Concerning the difference between alcohol levels (from a newbie)

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru February 2002:Concerning the difference between alcohol levels (from a newbie)
By Petermarc on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 03:09 am: Edit

françois guy's absinthe is 45°, and is an excellent regional product, but not the absinthe that it could be... he made his 45° because of tax reasons (publicly, it is because he didn't want to 'realcoholize' france)...i was told by my 'cavist' last night that he will soon have the new pernod absinthe 68°...but he isn't keen on it because it will be 30% more expensive than françois guy, just because of the alcohol percentage...it is amazing how many people make a commercial product, and are mostly concerned about saving/making money...uh, wait a minute...

By Maldoror on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 08:42 pm: Edit

Wise words Mr. Nolan.

By Nolan on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 07:39 pm: Edit

Well,let me jump in here.This is only a personal opinion of course.But,I like the lower alcohol types myself.I don't care for Deva 70 or mari mayans 70.I just don't care for the hot taste.They will certainly kick your ass though.
But so will the lower alcohol types.I have only tried the N.S. once and that was the 55.I thought it was a little better than Deva.I am a newbie to this forum but not to absinthe.I remeber when the czek was about all to see on the web.I also remember when deva was considered to be THE SHIT!!
And everyone was lookin for it.As time goes on and more types are tried perceptions change.It is just the way things are.

By Wolfgang on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 08:45 am: Edit

We can't assume anything about the Spanish absenta because we already know that they do not always use a proper way of making fine absinthe.

When distilling absinthe, there's two way to get a given degree of alc. You can distil and dilute after and/or you can put more water in the pot to get a lower % at the output. I honestly don't know which way is the best. My imaginary friend who is distilling absinthe on the moon say he use both method to achieve the desired output, adding a bit of warm water after distillation just to fine tune the % but trying not to get too high an output at the beginning. But those method apply to distilled absinthes. I don't know about absinthe mades from oil... Maybe they just add the same qty of oil to an higher % of alcohol base... Who knows.

Based on taste only, I also believe NS70 is better than NS55. Deva ? I don't even care but I say you better get a bigger bottle for cheaper.

By Chevalier on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 06:43 am: Edit

Blackjack wrote:
" ... it is entirely unclear how, if at all, this would relate to the effects of a human drinking absinthe out of a glass."

Lab mice and hamsters have had their day. It's high time to do some testing on human guinea pigs. We'd start with doses of orally-administered Swiss Bleues and Jade varieties. Any volunteers? Sorry, pal, I'm first in line. OOF! -- Quit pushing! Save it for your wife!

By Tavarua on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 05:18 am: Edit

ďFuck it, I'm gonna go git some Absente and beat my wife,

Hold up you crazy mofo. Have you lost your mind, there is absolutely, positively no excuse what-so-ever, to drink absente. What a disturbing statement.

By Pablo on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 01:13 am: Edit

Beat my wife while youre at it. She needs a good whoopin!

By Pikkle on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 11:20 pm: Edit

I thought that the proper extraction of herbs wouldn't take place unless the distillation occurred at a higher percentage of alcohol... or is that only with maceration? Fuck it, I'm gonna go git some Absente and beat my wife.

By Lmarchegrisiste on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 11:17 pm: Edit

If the difference in proof is the same as with rum then it is just the ammount of water. All product is distilled to the nineties then diluted. I know rum distillers personally and have seen their operations. I do not know directly but suspect that is the same case with absinthe. If I bought a 70% I would add more water under the assumption.

By _Blackjack on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 05:39 pm: Edit

For what it's worth, what little hard data there is suggest that the presence of ethanol reduces the GABA-modulating properties of thujone. If you're a mouse. And injecting the pure chemicals directly into your peritoneum.

Since it is entirely unclear how, if at all, this would relate to the effects of a human drinking absinthe out of a glass.

By Louched_Liver on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 05:19 pm: Edit

And a cup of chamomile before beddy bys.

By Pikkle on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 05:13 pm: Edit

You only notice them more because you are less drunk... I prefer to hit them both head on, top it off with a little vicodin and oxycontin, then ride the horse for a while...

By Terminus on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 04:52 pm: Edit

I have found that the secondary effects are more prevalent with lower alcohol content. I think Segarra is only 45% alcohol. I get better secondary effects with the lower alcohol Serpis.

I do not know the scientific reason for this, as I have a worthless MBA degree.

If I'm wrong, you can always pour some 190 proof grain alcohol in your NS slop. Its a lot cheaper.

By Pikkle on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 04:47 pm: Edit

No matter what proof, I drink it one part liquor, two parts whatever else... works just fine!

By Tavarua on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 04:47 pm: Edit

They make an Absinth 70% now? I wish someone told me. I bet it tastes a lot like NS 70 though.

By Paul on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 04:34 pm: Edit

Hello,

First off, I am new to La Fee Verte & absinthe in general, so if this seems like a freshman question, well, it is.

I recently placed an order from SC, for Serpis 65%, Absinthe N.S. 70%, & a 20cL. Bottle of Mari Mayans 70%. (I wasnít originally planning on ordering the MM since other threads had declared it to be more or less a pastis, but since it didnít increase the shipping costs so I figured what the hell lets give it a taste.)

Anyway my question concerns the difference between alcohol levels. Say Serpis 55% & Serpis 65%: Absinthe 55% & Absinth 70%, or Deva 55% & Deva 70%. Or any other brands really. Obviously there is a higher alcohol effect with the higher proof. However if one wants more of a secondary effect experience, would it then be better to drink the lower alcohol version because the secondary effects arenít masked by drunkenness. Or is it that the higher alcohol level is necessary to bring out the properties of the various herbal components.

I appreciate any comments regarding this, whether scientific or observations based on personal experience.

Thank You
Paul

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation