La Bleue vrs. La Bleue vrs. La Bleue

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru February 2002:La Bleue vrs. La Bleue vrs. La Bleue
By Rimbaud on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 08:02 pm: Edit

>Oh,by the way Betty told me that she privately calls the #1 The snow white fairy.

Well, isn't that special?...

By Louched_Liver on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 12:28 pm: Edit

Rabid,

Justin's? Yessir! At my place last March-Absinthe Adorers of Pa-the "neon incident", Justin's only. Then again @ Panty's for the Tri-State. You had BEI, and Betty's #3.

By Mr_Rabid on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 12:07 pm: Edit

See? Whacked I tell ya. Justins?

By Louched_Liver on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 02:41 am: Edit

Rabid,

Since I was there both times, it was Justin's twice, and Betty's #3. And yes, you mentioned how whacked ya got. Wait 'til ya try Wolvie's.

One of life's chroniclers,
LL

By Nolan on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 12:19 am: Edit

Here is my tuppence.I have had 5 or 6 of Betinas
la bleue #1 and the same of her la bleue# 3.
I never tried her # 2. My mistake.It is no longer available.I find Bettys la bleues to be consistent.And I don't think they could have come from the same batch.I have ordered them over a period of a couple years or so.They both have a most fine herbal effect on me and a build up can be VERY interesting.#1 has a stronger taste of anise to me than does #3.Though you can taste some anise in her #3.They are both really good to my taste buds.Her #3 is a little bit sweeter and is a little more complex to my taste.A friend who drinks quite often with me thinks the #1 is more complex.So I guess it is a matter of how your own taste buds respond to something.I have only tried one other la bleue and while it was good,much better than any spanish,I don't think it was as good as the two of Betinas that I have tried.A friend of mine supplied this la bleue and I have no idea what source it came from.I just know it was not either one of Betinas la bleues.Oh,by the way Betty told me that she privately calls the #1 The snow white fairy.

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 12:13 am: Edit

It isn't hard to be consistent. It's a simple trick. However, the LB makers apparently don't care. So they don't bother.

And the vast majority of LB is produced by a tiny number of large well organized bootleggers, the balance being made in insignificant amounts by a large number of tiny also-rans.

By Mr_Rabid on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 07:08 pm: Edit

The LBs I've had (both Betty's I think) secondaried my ass into a stupor by the end of the glass. I shudder to think what a buildup would do...

By Illequipped on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 06:57 pm: Edit

Wolfgang,
Exactly my experience. I felt something powerful the first time I had absinthe, then less and less until finally nothing. My usual style of drinking was to belt back a few twice or thrice a week. With absinthe I discovered I had to go without for several weeks, (well, I try anyway), and then drink a couple of days in a row. And then you really get a habit for the stuff!
Hooked on the green fe'e

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 06:25 pm: Edit

It`s interesting that you noticed a difference on the second day of drinking... I also think there is a build up effect...until you just get use to it and don`t feal it (then it`s time for a one or two week no-absinthe diet...).

By Illequipped on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 06:17 pm: Edit

My slight experience with non-commercial:

Betina's #2: Tastes like a delicate anisette. Not at all like Spanish. Slightly sweet, not cloying. Can be drunk with or without sugar. Other herbs way in the background if you hold the drink in your mouth a bit. Goes down easily, too easily! Quaffing a $200 bottle in one night is a definite possibility. Secondary effects are slight the first day, strong on the second and third day of drinking the stuff.

Bottle I got from Mike Iavarone (who got it from Betty); he thinks it was #1, but can't say for sure: Same taste pretty much as #2, but very slight effects, similar to Deva's. Sorry I coulldn't be more specific on the provenance, but that's all I know.

Andysinthe green: Very herbal, light on anise. Earthier taste than the above. Fairly strong effects. Maybe best all round.

That's my subjective two cents for what it's worth. Don't have enough money to invest much in the non-sc market. Maybe I'll try Wolfie's someday, but not now.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 03:29 pm: Edit

A la Bleu is an hausgematche whore.

My friend on the moon tells me he really don't know if he will have one day any interest in doing the exact same recipe again because he have lot's of fun creating new one. I guess it's the same for many La Bleu. If he ever find an exceptional recipe worthy of being made at least twice, he will give it a real name, not just a number.

By Maldoror on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 03:08 pm: Edit

That make sense. And since these absinthes which are both unpredictable and at the same time considered the best available(At least for now), I think a community like this forum is the best way of get info. on them. The more updates and reviews on the small scale distillers the better.
If someone gets a bottle of Wolvies new batch and thinks it sucks compared to the last one, it's helpful to post that. Even when people make overly opinionated or self motivated comments, discussing La Bleue or any small produced absinthes, is a particularly useful aspect of the forum. That's why I'm encouraging that more be written on this subject.

Maldoror

By Morriganlefey on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 02:41 pm: Edit

Justin and Heiko are right on. The only way to assure any relative consistancy is to order from the same batch from the same distiller. Assuming all Betty's #2 is from the same "batch", you'd likely get something similar to what I had. If not, you may well get piss-water.

La Bleue is a crap-shoot that ranges from abysmal to sublime, and that's part of what makes it so elusive.

Happy hunting, Mal

- M

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 01:45 pm: Edit

I concur Heiko...The whole nature of la bleue is that it does not have commercial stability, labeling, methodology. I have had three of four batches from the same person all of which ranged considerably in final product. I am sure those with practical knowledge in this field know the difficulty that small-scale distillation in terms of consistency.

By Heiko on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 01:38 pm: Edit

Can you be sure that even "brands" like Betty's #2 are always the same?
If the distiller decides that he and his friends suddenly like this or that recipe better, he's gonna change it because his friends and family are usually the people he makes his La Bleue for.

By Maldoror on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 12:28 pm: Edit

Ah, interesting... There website does state that they are looking for distruibutors.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 12:07 pm: Edit

That's it.

By Tlautrec on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 11:40 am: Edit

Maldoror-

A little over a year ago, I sent isuisse an e-mail asking how I might obtain their product, and they referred me to Doc 1030, so I assume that Doc 1030 is the American distributer for isuisse.

By Maldoror on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 10:51 am: Edit

Thanks Sexy Miss Morrigan.

Still curious if anyone's even dealt with iswiss???

By Morriganlefey on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 09:50 am: Edit

Mal -

I've sampled both Betty's Bleue #2, the LaBleue offered by Doc1030 (also known as AbsinthDoc, I believe), and an unlabeled bottle smuggled back directly from the Val de T by a friend.

The mystery bottle was probably the most daring and divine of the LB's I've ever sipped, but since no one knows exactly where it came from and it's basically unattainable, I would go with Betty's #2 (which may or maynot be available anymore). It was subtly herbal and very refreshing without being limp. The Doc1030, on the otherhand, I found weak and watery, with a slight but still present strange metallic aftertaste.

Just my .02...

- M

By Louched_Liver on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 06:15 pm: Edit

Mal,

Iswiss is brought up on a regular basis, but I don't remember anyone actually getting any.

By Maldoror on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 06:10 pm: Edit

Petermarc,

I understand what your saying. I guess, I not particularly interested in catagorizing them, it's more that I'd like to hear feed back on what's currently out there. All that's written in the "New La Bleue Source" strain really helped me decide about buying Wolvies stuff. I would love to hear more opinions about the other ones. In particular - iswiss. Has anyone tried theirs? How does it compaire to Wolvies? That sort of shit.

Maldoror.

By Pikkle on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 04:30 pm: Edit

Kaiser Soze!

By Petermarc on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 04:15 pm: Edit

the first thing to remember is that 'la bleues'
by nature, are almost impossible to catagorize, since there are no open, identifiable distillers...
the label really means nothing...don't expect any review to consistantly represent an individual product (you can't even expect that from labeled bottles of wine with strict controls)...the wimpiest la bleue i had was actually tasted in the val-de-travers, in switzerland, in it's native environment...this is a game best played using your own experience and shared with OPM...

By Maldoror on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 03:52 pm: Edit

Alright, I've tasted Wolvie and Betina # 1. But I know there are more out there and they vary. The reviews on the buyers guild only looks at Jura and one of Betina's.

To clump them all together as "La Bleue" is confusing since in essence they are all different Absinthes.

So, whether for the Buyer Guild or just for my own greedy knowledge, I think it would be helpful to differenciate and review the various La Bleues. Or at least help me with a few questions.

Of the various La Bleues, available to buy on-line, what is out there, how much and who likes what best?

In particular, has anyone tried any of the stuff from iswiss.ifrance.com? They have three different ones. How do they compare to Wolvie's stuff? Are there already any reviews on the forum that I can look at?

Maldoror

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation