Reverse osmosis???

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru February 2002:Reverse osmosis???
By Pikkle on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 02:31 pm: Edit

Póg mo thóin!

By Pikkle on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 02:19 pm: Edit

hence the saying...

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 01:49 pm: Edit

Pikkle,

A llama is a sort of goaty thing and you could get a few sacks of good soft wool of one of those.

As for the types waltzing around my countryside weel there ain't much wool to be had from the odd goatie beard.

Hobgoblin

By Tavarua on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 02:55 pm: Edit

The Head Shops around these parts used to fill dime bags with tobaccy and rest the bags on the bowl piece of bongs. Right above that would be a sign, for tobacco smoking only. That shit cracks me up.

By Tavarua on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 02:54 pm: Edit

double

By Destiny on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 02:50 pm: Edit

>> ... "pipes for smoking non-tobacco products "

Don't you read the signs in the display cases? They are for tobacco use only!

:-)

By Pikkle on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 02:30 pm: Edit

I'm sure it speaks of the type waltzing around your countryside...

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 10:22 am: Edit

Pikkle,

That all depends on the type of goat used.

Hobgoblin

By Pikkle on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 09:05 am: Edit

Head shops are a staple in Detroit... they sell a wide variety of glass dicks, butane torches and screens... then again you can find any of these items at just about every gas station and liquor store in the city...

Is doiligh olann a bhaint de ghabhar

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 08:48 am: Edit

Heiko,

Ah so that is what a head shop is. We do have a few these. There is one of these in East London that sells sodium lights, hrydroponic growing kits and a whole variety of cannabis seeds. Of course they inform people who buy the seeds that they are not selling them for people to grow ;-) because of course to do such a thing is illegal and that the seeds are bought by people who have an interest in the seeds alone and have no intention of growing them. The sodium lights are ot course for people interested in growing exotic tropical plants such as orchids ;-)

Hobgoblin

By Mr_Rabid on Saturday, February 23, 2002 - 03:34 pm: Edit

In the US you can get these things at head shops:

Jimi Hendrix posters
Black lights
incense
beaded curtains
nitrous oxide
pipes for smoking non-tobacco products

By Heiko on Saturday, February 23, 2002 - 03:25 pm: Edit

Hobgoblin,

a headshop is for the head, not selling heads.
You have at least two of them in the UK
www.headshop-online.co.uk
www.avalonheadshop.co.uk

A search in google gave me about 1000 German sites, only very few from other countries. However I don't think the name originated in Germany.

By Sicboy13 on Saturday, February 23, 2002 - 12:07 pm: Edit

I was joking,but if one can really buy crack in creme form,LEGALLY mind you... the prophecy is near complete...Now when the Cub's win the series, TOTAL APOCALYPTICAL DESTRUCTION!!!!!! MMMWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAHAA!

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, February 23, 2002 - 12:03 pm: Edit

Heiko,

Pardon my ignorance but what is a 'head shop'? I don't think we have such shops in the UK. Anyway I'm perfectly happy with my own head and have no need to buy another one.

Hobgoblin

By Larsbogart on Saturday, February 23, 2002 - 09:26 am: Edit

Some stores do carry crack. Ive seen it many times. Its a different variety than the street version. It comes in a tube and is called Crack Creme. I havent tried it, but i did purchase some for a friend. I got right through the airport with it and out of the country. No customs agents banging down my door either. Whats all the fuss about?
larsbogart

By Sicboy13 on Saturday, February 23, 2002 - 12:32 am: Edit

I grow crack on my window sill, the sunlight hits just right....also, look for my highly sought after crack seeds soon for sale on eBay, after, of course, my foam peanut sale goes thru

By Dr_Ordinaire on Friday, February 22, 2002 - 05:14 pm: Edit

I tell you, no wonder the Amish give me the finger...

Cannabis? I was talking about regular water...the kind you DRINK... RO as in eliminating chlorine, fluoride, lead, etc...

Next thing you are going to start discussing HPS, hydroponics, stuff that even here, in Uruguay, is illegal...

By Mr_Rabid on Friday, February 22, 2002 - 12:58 pm: Edit

The thing to do there would be to make a nice, large orchid growing setup in your attic. For real, I mean.

Grow the...other plants... in your basement. Explainable equipment purchase and power use.

By Heiko on Friday, February 22, 2002 - 08:13 am: Edit

"Officer, I swear I need the osmosis device, the high tech fertilizer and the sodium lamps for my precious orchids! Really!"

;-)

By Dr_Ordinaire on Friday, February 22, 2002 - 06:37 am: Edit

Petermarc, the "boat" units are very expensive, since they have to incorporate a pump.

Home units are cheap. I installed one at home years ago, it was like 250 bucks.

Check E-bay for "reverse osmosis".

By Petermarc on Friday, February 22, 2002 - 05:40 am: Edit

go to a boat-shop...any decent one will have a small unit (or a big one) for making drinking/showering water out of sea-water for use on sailboats and cruisers...

By Heiko on Friday, February 22, 2002 - 05:09 am: Edit

"And where the fuck do you go to buy reverse osmosis water?"

In the headshop I had been a regular customer some years ago they sold reverse osmosis systems to connect to your tap. The water wasn't supposed to be as perfect as distilled water, but it must be neutral enough to mix a perfect nutrition solution for precious plants.

That would underline what Don says: it's not as good as distillation, but much cheaper when you don't need a perfect distillation (or as a pre-distillation device)

By Lordhobgoblin on Friday, February 22, 2002 - 02:09 am: Edit

And where the fuck do you go to buy reverse osmosis water?

By Themagicman on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 01:43 pm: Edit

When keeping some fish you should use reverse osmosis water like when keeping discus and some other south American Cichlids...

By Lordhobgoblin on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 01:00 pm: Edit

I used to work for an Italian based firm and the only reverse osmosis machinery I've personally ever seen was in Tomato factories in Northern Italy where they use it to concentrate tomato juice without the use of excessive heat to produce passata. There are loads of tomato factories in Italy but there are only half a dozen of these that have invested in this technology as it is far from cheap.

Hobgoblin

By Wolfgang on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 12:42 pm: Edit

Does his friend is growing grapes on the Moon ? ;-)

By Dr_Ordinaire on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 12:12 pm: Edit

My oh my, seems that Dr. O's friend was into something...

Looks that RO was used to remove extra H2O from grape juice... could it be tweaked to remove C2H5OH?

By Wolfgang on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 11:59 am: Edit

Only the wealthy chateaux can afford the required piece of equipment. They use it in some bad years when the grapes are too full of water (like when there`s a non stopping rain during the harvest). That removes some water, hence the more concentrated results.

By Petermarc on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 11:46 am: Edit

actually, many wineries, the australians in particular, but also, californian, and yes, several well known bordeaux chateaux (but no one's saying who) are running their wine through reverse osmosis systems to enhance the flavor of the wine...i don't know how this works, maybe david can explain...

By Dr_Ordinaire on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 11:23 am: Edit

"Probably not wine but wine lees, dregs. "

It could be wine that is not up to par...

In any case, short of the 2 dollar/liter ethanol I'm getting in Uruguay, this seems a pretty good deal... LOL

J

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 10:40 am: Edit

Probably not wine but wine lees, dregs.

"Pure"? Probably not. Probably still needs distillation. Probably high methanol and congeners.

An osmotic system would have the advantage of not requiring energy.

And the centrifuge is to seperate the liquids from the solids. Sediment and the bentonite they use for 'fining' the wine.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 10:29 am: Edit

I'm copying here an email I received from Dr. O. I have no idea what's he talking about. Reverse osmosis is a great way to have pure water, but ethanol? Any chemists out there have any input?

"I forgot to tell you. I spoke with ******, who met up with a guy who works at a winery. He is going to provide ****** with FIVE GALLONS of reverse osmosis produced grape alcohol!

They appearantly have a centrifuge device that forces the wine through a reverse osmosis system producing pure alcohol. Heh, heh."

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation