Press Release for new absinthe product that makes me so angry i could go over and choke the living xxxx out of the person who thought this up.

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru February 2002:Press Release for new absinthe product that makes me so angry i could go over and choke the living xxxx out of the person who thought this up.
By Raschied on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 09:35 am: Edit

I found a can of this stuff in my local Raley's supermarket, and gave it a try. I'll post a picture of the can.

It's not much different from Red Bull, to be honest. The ingredient list (on the Americanized label) shows carbonated water, glucose syrup, citric acid, caramel color, flavorings, ascorbic acid (vitamin C,) caffeine, potassium sorbate, natural extract of absinthe.

The text on the can reads, "Artemisia Absinthium (Absinthe) is an herb reputed to enhance creativity, stimulate the mind, and to have an aphrodisiac effect."

The stuff looks and tastes vile - very similar to Red Bull: sickly sweet with that metal caffeine taste. I couldn't detect anything resembling absinthe in the flavor. It did have a different effect than Red Bull normally gives. Red Bull makes me so hyper that I'm useless. This stuff was much more subdued. Was it the absinthe? Probably not. Would I buy it again? Probably not, but then I'm not one for these energy drinks anyway.

As long as no one dies from drinking the stuff, I hope it stays on the market. Anything that can promote absinthe in a good way may help our cause in the long run.

By Pikkle on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 06:05 pm: Edit

What can you expect, it didn't contain pelican snot...

By Traineraz on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 06:04 pm: Edit

Where'd it go?

I took a look at their website, and Carbon isn't listed in their products section. It's also not in their "new products" section.

Maybe Carbon went flat?

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 05:31 pm: Edit

At least it doesn't claim to contain pelican snot...

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 01:11 pm: Edit

No, because it's illegal to call it that way... Reminds me of the French laws...

Ho and by the way, let's clear something here just in case some newbees gets confused : Even if some peoples here have called me wolvie in the past, I'm not the one who's selling LaBleu ;-).

By Chevalier on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:56 pm: Edit

Ok, so it seems goofy. But if you were marketing a product with an herb called, of all things, WORMwood ... wouldn't you prefer to use the French name for it: absinthe?

By Louched_Liver on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:55 pm: Edit

Denial posts below that it is available for sale now.

By Heiko on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:52 pm: Edit

Maybe it's the green "frog" stuff we had in Boveresse. It was kind of energizing and nobody knew what was in it :-)

I like the phrase "...is more extreme than Red Bull..." - wow, I mean, Red Bull is sooooo extreme, should I be afraid of Carbon?

By _Blackjack on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:51 pm: Edit

I think they'd have a tough timeselling this in the US, what with the FDA and all.

Unless they are skirting around things by claiming it is a "dietary supplement" and not a food...

By Louched_Liver on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:38 pm: Edit

Er, sorry Wolfgang!

By Louched_Liver on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:37 pm: Edit

This stuff came out in the UK last year. I guess none of those folks tried it. I agree w/Wolvie, if it's good, it's good, and it edges all things "absinthe" closer to being respectable by being openly sold.

By Scoobydoo on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:28 pm: Edit

haha...they are putting absinthe into an energy drink?

That's a good one! :)

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 12:05 pm: Edit

Well, maybe because they use wormwood in it ? I don't see what's the problem. Remember that "absinthe" is the french name for wormwood or artemisia absinthium.

I say try it. If it's good, perfect, encourage it so it will pave the way to absinthe (the drink) acceptance.

By Denial on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 11:44 am: Edit

oh, and you can actually buy the stuff right now for 27.99 for 24/250ml cans with a credit card..
im assuming you just email them at naturalgroup@worldnet.att.net

i say boycott this product.
im wondering how they're going to get away with saying it's got "absinthe" in it...

By Denial on Tuesday, February 05, 2002 - 11:41 am: Edit

ok... im more upset about this than you can possibly imagine.. i just got back from the Fancy Food Show in san francisco where they release new products of all kinds from all over.. and get this..
there is a new beverage put out by Natural Group, Inc called CARBON. im not going to say any more, im just going to type out the press release for you:

Thank you for stopping by our booth at the Fancy Food Show and for taking the time to sample our new product Carbon.

Carbon is more extreme than Red Bull and has more personality and mystery than other energy brands. Premium, stylish and stimulating, Carbon is an intriguing new dark energy drink that contains absinthe. Absinthe is an herb reputed to enhance creativity and stimulate the mind.

We welcome your support of this wonderful product and look forward to building a prosperous business relationship with you and your company.

909 15th street, suite#2
Modesto, CA 95354
www.naturalgroup.net

-----------------------------

that's it.
discuss.

-kiya

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation