Pere Kermann's found sold commercially in Australia (I have no idea if this is unusual or not but I'm telling you about it anyway...)

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru February 2002:Pere Kermann's found sold commercially in Australia (I have no idea if this is unusual or not but I'm telling you about it anyway...)
By Petermarc on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 03:07 pm: Edit

no, at the bottom of the front, silver label it lists one of the ingredients as 'essence de badiane 2.2%' always has in the two years i have been buying it....

By Wolfgang on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 08:01 am: Edit

Peter : a small white label at the bottom of the nice silvery label ?

Maybe, It`s just that a year ago they told me they had to change something about the labelling to comply to SAQ requirements... Maybe they did on all their bottles, maybe that`s something else, don`t know.

By Baz on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 07:14 am: Edit

sicboy-
So what you are saying is that you like logan? I don't understand...

By Petermarc on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 06:55 am: Edit

actually, that is on their label in france, too...so i suppose it has always been there...i have seen it on other high-end pastis labels in france...

By Wolfgang on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 05:48 am: Edit

Some country have very strict law about food additives, coloring, alcohol and all... Like here in Quebec, everything that is to be sold by the SAQ is fully tested in their lab. If the manufacturer is trying to fool the customer, they will know. No surprise they rejected Hill's. Versinthe also had some trouble and had to change the label because the SAQ detected that not everything is distilled in their product... They add badiane oil. They had to write it on the label to comply with the SAQ requirement ... Everytime I see this little added label with "badiane oil 2.2%" on it it makes me laugh. It's like "haha gotcha! you cheat and we know about it!" But at least they can sell it and it's not that bad, I still have a glass with lot's of water about once every two-three weeks.

By Sicboy13 on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 07:44 pm: Edit

If the cheap Czech crap be named "Logan", the review is this....Take one part Windex, add two parts Ny-Quil, & dash with poor customer service. Garnish and serve in a shit rinsed rocks glass.

By Mr_Carfax on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 07:11 pm: Edit

Yeah, I came across them just recently too.....

There is also a very cheap and nasty Czech absinth that has not been reviewed on the forum yet, popping up in some Sydney bars- it is literally undrinkable, and at about $60AUS for 500mL, that is one expensive Windex.

And Don is right- it is sneaking through- I can assure you those responsible are not doing it legally....

"but alas they informed me, yes they knew of the Spanish brands I mentioned, but they were illegal, "

....they are, but it isn't because of the wormwood or thujone....there is a lot to be said for using chlorophyll to colour your absinthe as opposed to using certain colouring agents.

Regardless as to whether the Australian situation gets sorted out in a timely fashion, there are certain absinthes which will never appear on our local market commercially without some reformulation- and we are too small a market for that to happen.

By Miss_Thing on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 11:21 pm: Edit

Thanks Don & Ted, it's certainly not a brand I would buy again and insipid is a very apt description, just nice to have tasted it for comparison's sake and the buyers guide lists it as one of those products in the grey area between The cheap Czech crap and the cheap Spanish stuff which is classifiable as genuine Absinthe if still not particularly fabulous. Having never tasted the ~worst~ I can only aspire...

It does work out considerably cheaper to order from SC a better brand (including shipping), but it's that immediate availability thing that so many US suppliers slap on the extra $, can only be expected. And even this quality absinthe is bearable AFAIAC, I now like the general taste of Absinthe-ish anise blends (as opposed to overwhelming sickly licorice or anise flavours of Galliano and Ouzo type spirits) I'd prefer even this stuff to alot of other spirits.

~grin~

By Tabreaux on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 07:44 am: Edit

It doesn't taste 'bad', simply because it is insipid. Save your money.

By Don_Walsh on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 07:33 am: Edit

It is made in La Havre (Le Havre?) and it is a little uncertain as to whether or not the smarmy but standard (at that time) labeling about plantes des absinthe means anything one way or the other.

$115 Australian dollar is about $56 US; only those who have tasted this can comment on the price/performance ratio. I can't.

Carfax can probably tell you what else has made it in (or slipped through).

Cheers

Don

By Miss_Thing on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 12:26 am: Edit

Hey peoples,

I've been away for some time elsewheres, but I just over the weekend went to a party where we took a bottle of Mari Mayans to share around & get rid of, and to my surprise one of the folks who had a taste mentioned they'd actually seen Absinthe *on the shelves* in a well known Italian Import Grocer's not far from where the party was held.

So like a good little Absinthe fanatic, and one poor enough not to have cash for a decent shipment from SC any time in the near future, I investigated this wild claim ASAP.

With much hope and crossing of fingers I scoped the place out, and there was a veritable treasure trove of bizarre an obscure foreign liqueurs, many of them old and dusty, including some weird Czeck stuff beginning with P (Pelinq-something or other???) that remember reading about in this forum some time ago.

And then, a bright green mouthwash coloured liquid stood out on the shelf, emblazoned with the moderately tasteful but somewhat suspicion-arousing label of "Absinthe"... my source was correct, this place did indeed have Absinthe on the shelves, in broad daylight, Extrait de Plantes d'Absinthe printed clearly on the label!

Of course, this led me to believe there was no way in hell there could be any thujone in the stuff if it was being sold commercially, especially if made in France. Not having a portable Net connection with me, I was unable to check here at Sepulchritude as to the quality of the beverage. Still, at about $115 Australian for a litre, it sure as hell wasn't cheap. And I wans't going to pay that much for something I was unsure of, so I bought a $30 200cl bottle just for posterity so even if it was utter crap I'd still have tasted it.

Pere Karmann's 200cl bottle

So here I am, raving to you about this surprising experience. I have no idea how available this stuff is elsewhere, but with the Aussie import laws it was a surprise to find it at all.

There were no other brands of Absinthe or Absenta to be seen. I asked the shop assistant in attendance if they could order specific brands (crossing my fingers that they had some dodgy way of getting Absinthe through large container loads of Olive Oil or something) but alas they informed me, yes they knew of the Spanish brands I mentioned, but they were illegal, sorry. Laughable really, the stuff which doesn't say a thing about "Absinthe" on the label isn't allowed in yet something plastered with the words is on the shelves in broad daylight.

Oh well.

Still, it's nothing fancy and certainly milder in taste than Mari Mayans, I've only tasted that, Deva and Absenta. Gimme Deva any day, but this will fill the hole for the time being. And good to know it can be got local at any time. At 60% it's not phenomenally *disgustingly* expensive compared to prices inc shipping from overseas. But damn, I do wish they could ship the real stuff.

It is worth noting on the brand guide that this stuff is available in Australia, and I've included the image so you have a copy of the the smaller bottle (only saw the large on in the buyer's guide).

Miss Thing

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation