Thoughts on WNBC Story

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru February 2002:Thoughts on WNBC Story
By Baz on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 09:42 am: Edit

exactly my point. Drug laws are fucked.

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 08:25 am: Edit

Dr Alex Shulgin, of Dow, prolific synthesist of chemical warfare agents and hallucinogens, such as 'STP' -- was the one who prposed that Myristicin ought to be a hallucinogen.

However despite a lot of publicity, and at a time when things were being added to DEA schedule willy-nilly, myristicin and nutmeg never were suppressed.

Why not? Shulgin's proposition, like the one about THC and thujone, NEVER STOOD UP UNDER SCRUTINY.

Nutmeg probably is more 'dangerous' than wormwood.

Go figure.

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 08:04 am: Edit

Nutmeg is only dangerous if you way overdo it.

The active component is myristicin.

Sassafras: active component safrole. Mild carcinogen.

Both closely related to vanillin, hence chocalate.

By Mvario on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 07:36 am: Edit

http://momoney.ire.org/dij/by-state.ptmpl?sn=NY

By Pablo on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 12:21 am: Edit

Pssst! I got nut meg for sale. Give you a good price. This stuff is the kind man!

Come to me if you wanna get your nut off!
(wait, that sounds wrong! no wonder illegal nutmeg sales arn't on the rise!)

By Verdigris_Harpy on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 12:41 pm: Edit

Hey all-I still think I ought to call
Tony Aiello in on the Lutefiske people- "dried"
cod "soaked" in LYE.A Toxin.And it makes people
happy.And olives.Soaked in LYE to make em fit
to pickle.And GREEN too.Toxic and green.And
they taste good.

Not yelling, but just emphasing.These are "dangerous" products,and children are eating them
at holidays,right along side the sage stuffing
and punkin pie- with nutmeg.

I have never tried absinthe,and even I
see the weirdness at work in all this.

By Tabreaux on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 12:37 pm: Edit

"Meanwhile anyone seeking absinthe with service by a Harvard grad reminiscent of Alexandre Dumas for your quiet private repast near Harvard U let me know."

T.A. Breaux is my name, Holworthy #24 (Harvard Yard) was once my domain.

By Pikkle on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 11:57 am: Edit

Why wouldn't they do an expose on nutmeg? Probably pressure from the agricultural community... if they can target numeg, what would be next? Navy beans? Hominy? Sassafras?

Hmm... there's a thought, root beer flavored absinthe... maybe like "Sassasinthe or Rootsinthe." My experiments with Segarra and cachaca didn't turn out too well unfortunately...

By Lmarchegrisiste on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 11:45 am: Edit

I think if things go well rather than an outright absinthe ban or nebulous nonenforcement the US could see an adoption of the same standards as the EC x<10 mg/kg. Rather than making all absinthe unavailable it would block those specialty labels offering 30 60 and 100 mg/kg

By hewing to such standards in media ops absinthe not just "Absente" would with luck be available over the liquor counter. Meanwhile anyone seeking absinthe with service by a Harvard grad reminiscent of Alexandre Dumas for your quiet private repast near Harvard U let me know. Moulin Rouge. New bottles but no bottle sales.

By Baz on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 10:51 am: Edit

Anyway, my point was about nutmeg, which is dangerous. Why don't these folks in the media bring this into the spotlight?

Ban the spices! Do it for the Children!

By Baz on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 10:45 am: Edit

No, yes, maybe. The "visions" reminded me of the animation in those books "where the wild things are" I grow her in my house, next to my bed. I cherish her. I admit that I said that WAY to offhandedly, but I do respect her. She is an old friend now, but a powerful teacher.
I did not start with her in the right way. I had no guidance. She taught me herself.
Sorry for the disrespect. I stand by the imagery, but wish to restate the attitude that came with it.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 10:30 am: Edit

Baz:

Many people would compare your definition:

" salvia divinorum. I have tried that. A 15 minute "where the wild things are" on acid."

to an atheist's description of drinking consecrated wine during the Catholic Mass as "being stinking drunk".

Obviously, you did not communicate with her in the right context, with the right people, with the right guidance. And mostly, with the right, respectful and humble, attitude.

I suggest you read "Pharmako-poeia", by Dale Pendell. He will give you very useful information about how to approach that particular ally.

In the meantime...don't mention her, OK?

By Baz on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 10:00 am: Edit

These kids are choking down an entire mccormik spice bottle of nutmeg to feel wierd for a few hours and be hung over for a week.

By Baz on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 09:59 am: Edit

OK, sorry, how do I turn that into a link?

By Baz on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 09:57 am: Edit

pseudo pop-culture drug site that can answer your questions:
www.erowid.org/plants/nutmeg/nutmeg/shtml
also, salvia divinorum. I have tried that. A 15 minute "where the wild things are" on acid. Most amazing experience...

By Chevalier on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 09:43 am: Edit

Do the Czechs make nutmeg? Does SC sell it? When will JL come out with it?

By Wolfgang on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 09:35 am: Edit

Nutmeg ? How much and how shall you take it to feel such effects ? I use it for cooking and never felt anything...

By Baz on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 08:41 am: Edit

OH YEA-
I forgot to tell y'all about the new underground drug-
it's legal-
it's terrible to your liver-
it causes hallucinations-
it takes twelve hours to begin working-
it gives you a hangover that can last over a week-
every one of you have tasted it-

nutmeg.

By Baz on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 08:30 am: Edit

Talk about contitutional rights to the families of asshole drug dealers. They take the house, the car, the bank accounts, everything. Even if the family knew nothing. In kentucky, they impose a tax on you for marijuana possession. If you are charged with having X amount of MJ, the tax you for it. I SAID CHARGED. You can be tried, found not guilty, and still the tax remains. It makes my head swell with rage, and I have bloodied my head banging it against the wall. Recently, a movement began to change this, but that movement has gone about as well as the "movement" of a 500 pound cheese eater-slow, struggling,lots of grunting, and smelling of dairy...

By Bjacques on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 02:17 am: Edit

Sooo...

When does absinthe turn up in a tv series (if it hasn't already)? It'll be a groaner, but it'll join the proud ranks of the Quincy punk episode and the Dragnet one wherein Sgt. Joe Friday goes head to head with the surrogate Timothy Leary.

By Pablo on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 01:13 am: Edit

Talk about constitutional rights to the thousands of people locked up under the new anti terrorism laws without charge.
No one cared because they are all of middle eastern decent, but wait until they start going after white boys (like me). Also, with the new terrorism laws, search and seizure of firearms is becoming easier and easier.

I live in California, where the gun laws may as well have been written by a bible thumpin retarded 3 year old. I figure its only a matter of days before they come for my collection!

("Of course sir! A stinger missile is often used for duck hunting!";)

By Pan on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 12:14 am: Edit

I love the Constitution. I really do. The Law is a surrogate religion for me, if I could describe its hold over me . . . well, I guess I don't to this crew of obsessors. *teasing wink*

The most phenomenal thing I've come to realize about the Constitution is that the very men who wrote it were unsure what the meaning of their words were, witness the raging debates across the country that gave rise to the Federalist papers, and to the falling-outs among that first generation of American politicians.

*sheepish grin* Sorry, this is kinda my field. Lemme get off my soap box . . .

-Dev

By Pikkle on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 12:07 am: Edit

The beauty of the constitution is that it is constantly open to interpretation according to the sentiments of the times...

The ugly of the constitution is that it is constantly open to interpretation according to the sentiments of the times...

No matter what we fucking lose!!! Hahahaha!!!!

By Etienne on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 08:08 pm: Edit

Constitution?? What the Hell does the Government care about the Constitution? Try that one on a firearms charge.

By Mvario on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 05:50 pm: Edit

What about imports? I get mine from a certain country known for its La Bleue for 15 bucks.

By Pikkle on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 05:04 pm: Edit

I just brought four cartons back from South Carolina... $20 bucks a carton... probably quit after that, always do...

By Pan on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 05:01 pm: Edit

Well, the good news is that duty-free internet purchasing is protected by the Constitution: no interstate taxes.

Read, Section 9, Clause 5: "No Tax or Duty shall be laid on Articles exported from any State."

So as long as I, in NJ, order from Virginia, they shouldn't be able to touch me.

If they try to screw with that, then I'm gunna bet they'll have the Supreme Court tell them that it's unconstitutional.

I heard that you can only buy a certain amount at once, is that true?

-Dev

By Mvario on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 04:27 pm: Edit

Ah, ATF, damn treasury agents, remind me of the Secret Service, not the one who guard the President, the ones who carry out vendettas and manufacture evidence agains hackers. More fascists.

And I hope they leave the cigarette thing alone... until some news story get all hyper about how you can buy cigarettes on the internet. Sorry, but I don't think I should have to pay $6 a pack when $4.50 is damn tax, and it's going up again in March. For the time being I can at least get them at duty free prices on the net.

By Mvario on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 04:26 pm: Edit

And you know, people who don't know any better are going to get just ONE thing out of that story...

4 months from now you're going to be at a party or in a bar and the topic of Absinthe is going to come up, and someone is gonna say "well I heard on the news that it causes epilepsy". that's the one nugget that John Q is going to take away from that story.

By Pikkle on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 04:10 pm: Edit

Ted... it's good to know you're out there looking out for everyone's best interests. We need a voice of reason and knowledge in the midst of this madness...

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 01:08 pm: Edit

I spoke to the reporter yesterday. He remarked at the number of negative responses he was receiving about the report. I gave him some direct feedback on his information sources.

The 'wine expert' knew nothing of absinthe, and was ill-qualified to offer a scientific opinion, unless idiocy has become a science following the release of Absente. This is bad.

Wannabe homebrewers will continue to promote the use of bogus 'recipes' easily found on the web, which do not create absinthe, yet can potentially create something hazardous instead (like the Dutchman realized). Even worse, these people dole out the fruit of their ignorance at parties, or worse, sell them illegally. Interestingly enough, this parallels the 'bad absinthe' problem that existed a century ago, which is nothing but bad.

The abundance of ignorance coupled with clandestine stupidity makes for a bad equation. Speaking personally, rest assured that it is my m.o. to seize every possible opportunity to counter stupidity (and those who promote it) as I see fit.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 12:58 pm: Edit

Feel free to copy/paste my generic letter ;-)

By Scoobydoo on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 12:15 pm: Edit

Ah well..that sucks about the common letter...I guess he IS an asshole..let's set our green fairies on him!

By Chevalier on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 12:03 pm: Edit

"Wonder if he even read what we wrote?"

Wonder if Tony even wrote what "he" wrote.

By Chevalier on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 12:00 pm: Edit

Wolfgang, that generic letter of yours is so good, so straight-to-the-point, that I hope you'll consider donating it to the "Absinthe Forum FAQ" for any of us to adapt and send off when necessary ... which seems more and more often these days.

By Louched_Liver on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 11:57 am: Edit

Got my form response from Tony A-holeillo too.
I feel all warm and fuzzy inside that he cared enough.
Wonder if he even read what we wrote?

By _Blackjack on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 11:14 am: Edit

I got the exact same letter from Tony Aiello. I wrote him a reasoned response (including the scientific data and citations) on the assumption he was actually reponding to my points, not sending out a form letter. Ah, well...

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 10:53 am: Edit

I just created a generic letter to send to those poor uneducated journalist who spread false informations about absinthe (because I`m bored of always writing the same thing over and over again...)

Quote:

Hi, I just read your article ( insert ref. here )

Here are some quotes to remind you what you wrote... (insert some stupid quotes)

This is all uneducated bullshit...

Now let me kindly show you the way to this site where you will learn many things about absinthe from people who knows what they are talking about:

http://www.feeverte.net/

You can start by reading this, it will offer you a nice and gentle introduction :

http://www.feeverte.net/absinthe-muse.html

Then read the FAQ and if you have more questions, you can join the forum and ask.

Have a good day,
Wolf.

Wolf-the copy/paste educator ;-)

By Scoobydoo on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 10:18 am: Edit

The letter seems fine.
Very nice in fact.
He must be a politician too..

By Chevalier on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 09:51 am: Edit

All things considered, the letter's fine, although the THC references are annoying.

By Pikkle on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 08:47 am: Edit

Okay kiddies... looks a little like a form type letter to me but it is a response and it is from the desk of one Tony Aiello... it states nothing new really and weakly defends the article by reiterating points in the article, that's all...

"Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding my story on absinthe.

I'm sorry you found it "sensationalized"; it certainly was not intended as
such. There is an aura of mystery about absinthe and that's what I was
trying to communicate in the story. While I pointed out that "Moulin Rouge"
portrayed absinthe as a kind of liquid LSD, I also reported "that's fiction,
overstating absinthe's effect."

I reported that the molecular structure of thujone is "similar" to THC, and
that is well-documented in the material I reviewed, including the final
chapter of Barnaby Conrad's excellent book, Absinthe; history in a bottle.
As I reported, doctors at UC-Irvine last year linked thujone's effect in the
brain to that causing a form of epilepsy.

I also pointed out that the levels of thujone in most commercially-produced
absinthes is "very low." And Jason DeBoer, who became ill after imbibing
homemade absinthe, is only one of several people who've reported such a
problem. Doctors in Oregon recently published a paper detailing health
problems related to purchase of wormwood over the internet. I included
Jason to show how the allure of absinthe has inspired some people to take
stupid risks.

If there's one thing I've learned about absinthe through this process, it's
this; the drink inspires a passionate response from those who believe its
reputation has been unfairly tarnished by fear and myth. It will be
interesting to gauge the success of Ted Breaux and Justin Sledge, who are
determined, as Justin said in my story, "to return absinthe to a place of
respectability."

Regards -- Tony Aiello"

By Raschied on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 08:11 am: Edit

ATF, God bless 'em...used to call themselves the BATF until people started referring to them as "BATFags."

no-Knock warrants, seizure of property from innocent people, these guys are the Gestapo of America, and the average citizen still has no clue.

Keep 'em off my porch, thank you.

By Pablo on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 04:57 am: Edit

Nolan, I take no offense. I sit here at work day after day and bang my hear against my desk because im surrounded by idiots. There are a few people who got into this business because we feel that the press is a cornerstone of this country, and felt we might actually do some good. Fat chance. A few VERY rich people own all the media outlets in the U.S., so we are virtually told what to do, write, say and show.
It is a daily struggle. We win a few battles, but they win the war. The latest piece on WNBC was a great example. Who knows what the reporter intended, but they time the "editing" process was over, it could have changed 180 degrees.
So, I completely understand. Besides,most of those fuckers just play journalists on TV!
(pablo stocking up on ammo for the work place rampage)

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 04:31 am: Edit

I'm just speculating, I know of no reason to assume that such action will be taken, but to me it seems to be the logical path IF that bureau were to become interested at all.

By Pan on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 04:02 am: Edit

Oops, let me change kinda what I just wrote . . .

I thought it might be something like that, but I was only guessing from the name and 'cause I read somewhere they're officially part of the Treasury Dept.

Thanks for the info . .

-Dev

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 03:58 am: Edit

DEA would be disinterested until and unless the stuff got onto a DEA schedule (of controlled substances) which is very unlikely; and if it did it would impact the herbal business, food supplements ets that are not part of the present FDA purvue.

The job of interdicting entry is of course that of Customs, and Customs seems to be highly disinterested. As I said they have other fish to fry, real sharks, so why pay attention to a harmless minnow?

ATF has a dual function. They regulate the alcohol industry and they enforce the criminal statutes relating to bootlegging, moonshining etc. Their problem is that the price of sugar has reduced the moonshining business to a non-problem, simply because it is unprofitable these days to make moonshine.

(They have a similar 'Maytag Repairman' status re tobacco products smuggling across state lines. Snore.)

That leaves them with firearms so they have busies themselves with disarming drug gangs (see what a bangup job they have done?) and they also have responsibility for arson and bombing cases (although they run into some turf problems with the Bureau on some cases). For a while they tried to get into anti-gambling enforcement but that didn't take off.

Anyway if they were to get involved I would expect their target to be the domestic sellers -- who are selling liquor across state lines without a license, doesn't matter whether it is absinthe or Jim Beam, that's a federal felony) and, to make some examples, their customers.

By Nolan on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 03:57 am: Edit

No,Don is right on the money with this one,A.T.F.
THEY ARE THE ONES THAT BROUGHT US WACO AND RUBY RIDGE ALONG WITH VARIOUS OTHER CRAP!! I COULD USE OTHER EXPLETIVES BUT WON'T.!!!The average american is the average american,hasn't been acceptable for many long years.Average just ain't gettin it done any more.And I am tired of the press suckin the guvmint tit/prick for info/disinfo.And tryin to tell the people it is right when it is unadulterated bullshit!!! The press is the major fuckin problem as regards to disinformation in the U.S.A, I KNOW YOU SAID YOU ARE A REPORTER PABLO and I ain't singlin you out but the press in the U.S. is way behind the times compared to the rest of the world,that is why we have short wave radios and the internet thank gawd!!!!!!!!!!

By Pan on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 03:41 am: Edit

Don, you would know and I don't, so I'm honestly asking . . .

Would ATF be involved in stopping it's importation? I would imagine that would be Customs or DEA. ATF would mostly be responsible for stopping its transport and sale WITHIN the US, right? And is ATF only interested in enforcing . . . how can I put this . . . regulations on "semi-legal", restricted products (Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms)?

Not to say that ATF couldn't find a way to MAKE it their business, if it wouldn't necessarily be it right now.

Like I said, I dunno. I have some understanding of the FBI and CIA charters, but no clue about what the purview of the ATF actually is. If you know, I'd love to find out.

Thanks!
-Dev

By Pablo on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 03:29 am: Edit

Good point Don. Dosn't make me feel better though. I have to agree with sentiments expressed below. I think that the everage american would not accept absinthe without a very careful introduction.

Talk real slow.

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 02:39 am: Edit

Wrong agencies. Customs and DEA have real jobs to do and don't need to look for phony issues to deal with. There's a smaller agency that really has very little to do, and is always looking for ways to empire-build; and is concerned with liquor.

ATF.

By Pablo on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 12:33 am: Edit

You know, if they get enough complaints they may do a follow up piece. I'm not going to say if thats good or bad. ANY news piece can be slanted depending on how the sources are used, especially in tv. Dosn't matter what the interviewee says if he looks like the guy who hit you up for change while holding his shit stained pants up with one hand at the bus stop!

My concern isn't the media, its the gov't agencies that have a beaurocracy to maintain. The Only reason marajuana isn't legal medically in California (it passed the votes) is because the law enforcement community have a huge influence on the gov't. They also have massive budgets to support and try and increse.

Bottom line: all the DEA or Customs has to do to try and convince congress that they need more money is say "see! we have this huge problem with absinthe smugglers!"
Congress has neither the brain power nor the will to disagree.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 08:57 pm: Edit

Yeah, that's true, name one tv personality, anchor type who isn't some sort of substance abuser... and why don't they do these sorts of exposés on each other??? Hmm...

By Heiko on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 07:53 pm: Edit

Quote:

"Wormwood contains "thujone," which is similar to the stuff in marijuana that causes a high."

They said "Stuff" Stuff... which stuff?

That also made me laugh out loud - it sounds like "you know, that stuff, dude, whatcha call it? Fuck, I forgot how them stuff's called..."

i.e. it sounds like the author had had a little too much of that stuff before writing the article :-)

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 07:51 pm: Edit

Bear in mind that in the long run these overpaid and double digit IQ telenewsies are going to lose the deathgrip they now have on what the public sees, hears and is forcefed to think, as the country and the world shift to the more participatory give and take of the information superhighway.

The Tube and its passive audience are being supplanted by The Net where Joe Nobody can put up a website and go toe to toe with WNBC, something Joe Nobody can't do with TV (there was all that public access talk a while back but nothing came of it.)

So the power of the Tony Aiellos to LIE like this one did, and get away with it, is waning.

Enjoy the rest of your life, Tony. You're about to move from being a wannabe to a never-was without stopping at GO on the way to collect your $200.

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 07:42 pm: Edit

See! This is how Barry Manilow writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

It's that word association thing.

By Mvario on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 07:33 pm: Edit

Obviously a very slanted piece. Sure, they "qualified" a lot of their statements, but almost universally they made references to drugs (bad, bad, drugs) and other illegal and nefarious things. Qualifying that they don't quite mean it, but planting, and then fertilizing those images in viewers minds, over and over again.

Once Hailed As A Mind-Opening Liqueur, Absinthe Is Illegal, And Perhaps Dangerous

Let's see... "Mind-Opening" - reference to LSD, "Illegal", and "Dangerous", qualified with "perhaps", but make sure "dangerous" is in there.

considered to provide a release of the mind

More LSD references.

perhaps the madness— of Van Gogh

"madness"... perhaps.

banned 90 years ago after being considered a threat to public health

no need to explain.

illegal, in the U.S. and most of the world

temptation

as in Adam and Eve.

they order it over the Internet

You know, that place where hackers live and psychos get plans for bombs and kids get abducted by pedophiles. God save us from the Internet!

ritual reminiscent of preparing a drug

There ya go.

If you know the right people

Kinda like prohibition

an underground situation that is very clandestine

Like terrorism

potentially dangerous drug

Like heroin

a toxin found in Wormwood

Toxin = death

similar to the stuff in marijuana

More bad drugs

FDA has banned thujone

The FDA loves us. They know what's best for us.

thujone acts on a brain receptor responsible for a form of epilepsy

It causes epilepsy for christssake!

Sorry, I can't go on, I'm half way through and EVERY paragraph, even if it doesn't come right out and say absinthe is liquid narcotics, is so full of negative wording, inferences and innuendo that it shoots to hell any claim these folks might have of "objective journalism".

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 07:04 pm: Edit

Pan: sounds like First Law, inertia.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 06:42 pm: Edit

"Absinthe fueled the genius” and perhaps the madness” of Van Gogh, who drank it heavily."

And everything else for that matter...

"An absinthe party is an underground situation that is very clandestine at the moment," New York wine and spirits expert Paul Pacult said."

So underground it's broadcast on the internet!

"Wormwood contains "thujone," which is similar to the stuff in marijuana that causes a high."

They said "Stuff" Stuff... which stuff?

"The FDA has banned thujone in any usage in America."

Except in health food stores, spices, etc...

"The experience initially I found to be unpleasant. It was almost like a sizzling in the brain," DeBoer said.

Probably a hint something else was wrong to begin with...

"Over the course of two months, he drank two bottles of homemade absinthe, thus imbibing a large amount of thujone."

And a large amount equals what?

"The film Moulin Rouge portrayed it as a kind of liquid LSD. But that's fiction that overstates absinthe's effect."

The only virtually responsible statement... negated by -

"But it is a fact that heavy use of absinthe has been blamed for everything from minor hallucinations to outright insanity."

What about minor infractions of the tax codes? Oh, that's Enron, not absinthe... teehee.

"Breaux along with Justin Sledge hope to built an absinthe empire."

Whoohoohoo, watch out Bill Gates!

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 06:21 pm: Edit

Hey, Tom's of Maine makes a great fennel flavored toothpaste... if you ever feel like brushing between glasses of the green evil, it won't fuck up the palette... i use a toothbrush sharpened at one end of course... just in case.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 06:18 pm: Edit

Then after three or four glasses, i saw something out of the corner of my eye... i thought it was a red ant! But it was just a common household carpenter ant... whew, that was vivid!

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 06:17 pm: Edit

I had a blackout while drinking absinthe... the other night, I was sitting at the computer after having shovelled snow and ice for a better part of the evening... suddenly, the lights flickered, then went out... all while i was drinking absinthe. Wow, i see what they mean now!

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 06:15 pm: Edit

I've got a good recipe... take one liter of Five O'clock vodka, ten pieces black licorice, five peppermint candies and ten drops of wormwood oil... put everything on a blender and puree for ten minutes... after you're done wiping off your kitchen because you forgot the lid to the blender, pour it in a glass and drink it... now throw the rest out because it's disgusting... go back to reading Redbook and fall asleep watching David Letterman... the end.

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 06:12 pm: Edit

Complete with type'o's... Bravo WNBC!!!

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 06:11 pm: Edit

Um, try this ritual... i pour the shit in the glass, fill the rest with water then drink it, usually while paying my bills or trading stocks on line... sometimes i even retrieve my mail. After three or four glasses, I go to bed...
That'll scare 'em!

By Verawench on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 06:09 pm: Edit

Oh for chrissakes...! Rituals, drugs, blackouts, recipes found on the internet???

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 06:05 pm: Edit

http://www.wnbc.com/news/1220347/detail.html

Crap... crap, crap, crap... why don't we really juice it up and start sacrificing babies to our absinthe gods!!!

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 05:58 pm: Edit

Oh ya' gotta "ease on down the ROAD!"

Oh ya' gotta!!!

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 05:55 pm: Edit

Oh yeah, I must've been thinking of "The Wiz" the directors cut...

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 05:54 pm: Edit

If'n he was Cocoa Colored maybe.
I think old Mel had a
cameo in Velvet's "Fogey Hunt".

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 05:50 pm: Edit

Doesn't Mel Torme make a cameo in that one???

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 05:47 pm: Edit

Can I interest you in the Celebrity Edition of Cocoa Cones?

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 05:41 pm: Edit

I guess you're not supposed to eat it if the can's all bubbly... they didn't teach us that in Riverview... they didn't tell us not to rummage in Mt. Trashmore... they didn't tell us not to fish near Fermi II... they didn't tell us not to skate around at Nike Site... hey, do you have "Best of DP Midgets #12?"

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 05:38 pm: Edit

There you go! Case closed. Mystery solved.

I still got those porn-rations my dad used to keep in his locker at the mill.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 05:33 pm: Edit

Actually it was some surplus tuna from Mclouth...

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 05:32 pm: Edit

Bad tuna... they said so, bad tuna... they... said...

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 05:31 pm: Edit

...or she was sneaking those sandwiches out of the RS Comissary...

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 05:30 pm: Edit

My mom had hives last year too. Maybe you gottem from me?

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 05:27 pm: Edit

Then again it would have made for some great auto erotic asphyxiation... hell, you should have seen the size of my nut sack with them hives... the nurses couldn't stop laughing!

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 05:22 pm: Edit

Who knows... that was touching, really... uh, okay. Food allergies, poisoning or something... hell last year, I had a case of the hives so bad I thought I was going to strangle to death, had to get rushed to the hospital and everything. I thought that I'd somehow gotten some insecticide or fertilizer in my mouth from the golf course (I regularly drop my cigarette on the ground then pick it up again, unconcerned with whatever contaminant are on the grass... ) For the longest time I believed this to be the case and put it to rest. Then one day I was listening to a radio show... the subject was the freshness of fish at the local markets, et al. They interviewed a doctor who described the toxins that certain fish produce when they start to decay, the symptoms of poisoning from ingesting these toxins (which included severe hives) and one of the fish they mentioned was tuna. I had eaten earlier in the day at my work cafeteria a tuna salad sandwich. When I'd initially gone in with the hives, I had also indicated this to the doctor and he had made no mention of this possibly being the cause... so sometimes what you believe is all bullshit, I thought I had some chemical reaction to grass food when all it was was a bad fish... what was my point? That if you're seizure sensitive, don't drink absinthe on the golf course while eating a tuna salad sandwich... or something.

By Verawench on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 05:12 pm: Edit

Aren't seizures a symptom of severe alcohol poisoning?

By Raschied on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 05:09 pm: Edit

Hey guys, I thought you might like to read this - this is another dialogue with the gentleman mentioned in the article He seems like a good guy:

Karl,

Thanks for toning down your reply. I'm not on a soapbox
nor am I a prohibitionist. I had no control on how WNBC
butchered down my 20-minute interview. I was told by the
freelance cameraman that Tony Aiello tried but couldn't
find any NY abinsthistes to interview because they were all
too chicken to appear on camera, as if it were heroin or
something! Nor do mean to imply that this was "good
journalism"; I'm cynical that such a thing exists at all.
However, universally, TV medical stories are shameless,
hyberbolic half-truthful scare tactics. Thus, when I read
the WNBC article, I thought it was very mild compared to
what I thought they could do with it: at least they
qualified some of their statements and interviewed a
proponent (instead of going to MADD or some such nonsense).
I probably agree with you on most of the particulars of
the article, but I'm not surprised: that's modern
journalism! What did Ted Breaux think they were going to
do? They want lurid soundbites. You may think the piece
outrageous, but I was relieved that it wasn't far worse. I
hope the TV spot was better: did you see it?

I'm aware that the homemade mixture is different and more
poisonous; boy, am I aware. In my two conversations with
WNBC I stressed that: 1. I did not have experience with the
commercial stuff (in fact, I think I told him that it was
probably much more diluted and safer) 2. No doctor can give
any real reason for any seizure, so the search for causes
is futile. I repeated told Tony that he shouldn't go
overboard and make it a scare piece; he seemed somewhat
responsive. I deliberately cushioned all of my answers to
make them objective and rational, but that's all I could
do. The final edit is up to him.

Look, regardless of the inadequacy of neuroscience on the
subject, I know that absinthe "caused" my seizures. Could
I have had a genetic predisposition? Certainly. Also,
I've had a concussion as well as other alcohol/drug
experiences, antimalarials, etc. I'm sure absinthe could
have been one of several factors that pushed my brain over
the edge... but in my mind it was the most important
factor. The odds seem much slimmer that it wasn't. My
point is that what about others like me who might have a
latent disposition toward seizures? I had no idea. How
can anyone know that they might have such a disposition?
If I did have a genetic flaw, then there can still be
others out there who could also get pushed into epilepsy by
absinthe. If I didn't have such a flaw, well, then
absinthe is even more dangerous. Either way, I thought it
was worth sharing my experiences, so that people might see
a less rosy view of it. I'm surprised you haven't seen
them, but in the past year I've seen short articles on
absinthe in Playboy, Esquire, and several other glossies
and newspapers. All of them were very vague and glorified
the exotic nature of it, but none of them hinted at
anything more. I have read the websites and the excellent
Barnaby Conrad book.

Bottom line: However small the danger, I'm sure thujone
does increase one's disposition toward seizures... more
than bourbon or grain alcohol or any other bottled drink.
Most people will have a large enough seizure threshold to
deal with it, and won't have any problems. Good. But I
wrote my article and agreed to the interview to tell
absinthe drinkers that some of them might be closer to
danger than they think. They should evaluate whether or
not it's worth the risk. As someone taking pills every
day, I can say it was not. I've only had two seizures and
none on medication, so I lead a normal life, but the mere
fact of having epilepsy can cut your life short (a guy, 33,
just died here in Madison last week from a seizure). BTW,
it's no fun discussing your seizures on TV in front of a
million people, so I wouldn't have done it if I didn't
think it could held somebody. I'm not out to scapegoat
anybody. I love the long history of absinthe-fueled
literature... but I want to write like Alfred Jarry, not
die an early death like him.

Anyway, thanks for writing, and I just hope more people
don't try to make me feel like Jesse Helms or Tipper Gore!
I'm sure customs has other things to worry about, so the
supply of absinthe will keep flowing.

Peace,
Jason

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 04:59 pm: Edit

Right, the very same type of television that bored house wives and little old ladies who write to their congressmen regularly believe in... hell, even my grandmother still sends me articles from Weekly World News saying "see, i told you so" about some three legged chickens the nazis were breeding on Easter Island... people believe what they here if it's on tv or in print, bottom line, regardless of the truth because shit sells.

By Tavarua on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 04:56 pm: Edit

The only reason this was aired is because it makes a great story,

"Hallucinogenic liquor, the kind that makes you hack off appendages and swallow your tongue, is creeping into America." bullshit mentality.

If they told the truth and simply said "Hey, it's booze, but turns color when you add water." That would make for shitty television.

I remember actually watching one of those investigative reports where they profiled Alarm Systems and how safe they make you. They hired a "professional thief" to break into a house, by "bypassing" an alarm system. So the thief picks a window, goes through, steals up a storm and leaves through same window. In actuality, the lady actually never set her alarm, what they meant by the thief "bypassing" the system. They mention this later in the program. And that was the story. What a bunch of shit. This is the grade of journalism you can expect from the most respected of networks.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 04:53 pm: Edit

Such reporting doesn't necessarily have any intrinsic value but the media definitely has sway over the masses. Society is still a collective. I too am a gun owner and have watched as slowly but surely, with every biased report, with every finger pointed in the wrong direction my rights become eroded. We all know the bottom line on that issue and it is that a gun in and of itself will not kill, it takes a human at the other end to pull the trigger. Yet the gun is to blame and so too will be the absinthe the next time some Anne Rice reading, Marylin Manson worshipping college student gets drunk on Hills and jumps out the dorm room window, especially if nothing is done to counter this ongoing misrepresentation. Okay, back to steel making 101...

By Etienne on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 04:41 pm: Edit

Just a dose of media reality. I've been watching this sort of thing happen regarding anything to do with firearms for years. Every time something tragic happens somewhere, we get these low lifes in the store, sticking their cameras into everyones faces like we were all a bunch of mutants.

If you think this trash has any interest in objective reporting of ANYTHING, you're living a dream. All that matters is money and ratings.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 04:15 pm: Edit

My point is if someone comes up to you and says your mother is a whore, that's one thing... if that same someone walks out in the middle of the play ground sceaming your mother's a whore, that's a whole different world and I feel sorry for anyone willing to take that kind of abuse... but that's the kind of abuse we're giving into just to protect our little strange way. Sure, it's none of their business really, especially if they aren't willing to understand all sides but unfortunately, we are dealing with those who are in a position of power and influence and something must be done to counter the affects...

By Mvario on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 03:59 pm: Edit

Folks, this is the norm for TV journalism, at least in NYC local news. Heck, they've been doing this to the hacker community for years. If any crime, anywhere is committed using a computer then the news automatically screams "hacker". And when they decide to do a piece on real hackers it's even worse. And during intervies reporter routinely lie, saying they're doing an objective piece, or a sympathetic piece and it always turns out as more yellow journalism. But it's not just hackers, It's pretty much anything. I remember a few years back one of the stations did a piece on the gothic scene... it wasn't pretty. And every few years they attack any movements for drug decriminalization.

The 3 local network affiliates play this game where they bait with some sensationalistic story. Sometimes if the others thinks it's juicy enough they'll all run their own version within a few weeks. And you really can't win. It's their game and the position they're going to take is preordained from on high, and developed with the sole purpose of inflaming their demagraphic.

By Verdigris_Harpy on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 02:56 pm: Edit

How about a compromise between popular
press and arcane science journal?

Discover
science magazine. A gee wiz science magazine,but
a literate one.That actual scientists write
for,and read,but that regular folk can follow,
at least sometimes.Not affiliated with The
Discovery Channel.(almost certian)

A sample of this month's headlines-Complexity-
the science of suprise,New learning series
on genetics,The ll greatest unanswered questions
of physics(Number 9-What Is Gravity?)

This is a publication that is sold on newsstands
and in supermarkets(where I picked up the
lastest issue) right along side the Cosmo's,
Time,and Tiger Beat.

Also a magazine that a few months back
featured an article by a scientist who,
having grown up on a working dairy farm,
later on analysed milk in highly scientific
ways and concluded it ai'nt doing a body good,
to but it mildly.But this story was'nt screaming
on the front cover, telling people milk will make your body and soul rot in hell.
He advised education,caution,and moderation.

If any popular,yet intelligent,and even
moerately likely to be read by the public,
mag is out there ,this is the one.

I bet they could get into a thujone/moderately
recent history/popular culture report,that
would then very likely get picked up by mainstream
(moreso)media.

No,I am not anybody's cousin or girlfriend at the
magazine,but it's right here next to
me,if anyone wants an e mail or other numbers.

Yours,

Verdigris Harpy

P.S Just"Discovered": subsidiary of Buena
Vista publications,a Disney Corporation.
Hey,still worth a try.They did villify milk,a
and recently pub. a skin crawling article
on beef by products in nearly everything we
use in the U.S,complete with photos worthy
of Hannibal Lecter.

By Heiko on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 01:12 pm: Edit

It's only as bad as every article/tv report on absinthe, not worse. On German tv a doctor said he feared that with a sudden absinthe boom, our mental hospitals might not be big enough... and he really meant it!

I like the headline, it tells the old story of "it's bad because it's illegal and it's illegal because it's bad!"

By Chevalier on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:45 pm: Edit

An "obsessive fringe group" sends dozens of angry e-mails to WNBC. Cathartic? Sure. Effective? Nope.

By Perruche_Verte on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:38 pm: Edit

Actually I've never tried that, nor huffing gasoline. I'm sure it's something equally stupid.

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:36 pm: Edit

The "absinthe mafia" strikes again...

By Perruche_Verte on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:35 pm: Edit

Um, um, Vap-O-Rub?

By Raschied on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:34 pm: Edit

Here's a response from Jason DeBoer to my e-mail:

Thanks for the ignorant hate mail, Karl. I'm aware of what
can or cannot precipitate seizures, and I've read even the
old medical research on absinthism, which, if not current,
is plenty "solid". You read those cases--chronic abuse
made those people absolute wrecks, far more than normal
alchoholics! There may have been some political reasons
behind the banning, but there were also medical risks.
FYI, thujone is part of the turpene family.

It's very cozy for you to bitch, you don't have epilepsy
(yet). I'm sure most people won't have problems from
absinthe, but for some people it can be dangerous. I
haven't seen the TV spot yet to see how they edited it, but
the written piece seemed pretty objective for journalism
(he even says "perhaps dangerous" which is hardly
hysterical). I've seen a dozen recent articles praising
the coolness of absinthe; it could use one piece discussing
the possible dangers.

Go back to crying in your High Times. I'm sure no one will
try to take your precious drink away.

Jason

PS. I prefer Slayer to Judas Priest.

By Baz on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:31 pm: Edit

Should I go ahead and tell? Am I just being a smug little know-it-all? Or does the collective give a shit? I just thought it might be fun. And it goes to show just how far kids will go to get fucked up.

By Louched_Liver on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:28 pm: Edit

I'm with Pikkle. If you don't try, you never know what will happen. I also agree that some e-mails probably won't matter in the least, but why not send them and see? A positive article in a major mag, not likely, but not impossible.
Rolling over is the usual way of things, but doesn't have to be. So far this crapass piece of hysteria only ran in one market (but a big one) on the 11:00 news. It should just sputter out on its own. There are no glamorous casualties to absinthe, and nice gory deaths/murders either. Boring! Yawn! The vast majority of America moves on. And the vast majority of America didn't see it anyway. Neither did the vast majority of New Yorkers, I'd wager.

Off to tilt at windmills,
Don Louxote

By Raschied on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:27 pm: Edit

What, caffeine?

By Scoobydoo on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:25 pm: Edit

What ever happened to that study at UCSF by Mathew Boggart or something like that???

Did anyone ever take part in that or did they ever publish those findings?

By Baz on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:19 pm: Edit

Maybe we could drag a red herring across our trail... ex. Do you know what one of the favorite legal "drugs" among kids that want to get high and don't have a connection is??? Can you guess?
HINT-every one of us has tried it before

By Chevalier on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:10 pm: Edit

In the closet? As opposed to what? Headlining in Vegas? I think it's great that you're ready to do something helpful. I honestly do. But:

1) Is it really worthwhile that absinthe's case continue to be plead in front of the U.S. press? (After all, who among us can get the press to do what we want? It's like catching a tiger by the tail.)

2) Does it really matter if America isn't thinking about, hearing about, talking about and tasting absinthe? There's enough of a potential market for it in Asia and Europe. And everyone here gets bottles whenever he/she
wants to. If it ain't broke, why "fix" it -- and get our bottles broken in the process?

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 11:42 am: Edit

Oh good, we'll be in the closet forever, good job guys, I'm outta here...

By Baz on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 11:41 am: Edit

They never mention the alcohol in those sensationalistic media "reports" do they? Maybe Budweiser and Seagrams are trying to do the same thing to absinthe that the wine industry did 100 years ago!

By Chevalier on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 11:40 am: Edit

Why TIME? Why GQ? Why WNBC? None of them will save absinthe from its reputation. Let a scientific journal publish Ted's findings on absinthe's ingredients. It may convince some chemists that absinthe's okay. Better that, than to have NEWSWEEK send parents hunting under their Goth kids' beds for empty absinthe bottles.

Order from JL, SC, Wolvie, or whoever. Educate your friends about absinthe. Get educated by reading the Absinthe Forum FAQ, the posts here, Mme. Delahaye's books, etc. Try to make contact with experts (Ted, Don, Delahaye, etc.).

And don't encourage the press!

By Baz on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 11:39 am: Edit

I was thinking more along the lines of "strategic silence." But we all fight our battles in our own way. And unfortunately, "a few uninformed persons" affect our destiny every single day. That's why I prefer to choose carefully the windmills at which I tilt.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 11:34 am: Edit

Yeah... I'm off to make your steel now, someone please keep the faith, please???

By Pan on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 11:33 am: Edit

Yuh know, I think dropping a line to a friend of a friend at a magazine like GQ isn't a bad idea. I can see them now doing something like "It's hip, and there's something cool about walking on the fuzzy side of the law . . . " And, maybe even intelligently describing the liqour (if they can do articles on port, for god's sake, they can be equally arcane for the benefit of absinthe).

I gotta be honest and say this: absinthe is likely to remain a basically underground thing. Most people don't care one way or another and are inclined to continue not caring (Don, which one of Isaac's laws is that a mutilation of?)

Having dealt with some weird ass chemical subcultures, though, I can say that this is the least offensive one I know of. You guys beat the X crowd just on your ability to form sentences alone. *wink*

I think it would've been nice if NBC pointed out that drinking 100-140 proof alcohol heavily is enough to have ill-effects on anyone, and that in spite of this knowledge, 151 and Everclear are still about (Ugh, Everclear . . . taking it straight is like swallowing a lawn mower -- one of my worst ideas ever). Moderation, etc . . .

Anyway, I'm young, rambling, and late for class.

Ta.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 11:30 am: Edit

Well, there's a reason we're all here, we share a commonality and have gone to the trouble via the efforts of some very dedicated people to educate ourselves contrary to historical distortion and misperception. Change can be affected, people can be informed properly and make their own decisions. To sit back and let a few uninformed persons dictate our destiny is irresponsible. I never ever said anyone would be successful trying to change peoples minds, there are no guarentees. But if you don't try, who gives a fuck anyway? Give up. Yeah, okay...

By Baz on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 11:24 am: Edit

Pikkle, I wish you the best of luck. Like I said earlier, I hope I'm wrong.
(there is a first for everything)

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 11:19 am: Edit

Egad, such pessimism, all conjecture to boot. How many people here have ever had an opinion changed my something they read, saw or heard? Do we doubt the general population so much? I think not too many people care either way about this subject but if it's going to be presented in some light, at least it can be positive or not so biased. Misunderstanding and ignorance is what keeps change from ever happening and the sentiments being trumpeted here back that up completely. If it's to be known, let it be known for what it is, not what someone thinks it should be. And to think we have no power over this is absurd, we are the power. Yes, this is mildly preachy but this attitude I'm getting here is pissing me the fuck off, I've never seen so many quitters before in my life.

By Scoobydoo on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 11:15 am: Edit

The more you make the anger we have known...the more so that the public will take an interest in absinthe. The more interest the public takes, the more lies and rumours will float around. The more this happens, the more likely you will be to have Mrs. Bush stand up and say, "We must eradicate abisnthe...if not for us, for our children!"

If you get a person to do a non-biased piece on absinthe, I guarantee it will still provoke the attention and dislike of most people. Like it or not, it's not "just alcohol"...and if we still haven't legalized weed, then there's no way in hell the US is going to go out and create a haven for absinthe drinkers.

While more info to the public might aware some people it's not so bad, I think people will be flooded with stories that you will lose your ear, etc etc...and people always want to believe sensationalism...not the truth..

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 11:13 am: Edit

Specialized magazine? So we can interest all of thirty two people in the truth? How about some respectable national publication? Why is everyone here such defeatists? Like I said, I know a few folk on the inside of the industry and if they think it won't fly, then fine... but if you never try, how can you know? Speculating doesn't get the job done. I will check with my few sources, see if this subject (or any positive spin thereof) is something worthy of publication and then we can see... the people I know are very responsible and it would be highly unlikely they'd attempt a cheap thrill like WNBC lest they tarnish the reps... ciao doubters!

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 11:08 am: Edit

I'm sure some history specialised publication would be interested because it will give them a chance to showcase some NEWS! about an historical event that happened nearly 100 years ago and that's VERY rare for historian to broadcast news...

Or we can just send them Head and say :"look, this guy drank barrels of Serpis and he finally cut his head!". But look, it's not dangerous, he's still moving and running in circles!

By Baz on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 11:06 am: Edit

Maybe I'm just too worried about stirring this concoction any more than necessary. Sometimes, ANY publicity is bad publicity.
But, I have become quite the pessimist in the last few years, so, grain of salt, yadda yadda.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 11:02 am: Edit

Okay, cool, let's all give up and just have happen what happens... it's probably better to keep it all our "dirty little secret" anyway...

By Baz on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 10:58 am: Edit

Even if you could get a writer for one of these news orgs to write an "unbiased" piece, what then? Some editor will come along and say,"so what?" Absinthe is something that can be labeled "questionable" by most people, whether or not it is justified. The press does not frequently come out and defend, or even write unbiased reports, about "questionable" things. Sensationalism and demonization will get more attention. Which headline is more likely to sell a newpaper to the general public?

Look at the new designer drug that your kid may be using right now!!!

or

Absinthe isn't so bad after all!!!!

These dickholes don't care about news. I am not suggesting that we shouldn't try to do something, but I really don't believe these monkeylickers will ever print or report anything that is even neutral, let alone something that favors absinthe. I hope I'm wrong.

By Chevalier on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 10:48 am: Edit

What national publication would showcase an absinthe article capable of earning our Good Sepulchrekeeping Seal of Approval? "High Times" magazine, perhaps? Otherwise, forget it.

Absinthe, at least in the U.S.A., has a big scarlet "A" branded on it. It'll be a while -- if ever -- before the scarlet letter disappears.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 10:33 am: Edit

Scraping the barrel for ratings, that's all... I contacted a friend of mine that does pieces for GQ, has got a few books out, hooked him up with some La Bleue and Deva a while back, possible I could drag him to one of the gatheringss, perhaps down to NOLA... he's pretty good, might be a fair voice... anyone interested parties?

By Chevalier on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 10:13 am: Edit

I couldn't see the show; but I think that the written version on WNBC's website, while certainly not to our way of thinking, is also not an absolute condemnation of absinthe.

(Before anyone flames me, please read this post to its end. Then, if you still feel so inclined, fire away.)

The WNBC online piece never says flat out that absinthe IS dangerous. "Perhaps" is the article's word of choice. It goes on to state that " ... heavy use of absinthe has been blamed for everything from minor hallucinations to outright insanity." Fair enough: it has been blamed for these things. We're told there's more than one side: "Detractors warn against anything more than an occasional sip, while supporters say absinthe in moderation never hurt anyone." The article even swings our way somewhat when it explains, "The film Moulin Rouge portrayed [absinthe] as a kind of liquid LSD. But that's fiction that overstates absinthe's effect." And if Ted and Justin, intelligent chaps both, had thought that the post-WNBC fallout would be disasterous, they never would have hinted at JL on camera. At least I hope not.

All in all, it's a workaday, mediocre WNBC online piece that any hack could have researched and written. Some bashi-bazouks (the pompous Paul Pacult, the hapless Jason DeBoer) popped in and said, "Absinthe bad". Fewer good souls appeared and said, "Absinthe good". (Marc Campbell had his chance, but passed. I probably would have passed too.) But the WNBC website article hardly implies -- let alone states -- that absinthe is, without a doubt, an LSD monstrosity threatening our kids.

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 10:12 am: Edit

Sad, just sad.

I saw the article last night, and I must admit I am great disappointed in the nature and content of the stint. Ted and I, both discussed for probably over an hour, how absinthe was nothing like a narcotic substance and how demonizing myths has lead to past and present bans. I know he has to proverbially "sell papers" but if I would have known the stint would have taken this end, I would have had nothing to do with it.

I am going to try and get it converted to avi or mpg in the coming days, but I am not sure that I even want such a thing to pollute the absinthe community online.

At any rate, I would suggest anyone that feels that Mr. Aeilo has perverted the truth to e-mail him, and express your disdain, pleasantly but firmly, because in the end this type of bad reporting, science, propaganda will force absinthe into a DEA schedule and the this brief absinthe rebirth will be over.

Just some thoughts

Justin S.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 10:10 am: Edit

I assume Ted already have some attack plan. As he surely have more scientifical knowledge about absinthe to back up his sayings, we should just let him do his move when he's ready.

I doubt any of our emails could change anything as it will probably be just discarted as "coming from some drug addict drunk dilettante".

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 09:58 am: Edit

I don't know if another news source would take it to that extreme but perhaps we could bias another media outlet to do a more balanced piece about this whole spiel, something that actually has to do with the truth... one of the more popular magazines might actually be the way to go rather than a localized news source... I've got some writer friends, perhaps I should inquire but only with the blessing of those grand pappy's and mama's on this board... we gotta stick together in our own loose way!

By Verdigris_Harpy on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 09:58 am: Edit

Another news channel..

If just another channel,how about PBS?

Or for more general viewing,the WB?
(Warner Brothers broadcasting).

Fox has a more conservative leaning,at least
Fox News channel.

Maybe someone at PBS; Frontline will get interested
and do a 1 hr piece on absinthe sometime.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 09:51 am: Edit

I think we should contact another news channel and give them a chance to ridiculise WNBC...

This news report is a proof that they are just phony assholes and that nobody should trust whatever news they broadcast.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 09:50 am: Edit

I wrote to programming... it seemed to go through, perhpas not the correct choice but at least they'll know which of their content is full of shite.

By Verdigris_Harpy on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 09:45 am: Edit

Yuck.

I said alcohol and thojone were liquid drugs
(literaly true),but nearly any "drug"
can be made liquid,and nicotene is a drug,too.
Where is the rabid pre-hysteria over that,except
when packaged in tobacco cigarretes?(more
deserved hysteria over than that over absinthe.)

And the line about "hoping to build an
Absinthe empire" ? Sounds like movie of the
week stuff.

I've never tasted absinthe, but this tastes
decidedly nasty.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 09:44 am: Edit

I couldn`t find this asshole`s email.

Did you read the moronic text by this Deboer (link on the wnbc page) ?

This other moron mixed wormwood and vodka and gets quoted as if he was a reference about absinthe...

Those two needs an awfull ass kicking. Incredible !

Wolf

*** Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

By Raschied on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 09:44 am: Edit

Note that the web staff e-mail was bounced back to me. I forwarded it to all the other e-mails on the site, so hopefully SOMEONE got it.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 09:41 am: Edit

Inundate them dammit, everyone on this board should be writing regardless of whether they saw the piece or not...if some of the most trusted voices here say it's shit, it's shit... so give it to them, demand a retraction, apology, whatever, let them know how uneducated they reall are, the lies they've just told the public... sure it probably won't work but at least maybe their ears will perk up a half a mil... you know in business, for everyone one person who writes a complaint letter to a business it is assumed there are a hundred others with the same complaint who don't write... sometimes such things are taken seriously... my 18 pesos...

By Raschied on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 09:32 am: Edit

I wrote e-mails to both Jason and the web staff at WNBC. I doubt they'll respond to them, but I felt better.

By Perruche_Verte on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 08:45 am: Edit

Amazing. Nearly every other statement in that piece is objectionable.

By Raschied on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 08:26 am: Edit

Who is this Jason DeBoer? Does he post here?

By Raschied on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 08:23 am: Edit

http://www.wnbc.com/news/1220347/detail.html

By Pablo on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 04:35 am: Edit

They will show it here as soon as some fucked up celebrity shithead drinks some or tries to free tibet by asking for donations from fucking simpletons who make less then their fucking house keeper and need some green fairy to do it!

(that made so sense either!)

By Pablo on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 04:32 am: Edit

Oops! Sorry.

I'll be good.

No more yelling.

By Artist on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 04:31 am: Edit

I don't know what the fuck I just said.

By Artist on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 04:30 am: Edit

I stayed up till four-fucking-thirty and they didn't show it...I guess if it is not news, it is not shown in LA.

Good night!!!

By Artist on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 04:28 am: Edit

I don't think it was shown...damnit!!!

(If they were going to show anything, there would have been a teaser already...)

By the way, Pablo, why are you shouting?

By Pablo on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 04:10 am: Edit

IM WATCHING IT THOUGH. IF THE LA STATION RUNS IT, I WILL GET A COPY.

By Pablo on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 04:07 am: Edit

YEAH, BUT ITS THE LOCAL NEWSCAST. THEY WONT HAVE IT I DONT THINK.

AND DON, YOURE RIGHT.

BE AFRAID! BE VERY AFRAID!

By Artist on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 04:06 am: Edit

Anybody awake now in Los Angeles, the 11pm news broadcast is being repeated now...

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 02:49 am: Edit

There are a lot of cops out there who are publicity hounds. Entire agencies and bureaus that are publicity hounds INSTITUTIONALLY because positive publicity speaks to their budgets.

There are junior state and federal legislators out there who are MEGA publicity hounds and lens lice and suckers of the blood of sound bytes, and just looking for a nice juicy nascent issue that they can latch onto and turn into a piece of worthless bill, then law, to show their credulous constituents that they are working hard for Law and Order and Apple Pie and Mom and for sure the American Flag.

Bouncing between these camps are the creeping things of the media, seeking to ingratiate first one then the other. In the interest of ratings and their own climb to stardom on 60 minutes or something.

Anyone who doesn't think this stupid story on a network flagship station!! is VERY dangerous, needs a fundoscopic examination.

(That's where they drill a hole in your head and let something leak out.)

By Marccampbell on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 02:16 am: Edit

A week ago Ted B. forwarded my e-mail address to the reporter,Tony Aiello, who did the WNBC absinthe exploitation piece. I did not respond to Aiello's request for info on absinthe. I did e-mail him tonight though. I told him to fuck himself.

By Pablo on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:48 am: Edit

I called KNBC here in LA and basically told them it was a fucking scewed, biased and unresearched piece of shit. I spoke with their managing editor (old friend) and suggested that someone look into the reporters story. Maybe he would like to report on real news? Oh, wait! He cant find any!!!
(I do find it ironic since KNBC put both the sports anchor Fred Rogin and their weather anchor Fritz Coleman through rehab for coke addiction)
They have to hype everything because they are starting to loose the ratings war for the first time in years.

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:42 am: Edit

Write away... you trust the people on this forum to give view on the absinthe you drink, trust them on this.. I did, I saw nary a bit of this travesty of journalism and I whipped off a nasty little email... go for it, they need to hear our voice.

By _Blackjack on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:32 am: Edit

I'd be more than happy to write a letter, but I would feel dishonest if I did so without seeing the piece. Did anybody tape it?

By Mvario on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 10:48 pm: Edit

As well you shouldn't. 2 quick soundbites that made you come across as a drug dealer. One about "it makes you relax" and the other about sell to people who "will find away"

Then again it was balanced agains some guy saying it's illegal, illegal, illegal, harmful, and can kill you and some guy who "made his own" absinthe and developed epilepsy.

Oh, and it's waht made van Gough crazy and that thujone is the same as marijuana (shich will also drive you crazy and kill you... I saw Reefer Madness). And it's this big underground thing in New York, scoring the GF.

By Tabreaux on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 10:37 pm: Edit

Tony Aiello is his name. His email address is probably listed on the WNBC website.

WNBC

I strongly suggest everyone to send him your comments, and copy the editor as well.

I have not yet seen the report, but I am not liking what I've heard about it so far.

By Raschied on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 09:23 pm: Edit

Did anyone get a name of the reporter?

By Louched_Liver on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 08:53 pm: Edit

PV,

Can't see it online, yet. It may show up on the wnbc.com website under their "feedroom video". Maybe.

By Rimbaud on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 08:50 pm: Edit

It would have been nice if Ted and Justin had been given more of a chance to disprove the bullshit that the rest of the report contained. But then that wouldn't be the typical American tabloid journalism that we all know and love, now would it?! Morons, everywhere morons!!!!

~21st Century Rimbaud

By Perruche_Verte on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 08:50 pm: Edit

Is there a place people can see this story online?

I missed it. Maybe I should be glad.

By Louched_Liver on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 08:47 pm: Edit

As long this horseshit story doesn't get passed on elsewhere, it shouldn't matter in the big scheme of things. Not that many people will give a crap when they wake up tomorrow. They aren't going to come in contact w/absinthe, and they'll forget how "damaging" it is-until they run into one of us.

By Louched_Liver on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 08:41 pm: Edit

Mvario,

You've got it pal. I can imagine people freakin' over it. Although they did say that saying it is like LSD is overstating the effects. How nice.

By Louched_Liver on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 08:41 pm: Edit

I be doublin'. Must be the thujone kickin' my cerebrum before I convulse.

By Mvario on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 08:36 pm: Edit

I have to say it's what I've come to expect form the media. Loads of sensationalism, taking sound-bites out of context to make their point, and preying on people fears.

If i didn't know anything about absinthe except what was in this story I would get the impression that it's the next heroin.

By Louched_Liver on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 08:30 pm: Edit

Unfortunately, a big load of crap. Some nice hardware though, I'm guessing it was Ted's?

By Pan on Monday, February 04, 2002 - 08:25 pm: Edit

Okay, thoughts, suggestions, bile?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation