Don't order from Dell

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru February 2002:Don't order from Dell
By Mr_Rabid on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 11:01 am: Edit

XP has a 'compatibility' feature that lets it act like older Windoze OSes... I have seen mixed results.

By Pablo on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 01:17 am: Edit

Bill Gates eats small children and dances naked in the woods!!!!!

I saw him!!!! (shudder)

(pablo goes to scrub eyeballs with brillo pads)

By Pikkle on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 12:27 am: Edit

Yes... idle hands are the devils play things... but the road to hell is lined with good intentions! Praise our dark lord Bill Gates! Oh shit... my Mac just warned me not to invoke his presence again...

By Heiko on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 12:24 am: Edit

2nd double-post in 30 minutes, I quit!

By Heiko on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 12:23 am: Edit

Pikkle,
not totally - my handheld is a Handspring Visor running PalmOS 3.5.2H.
That thing needs to be reliable, so Windows wasn't an option ;-)

By Heiko on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 12:20 am: Edit

Pikkle,
not totally - my handheld is a Handspring Visor running PalmOS 3.5.2H.
That thing needs to be reliable, so Windows wasn't an option ;-)

By Heiko on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 12:16 am: Edit

Mr Rabid,
I know what you're talking about - I especially hate websites that make me watch a 10 minute fullscreen-presentation with loud music.
the answer: alt+F4 ;-)

Anatomist,
I guess there's no chance for old games in Win2k - when they don't run, they don't run (at least this is what I found out when trying to get Dungeon Keeper 2 to run)

Old DOS games should run under 98/ME, but you probably need some of the old DOS-skills (freeing up memory and stuff) and it could be a hassle...

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 10:33 pm: Edit

You all kiss Bill Gates' left 'nad!!!

By Anatomist on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 09:57 pm: Edit

I'm not a computer whiz, but the only reason I could see to buy a Dell or Gateway was for convenience and their 'come to your house and plug it in for you' service plan. With my comparisons, I found much better prices for the same crap by shopping around at places like buy.com and piecing together what I wanted that way.

Speaking of classic games, I want to play my old Total Annihilation game, but I can't get it to run on ME or 2000 professional. I searched the net for a patch or something, but the game and it's manufacturer are defunct and no one seems to care anymore. Anyone know anything about some kind of generic patch to make 95/98 games work on the new OS's?

K.

By Marccampbell on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 08:56 pm: Edit

I'm playing Wizardry 8. A classic role player.

By Mr_Rabid on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 08:55 pm: Edit

If only everyone would. There's a site I need to use for work (third party.)

I have to wait for an applet to load so I can see the page. Just to see it. Applet. Loading. Forever. To see the logo.

Keep It Simple Stupid! I want a red hot branding iron with that on it, and a chance to use it...

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 08:00 pm: Edit

Heiko, I wasn't proposing USING a 386-DX33 today, unless you want to run Win 3.x on it and who would want to?

As for Java, well, I feel about Java (as a website builder) like I feel about frames. There's uses for them but most people use them inappropriately and promiscuously just because they CAN, and all this results in is a loss of bandwidth. So I avoid them (on my own websites) like the plague.

By Heiko on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 02:11 pm: Edit

"mailto : Seti @ home"

LOL!!!

By Heiko on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 02:10 pm: Edit

"but I know that I won't be able to do email any faster, any more than my present machine lets me do it fastrer than the 33 MHz 386DX-33 notebook I used to have."

The problem is, if you need to reinstall some software on that 4(?)86 DX-33, you're going to have problems because the new software was made for 500MHz+ computers and is going to be incredibly slow. You're lucky if you still have the old software to reinstall.

On the other hand, I recently installed Win 95c on some really old computers at University as "internet-typewriters"(a P75 with 32 MB RAM, a 486DX-33 with 12MB RAM and 250MB HD...). German Universities don't have enough money for such stuff, you know. Only Professors get shiny new pcs, the assistants get the old crap...

The only thing that's not possible on the 486 with Opera 6.0 is watching Java-content on websites. Possible, yes, but...slooooooooow...

My workplace computer is a PII 400 with 128MB RAM, 20GB HD, Windows NT 4.0 - it's stable like a rock and it would be the perfect computer for about 80% of consumers. No problems at all with everything I need to do on it - it can even crunch some Seti@home workunits in the background with no effect on the actual work speed.

I'm writing this on my own pc, 1400MHz Athlon overclocked to 1512MHz, 512MB DDR-RAM, 2x60GB HD as Stripe RAID - does it make a difference for this post? No! But it makes the hell of a difference for the DVD that is just being encoded to Divx in the background....

By Scottagee on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 01:56 pm: Edit

Thats about the same entry level system I use here Don. At that level the upgrade path is limited but I can sell systems like that for between $650 and $950 US depending on AMD or Intel and on monitor size. To me that makes them disposable in a couple of years.

At the next level say about $1500 US you can buy a system that has at least a five year window of being able to upgrade to the latest and greatest. However as usual speed is just a question of money. How fast do you want to go? I do a lot of personalizing which either appeals to you or you consider it a waste of time and money. I do special lighting and windows and case painting and fan control and...well you get the idea.

I agree with you about email and for that matter most accounting type programs. I do my email and my invoicing and payroll on a 500mhz laptop. Besides computer building I am in the temp help business for engineering and IT types. I pay and bill for around 100 people weekly and this little 500 does great.

My computer building started as a hobby and has become somewhat bigger. My game machine is the most powerfull system in my house. I am a late night online gamer and need my framerates!!

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 09:51 am: Edit

A few hundred with that kind of money...

By Artist on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 09:42 am: Edit

...should've bought a Big Mac...

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 05:24 am: Edit

Should've bought a Mac-11.

By Pikkle on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 09:53 pm: Edit

Should have bought a Mac...

By Thegreenimp on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 08:32 pm: Edit

Get a Micron if you want a PC.

By Don_Walsh on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 06:07 pm: Edit

(to Scottagee)

As a user, observer and sometimes newspaper columnit about PCs for 17 years...the problem of upgrade path is not limited to the makers you mention. Motherboard configurations, RAM types, chipsets, case configurations etc often change and obviously, BIOS types and HDD capacity also represent compatibility issues...not to mention cpu speed.

So, straightforward upgrades like changing out a HDD, and/or CPU, and/or motherboard are mostly a thing of the past.

In Thailand, entry level is now 1 Ghz, 256K ram and 40 Gb HDD. You simply can't buy anything else, new, either as components or as assembled PCs. Computer shops come and go, service sucks, there is no profit margin, and overclocks and remarks abound.

I'm still running a 233MHz, 128K Sram, 10 Gb system with a rack mount and a spare 4 Gb drive as backup, Windows 95 Thai Edition OSR 2.

No problems.

When I 'upgrade' it will be to some monster speed demon, and this machine will be for my son to play games on, but I know that I won't be able to do email any faster, any more than my present machine lets me do it fastrer than the 33 MHz 386DX-33 notebook I used to have.

By Heiko on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 05:23 pm: Edit

btw. if there was "some engineering issue" with your system, you could be very glad to be able to order a new system and not get the problem-sys repaired. A system that makes problems from the beginning is often never going to quit making problems...

By Heiko on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 05:19 pm: Edit

Only when you build a computer yourself you get the full potential out of every component - theoretically... if you don't, you have to beat yourself, unfortunately ;-)

By Rimbaud on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 02:19 pm: Edit

I would never buy a Dell computer, if for no other reason than I hate that fucking annoying asshole in their TV commercials. I wanna strangle the fuck out of him every time I see it. "Dude, you're gettin' a Dell?" How about, "Dude you're gettin' a punch in the face?" End of rant.

~21st Century Rimbaud

By Wolfgang on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 01:29 pm: Edit

Why don't you invest in a good old pressure cooker instead ? :)

By Pikkle on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 01:28 pm: Edit

By Verawench on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 01:26 pm: Edit

Oh yeah, and all this has been dragging on for close to a month now.

By Verawench on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 01:25 pm: Edit

They cancelled my order twice

Once, they couldn't verify my funds so they waited a week and a half before cancelling the order and letting me know (I had to call them) that it was a discrepancy in the address.

So I clarified things with my bank and they redid the order. Everything was hunky dory, the order status said 'in production" and when i called to check on the shipping date, they said it was already built and would go out today.

By today the order was - once again - cancelled. Turns out the system, which I ordered online, was not compatible, there was an engineering issue, something didn't play together and so bam, the order was cancelled. Of course they weren't able to tell me what the problem was or why they cancelled the order without letting me know what the deal was or if it could be fixed without cancelling the entire order. Anyway, the customer rep tried to transfer me to a sales rep to place another order but I sure as hell wasn't going to try this bullshit for the 3rd time.

So, "Dude, I'm not getting a Dell" afterall.

By Scottagee on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 11:32 am: Edit

People who intend to ever upgrade a system should not buy from Dell,Gateway,Compaq or any other dealer like them. These companies while building reliable systems use so many propietary parts it makes them obsolete too soon. In most cases if you want to buy a new mainboard and cpu it wont fit in your Dell case. Also the current board in your Dell most likely won't fit in a cool aftermarket case. Your best bet is usually a local shop that uses mainstream parts to build with. If you have the skills to do it yourself that's even better. And if you want a disposable computer there is nothing wrong with Dell.

I build systems for sale but only in my local area. Kind of a mom and pop shop. I build specialty gaming systems and systems for students. Sort of the high and low end of computers. No beige boxes for me!! I don't want to compete over the internet and have great respect for people such as Don and Ted that intend to.

Long time(over a year) reader of this forum and Jade mailing list devotee. I hope my first post is helpfull to someone.

By Pikkle on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 09:35 am: Edit

By Verawench on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 09:25 am: Edit

Just a suggestion from someone screwed over and pissed off by the jerks at Dell computers.

Build your own, buy a Gateway, Compaq, Sony, whatever. DON'T FUCKING ORDER FROM DELL.

fuming mad,
Wench

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation