I've ordered my first absinthe!!! One question...

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru February 2002:I've ordered my first absinthe!!! One question...
By Perruche_Verte on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 08:48 pm: Edit

Do check Pier 1. Their selection varies, though. If you don't find what you need and you don't mind paying a little more, there are some fancy Portuguese glass bottles with spigots that are quite attractive:

http://www.cybercucina.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/ccdocs/products/2064GRP.html?L+cybercucina+gwvd9632+1016531357

You will just need a stand to elevate it. I use a couple of glass bricks, relics of my city's architectural past.

By Robman on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 03:57 pm: Edit

I'll have to look into that Pier 1 apparatus - it sounds like it may do the trick. I think it might creep my wife out if I'm constructing something with lab equipment - I would like to keep everything household-friendly. I might use the sports bottle idea for my first try - sounds very ecomical and will allow watching the louche - I am SO looking forward to that.

I will most likely have my neighbor over for my first taste - he brought the subject to mind several months ago when he asked if it was legal in Romania (he had the Romanians and Czecks confused) and I got a mini bottle for him as well. His question was the reason I started looking for information on the web - I had thought it was illegal worldwide before he asked me that.

Thanks for your suggestions.

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 02:24 pm: Edit

Greetings. As you are the sort of fellow who reads SA discerningly, i.e., you didn't swallow Arnold's article whole, maybe you know where you can law your hands on modest chemical apparatus?

A burette or anything similar (like a chromatography column) with a stockcock at the bottom would make a fine drip.

Or anything with a bottom outlet that can attach to tubing and then use a pinch clamp to control the flow -- quite a number of these are finely adjustable. An aspirator bottle od 1 L or larger will have a bottom (side) drain or faucet.

I'd recommend that you use new glassware so as to avoid contamination with previous unknown contents, and use very inert plastic tubing rather than rubber to avoid picking up any off tastes. Food grade teflon PTFE would be best.

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 02:20 pm: Edit

A plastic sport bottle works, but you have to hold it and gave into your glass as the magic of the louche occurs.
Whick you'll wanna do anyway.
Or go to Pier 1 and buy one of their square glass rigs w/cork top and spigot. $25.

By Robman on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 02:13 pm: Edit

First of all, I would like to thank the administrator and the forum conversants - I have learned a great deal since finding this forum, and have overcome my fear of indulging in La Fee Verte. My first exposure to absinthe was the Scientific American article in '89, but that article seemed to focus on the darker side of the spirit. However, after reading numerous posts on this board and reading current material on the subject, it seems that that article was relying on the studies that were done at the turn of the century, which were most likely not "scientific" by the contemporary meaning of the word.

Having made the decision to try absinthe, my next order of business was to talk to my wife, who, by the way, is Romanian. I was positive it would be a huge problem, but it seems that her father made wormwood wine in Romania (many Romanians brew their own liquor and wine) and she immediatley recognized my description of wormwood.

Now came the time to make the decision as to where to procure a bottle. I contacted Betty, and she was extremely helpful and communicative, but those prices! For less than I would have paid for one bottle of Deva from her, I ordered a bottle of Deva 50, N.S. 70, an absinthe glass and spoon, and a several miniatures from SC. I really wanted to try some of the Swiss stuff, but from what I have read and been told, Deva and N.S. are as good a selection for a first-timer as any, and I was able to get the glass and spoon very inexpensively.

Now on to my question - I would prefer not to drip tap water in my first ever glass of absinthe, nor do I want to invest in an antique fountain, so I was wondering if anyone has an idea to rig up a fountain so I can drip iced spring water and do this the right way. My first idea was a cooler with a nozzle, but it would be hard to control the flow of water with that plastic lever. Ideas?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation