The Seduction and Death of the Green Fairy

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru February 2002:The Seduction and Death of the Green Fairy
By Pablo on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 01:03 am: Edit

Hey, did they ever say WHO the "concerned health officials" were? Do health officials even know? You know, its actually quite sad. WNBC is supposed to be one of the shining examples of TV news in this country. Hard Copy was like Inside Edition or the national enquirer. Complete shit and a waste of air. (At least the people at Inside Edition are hard drinkers!)
Ok, I just lost my train of thought. Elimidate is on, and there is a chick with a huge rack.......

I LOVE AMERICAN TV!!!!!

By Bjacques on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 11:30 pm: Edit

And Abu Sayyaf make it in their seekrit jungle hideout on Basilan, so there's your terrorist connection, too. Gotta cover all the bases...

It'll curve yer spine, grow hair on your palms, and, God help us, bring us peace without honor.

By Pikkle on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 09:37 pm: Edit

Oh, that was a TV? I thought the picture on the wall was talking to me again...

By Louched_Liver on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 09:15 pm: Edit

Thank God I was hallucinating from drinking 5 glasses of Old Way, or I'd have believed that spiel on TV.

By Pikkle on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 09:08 pm: Edit

Bless you WNBC for showing me the evil of my ways... bad green fairy, BAD!!!

By Pikkle on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 09:01 pm: Edit

OH MY GOD, I'M AN ADDICT!!!!!!!

By Pikkle on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 09:01 pm: Edit

And last week, I lied in an online poll...

By Pikkle on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 09:00 pm: Edit

You think it's all the "Green Fairy?"

By Pikkle on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 08:59 pm: Edit

Like down the highway...

By Pikkle on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 08:59 pm: Edit

I did speed today actually...

By Mvario on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 08:41 pm: Edit

Heck, we better stop this absithe thing before it's too late! Our kis will be shooting it up in schools, and the addicts will be stealing our cars and raping our women!!! Get these boys some of that there methadone quick

By Larsbogart on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 08:36 pm: Edit

just in time to spearhead the crusade...now that america's mayor is out of a job.
larsbogart

By Louched_Liver on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 08:26 pm: Edit

WNBC bit just aired.
Hoo boy! As bad as you'd expect. Thujone=THC=evil.
Illegality mentioned constantly.
Absinthe called a drug.
Some doofus who made a wormwood maceration and passed out once and claims he got epilepsy from it.
A little taste of Ted and Justin saying they are going to have some on the market from an "undisclosed location" in the coming months.

By _Blackjack on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 08:20 pm: Edit

USA Today had a cover piece on the "dangers" of the "date rape drug" GHB last week. They failed to document more than one documented case of its being used in date rapes (as opposed to the thousands where alcohold was involved), and produced a death toll figure (which was actually the number of deaths in which the drug was mentioned on the medical report) for the past decade lower than the death toll for aspirin in a month. They also glossed over the fact that it was availible over the counter for 20 years without leading to the downfall of Western civilization...

Won't someone please think of the children?!

By Verawench on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 08:10 pm: Edit

Our biggest concern is the paranoia of others.

Yet we seem to do so little to fight our own.

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 07:54 pm: Edit

"Their people reside at a place called Sepulchritude.com in an "Absinthe" Forum. A very interesting bunch. They seem very bright and diverse, well read and creative yet(and this maybe due in fact to Thujone poisoning) they don't seem to do anything but fight, bicker, complain and worry. Sometimes switching alliances as quickly as an episode of WWF SMACKDOWN.

If you're looking for an opinion here's where you'll find one. If you're looking for passionate people who like to drink, then you've found a home.

Back to you BOB"

By Verawench on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 07:14 pm: Edit

local TV spots can be misleading. A "deterioration of an entire housing community" might turn out to be a slightly worse than usual mold problem or something. Let's wait till someone actually sees the program.

By Verawench on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 07:14 pm: Edit

double post.

By Don_Walsh on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 06:55 pm: Edit

So, just as the last dominos of European absinthe prohibition (like, France) fall, and Switzerland is mulling formal legalization of what is already de facto anyway, 'concerned health officials' and ignorant sensationalist muckraking asshole television newsies and their attack-dog inbred producers want to paint absinthe as 'illegal' and 'mind altering'?? It's about as mind altering as a bowl of Captain Crunch breakfast cereal.

What retrograde bullshit.

Don't these bottom feeders have anything better to do? Isn't there some algea they can lock from the sides of the tank or something?

By _Blackjack on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 04:31 pm: Edit

Slang?

"Yo yo yo...you know where I can score some G.F.?"

Time to stock up...

By Admin on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 03:35 pm: Edit

we've been through this before ... remember HARD COPY!?!?! And that was in '97 or early '98.

if that didn't spoil our good time, I dare WNBC to give us their best shot.

By Mvario on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 03:33 pm: Edit

I was just watching the 6:00 news on NBC to see if they said anything. Unfortunately they did. Sue Simmons (a local New York news hack) gave this teaser:

"And at 11:The Green Fairy, the slang term for an illegal and mind-altering drink that's making a comeback and health officials are concerned".

Oh God! You just gotta be amazed at their capacity for sensationalism.

By Chevalier on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 02:12 pm: Edit

Not to mention Rip Taylor flitting about in an emerald tutu, waving his wand and shrieking "I'm the WEAL gween feawy!!"

By Pikkle on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 01:33 pm: Edit

Great... Can't wait for all the college bars to pick up on this now. "Segarra Shooters" and "Green Headed Sluts." And don't forget the proverbial absinthe bong. We're all doomed... time to start smoking opium again.

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 12:47 pm: Edit

You're all gonna be stars...

Great big shining STARS!!!

By Rimbaud on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 12:35 pm: Edit

It's true. I was given a hint to watch the 11:00 news tonight by someone in the know...

~21st Century Rimbaud

By Chevalier on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 11:28 am: Edit

"At 11 p.m.:
It is steeped in rumor and mystery: Absinthe, the so-called "Green Fairy" that enchanted many an artist and writer, is making a resurgence some 90 years after it was banned. NewsChannel 4's Tony Aiello reports on the potential dangers."

Well, I'll be a purple-helmeted chimpanzee's uncle. Perhaps the blurb was not on WNBC's website this morning?

By Petermarc on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 10:43 am: Edit

www.wnbc.com

check out---and, at 11 pm

seems not like bullshit to me...(except it's at 11 pm and not 10)

By Chevalier on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 08:22 am: Edit

Well, WNBC's website doesn't show it in any of its program listings for today or tonight, and the 10pm show, "Crossing Jordan", has nothing to do with absinthe. Sounds like it could turn up as a small segment of a news program, but who knows when?

By Oxygenee on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 08:09 am: Edit

The channel I believe is WNBC, and the latest intelligence I have is that our very own Mr Breaux and Mr Sledge may be featured, defending the honour of the Green Fairy....

By Pikkle on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 06:14 am: Edit

Can't find anything on any of the New York stations...

By Pikkle on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 05:53 am: Edit

What? I didn't hear you the first time...

By Marccampbell on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 05:42 am: Edit

sounds like bullshit to me.

By Marccampbell on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 05:42 am: Edit

sounds like bullshit to me.

By Pablo on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 02:34 am: Edit

I havn't but if its true, its a bad sign. All the other channels will have to follow suit with something similar.

But it is sweeps, so these types of stories are to be expected. Unfortunately.

By Oxygenee on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 01:28 am: Edit

I've just heard a rumour that NBC has produced a scaremongering program about the absinthe revival called "The Seduction and Death of the Green Fairy". The New York NBC channel has apparently scheduled it for tonight at 10.00pm Eastern. Anyone else heard about this?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation