Absinthe Old Way

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru February 2002:Absinthe Old Way
By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 12:15 am: Edit

Well I don't drink Mari Mayans any more (I'm not knocking it, it's just not my personal cup of tea) but the last bottle I had from SC did look like it would glow in the dark. Also Sainsbury's supermarkets stock it in the UK and the bottles on the shelf still have that lime-green shocking 'glow-in-the dark' colour.

Hobgoblin

By Sicboy13 on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 08:42 pm: Edit

dont want to fuck up my sweet tattoos Don, but thanks

By Don_Walsh on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 08:26 pm: Edit

Read and become enlightened, oh grasshopper!

(By the way when the time comes to roll up your sleeves and pick up the red hot brazier, sodium silicate on the inside of your forearms is highly recommended.)

By Don_Walsh on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 08:23 pm: Edit

Ex vendor. BEI no longer sells absinthe. Justin clearly stated so a few days ago on this forum if not in this thread.

By Sicboy13 on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 08:13 pm: Edit

Don, if you havent guessed yet, I don't know shit, teach me oh great old one

By Sicboy13 on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 08:12 pm: Edit

ex-vendor?

By Don_Walsh on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 08:11 pm: Edit

So it is a single, EX vendor and a single, long repudiated 'test'.

Just the facts, ma'am.

By Sicboy13 on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 08:08 pm: Edit

I meant nothing by it, I am only going by what I read on the BEI site, a couple months ago, I am only curious with an open mind

By Don_Walsh on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 07:39 pm: Edit

What 'vendors'?

What 'tests'?

SC carries it. www.absenta.com carries it. The BG recommends it.

Look, I don't even care for this stuff, but I think your remarks are misleading and unfair.

As you say, you haven't had it.

The only 'test' I know of that reported no thujone was Wormwood's and it is highly suspect (sorry, Wormwood.)

By Mr_Rabid on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 07:32 pm: Edit

My MM 70 looked *exactly* like anti-freeze, but this was about two years back.

By Sicboy13 on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 07:31 pm: Edit

I've never had MM, I did read from some vendors that they do not carry it because tests show none of the "T" word, therefore, not absinthe. I have no opinion, any care to comment?

By Don_Walsh on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 07:21 pm: Edit

For what it is worth:

MM 70 looks glow in the dark in their ill conceived backlit photo ONLY. In reality is just looks medium green, and not at all radioactive.

By Chevalier on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 02:04 pm: Edit

Only one problem, Hob: You can't buy it anymore!!! At least, not the same version ...

By Pikkle on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 02:04 pm: Edit

Mine's sitting at the post office... one week, they leave it at the door, one week I have to sign for it... fuckers... you will have my report by tomorrow night, like it or not (that is my opinion I'm referring to, not the absinthe)

By Lordhobgoblin on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 02:01 pm: Edit

After a load of fucking about by FedEx (including irrate phonecalls by myself every day to FedEx all week) I've finally recieved my Absinthe Old Way.

I definitely like it. At first I thought it was a bit sharp (I tend to prefer absinthe a bit softer) but after a few sips I got used to it. It has that nice 'oily' texture that Sebor has (if you like Sebor then you will definitely like this). It is high in anise and also has quite a bitter undercurrent (which is nice although it is definitely one to drink with sugar) some fennel coming through also and maybe a hint of mint. It has a fairly simple mix of flavours (I like simple clear flavours coming through). It is absolutely nothing whatsoever like Segarra in any way (I find Seggara has too many clashing flavours and that butterscotch flavour in Segarra is IMO odd and out of place).

Is it the best of all the other absinthes available from SC? I would say yes most definitely. Is it worth the money? I would say yes most definitely. Is it as good as Jade's Absinthe Edouard? The answer here would have to be no. But it is very good and it is worth buying.

The colour is great, very very green but without the glow-in-the-dark appearance of Mari Mayans. As for secondary effects, well after only 1 glass you definitely feel them.

In summary, BUY IT!

Hobgoblin

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation