First trip to New Orleans in March...

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru February 2002:First trip to New Orleans in March...
By Raschied on Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 10:03 pm: Edit

I stayed at the Chataeu Sonesta on Iberville in January 2000 and would recommend it to anyone. Of course, I didn't have to pay the bill, though. (Gotta LOOOOVE those business trips!) It's right around the corner from Bourbon Street, and I loved the alligator sausage gumbo in the house restaurant.

Enjoy the trip! I definitely want to get back there again. Just don't pay anyone 5 bucks to tell you where you got your shoes at!

By Admin on Saturday, February 02, 2002 - 01:08 am: Edit

Old Dog New Trick, in the Quarter ... and, um. That's about it. NOLA is not vegetarian friendly. Even if meat does not appear as main ingredient, expect little bits of pork to be floating around in your food.

My visiting veggie friends used to arrive with napsacks packed with tofu.

By Rimbaud on Saturday, February 02, 2002 - 12:16 am: Edit

Anyone? Bueller?

By Rimbaud on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 03:31 pm: Edit

Sounds good! Maybe I'll get a chance to meet Mr.Breaux as well, if he's around while I'm there. Ted? Oh, and by the way...does anyone know of any restaurants that have good food for vegetarians as well as carnivores like myself? I'm asking because I'll be travelling with my girlfriend, and she's a veggie. Also, any opinions about the Hotel St. Pierre? That's where we booked a room for our stay.
Thanks again everyone for your input!

~21st Century Rimbaud (Gregor)

By Dvahacker on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 11:28 am: Edit

I second the recommendation on the Clover Grill and the Shim Sham (great shows). I'd like to add the Mona Lisa, too. It's just a pizza and pasta joint, but it rocks. You might want to check out Decatur street as well; lots of good bars and and muffelatas there.

By Barsnake on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 08:50 am: Edit

will be there for St. Patrick's day - Molly's Saloon is hosting a parade starting in the evening.
All the Irish pubs are tons o' fun.

By Cheri on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 05:11 am: Edit

Take me with you!

By Rimbaud on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 05:11 pm: Edit

Thanks all!

By Verawench on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 05:00 pm: Edit

Last time I was in NOLA there were no goth clubs. And the place smells mostly like urine and rotten wood.

I loved it. Go see the cemetaries and wander through the shops on Decateur.

By Admin on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 04:48 pm: Edit

The Old Absinthe House, one block down, has NOT been turned into a Daiquiri shop however, and this was the actual site of the bar of old. And it still has a fountain or two.

I think the Crow Bar was attempting a goth night when I was there a year ago ... Not sure if it took off or not.

What I miss is the Convent.

By Kali23 on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 04:44 pm: Edit

Definately check out the places Kallisti suggested in the Las Vegas Ideas thread - I highly recommend the Hideout (used to be Jewels - a notorious (even by our loose standards) leather bar. Now it's just a comfortable old dive with colorful patrons.)

There's also the Crow Bar which is just down the street from the Hideout (used to be the Blue Crystal and it may (or may not) still be somewhat of a goth hangout.)

There's also the Old Absinthe House Bar on Bourbon Street which still has the old fountains. I cry every time I pass since it's been turned into a Daquri shop (thanks's alot Joe Sinatra.)

And there is the Degas House at 2306 Esplanade - they've even got a bed and breakfast ( )

Oh, and anyone who's seen (or smelled) Bourbon Street certainly wouldn't want to eat anything that tasted like it

By Admin on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 04:43 pm: Edit

also, wish I could be there!

but I just went for Halloween ....

By Admin on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 04:43 pm: Edit

heh, I just posted this in a vegas thread for String, but here goes for you as well as this spot is more appropriate:

#1 stop: The Shim Sham Club

nice nightclub with different theme each night. I like it cuz there is a
dance floor, but the main bar is seperate if the music is too loud, also
has upstairs and balcony for hiding.

#2 stop: The HideOut Bar 1207 Decatur

The Marquis of Sepulchritude fame is bartending
here now, tho I think the 2am - 10am shift, but he makes alot of the cd's
in the juke, so it's very slick. Marcy is the daytime bartender, tell her or Marquis that
Rebecca from SF sent ya ... you could prolly drop my name at both these
places with some results. hehe ...

#3 stop: The Pharmacy Museum (touristy stop)

just super cool:

#4 stop: The Camelia Grill for funky food

super old style diner sandwich burger joint. 626 S. Carrollton
(Uptown/Riverbend on the St. Charles streetcar line, just after it turns
onto Carrollton at the end of St. Charles.

#5 stop: Coop's Bar & restaurant

Real good cajun creole on budget right down the street from the HideOut on
Decatur. My fave is the jambalaya fried chicken combo

#6 stop: Clover Grill 24 hrs best greasy spoon in the quarter, 24 hours!!!
super for breakfast.

#7 stop: The Saturn Bar

Address: 3067 Saint Claude Ave.
Phone: (504) 949-7532

very cool funky bar, outside of all the touristy sections.

By Louched_Liver on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 04:41 pm: Edit

Booze, piss, puke, and pavement.

By Etienne on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 04:39 pm: Edit

What does Bourbon street taste like?

By Tavarua on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 04:23 pm: Edit

Why go to NOLA, just check out Wendy's. They've got that new New Orleans BBQ burger. Apparently, according to them, it's just like NOLA because the spicy mustard "makes it taste like Bourbon Street." Makes sense, don't it?

By Rimbaud on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 04:13 pm: Edit

Okay, here's the deal:

I'm from New York City and I'll be visiting New Orleans for the first time during the 2nd week of March. I need some recommendations on things to do when I get there, absinthe-related and otherwise.
Maybe some of you in the area would like to meet up?
Let me know...

~21st Century Rimbaud (Gregor)

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation