Is this for real?

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru February 2002:Is this for real?
By Absinthespoon on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 06:28 pm: Edit

He sent me a broken glass once, and he did send a replacement, so he does in fact deliver. His descriptions are sometimes a little fanciful. I don't think $50 is outrageous for a bottle of bad absinthe on eBay- many buyers on eBay are willing to pay inflated prices on items like this. No one is forcing anyone to bid; if they bid, it's worth it to them.

By _Blackjack on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 05:46 pm: Edit

The seller sells a bunch of questionably absinthe-related items, be it later pastis goods or perfume fountains, and pushed the absinthe angle. He does appear to deliver, however. A profiteer, to be sure, but not a thief...

Looking at his past auctions, it seems the PK has gone for upwards of $80 before.

By Drbeer on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 04:05 pm: Edit

I did not even consider bidding. What I meant by the "for real" was more in the line of, is he serious about that price? Then because of the price I was curious if he was even legitimate.

By _Blackjack on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 03:46 pm: Edit

I guess that depends on what you mean by "for real". Pere Kermann's is a real (modern) French product which is, according to the manufacturer, anyawy, made with a. absinthium. It is almost certainly not worth $65, however. Ted's review of PK in the guide is less than favorable (he said it's better than Hill's), but, while the seller seems prone to sell anything with a spigot as an absinthe fountain, none of his feedback indicates he would outright rip you off.

In short, if you won the auction, you'd end up paying too much for a real bottle of bad absinthe.

By Drbeer on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 11:22 pm: Edit

Didn't think so. thanks for the heads up!

By Chrysippvs on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 11:06 pm: Edit

nope.

By Drbeer on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 10:45 pm: Edit

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1074810757

Is this legitimate and worth anything?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation