Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru February 2002:I'M BAAAAAACK!
By Tavarua on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 04:03 pm: Edit

"Roddy Doyle is the man!!"

Obviously, you have never met Rodney Dobbs.

By Pikkle on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 11:42 pm: Edit

Snapper, what a fun flic...

By Don_Walsh on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 10:19 pm: Edit

Don't forget Elvis Costello!

By Louched_Liver on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 12:38 pm: Edit

Lord H,

Thanks for the encouragement. I've been on the waiting list to be a vendor at the local huge Celtic festival for years. It is 2 days, 3 nights, and draws 100,000/day when the weather is nice. It'd be a great place to start. Unfortunately, the same vendors come back every stinkin' year.

By _Blackjack on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 12:37 pm: Edit

Don't forget Shaw.

By Lmarchegrisiste on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 12:10 pm: Edit

Back in 1990 I was living in the Boton Youth Hostel and would sit and chat with other tenants. One was a reasonably friendly but not too outgoing Irishman named Steve O'Leary. I was told by him that he was an artist but that his work wasn't selling.

I asked to take a look at his portfolio, it was a series of pastorales. Horses running in meadows, moors etc. I remember one was called "Weastmeath". He said that he'd studied art in Dublin that he was from the country and also did photos. He asked if he should lower his prices as the paintings were between $300 and $400. It was what he felt they were worth but he was running short of cash.

I felt that with publicity his work could have earned another zero. I suggested that he donate a painting to the Irish Club at Harvard to get a write up. He said sure and said that he could easily add a nice Blarney Castle. No, no that's airport art I exclaimed. I enquired if he had heard of Seamus Heaney. His reply was every Irishman is a poet and that Heaney was one of the stars. A phone call later I had gotten a lunch appointment.

I suggested that Steve get a picture of Heaney with the painting. If he was a bit reserved before, Steve really clamed up. Oh he is much too important you can never get him when he is free. Uh,Steve he already agreed for Monday. Well unfortunately Steve chickened out and although I ran into Heaney on occassion we never had lunch.

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 11:42 am: Edit

You really should sell these photos.

By Louched_Liver on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 11:13 am: Edit

Roddy Doyle is the man!! The Barrytown Trilogy is a great read. And the movies are great too. Except The Van, that's merely good. The Snapper is my favorite.

By Louched_Liver on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 11:09 am: Edit

Lord H,
Thanks for the compliment. I'd like to sell my photos of Ireland, but I'm too damn lazy to get started w/it.
This is Loch Glenichiquin.

By Pikkle on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 11:08 am: Edit

Don't forget Roddy Doyle!!!

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 10:45 am: Edit

Excellent photo of a typical Irish round tower, thanks Louche. These also appear in Scotland with the Dal Riadan Scots building similar towers and also the ocassional Pictish tower was built in this style.

As to continuing the list of Irish authors you could add

Seamus Heaney
CS Lewis
Brendan Behan
Frank O'Connor

and you could also add,

Flann O'Brien
John Gogarty
Jonathon Wilde
Elizabeth Bowen

and many, many more.

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 02:30 pm: Edit

Makes me mad too, Lord H.

Open just about any ENGLISH Literature text and the majority of the writers and poets represented there will be Irish.

Harpy's favorite: J.Sheridan LeFanu

You are welcome to continue the roll of honor.

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 01:00 pm: Edit

One of the round towers the Irish monks used to stash their literature from the invaders. Circa 1,000 a.d. Climb in the bottom w/a ladder, pull up the ladder, give the invaders the bollocks from the next level up.

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 12:44 pm: Edit

Yes indeed. Drinking, literature and music. The only country in the world I know where the working classes are interested in decent literature. A truly civilized nation.

But then we were responsible for saving European culture after the fall of Rome. If it hadn't been for Irish Monks and scribes making careful copies of countless pieces of work dating back to Aristotle and Homer then all this knowledge would have been lost forever when the libraries all across Europe were burned to the ground when Rome fell. Without the actions of the Irish at this time the Western World would now be a very different place. There was no 'dark age' in Ireland. Until the Vikings took control of us we were the leading nation of Europe. We lost this position due to the Vikings, we lost control of our destiny to the Elizabethan English and we lost our soul when the Penal Laws were introduced.

Maybe I lack a sense of humour but when I hear jokes about dumb Irishmen or I come across the attitudes that Ireland is basically a place full of basically good-natured folk but who are a bit uncivilised and live in a slightly backward nation which would not be were it is today without EU support, then I get angry.

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 07:10 am: Edit

Drinking, yes, am Irish talent. Along with literature, and a few other things.

By Louched_Liver on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 09:50 pm: Edit

Wouldya not cop ta yerself? Ya fook ya.

By Pikkle on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 09:41 pm: Edit

fools... never drink with the Irish, ever... it is the one thing they will always win at...

By Louched_Liver on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 07:55 pm: Edit

Well, he's done crack, heroin, coke, I'd think so.
But, maybe not. Let's be the fairy ambassadors.

By Perruche_Verte on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 07:40 pm: Edit

What a great absinthe event that would be. Anyone know if Shane likes it? He likes just about everything else...

By Louched_Liver on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 07:28 pm: Edit

We should go to a Shane show. Looks like not in the near future though, apparently, from the schedule.

By Perruche_Verte on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 07:08 pm: Edit

No, just me... but I am able to channel Shane on those occasions when I'm conscious and he is not, which is fairly often considering he's in London and I'm in Amerikay.

By Louched_Liver on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 06:49 pm: Edit

It's you!!!!!

By Perruche_Verte on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 05:45 pm: Edit

All together now:

I am going, I am GO-ing
Where the rivers of whiskey are flowing...

By _Blackjack on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 04:53 pm: Edit

My best friend in high school dated a girl named Erin Kelly, every bit as Irish as the name implies, and with cheekbones to die for. Anyway, one night at a Sci Fi con, my friend challenged Erin to a drinking contest. Keep in mind, he probably had 75 pounds on her. Two bottles and about 20 minutes later, my friend stood up, conceeded, and went to the bathroom to vomit.

Erin promptly called her father to brag that she had won. Her father, despite having been roused at 1am by the call, was very proud.

By Thegreenimp on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 09:57 am: Edit

I heard Fred decked Walken with one punch, though I'm surprised Fred didn't breechload Walken with that pistol.

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 05:50 am: Edit

All I know about Walken (other than seeing him in films) is that my buddy Fred Rexer (also a pal of TheGreenImp) beat him up on the set of HEAVEN'S GATE.

Rexer, an ex-arms dealer from Texas, was technical advisor on the film and taught Walken to quick draw with Colt single actions loaded with standard 4-in-1 blanks (so called because they will fit in 4 diffrerent caliber revolvers.)

These blanks, like many, have a cardboard over-powder wad that can be very dangerous at very close ranges. Anyway Walken decided to clown around and pointed one of the blank loaded pistols at Fred. Fred took it away from him and beat the shit out of him.

(Since then there have been several Hollywood fatalities involving actors who clowned around with blanks, including at least one guy who managed to blow his own brains out with a blank. As a commentary on actors, well, I doubt this episode can be topped. Evolution in action!)

Anyway Fred described Christopher Walken as pasty faced junkie. But, he may have bee being harsh. He often was. But always entertainingly so.

By Pan on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 12:15 am: Edit

Oh, yah, I found that out later (much to my disbelief).

Still, it's groovy.

By Admin on Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 12:11 am: Edit

Christopher Walken is a highly trained dancer, it was his original calling.

see "pennies from heaven" ... he does a fabu number in that.

By Pan on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 11:47 pm: Edit

For those of you haven't seen it (I presume that's most of you guys and gals who have real lives, jobs, etc), Christopher Walken did a video for Fat Boy Slim last year.

It is the funniest goddamn thing I saw all that year.

He dances, he honest to god dances. All I can think of is "This is the King of New York, and he's dancin' his ass off." Woah.

By Verdigris_Harpy on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 11:46 pm: Edit

And Tim Roth as H.P Lovecraft,himself,
hovering in the curtains in terror,because
the theater is too big and too small and
has too many people in it and someone ate
cod for dinner and did'nt take an Altoid
before singing.

And Quentin Crisp and BeBe Neuwirth(sp?)
in all the female roll.

By Pikkle on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 11:35 pm: Edit

Or perhaps Christopher Walken... Head does a really fine Chritopher Walken impersonation... he's available for parties too...

By Pikkle on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 11:34 pm: Edit

Is there any way you can fit Crispin Glover in there???

By Don_Walsh on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 10:54 pm: Edit

I wanna see the Tim Rice musical version of AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS or maybe THE SHADOW OUT OF TIME.

Dancing shoggoths.

Singing radiates.

Ice-T done up as Nyalathotep.

Meat Loaf as a Miskatonic professor.

A cameo by Wilbur Whateley played by John Goodman.

Roseann Barr as his mad mother Lavinee.

Chris Lloyd as Wizard Whateley.

Terminus as his half brother.

By Pan on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 10:11 pm: Edit

I would like to see Rutger Hauer with a chainsaw hand running a small New England Bed & Breakfast called "The Fey."

Now THAT would be cool.

*giddy face*

By Chrysippvs on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 10:09 pm: Edit

maybe so...depends on if the deadites get close enough to Jen...

By Verdigris_Harpy on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 10:09 pm: Edit

Another movie of the week:

The Descendant:H.P Lovecraftian meets Night
of the Living Dead,with 80's fluffy shirts
and poofy hair and creepy fey dudes with
anemia and understanding girlfriends.Weird
quasi New England fishing village(really somewhere
in weird islands somewhere in /off Canada).

Incest over the ages,graverobbing, a very unique
form of cannibalism,embryos in jars,bad and good
art,ironing boards and coffins in basements,
tunnels,caves,and Rutger Hauer as a derelict,
alcoholic doctor with a heart of gold.And
Bed and Breaksfasts.

Must see TV.

By Pan on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 10:07 pm: Edit

So . . .

no chainsaw-hand, then?

*looks sad*

By Chrysippvs on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 10:05 pm: Edit

By Chrysippvs on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 10:04 pm: Edit

sadly some dim-wits burnt the cabin down a few years ago...I am going to get a few relics (pebbles, maybe a brick, some flesh)...they will be sacred to me...I will put them next to my Dee bust, my Cthulhu fetish, and my wax Sigilum Dei AEmeth..

By Pan on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 10:04 pm: Edit

Fair enough.

I'm sure you'd look great with a chainsaw for a hand.

Quite dashing, don't'cha know?

By Chrysippvs on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 10:01 pm: Edit

if I find anything of the sort, I will do no less than unleash the deadites upon the earth...we deserve no less...

By Verdigris_Harpy on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 10:00 pm: Edit

How about Midori and tomatillo salsa,
and a chameleon sitting on another chameleon?

By Pan on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 10:00 pm: Edit

Oh man, that sounds sweet!

If you find any books bound in human flesh or tape recorders, just cut and run. Promise me that much.

*trembling in terror*

By Chrysippvs on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 09:58 pm: Edit

indeed, indeed, and again indeed

I am planning a day trip to the Morristown TN to see the ruins of the cabin from the first movie...

By Pan on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 09:50 pm: Edit

Speaking of putrid . . .

I've been watching the "Evil Dead" series.

I just want to comment on the obscene, anatomically impossible quantities of blood and general ickor.

It's quite possibly the greatest series of movies ever.

By Nolan on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 09:43 pm: Edit

Well,lets see.I do not remember a drink called a green cow.So please be so kind as to invent it!!I
suggest 1 part charteuese,1 part creme de menthe and 1 part absinthe of your choice.Or if this sounds putrid to ya then substitute the sauces of your choice.GRIN!!

By Verdigris_Harpy on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 09:29 pm: Edit

The W one.

The "..talyin newbie" one.The only liqours fit to
drink,in my humble and pitiful opinion,are the following,and only for taste:Frangelico,Baileys,
the orange stuff(mixed in something-brain freeze),
Van der Mint,the peppermint stuff(in the 60's/
70's thing-The Grasshopper),Pina Coladas,
Margueritas,a little brandy,and some German
white wine I tasted once.And perhaps absinthe.I like the liquers mixed in plenty of cold milk or hot chocolate.

Hey,is their such thing as a Green Cow? Or
would that only be me after drinking such a thing?
Never been drunk in my life.Not against it for
others,just not appealing for my own life
experience picture book..So,what should this
newbie order up for her and her friends?

Their brains,livers,and kidneys are well broken
in.Not being a "fey" dilettante here,but since
"the single glass" is plenty for moi,pretty
dancing colors,and the 55 percent range is what we all want,and none of us interested,or needs
the big drunk factor for effects of any kind.

Polite and gracious bowing to better minds
than my own....

By Nolan on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 09:18 pm: Edit

A soiree in Nyu Ahrlins?[bama pronunciation.]
Hell Far,that would be way kewl.I wish to hell I could be there for mardi gras or even in Mobile,which is even a little older accordin to us
here in the state that elected George wallace guvner 4 times.the mardi gras stuff I mean to say
oh hell I am drunkin,please excuse the typin or thinkin or sumthin.....Nolan

By Nolan on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 09:07 pm: Edit

Why hallo thayah Ms. Harpy.My MAW MAW lived into her 90's and my other MAW MAW is alive and well at 95.She don't cook no mo but her biscuits an gravy was to die for and so was my other Maw maws.Now I ask you.Is that Arakasas or Arkansaw,the pronunciation I mean to say?And another question if I may be so bold mayam?Do you mean to say you are a tee to tay lin newbie?Or a tee toe tolar?If you are a tee toe toe lar then I must warn you that you will become absolutly PISS DRUNK!! Just from the fumes of this particular forum!!........Nolan

By Don_Walsh on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 09:03 pm: Edit

Well, as to Jade, y'all can rectify your non-acquaintance the very next time Ted throws a soiree in Nawlins. Last time I looked, Louisiana was not yet requiring passports and visas for Alabaman visitors. Indeed, one of mah own kin, an uncle, used to teach at Spring Hill. And I will admit to a few friends in B'ham.

Now as to whether Mississippi will grant you free passage, deponent knoweth not!

By Verdigris_Harpy on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 08:44 pm: Edit

Hi Nolan

No Nuthin the tee to tay lin newbie here-

My grandma's from Arkansas-as she would say"
Is it like shit through a tinhorn? Or is
it like not knowing shit from applebutter?"
No,wait,that's what I know!Grin.

My greatgrandma was from Texas.She made me homeade
biscuits n gravy for breakfast,and drank her
liquor out of jelly glasses.She lived to be 98.

Welcome back,Don Walsh

Uppity Upstart

By Nolan on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 08:28 pm: Edit

Unfortunatly or fortunatly which ever the case may be,I am afraid Hills would have no discernable effect on the likes of moi!! ya see suh,I am from a long line of moonshiners here in Alabama and the taste of my tounge just ain't what it once was.Hills is like popskull white likker.I can drank it but I don't have to lak it!!
Jade is something of which I am not aware, other than from posts on this forum of course.

By Don_Walsh on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 08:18 pm: Edit

If'n ya cheat like that in a real duel I'm afraid mah seconds would be obliged to dispatch you, Suh.

Which in this case would mean switching from Jade to Hill's,

By Nolan on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 08:05 pm: Edit

Yes,I agree,And so I shall start my round as of now.Actually I started without you ha ha ha!!About 2 hours ago.

By Don_Walsh on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 08:02 pm: Edit

A round of absinthes would be most enjoyable.

As for duelling, my ancestry was more into the lupara's at midnight on Gallatin Street, preferably from ambush, as opposed to the single shot pistols at dawn by the great oaks in City Park.

If there must be a contest, a drinking bout would be more suitable. Suh!

By Nolan on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 07:43 pm: Edit

Hell Don,I am glad you are back!! i was just gettin warmed up to yo ass SUH!!!!!!perhaps we shall go a round or so someday!! As only gentle southerners can!!

By Don_Walsh on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 07:14 pm: Edit

Had a chat with Admin and she clarified her new policy to my satisfaction. It's one I can live with.

So I'm back.

A goodly number of you reminded me publicly and privately, by your kind words and deeds, that the forum is not made up of Terminus clones.

So, confusion to our enemies! GROWL! Slaver!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation