WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST!!!!

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru February 2002:WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST!!!!
By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 05:03 am: Edit

From SC you would do well to order 1 bottle of each absinthe that they carry and make up your own mind. You have been told that Lasalla is good, I think it is awful. Some will say Segarra is great, I think it is mediocre. I will tell you that Serpis is good, others will say it is awful. I will tell you that Deva is good, others will tell you that is is mediocre. I will tell you that Sebor is good, others call it Czech swill.

As for paying $200 for a bottle of any absinthe, well unless you are a very wealthy man and $200 means very little to you then don't bother. In my opinion no absinthe is worth this much.

Order 1 of everything that is affordable and then make up your own mind. There is so much disagreement here about what is best, so in the end you'd do well make up your own mind. Trust your own taste-buds. Order 1 of everything that SC list and also get yourself a bottle of Sebor to try. Make up your own mind but don't buy a repeat bottle of anything until you have tasted most of the brands that are affordable.

Hobgoblin

By Louched_Liver on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 10:51 pm: Edit

And Baz, you eat the worm last. Don't suck it out 1st.

Playing Miss Manners,
Louchey

By Baz on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 03:07 pm: Edit

Where's the sport in that?

By Mvario on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 03:07 pm: Edit

Personally I would suggest adding a bottle of Segarra. I think it tastes very different than the other Spanish absinthes I have tried (NS, Deva 50, and Serpis) and I like it much better. It will depend on your tastes. I find it less sweet and not overpowered by anis.

By Chevalier on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 03:02 pm: Edit

In the future, Baz, try NOT eating the worm.

By Baz on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 02:59 pm: Edit

Mezcal gives me a special effect, too.
Technicolor hurl

By Arj on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 02:55 pm: Edit

From SC, I would suggest Segarra, NS, and Versinthe (which may or may not be a pastis but is worth trying) for a full range of flavors. Try Wolvie's site (mentioned elsewhere in the Forum) for LB. Don't pay $200/bottle.

As for effects, even "conventional alcohol" varies. Mezcal gives me as unique an effect as absinthe, and both are equally far from the usual beer buzz. Most people will drink it because it is good tasting, it isn't some far-out drug-like experience if that's what you're asking.

By Pikkle on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 02:05 pm: Edit

Vegas? Who said Vegas? I'll be there next month, on the 4th... WHO WANTS TO PARTY!!!!????????!!!!!!!

By Wolfgang on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 01:27 pm: Edit

Browse through the archives, do some keyword search...

If you like the taste of anis and sugar, you will probably like it... Until you get a taste of something better.

By Lmarchegrisiste on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 12:53 pm: Edit

You have ordered what I would have except that I'd have gone for five, perhaps adding a Lasala. All good basic everyday products. Someone posting after will no doubt be adding that the particular brand of La Bleue you were buying was the wrong one.

By Salspec on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 12:37 pm: Edit

Yes, I am a "new-bee". And, yes my taste buds have yet to experience the pleasure of the "Green Fairy". Which is why I've posted this message. What brands should I try? I'd like to achieve the quintessential Absinthe experience? I have 4 bottles on order from SC. 2 of them Deva50, the other 2 Deva70 (as suggested by Betty). I trust her opinion. I would however like to read the opinions of the consensus. I almost purchased a $200 bottle of the swiss. But, I couldn't justify taking a $200 blind leap (I'll save those moments for Vegas).

I would also like to know (honestly) what I am in for. How does the influence of Absinthe, rival that of conventional alcohol. Is the wormwood (Thujone) that potent, or is it just a good tasting drink?

Thanks Guys,

Salspec

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation