Anyone try Absint-shop.com? Not a bad selection

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru February 2002:Anyone try Absint-shop.com? Not a bad selection
By Wanderingmind on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 08:06 am: Edit

Guy's, the Absinthe MD delivered...in 5 days. His Suisse Superior is exquisite, for my taste anyway. It is a very pale yellow, green, with a perfect herbal blend and just enough Anise to give it a nice top end. The whole box reeked of a sweet herbally essence. The smell of this stuff is wonderful. It has a thick and beautiful louche as well. His prices are upper end, I paid 160.00 for the 1 liter Suisse Superior, but I am glad I got it, as my resources are limited. For service that fast and a product this good, for those with limited source availibility, I would reccomend him...definately.

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 05:43 pm: Edit

"Other than having the strongest individual flavor being AA absinthes are redistilled wine alcohol base and are multiherbal blends each selected by the maker as are pastises."

I agree with most of your perception, but it is worthy to note that no modern absinthes appear to fit this definition.

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 05:25 pm: Edit

And I doubt if the Duke of Argyll drinks poteen, either. Ever.

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 05:18 pm: Edit

Roux sells donkey piss. Not absinthe.

By Lmarchegrisiste on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 04:36 pm: Edit

Thanks PeterMarc,

Of course were I in Spain or the Alpes without the expense of shipping there would not be an incentive for blending bottles en topette for an absinthe drip. I am aware also that a finer product you drink straight. With rum and tequila a knowledgeable sipper might pronounce daquiri or margarita grade.

By analogy there is more difference in "tequilas" which by traditional definition the raw ingredient is blue agave. Most wealthy Mexicans drank brandy or whiskey before a rebirth.
Now that blue agave is short of supply margarita grade "tequila" mash mixes are often tequila/rum blends and there is pressure to allow Mexican white agave to be included in a straight.

Agave's fermenting microbe is not even yeast. Other than having the strongest individual flavor being AA absinthes are redistilled wine alcohol base and are multiherbal blends each selected by the maker as are pastises. I guess everyone here has their own secondary ingredient recipe opinions and perceptions, that's mine.

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 04:05 pm: Edit

If one has any experience with 'southernwood', he would be hard-pressed to detect it in Absente. Roux employs but a trace of this herb to promote his lengthy stretch in claiming this product to be the virtual equivalent of traditional absinthe. Indeed it is not, having far more in common in with modern liqueurs d'anise. What it is however is nearly double the price of its sister product (HB Pastis), and seemingly for no *good* reason.

Not to be nit picky, but I feel the Pontissalienne example not to be a good one. They are capable of having equally as good or bad taste as anyone else.

To parallel your example of cutting drinks, one can cut a cheap cabernet sauvignon with a cheap merlot and still preserve some of the flavor of tannin, but cheap wine remains cheap wine.

By Petermarc on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 03:20 pm: Edit

'pontissalienne'

By Lmarchegrisiste on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 03:04 pm: Edit

I have not said that everything and anything should be served as absinthe however thee is as much range in absinthe as in any other product. The furthest I have gone is to say that there is a place for serving blended herbal in the absence of a better selection over here and that not every product sold need be someones idea of a 98.

Even if someone were to accept Roux's claim that "Southern Wormwood" can make an herbal absinthe it is not the prevalent flavor in his blend. It is no more good absinthe than it is a good canelle. It is not a bad product as it's self. What I am trying to say is that a stronger wormwood flavored absinthe can be cut on table to produce a drink in which the prevalent flavor in the blend is still Artemisia Absinthium. It may not be 98 but I doubt a Pontarlieroise would spit it out.

The counter argument I see is that a more strongly wormwooded absinthe might torpedo the request for FDA acceptance of a reinterpretation as to what should define excess.

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 02:36 pm: Edit

My guess is 'no'.

Like usage of the term "wine" however, I do feel that consumers will eventually have access to enough information to differentiate which products best 'fit' their expectations where usage of the term "absinthe" is concerned. This will come only as consumers have access to products of superior quality and authenticity, which may re-shape the mean consumer point of reference. While there will always be a market for cheap novelty products, I predict the emergence of a clearly defined connoisseur market that demands better products as they become available.

By Mr_Carfax on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 02:10 pm: Edit

Ted

I'm crystal ball gazing here...with the slow liberalisation of access, do you think we may ever see a stage where the definitions of what constitutes absinthe being defined within European food legislation, much the same way other spirits and liqueurs are defined?

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 02:02 pm: Edit

I understand and appreciate your point. It makes sense and is not unreasonable. However, I made the reference to grape juice and vodka with the intention of illustrating that a connoisseur of traditional absinthe will find as much excitement in contemporary 'absinthes' made from oil macerations as a wine connoisseur will find in a bottle of Boone's Farm. For perspective's sake however, unless one has been exposed to a better product, he has no point of reference. This is the basis for the current market, where the consumer is (unfairly) exploited.

As far as the port and sherry analogy, the fact that both are fortified is irrelevent. Port and sherry are crafted by well-defined procedures that are follow centuries of tradition. Modern 'absinthes' are not, and are markedly dissimilar from those that were (to which they claim equivalency). One should ask himself how popular Hill's would be if "Absinth" were omitted from the label.

While the Duke of Argyll may not drink 50 year-old single distillery scotch all of the time, he would be disappointed if it were unavailable. He would even find himself being more disappointed upon noting that makers of cheap, blended, adulterated scotch were claiming their products to be the equivalent of the former....and were priced accordingly.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 01:11 pm: Edit

Moonman will stay on the moon but will send me as his representative ;-)

By Lmarchegrisiste on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 12:36 pm: Edit

Maybe only Ted wil understand the references in this one. I am a friend of the founder of L'Espalier. Where do I know him from? Tasty's, hogging down hamburgers! After chatting for months with a short stout French accented North African I asked him his name. I was surprised that he was one of the best known cordon bleu chefs. "After sweating in my kitchen all day I can't stand my own frou frou. Diffrent times different tastes' He didn't think that Tasty's was better accross the board.

As far as mixing in active element both Port and Sherry are fortified. I said glass not bottle Don. What should be most important to each of us is what we ourselves like. What I see here too often is not statements on personal tastes or moods but attempts to impress others with our having what they have not had. Do you suppose even the Duke of Argyll only drinks 50 year single distiller single barrel malts?

By Louched_Liver on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 12:33 pm: Edit

Wolfgang,

Will Moonman the moonshiner be coming to the Absinthe Orgy in NYC? I'd like his autograph on his picture.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 11:53 am: Edit

Two glasses (dose of about 1.25 oz) is the usual reasonable amount, just enough to be mesmerized by the patterns on your spoon without getting a free ticket to the Moonman`s crater. (let's not forget that this is also highly alcoholic).

But well, we all know that if we have all the time in the world, if the setting is perfect and if we don`t have to wake up early next morning, it`s just too easy to pour another glass...

That being said, I found out that in social situation, I don`t feel this effect that much because I`m not centered on myself, focusing on my feelings.

To increase the flowery smell, it helps to pour the water slowly and from higher (like almost 1' from the glass).

By Wanderingmind on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 10:44 am: Edit

Wolf, the La Bleue that I had was called L'interdite and belonged to a close friend of mine. As for a distinction between the other Absinthe which I have drank, which is only of the Spanish variety, yes, there seemed to be a difference. After about three glasses of this L'interdite and then one glass of Deva 70, let's just say that I was in lunar orbit. The distinction which I noticed however was that I seemed somewhat subdued by it's flowery essence and was very tranquil and contemplative...then from there it was only a room spinning blur and as for the rest of the night, hmmm, it's faint now. That is however, the only La Bleue that I have ever had the pleasure of drinking and I loved it hands over fist above any Spanish that I have drank, mainly because of the well balanced flowery taste. Maybe after trying a few other varieties I can better speculate and come nearer to the distnction which you describe. Also, if maybe I take it a little easier next time, I will be caressed and made love to by the succubus and not raped into oblivion. I will approach her with ease and respect the next time we meet.

By Chevalier on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 09:51 am: Edit

No doubt that Guinness was brewed under license in Africa, not Ireland.

Chile brews its own licensed Guinness; we're talking bog water.

By Baz on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 09:21 am: Edit

wanderingmind, that is not just your type of woman, that sounds like most women I've met. Especially the mental rape part. Tis the nature of the beast, and we all keep coming back.

As to mixing drinks that seem odd, I've yet to see anything as strange as what I saw in Kenya. The old bottled guinness, without the widget. You remember the first (and probably last) time you tasted this foul stuff? In Nairobi the fashionable drink for the ladies is to pour a half glass of this guinness, then fill it the rest of the way with coca-cola. I never could get uup the nerve to try that one.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 07:41 am: Edit

Wanderer, I`m not even making this up... There`s a huge gap between modern commercial absinthes and more authentic one. That`s fascinating but also threatening.

Did you feal it that way with the La Bleu you had ?

Have you read Artemis`s review of his travel to New Orlean ?

You will like his description of how he felt after the NO GT...

By Chevalier on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 07:14 am: Edit

One man's goddess is her boyfriend's pain in the ass.

By Petermarc on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 07:02 am: Edit

god created man...and sensing he was not sufficiently alone, he then created woman, so he could feel his solitude more keenly....

By Chevalier on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 06:59 am: Edit

Ted, in some parts of Chile there's a tradition of mixing cheap red wine with Coca-Cola. "Jote", it's called. Words cannot describe how awful it is.

Wanderingmind, you're ripe for visiting Don's place in Bangkok. "Snake-eyed enchantresses" are best taken in infrequent doses.

By Wanderingmind on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 06:58 am: Edit

Damn, sounds like my kind of woman...innocently seductive in the most subtil of ways, then once your hers, she rapes you not only physically, but mentally and spiritually as well. A seductive, snaked eyed enchantress who is aware of the manipulative faculties of a female and can masterfully weave her enchanting web around a man like a black widow wrapping up it's dead prey for a later meal. As evil as it may seem, and no matter how many times we get caught in their web of lust, we always fall prey in the end because without such games of rapture and spell binding pursuits, where would we be? Women are truly magical creatures who continually prolong mans flight on temptations dark wings indefinately. Is it any wonder that Absinthe carries the attributes of a woman? Good post, Wolfgang.

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 06:47 am: Edit

"As it is unless our objective is to be judging the skills of certain European blender/bottlers for straight sipping vs. cocktail drinking we might as well blend together bottled absinthe products or even liquers in the glass ourselves."

In that case, unless our objective is to be judging the skills of wine makers, why not add vodka to grape juice to create our own 'wine' as well?

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 05:55 am: Edit

Sometimes, absinthe (like, say, Wolfsinthe#5) look like a beautifull green angel fairy but after 4-5 glass, when you go to sleep, she remove her disguise and you can see her devilish grinn, bat wings and horns while she look at you with eyes of fire, pointing a skeletal finger at you and telling you in your restless dreams :"Your MINE!"

I'm due for a little absinthe diet...

By Chevalier on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 05:43 am: Edit

Don (who else) wrote:

"Bo matter how many Bohemian bum-boys bay and bugger in the boulevards of cyber."

Grin :-) But, I must chide you for the "Bo". That was stretching it!

By Heiko on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 03:59 am: Edit

All the producers who try to get more wormwood into their absinthe while using oils and not distillation are ending up with products that are too bitter. Take Tabu 73 as an example - it went too bitter, then they added more of the other oils as well and ended up with kind of an "absinthe concentrate" - you can only drink it with a double amount of water.
I think Ulex only put more oil of wormwood in their product, not more other oils - so it's only too bitter.
I don't really see what's the point of this...

--Heiko, who is still waiting for more commercial distilled absinthes like Segarra and Francois Guy and who wishes all modern pastis were distilled like Pontarlier Anis - because it just tastes better!

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 02:49 am: Edit

Could be worse!

By Mvario on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 02:39 am: Edit

uh oh... Don's breaking out the alliteration.

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 01:39 am: Edit

Nothing wrong with taking risks. Especially if you realize, as I'm sure you do, that most of the time you will come up snake eyes. Unless you are a far better gambler than I!

Anyway I think when seeking the Fairy it may be better to stare at the stars than to turn over rocks. All you will find there are counterfeit fee -- crawling things in Acme fairy disguises.

Metaphorically speaking of course.

You should have a chat will fellow Hahvahd Yahd alumnus T.A.Breaux, Esq.

By Wanderingmind on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 01:17 am: Edit

I must say, a very well put statement, Don. I just so happened to run across this place along with a couple others while browsing on the web and well, me being the risk taker that I am, I decided just to try them out just to satisfy my sometimes overly eager curiosity.

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 10:51 pm: Edit

Bullshit. Absinthe is more than just 'some liquor' plus A.absinthium. You can't just take a pastis and add some oil of wormwood and achieve absinthe.

The problem is that you (and tyoo many others it seems) are confusing various products that call themselves absinthe with real absinthe.

Most so-called absinthes produced in contemporary times are not worth using for removing small bloodsucking insects from placid wooly quadripeds by partial immersion.

The obvious fact that any number of opportunistic "blenders/bottlers" as you say -- pour whatever plus alcohol into screw capped glass and slap gaudy labels on it, is the deplorable condition of our times.

To make real absinthe worthy of the name requires scholarship and research and patience and skill and money.

The results can be as different from the Ulex you mentioned as say Mount Gay rum is from bottled pig piss.

We are talking about fine liqueurs worthy of being praised and sought out alongside fine brandies (by which I mean fine old cognacs and armagnacs mostly), fine malt whiskies, and rare liqueurs.

Not some quickly concocted faux green dyed trash bottled by a fly by night Eastern European scam artist to make a quick sale to a gullible mark in search of a nonexistant thujone high. NO.

The heritage of ancient premium absinthe deserves better than that. She demands better than that, no matter how many posturing procurers from Prague prance prettily in the Internet. Bo matter how many Bohemian bum-boys bay and bugger in the boulevards of cyber.

Do not be deceived.

When you encounter the real thing you will know the pretenders for what they are.

By Lmarchegrisiste on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 10:28 pm: Edit

That "percentage" should have been dosage. We are talking about a product differentiated from other liquers by it's content of Artemisia Absinthium. If the AA were not in there we might as well buy through the local liquor store at a fraction of the price.

As it is unless our objective is to be judging the skills of certain European blender/bottlers for straight sipping vs. cocktail drinking we might as well blend together bottled absinthe products or even liquers in the glass ourselves. This is the crux of the pro argument for high AA. EG 1/3 Ulex 2/3 Pernod to produce a 10mg/kg

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 07:03 pm: Edit

Registrant:
Jens Oertling (ABSINT-SHOP-DOM)
The non-commercial Trashtone Studios
Helmholtzstr. 34
Luebeck, D-23562
DE

Domain Name: ABSINT-SHOP.COM

Administrative Contact:
Oertling, Jens (JOM211) Trashtone@GMX.NET
The non-commercial Trashtone Studios
Helmholtzstr. 34
Luebeck, D-23562
DE
+49 451594631
Technical Contact:
Xlink, Hostmaster (HX-ORG) hostmaster@XLINK.NET
KPNQwest Germany - Network Inform. Centre
Emmy-Noether-Str. 9
D-76131 Karlsruhe
GERMANY
+49 721 9652 330
Fax- - +49 721 9652 349
Billing Contact:
Strato InterNIC Billing (SI1382-ORG) billing@STRATO.DE
Strato Medien AG
Carnotstrasse 6
Berlin, Berlin D-10587
DE
+49 30 88615 550
Fax- - +49 30 88615 551

Record last updated on 02-May-2001.
Record expires on 02-May-2003.
Record created on 02-May-2001.
Database last updated on 12-Feb-2002 06:27:00 EST.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS1.WEBMAILER.DE 193.141.40.47
NS2.WEBMAILER.DE 194.120.12.252

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 06:52 pm: Edit

Blackjack, is this the same German guy who ripped off Kallasti's artwork and site before?

Or just another "very sincere flatterer"?

By Sicboy13 on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 04:19 pm: Edit

anything but the Czech...(shudders....vomits...)

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 04:08 pm: Edit

These people are selling ABSENTE and calling it 'absinth'.

These people are selling Czech swill and using Czech style thujone hype...

These people are too shady for a merchant account -- hence they are using Paypal...

Lots of luck!

By Lint on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 04:08 pm: Edit

wanderingmind,
have you received your order yet?
Id like to place one but want to make sure all is well with yours first.

[edit: damn i now see this was only posted yesterday, my mistake]

By Wanderingmind on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 11:17 am: Edit

Paul, just e-mail them and they will give you all of the required info.. FOR SHIPPING UP TO 4KG IT IS ABOUT 24.00, not too bad, as that is the shipping I paid for 2 bottles. They respond fairly rapidly to my e-mails, I am anxious to see how good their service is. They have brands that I have not seen elswhere. Check out that bottle that the Abtshof Absinthe 66 comes in. I ordered that and the Ulex Absinthe Ordinaire. We shall see I suppose. I will also keep you updated on the service of Absinthe MD and Wickedly Delightful, both of which I should be receiving from soon.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 09:39 am: Edit

For those who didn't bother to read the ref., they also state that the essencial oil yield for wormwood goes from 0.27 to 0.4 %, which goes hand in hand with what Ted just said. The 60% of thujone content is also an average.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 09:32 am: Edit

To complete my previous post (sorry if I`m a bit off topic but I`m still answering Wanderingmind`s post...)

Reference on thujone...

Using numbers in this text, we can deduce that the dryed wormwood mass will yield about 0.2% a-thujone (0.35% essential oil * 0.6 thujone content). That means 50gr of good quality wormwood could yield 100mg thujone. I'm not saying this is true,I have no idea because I don't have the equipment and knowledge to test it myself (but that may be not really be a problem soon...)

I would die to know how many thujone there really was in antic E.Pernod, not to bullshit about the secondary effet but to deduce some things about the recipe... Those who know won't tell because of obvious commercial reasons but if I ever get my hands on an antic bottle, I'm heading straight to the nearest university (and lucky me, one of my friend is in bio chemistry...).

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 09:18 am: Edit

The terms "pot" and "flowering tops" are irrelevent when one is making a product from oils and additives. Neither are employed anywhere in the process.

To further confuse things, the essential oil content and characteristics of herbs varies so widely from origin to origin and grower to grower, that it is impossible to establish a standard based upon herbs. This being the case, if for example, we were to substitute different herbs than what we have specifically selected for our process, the results would be unacceptable.

By Paul on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 09:03 am: Edit

Does their listed price include shipping?

For comparisons sake take 2 bottles of Deva

Bought from SC it comes to 89.15 euros

bought from a-s it comes to 60.00 euros + shipping???

I cant find the shipping charges on their site. It would help If the site was in english! I know I'll speak to it slowly & loud that should help.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 08:08 am: Edit

What they probably do to evaluate thujone is use the average escential oil yield of wormwood and use the average % of thujone in that essential oil to give a rough estimate. I doubt they really measure it. They also probably assume all the thujone in the pot will end up in the final product...

The measure I would prefer and that would be a better indicative would be to say how much wormwood (dryed with flowering top) was used in the step to make 1 L of absinthe. That should also be accompanied by a tasting note evaluating the bitterness of the product. Those two informations would also give an idea about the quality of the process they use... I don`t know many people who are able to put more than about 45 gr/L without ending up with a very bitter and woody (in the pejorative sens) absinthe... Of course that doesn`t mean their absinthe are necessarily bad, don`t take me wrong...Just not so charming.

By _Blackjack on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 02:32 am: Edit

Oh, AND they stole Kallisti's graphic.

By Don_Walsh on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 07:38 pm: Edit

Forget thujone.

Do not rely on any presently published thujone estimate or analysis, because they are generally wrong.

If you can't assay for thujone yourself and correctly, which is expensive and technically demanding, you have no reliable information on the subject. Even the 'official' protocol for such assay is unreliable.

By _Blackjack on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 07:16 pm: Edit

Quote:

I believe I remember reading that the average percentage of thujone in a classic was thirty and that there was a problem with bingeing.

Not percent. Something that was thirty PERCENT thujone would be...unpleasent to say the least. The EU limit is 10 mg/kg, which is less than .001%. As for the content of vintage absinthe, the figures floating around are conjecture based on old recipes. There haven't been any accurate studies published based on actual analysis.

Regardless, the quantity of thujone in a finished product is no more indicative of its quality than, say, the quanity of nicotine is indicative of the quality of a cigar. Advertizing a product as having x mg/kg of thujone promotes the idea of absinthe as a thujone-delivery-device, not a beverage, and promotes the idea that thujone itself is a drug, and the only reason for drinking absinthe.

By Lmarchegrisiste on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 03:35 pm: Edit

I believe I remember reading that the average percentage of thujone in a classic was thirty and that there was a problem with bingeing. I think that at the time efforts against absinthe were most successful there were many marginal brands with high degrees of adulteration.

I think that under America and our states current circumstances I would avoid selling bottles. This although there is a thriving bottle gray market in wine. The best opportunity seems to be prudent home service as though I were still with HSA but with a product they don't carry.

I would also carry only the sort of product carried by established dealers in those countries like Spain and Britain where there is a more clearly regulated absinthe policy. This should probably include stocking only the left hand side of the bell curve as far as AA and thujone content.

HSA = Harvard Student Agencies

By Tabreaux on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 02:36 pm: Edit

"This kind of change over the interpretation of terms is easier than going through Congress."

In this case, "easier" certainly isn't "easy", and deep pockets and a strong argument are essential in any case. Given the skewed views of absinthe being exploited by the media, I see changing the direction of the current regs being akin to ice skating uphill.

By Baz on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 02:32 pm: Edit

Ted-
Hill's, eh....Hmmm.
The aforementioned headache effect. I can get that from some of the local Kentucky sippin water. Distilled, that is.

By Lmarchegrisiste on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 02:16 pm: Edit

Yes Ted,

But if the law says "excessive" instead of not greater than 1mg/kg then change can be made at the regulatory rather than legislative level. This kind of change over the interpretation of terms is easier than going through Congress. "If Tesco and Waitrose have it and other mainstream
supermarkets then x<10 might not be so extraordinary" I would sure prefer to be called in by an administrative judge over something available at Aldi's than "King 100"

By Tabreaux on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 01:59 pm: Edit

"What's a secondary effect?"

Drink 4-5 shots of Hill's, and you will receive a definite answer in the form of a 'delayed effect'. Enjoy.

"As such it supports the con statement against unusually high AA content."

Where U.S laws are concerned:

Use of the term "Absinthe" appears to be forbidden as a product description.

A. absinthium is banned as a food/beverage additive.

"Excessive" appears to be defined as 1 mg/kg, which refers to the herb itself, not thujone.

By Lmarchegrisiste on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 01:49 pm: Edit

Well I can defer to your knowledge and perceptions. Without taste testing each product and visiting their plant it would be difficult to know. An overly high wormwood absinthe probably would not have a pleasant taste anyway. As such it supports the con statement against unusually high AA content.

By Baz on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 01:44 pm: Edit

What's a secondary effect?

heh heh heh...

By Tabreaux on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 01:36 pm: Edit

A significant percentage of products at the low end of the quality spectrum are adulterated to increase the thujone content, and these adulterants frequently have nothing to do with absinthium.

The thujone numbers claimed by vendors appear to be largely fabricated.

This is all of little consequence, as about the only 'secondary effect' one usually experiences from said products is a headache.

By Wolfgang on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 01:32 pm: Edit

What they should boost is high Artemisia absinthium content... High thujone doesn't necessary mean they actually put any wormwood *herb* in it anyway...

The problem is that most (all?) of the time, they just don't know how to put enough wormwood to have an highly concentrated absinthe without wasting the taste. If they can't boost an "exceptional taste" absinthe, all they can do is stupidly boost an "high thujone content".

It's possible to make such a powerfull absinthe that it won't even be funny to drink anymore even if it's palatable...But what's the point in doing such a drink ? Getting high ? There's cheaper way to do so...

My friend on the moon have reached that point. He could put more but he say it's just enough like that because it's enjoyable, it's good, it gives you a mild and nice buzz after only a glass so that's just perfect like that.

This is a pleasant drink, not a drug.

By Lmarchegrisiste on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 01:25 pm: Edit

Zman

I haven't seen any producers adding chemical thujone what they usually mean is high wormwood.

By Zman7 on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 01:20 pm: Edit

Never mind the debate over whether thujone is even the culprit behind "secondary" effects. Most thought is that it is derived (if at all) from a cumulative of all the herbs working together. Retailers who trumpet "high" thujone as a means of pushing sales are no better that the Tony Aiellos of broadcast. It is just irresponsible and gives the absinthe naysayers more ammunition to keep it out of the mainstream.

By Lmarchegrisiste on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 12:59 pm: Edit

There are pros and cons to high thujone content.
PRO

1.) Wormwood has effects of its own besides alcohol. In order to get a more pronounced wormwood effct you can either drink a higher thujone or more glasses of standard absinthe a lot of the effect of thujone would be lost to the alcohol effect.

2.) While say Ulex may have a high thujone it can be cut with some other beverage pastis perhaps. This brings down the thujone percentage. It does not cost more to ship a high thujone absinthe.

CON

1.) The standard maximum thujone content in Europe is now 10mg/kg the US laws against absinthe say "excess of artemisia absinthium. If you are called into an a US FDA Administrative Court it is possible to state European supermarkets carry x<10 as being non excessive as opposed to say King 100. I see a day when absinthe will be widely available without a new law.

By _Blackjack on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 12:33 pm: Edit

I, for one, would be reluctant to order from them, simply because I don't want to ecourage using thujone content as a selling point.

By Lmarchegrisiste on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 12:29 pm: Edit

http://www.absint-shop.com

By Wolfgang on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 11:49 am: Edit

You can do a keyword search...

I never heard about Wickedly dilightfull. They are expensive. Let us know if at least they provide a good service.

For the spanish you should check SC and order 5 bottles at a time to reduce shipping cost.

By Wanderingmind on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 11:12 am: Edit

First of all, this is my first post here, so hello, nice to meet you guys. Anyway, has anyone tried to order from Absint-shop.com yet? They ship to the USA and accept payment by paypal. I tried them just to see if they were on the level. I ordered a liter bottle of the German Ulex Absinthe Ordinaire, which is, according to them, supposed to contain 30.8mg/kg of thujone. Who knows?

Since I cannot find info in this particular product or some of the other various brands that they offer, I figured I would take a chance. "Nothing ventured, nothing gained," aye? They also carry the typical Spanish fare, such as Deva, Lasala, ect. I might add that they are very fast to respond to e-mails and shipping is about $24.00 USD for up to 4kg. I ordered two bottles, shipping and all for $87.00. Not a bad deal, considering some prices lately.

On any account, I would like to hear of any experiences with ordering from this company and any reveiws of this particular Absinthe, if anyone has tried it. In the meantime, I have also placed orders with the Absinthe MD and another domestic source called Wickedly Delightful, who carries La Bleue (that is rather expensive) and various Spanish brands. Any experiences with these suppliers?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation