The 70's - Questions and complaints - I need help.

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru February 2002:The 70's - Questions and complaints - I need help.
By _Blackjack on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 04:39 pm: Edit

They don't call it Montana by name. It's in the miniatures section, not the absinthe section, and the just call it "Absenta".

http://www.spiritscorner.com/scriptsing/buscar.asp?K=Detalle&IdProducto=2398

By Maldoror on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 02:20 pm: Edit

Wolfgang wrote - "You can get a mini bottle of Montana from SC with your next order"

I can't find mini-Montana on there website. Did you mean mini-Maya?

By Louched_Liver on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 02:22 am: Edit

Bigger as in more bottles in your order=cheaper price/liter. They'll still be .7 liters.
My biggie order works out to $85/liter (in .7 liter bottles) delivered.
Hey, I'm all for trying different absinthes, they just are not going to "substitute" for a good LaBleue.

By Maldoror on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 08:33 pm: Edit

Fine, fuck Spain. I'm all for punk rock and Wolvie's hot pants. Bigger and cheaper liter order? I didn't know they existed. My two Wolvies were .7 I want bigger and cheaper.

By Louched_Liver on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 07:43 pm: Edit

Good points Rabid. You forgot the hair. My God the hair.

Maldoror,

I have to agree w/Wolfgang-you aren't going to find an alternative to what you've tried at SC. The Spansinthes you mentioned aren't in the same league. None of them are. Not really even the same game. Find some folks from here in your neck of the woods, contact Wolvie about volume pricing. Simple as that. In another thread I kicked myself for reupping from SC when I could have spent that money on a bigger, and cheaper/liter order from Wolvie.
You're in the position of having driven the Porshe, now you are checking the Yugo lot for something comparable.

By Mr_Rabid on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 04:00 pm: Edit

The 70s? First off, I know the pants are ridiculous but they are mandatory.

It's also a good idea to develop a working knowledge of the signs of the zodiac for use in social situations.

Disco is not good for you, no matter what your friends say. Avoid it and seek out punk instead.

By Pikkle on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 03:51 pm: Edit

Sorry... gotta say I liked Deva much better than NS, even in all it's basicness... a good stand by, probably not one you want to intruduce to friends but it get's you through on those cold Michigan winter nights... brr!!!!

By Wolfgang on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 01:12 pm: Edit

If you would like a really lemony absinthe, Lasalla (or Montana) would be acceptables El-Cheapo choices. You can get a mini bottle of Montana from SC with your next order (that's what I did to have a taste of it). I don't like those absenta but who knows, baybe you will.

NS70 ? Try it. At first I really liked this one (I downed 3-4 bottles of 55 and 70) but now I don't really like it anymore).

Deva ? don't waste your money on it if you already know you don't like the 70.

Anyway, chances are you will eventually understand the recommendation stated in my previous post...

You shouldn't care too much about the price because the most expensive part will be the shipping anyway...

By Maldoror on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 12:31 pm: Edit

Thanks for the advice. I do want to take one last shot at a spanish brand and since my main objective to to find a cheapo alternative to Wolvie, I'm narrowing my choices down to-

Montana, Deva 50, Lasala, N.S. 55 or N.S. 70.

N.S. 70 sounds good but is the most expensive. Lasala is the cheapest but I know nothing about that one.

Out of those, who recommends what?

By Wolfgang on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 06:16 am: Edit

Haha, you'r fucked up ! I still have some Serpis65, NS70 and Sebor at home (plus some samples and many brands of Pastis...). I can hardly drink those anymore. The only Spanish I can drink with pleasure now is Segarra (but of course, I finished the last drop two weeks ago).

Next order will probably be those Wolvies. My recommendation is don't waste your money on inferior products if you already know you'r spoiled.

By Louched_Liver on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 03:12 am: Edit

For me:
N.S. 70 is better than 55.
Deva 70 is worse than 50.

You started @ the top, you're fucked now when it comes to the Spanish! I can hardly bring myself to drink N.S. 70 after Wolvie's, and it was my good ol' standby (I'm not on the butterscotch bandwagon for Segarra). After a year, and about $3,000, SC and I are parting ways. Old Way was Oh Kay, but unless it gets better w/a label, I don't need anymore of it.
I'd recommend getting together w/your Swiss snobs @ work and getting a multi-bottle order from Wolvie. The price drops appreciably.

By Themagicman on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 02:49 am: Edit

well I havent had Wolvie stuff yet so its hard for me to say I have had N.S 70%, deva 70% MM 70% and Absinto camargo from Brazil unland export 54%

I Like N.S. the best why?? not really sure its kind of spicy I guess, and it has a great louche, its thick and kinda has a bite to it not like deva but still very close to deva you said "The DEVA and MARI MAYANS outright SUCK" if you think this you might not want to go with it but Im a true fan of you have to try it for yourself cuz everyon has dif.. Taste
and if you can afford it then by all means try it

My 2 cents

By Giovannigray on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 10:13 pm: Edit

I'll weigh in on NS, since I've tried both the 55 and the 70..They both have a strong anise flavor, but more herbal in general than Deva..more flavors. I prefer the 70, it has almost a creamy texture with 3 parts water, and a smoother flavor than the 55.

Haven't tried Montana, Serpis, or Deva 70..but you don't want advice from me anyway 'cause I actually like Deva50.

By Maldoror on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 09:17 pm: Edit

I recently received 3 bottles of Spanish to add to my 3 bottles of Swiss(Betina #1 and Wolvie green and blue). The spanish I bought are Segarra, Deva 70 and Mari Mayans 70.

In regards to the Spanish, here are my thoughts and questions so far.

SEGARRA - My only problem with it is the fucking cap won't stay on, (I realized a cork is needed.) Otherwise I enjoyed the glass I drank. Not my favorite but it seems the 1 liter bottle is worth the price. Still, with shipping the cost is not much different that Wolvies La Bleue, which is my favorite so far.

The DEVA and MARI MAYANS outright SUCK. I know I'm a spoiled brat for drinking La Bleue first, but I don't care. I expected much more, especially from Deva. They both smell like pure booze, look like fake green candy and taste like there is no herbal content what-so-ever.

I had a feeling the Mari Mayan would be bad news so I have no problem chalking that one up as a lost cause. However, the Deva, seemed like it had a better reputation and maybe I'm missing something there.

QUESTION - Is the Deva 55% any better than the 70%? I was thinking the extra alcohol might be contributing to the thin taste. What other Spanish should I try? I'm asking because I can't afford to buy swiss all the time and so I'm looking for a good second choice.

I've read a few good things about N.S. 55%, is that worth trying or am I too much of a snob? Same goes for Montana and Serpis(Although the color of Serpis turns me off.)

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation