had no illl afex frum it!

By Verawench on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 02:29 pm: Edit

Your month-long supply of Hill's and Absinth King is on its way.

By Baz on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 02:26 pm: Edit

I hereby volunteer for this experiment!
All in the name of science, of course...

By Verawench on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 01:36 pm: Edit

If you drink 140 proof booze on a regular basis, the most severe damage will come the alcohol itself.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 01:33 pm: Edit

I'm sure you would make a perfect guinea pig.

By Alisoviejoguy on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 01:28 pm: Edit

Just wondering, there are so many rumors about absinthe. Obviously, a binge for a month on absinthe would be bad just from the alcohol, but is there a problem with the wormwood content causing and permanent harm?

I know it's supposedly a poison, and I was wondering if the commercially available brands were safe to drink for extended periods, or if they contained the same poison? (Not that im planing on drinking every day until i go mad or anything, just want to know if I could if I wanted to. ;) )

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation