Chrysippvs' review of Absinthe Old Way

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru February 2002:Chrysippvs' review of Absinthe Old Way
By Don_Walsh on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 06:32 am: Edit

Bottle to bottle variation is an indication of incompetence, or at least a lack of giving a damn.

It is easy to avoid. But few bother. Don't ask for advice as to technique. If you are a distiller and can't figure this out -- you aren't a distiller.

By Arj on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 06:24 am: Edit

My Old Way also had a strong louche. It was much improved with sugar, having a too bitter taste on its own, and I found it was better with more water than I usually use (1:1). The wormwood overpowered the other herbs. It was better than most Spanish, but not as good at Segarra.

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 01:24 pm: Edit

It would be my guess that this stuff is essentially home brew that SC sold as a promo, thus there could be a lot of variation per bottle.

By Pikkle on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 12:06 pm: Edit

I didn't get the citrus at all and I thought the fennel was way more predominant that the anise... and I liked it just fine sans sugar but I'm weird like that too...

By Zman7 on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 10:38 am: Edit

I wonder if there is any differences between the bottles of Old Way. Mine was pretty much as describe below, except that mine had a very strong louche and I noted hints of mint along with the citrous/sugar overtones. As I mentioned before It smells similar to Versinthe to me.

By Chrysippvs on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 09:52 pm: Edit

Absinthe Old Way - 1 liter - no label - ~50%-55% alcohol by volume - Spanish

The color is very green, and probably not natural (although this color can be achieved, it certainly would not be traditional). Not quite as electric as Mari Mayans, it reminds me a lemon-lime kool aid, not very appealing to the eye in my opinion. It is in a clear bottle and there has been no deterioration in color moreso indicating artificial coloring.

The nose is very much of absinthium and anise. It is not pungent, and star anise does not seem to be the predominate factor in the aroma. I tend to smell anise and absinthium, with a hint of that trademarked lemon/citrus smell that I have come to associated with several Spanish Absinthes. It is, however, somewhat thin which I would attribute to the lack and/or imbalance the herbs (not) involved in production. Is it distilled? I think so as it does not have the oily character of Deva for instance.

The flavor is predominantly absinthium with anise and citrus in the background. It is rather simple, a bit too bitter in the wrong way (although admittedly I tried it sans sucre). It is thin on the palate, and the louche is rather week, again indicating a lack of herbal content. If Deva or Mari Mayans reveal an overuse of Absinthium, "Old Way" reveals what the overuse of Absinthium is like. Despite this bitterness there is a sweetness that I can only attribute to sugar added in production which is not surprising, but I am unsure.

All in all, it is something neat to add to the collection. A bit above many Spanish, but below Segarra in flavor. La Bleues are certainly superior and is still of a radically different lineage than that of vintages. Atleast the Spanish are tinkering with their tradition.

In similar news I am still wondering if this is the bootlegged product I have heard about from several sources called Oliva and "el verde" I have been unable to trace the producer or obtain a sample but I have my reasons for believing that this product and oliva are one in the same product. At any rate I will continue to pursue this issue and report back when I discover something.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation