Los Angeles absintheurs -- where are you??

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru February 2002:Los Angeles absintheurs -- where are you??
By Iamadonut on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 12:22 am: Edit

:) sorry about that. I have no idea why I wrote that, honestly. My humble apologies.

I guess I should take my own advice about not jumping to conclusions, huh?

Yours in drag,
Ian "Rupaul" Young

By Destiny on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 10:44 pm: Edit

Mme.? What am I, a drag queen?

(well, maybe a little.)

By Iamadonut on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 08:37 pm: Edit

In due time Mme. Destiny, in due time...

I think the ACLU or someone raised a stinker about the new anti-drug campaign. That obviously did very little...

By Destiny on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 06:56 pm: Edit

I didn't see Colin Powell on MTV but I did see a commercial that cut from person to person saying something like "I helped a judge", "I helped murder a father"... Then it ends with by flasing "illegal drugs support terrorism" or somethng like that. It states that it was funded by US office of I knew they were starting something...

I bet this is how they will add additional bite to the drug laws, charging drug users with supporting terorists. I'm so fucking sick of all this Bush/Ashcroft bullshit.

Donut, don't be a narc rat, do something meaningful - be an investigative journalist and get the goods on the bastard politicians!!!

By Iamadonut on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 06:00 pm: Edit

Wow...I would've mentioned "opium" earlier if I knew that people would reply to it so readily.

So, in a (most likely futile) effort to get back on track...

I'd still like to meet/talk/email with ANYONE at this point -- maybe if I reach out a little further than LA more people will respond? Well, probably not.

Still trying to tear apart the absinthe universe,
Ian Young

By Lmarchegrisiste on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 04:04 pm: Edit

That just confirms what my Bulgarian friend said about Opium Poppies being bred to heighten the content. Also opium gum is only heated instead of burned like pot.

By Heiko on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 03:56 pm: Edit

A few years ago a friend and I, for lack of other smokable substances, harvested some poppy plants that were planted all around the old people's home where we were working during our year of civil service. We dried all that sticky stuff and smoked it in a bong but felt absolutely nothing from it. We concluded there must be a big difference between this poppy and opium poppy, maybe we had just messed it up somehow. However, we ended up snorting a crushed ecstasy pill...

I'm so glad I don't need all that bad drugs aymore.

By Lmarchegrisiste on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 03:33 pm: Edit

As of two years ago poppies were an intent issue. Someone doing gum collection was regarded as a felon at any level while a bonafide decorative grower had little to worry about.

By Heiko on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 03:22 pm: Edit

Hey, the edit function is working!!!

By Baz on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 03:21 pm: Edit

actually any part of the poppy plant is illegal. Poppy straw is illegal in Kentucky and I assume is on the federal schedule as well. Technically the poppies that come in flower arrangements are illegal too, as you can crush them and make a vile substance called poopy tea. The dea has recently been harrassing flower shop owners about this, and it is becoming harder to find dried poppy pods in flower arrangements. A reporter did a story on this recently, called it something like "The poppies are not beautiful-the war on flower arrangements in america" It was actually very well written. I"ll try to find a link this weekend.

Anyway, I have to move on and rant about something else soon, my ephidrine is still kicking my ass around the office. I think I'll go home and try that deva 70 which I still haven't opened.

By Heiko on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 03:12 pm: Edit

There are rumours that the CIA finances all of their illegal actions with money from cocaine deals, on the other hand the US trains and finances anti-drug troups in South America that burn a few coca fields for American camera teams once a year but mostly only harass the poor people.
In the end, however, it's all the pot-smokers' fault...

I can only say the most and usually best weed in Europe comes from indoor growers all across Europe. You can't really make that much money with weed, so smuggling it all across the world would not be worth it. Weed has long become a European as well as a North American cultural heritage, there is nothing political about it anymore.

I am not smoking weed anymore because I felt it was not good for me and my life. However I can imagine when I'm seventy and suffering from arthritis I will maybe grow some of it again (and become a real classic grandpa, sitting in front of the house and smoking his pipe) ;-)

--Heiko, sipping his second glass of Francois Guy (yummy!) and listening to the Heathen

P.S.:In addition to the good drink and music, today was the last day of the semester, ahhh! Life can be great!

By Lmarchegrisiste on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 03:11 pm: Edit

There could be two landowners with identical varieties of poppies there might be five on one side and five hundred on the other. If there is an inspection and they find both fields if there are marks on the five seed capsules and none on the five hundred the five are the ones that send their owner to jail. Otherwise the poppies are legal.

By Baz on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 03:06 pm: Edit

I've heard that too, but I've heard that the opium grown for legal medications is harvested for the seeds as well. Sort of a way to get two crops from one plant. I don't know which story is true, but I know w/o doubt that o comes out of them all.
Can you believe the gov of the usa printed a "how to" document for that stuff, though?

By Lmarchegrisiste on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 03:01 pm: Edit

I have a friend whose family came from the Near East. They serve poppy tea. The level of opium fom poppy to poppy variety but all have some of it in them. Opium poppies, spice and decorative poppies are bred for different purposes. An "Opium Poppy" has been bred to heighten the level of opium. I passed on the opportunity to partake with my friends but I am told that opium effect from a spice poppy just takes more gum.

By Baz on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 02:54 pm: Edit

TRUTH TO THE MASSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Baz on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 02:52 pm: Edit

the "BIG SECRET" is that poppy seeds like you can go buy at the supermarket are opium poppy seeds. And yes they are viable. and yes I know this from experience. And yes they are real opium, trust me.
The shit grows like a weed. Harvest is the hard part. It takes several pods to produce anything, though.

By Larsbogart on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 02:35 pm: Edit

i remember a site that had pictures of those seeds and what develops, but i lost the link. i will never forget it.

By Chevalier on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 01:30 pm: Edit

Regarding Vera's profile picture:

"'Seeing is believing,' we used to say; but that's never really been true. During the Second World War, newsreels showed Hitler dancing a jig after the fall of France in 1940. Hitler was many things, but a jig fancier he wasn't. He never did dance that jig---he just lifted his leg. It was Allied newsmakers who optically looped that leg movement into a jig."

By Baz on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 01:14 pm: Edit

welcome back vera!
Like the new picture, but I liked the chainsaw too

By Mr_Rabid on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 01:11 pm: Edit

Vera! :-)

By Baz on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 01:08 pm: Edit

I read on poppies.org about people taking millions of opium seeeds and planting them in the medians of highways, then harvesting the opium. I laughed my ass off.
The government in the early 90's printed a detailed pamphlet on how to grow your own o. They spent a great deal of time, and it is like a bible to anyone that wants to grow opium and refine the heroin out. Then, somebody got a fucking clue. "We're printing a manual that uncovers the lies we've spoon fed the american public and now they will know this is easy" so they took the pamphlet out of print.
Goddamn puss dripping dick tips.

By Lmarchegrisiste on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 12:44 pm: Edit

I remember what it was like working for the State Republican Party in the eary eighties.

The elders would rant against drugs while the younger activists nodded their heas in agreement. Then on Friday afternoon the youngsters would ask me if I could score them some for the weekend.

I always said no, too much like using fishhooks to catch fish in a barrell...if I were simultaneously bathing in it.

By Chevalier on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 10:02 am: Edit

How are you doing, Vera?

By Verawench on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 09:50 am: Edit

Lars, Lars... hush. It's ok.

By Larsbogart on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 08:29 am: Edit

how about DICK HEAD colin powell on MTV last night telling teenagers that personal drug use funds terrorism? fighting terrorism begins right here at home snuffin out some old pot smokers. thats why americas mayor rudy is relocating to miami? i think (s)hes going to be out of his element.

By Baz on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 08:13 am: Edit

"Why should anybody waste money and manpower on something that is harmless?"

Wasting money on harmless things in the government gets you more money. Wasting manpower on absinthe would mean needing more money to hire more people to cut down pot. Waste makes waste in the gov.

While in jamaica last year, I could have sworn that we had gone to war with them. Blackhawks and other choppers all around, military and dea everywhere. It seems that one of the requirements for jamaica to be included in NAFTA and other treaties is that they let us send our military into their country to destroy their marijuana. Is there really that much pot smuggling going on anymore? Lots of people grow their own and don't worry about it. We are sending military units into jamaica to cut down their private gardens, spray their fields from helicopters, and harrass the local population.

Your argument assumes logic prevails with fda, dea, atf, etc. That assumption is incorrect.

We are treated the same way in Kentucky. Pot is our #1 cash crop. In the autumn, this place is like a war zone. And now they are busting the canabis clubs in SF for giving medicinal marijuana to sick people. Of course they will waste money and manpower on something that is harmless. Or at least, mostly harmless. (sorry and goodby Douglas Adams)

By Chevalier on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 06:11 am: Edit

Mr. Donut, here's a quote from the film LAWRENCE OF ARABIA. It refers to an Arab revolt against the Turks:

"A storm in a teacup, Dryden -- a sideshow. A sideshow of a sideshow."

As it turns out, the speaker was half-right. Sideshows of sideshows, though small in themselves, can still attract big publicity: that sword with two edges. It certainly happened in the Arab revolt's case.

By Zman7 on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 05:53 am: Edit

Hey, how did donut find out we are "crazy bug eyed absinteurs who are plotting to ruin the world with their peaceful sippings?"
Who let the cat out of the bag? Another plan for world-wide domination down the drain ;)

By Iamadonut on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 11:11 pm: Edit

The last thing I'd want to do is implode your absinthe world, and I severely doubt a call to the FDA will be the match to light the fuse. Unless everyone in the FDA is a shut in, then I guarantee they know all about absinthe and it's denizens -- but why should they bother to waste manpower and money with something that's harmless? Harmless? Did a journalist just say absinthe was harmless? Yes -- that's the conclusion I'm getting at. Pretty different than the kids over at Fox, huh?

In a well balanced article, you need quotes. You need quotes by people with fancy titles and letters before their name like "Dr." I'm rather positive I won't be finding out anything by calling them, but a simple quote by a simple man with a simple job along the lines of "yes, anything with thujone in it is illegal in the United States," goes a long way. Unfortunately, that's how it goes. I doubt a call to the FDA will result in the Red batphone being used to call Dubya so he can roll out the troops to prevent the real enemy, those crazy bug-eyed absinteurs who are plotting to ruin the world with their peaceful sippings.

I think you should be more worried about ridiculous pieces such as the WNBC piece than the FDA pencil pushers.

Ian "FDA Narc" Young

By _Blackjack on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 08:17 pm: Edit

The problem with talking to the FDA is that, well, it's a bureaucracy, so whoever you get on the phone is going to be a petty bureaucrat, not a chemist, historian, or lawyer. I know customs has a publication which states importing absinthe is illegal, but sites no statutory or regulatory authority for the statement. The ONLY references I have been able to find to absinthe, wormwood or artemisia absinthium are in the Code of Federal Regulations, stating that wormwood may not be used as a food additive if there are detectable levels of thujone, and governing trading wormwood as a commodity. There is no reference to absinthe, wormwood, a. absinthium or thujone anywhere in the US _Criminal_ Code.

So, no, absinthe is no more an "illegal drug" than pre-1976 red M&M's with red dye #2, or Russian caviar with borax.

By Destiny on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 07:46 pm: Edit

Of course they know about absinthe, and it certainly wouldn't be hard for an agency to identify importers and crack down on them or put pressure on an ally country to crack down, if they really wanted to. But I don't see why anyone who is a friend of absinthe would needlessly draw ANY governmental attention to it? Why? The facts and the FDA's position are already available without having to call them and risk putting a bee in their bonnet.

Just watch donut's call be the final straw that causes a crack down. Then we'll all be reaching for that last bottle of Serpis or Hills that we swore we'd never touch again.

Hmmm, maybe I am paranoid!!!

By Mr_Carfax on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 02:19 pm: Edit

I am pretty sure there are core elements in the FDA that know all about absinthe, just as Australian/New Zealand food authority knows about absinthe, as do the UK food authority- international government agencies talk to each other all the time, it is how policy is shaped and global public health issues identified.

By Destiny on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 01:16 pm: Edit

Hi donut,

I'm not paranoid at all but I think that contacting the FDA and specifically asking about absinthe and thujone is a very bad idea. There's a difference between being paranoid and drawing unnecessary attention.

Moulon Rouge is getting lots of press again and, in light of the recent bad press on absinthe, I fear that governmental inquiries would not help the situation. Again, I'm not paranoid but why even mention it to the FDA? All it takes is one over zealous government employee of the USSA to cause problems. I'm sure that you can get plenty of good, accurate information from your own diligent research and some help from the knowlegable people on this forum.

By Iamadonut on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 09:13 am: Edit

Marc, thank you for the post; I look forward to speaking with you.

Peter, I wouldn't miss the art show for the world. See you Saturday.

Zman, thanks for the clarification -- it's an important one. I'm currently trying to reach the FDA and maybe they can enlighten me some more.

By Zman7 on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 05:30 am: Edit

>I am looking at absinthe, an illegal drug in the United States,is different from other illicit substances.

Absinthe is not an illegal drug. It is not now, nor ever has been, on a schedule of illegal drugs. A.absinthium is however a non-FDA approved food additive, hence the reason (now)for it not being manufactured or imported into the United States. As far as I know, it is not illegal to possess or consume absinthe in the U.S.

By Petermarc on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 03:58 am: Edit

go to the art show...

By Pablo on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 02:32 am: Edit

Well said.

(they can take my bottle! from my cold dead fingers!)

By Marccampbell on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 02:14 am: Edit

I'll give you a call tomorrow.

one of the binding factors (glue) that holds some cults (secret societies, clubs, fraternities)together is paranoia. Because absinthe is illegal in this country (USA) you have a subculture of absinthe drinkers who measure their coolness factor by the fact that they are doing something taboo. If you look closely at this "subculture" you will see that it is comprised of many of the elements of most subcultures: nerds, afficianadoes, hobbyists, curious observers and charlatans.
Its a colorful lot. As for me, I'm a combination of all of the above. One thing that I am not is
paranoid. I've broken too many laws in my life to
consider drinking absinthe as a major league infraction. Let em come and get me. So, essentially what I'm saying is this:
prepare to deal with a handful of drama queens who will accuse you of attempting to co-op, misrepresent or exploit the absinthe "subculture". Fuck em. We've been drinking this stuff for years, talking about it,
buying it and selling it...and we're still running free. Our problem is not one of being lawbreakers, but one of suffering delusions of grandeur.

By Iamadonut on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 01:30 am: Edit

A kind soul emailed me regarding my post and brought up a good point -- it's currently sweeps week and a story like this could turn into the next FOX expose on how absinthe is the next social evil and is responsible for the decline of Asian pandas, etc.

Hopefully you'll believe me that this isn't what I'm going for.

The article I'm trying to write isn't an expose on the latest drug, or how absinthe is sweeping it's way through upperclass society like crack through Compton. I'm looking at how absinthe, an illegal drug in the United States, is different than other illicit substances. People aren't selling their babies to get absinthe (although if what I've been reading about Jade is true, this might change...). Instead, absinthe is viewed with this air of mystique, this superiority as a magical elixir. I just want to relate some of that to people who don't know anything about it.

The class that I am writing this for is taught by a chief editor of Playboy and we're not trying to put together a piece fit for the national enquirer. Instead, I'm trying to compile a well-researched story that is enlightening as well as intelligent. Two words that Fox doesn't have in their vocabulary.

I completely understand your hesitation in talking to me...I'm not very proud of the press, either.

My goal for this article is to get it published, but by God they'll have to kill me before it becomes the next Inside Edition feature. For now, the article will just be turned in for a grade. After that, who knows...hopefully a reputable magazine will be interested.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. Hopefully someone here can help me out...Even if it's just a kind word of encouragement, a suggestion, an anonymous note...

Thanks again,
Ian Young
(323) 735-1311

By Petermarc on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 01:24 am: Edit

...you furnish the pictures and i'll furnish the war...

-william randolph hearst

By Iamadonut on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 07:49 pm: Edit

My name is Ian and I've been a reader of these boards on and off for about a year now. This is my first post and, being the self-serving bastard that I am, it is a (humble) request. (And no, I'm not asking where I can buy it or if it makes you high)

In all seriousness, I am a journalism student at USC who is writing an article for my Magazine Writing class on...well, absinthe.

What I'm asking is if any of you would be willing to help me by answering a few questions?? Ideally it would be in person (I live near downtown Los Angeles and am willing to travel to you). To make this article a success I need to meet someone and spend some time with them, and unfortunately I haven't been very succesful thus far.

If you can spare a few minutes, I would dearly love to be able to speak with you, maybe even be witness to an absinthe gathering between you and some friends! I'll even donate the rest of my absinthe stash, a measly quarter bottle of Lasala! Please email me at Iamadonut@aol.com or at Iyoung@usc.edu. You can also call me at (323)735-1311. Feel free to call at anytime.

Thank you very much for your help!
Ian Young

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation