First taste of Old Way

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru February 2002:First taste of Old Way
By Louched_Liver on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 03:37 am: Edit

Brett,

I too think Old Way is pretty darn N.S.ian. I think mebbe it was made by the same company. Or somebody from the same company. Or somebody who likes N.S. a lot. Or somebody who ripped off N.S.
Ya get my drift.

By Pikkle on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 03:02 am: Edit

You go LL... off to live that American dream right not...

By Brett on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 11:45 pm: Edit

Well, after a second taste of "Old Way", I can taste the anise. There is a hint of it that becomes more prominent in the after-taste. I'm now beginning to regret not getting two bottles!

As for N.S., the first glass I had tasted very much like Old Way, possibly because the taste of Old Way had not left my mouth nor my mind. I shall try again.

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 10:15 pm: Edit

In your honor Pikkle-I ordered Ben Hamper's Rivethead Vol I. I hadn't read the original Free Press stuff since it came out. Hope that's what this is. I'm looking forward to another go-round.

By Pikkle on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 01:15 am: Edit

very fucking worth the money... trying to ferry some converts right now... pussies... they're all pussies!!!!

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 12:48 am: Edit

All in all well worth the money!

By Pikkle on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 11:29 pm: Edit

Okay... update... drank four glasses throughout the afternoon (a spider is crawling up my monitor for real now... ) really whacked my ass, not for the faint of heart for sure... took a short siesta on the couch, had some pretty vivid fucking dreams, anything that's on your mind when you crash will perpetuate themselves tenfold when you slumber... so that's it, ready for round two, gotta get the bourbon dilluted a bit and I'll be off...

By Pikkle on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 03:52 pm: Edit

It is not that we are together or separate in our fried sweet cake ways... it is which kind we prefer to be... that is the question.
I'll never be a cruller... ever! Jelly filled, well, maybe...

By Perruche_Verte on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 03:29 pm: Edit

Yes, but are we all the SAME donut, or is each one of us our own donut? This is important.

By Pikkle on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 03:12 pm: Edit

Fourth glass... sipping slowly to boot... wow... fuckin wow... we're all a donut!

By Pikkle on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 01:32 pm: Edit

Yes... I've read that too... quite funny and sad... so is life... three glasses... they're skiing... heh, they're skiing!!!

By Louched_Liver on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 01:11 pm: Edit

Hey Gumby,
Did you read "Naked" by Sedaris? Much better than Barrel Fever.

By Pikkle on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 12:45 pm: Edit

I am... gumby

By Pikkle on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 12:06 pm: Edit

Sedaris is fine... lacks the emotion necessary for good character development but I enjoy his wit... just read "Lummox: Evolution of a Man" by Mr. Magnuson... very good read, especially for all us blue collar types, there is hope... maybe...
Second glass of "Old Way" feeling it, definitely feeling it...
USA Women's team just whooped those homely Finns 5-0...

By Illequipped on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 12:05 pm: Edit

Brett,
I found that mixing it with Sprite increased the anise flavor, (not necessarily a good thing.) With 2 sugar cubes, it had a dry, herbal, slightly bitter taste.

By Louched_Liver on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 11:53 am: Edit

A Sedaris fan!

By Pikkle on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 10:59 am: Edit

OKee... couldn't resist, women's hockey's on and well, got thirsty just watching. Man can those broads shoot!
I don't know who's saying they can't taste anise in this... I can taste it all over. But it's not prominant, well balanced with the fennel most dominant and a slightly minty aftertaste... I did about one part to three, no sugar. I'd say it's the most bitter I've had since Starplescnckayenyyy or what ever that Czech shit was but hell, I like it bitter. There does not seem to be any added sugar and for me, it still doesn't need any. The wormwood is very apparent. The taste (in my configuration) is over all a bit sharp but warm. I'd liken it more towards a less sweet Deva, kind of like Betty's (no. 3?) in a way, not as smooth but very drinkable.
The louche, hell, it's a great louche if you ask me, about a half step below Mari Mayans neon green but it louches in warm water fine. Have yet to sip neat. Can I say anything about the effects yet? No, give me an hour and about three glasses later...

By Pikkle on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 10:11 am: Edit

God bless those boys and girls down at the USPS!
"Yes sir MR. PIKKLE, we've got your olive oil right here!"
Lord Hobby, I had the foresight to order two of these fine looking apertifs so... nyah nyah nyah.
I've yet to sip, being that it's only 1:15 here or there abouts but I did bust the cap open (no leakage from my package.)
What did I get from my first whiff? Soft... soft and warm. Definitely smell the a.absinthium, well balanced I think with what I percieve to be fennel, mint and the slightest of anise... and something else. It smells sweet, somewhere along the lines between a la bleue and a segarra, nothing is too overwhelming in it's bouquet though it is quite an assault of the olfactories, not in a bad way though.
And what does dirty monkey think?
oldmonkey.jpg

By Brett on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 08:38 am: Edit

Well, I'm not the best at describing taste either. I'm sure there is anise in there, that's just not what I tasted. I've had only one glass, so perhaps as I have more my taste will adapt. Perhaps I didn't taste anise because there were so many other flavors in it that I was not used to. With Mari Mayans, at first ALL I tasted was Star Anise, now I can detect other tastes -however faint.

Old Way is definetly on my buy again list, although -yes- the labelled bottles will unfortunately be different.

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 04:07 am: Edit

Yes my package arrived and some absinthe had leaked out onto the polystyrene inner packaging. At first I thought "Oh shit, the bottle's broken" but when I opened it I saw that it was only a small leak from the cap with less than a glass of absinthe gone from the bottle fill-level. Anyway Brett why worry about a slightly leaky bottle cap? The cap isn't air-tight anyway and it's not like you store the bottle on its side. If you're worrying about evaporation well this is very minimal indeed and you'll probably lose more absinthe through the ocassional bit that'll drip down the outside of the bottle neck when you pour yourself a glass.

As for lack of anise in Old Way? Well I tasted plenty of anise in mine, not as strong as Deva of course but as much as most other absinthes. I detected quite a bit of fennel in mine which suits my tastebuds just fine. Although I must admit I am not the best person when it comes to analysing or describing the flavours in different absinthes, I just know what my taste-buds like and my taste-buds like the bottle of Old Way that I received.

I'd buy it again particularly if it DID NOT have a label as I'll bet the commercial production of this product will not be as good as what I have in my unlabelled bottle. I just wish I'd ordered more than 1 bottle.

Hobgoblin

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 03:05 am: Edit

Put a cork in it.

Or change bottles.

Why not? It's unlabelled.

By Brett on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 12:51 am: Edit

My thoughts on Old Way. (I'm still just an amateur). The bottle looks like someone de-labelled a Luxardo Anisette bottle.

The color/louche: Translucent green to apple green. This means nothing.

The smell: what is that? A trace of mint, can't really smell any anise. Very "vegetably" for lack of a better term. Got stronger with adding water, I could smell it from 6 inches away.

The taste: As above, what is that? Can't detect any anise, that trace of mint is not really there. Very floral/planty/vegetably, for lack of better term.

Overall: Different. I like it. Its unique,a departure from the traditional star anise flavor, although the lack of anise is somewhat distrubing as is that not what absinthe is based on. Can anyone help describe this smell/taste I get? I'd buy it again, but only if it came with a label :)

One problem -my cap has a small slit near the top, maybe five milimeters long by half a milimeter wide. I can stick the pin from a small-ish clothes pin through. Spillage -not a problem, as it came here from Spain with out leaking. Degradation/rancidity/alcohol evaporation? Will this be a problem? The slit is near the top, so if I screw the cap on real tight, there may be no problem. What alternatives to the cap do I have?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation