Mmmm...narcotic liquer

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru March 2002:Mmmm...narcotic liquer
By Brett on Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 01:08 am: Edit

I think its just odd that a drink with "coca leaf extract" -nowhere on the bottle does it say it does not contain cocaine (althought I'm sure it doesn't)- is so eagerly accepted, yet God forbid absinthe is scorned.

By Heiko on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 02:53 am: Edit

"There are no cocaine alkaloids in modern Coca Cola."

I didn't want to imply that - but nevertheless coca cola contains "extract of coca leaves". I really don't think this new energy drink will contain any cocaine alkaloids, so what I wanted to say was: the new drink will probably contain the same stuff they put into coca cola, nothing more. It will probably be exactly the same stuff, because it's already being produced en masse.

By Timk on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 01:54 am: Edit

it is just extract as far as I know, they import it from a company in germany

By Don_Walsh on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 12:09 am: Edit

I doubt that they import leaves, probably just extract.

By Destiny on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 02:17 pm: Edit

I once heard that the Coca Cola company was the only entity allowed to import coca leaves into the U.S. (except the military, of course).

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 02:13 pm: Edit

In fact the cocaine and ecgonine removed from coca leaf extract are the sole source of pharmaceutical cocaine (the ecgonines are processed into cocaine by the Merck process. There are 4 stereoisomers, only one of which is of use.

The coca shrub also grows in Java and/or Kalimantan but produces none of the useful isomers.

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 02:04 pm: Edit

Well, to be more specific, Coca Cola contains (among many other things) what is left when the cocaine and ecgonine alkaloids are removed from coca leaf extract.

There are no cocaine alkaloids in modern Coca Cola.

By Heiko on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 11:14 am: Edit

Coca Cola contains coca leaf extract since one hundred years (they only quit enriching it with cocaine long time ago)

There's only about 4% of cocaine hydrochlorid in coca leaves and it's not soluble in water (that's why it's so expensive...).
In Peru you can buy the leaves at every corner, everybody there chews them with chalk or ashes (releases the cocaine) and "Mate de Coca" is their national drink, it's sold totally legally.
A friend of mine brought a big box of Zurit Mate de Coca with him from Peru, he openly declared it at the customs - they told him it was no problem.

Unfortunately you cannot buy the leaves anywhere outside of South America, although chewing the leaves is not at all dangerous, let alone drinking a tea made from the leaves. Healthier than coffee, I guess...

By Brett on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 10:51 am: Edit

There's this stuff in BC now from the Netherlands -don't know where else its available- called Agwa X. It's a liquer of guarana, ginseng and get this "coca leaf extract."

WTF is this? Absinthe, a drink that contains a harmless herbal ingredient found in sage can't be sold, but you can sell a drink containing "coca leaf extract"??

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation