New La Bleue source? (cont.)

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru February 2002:New La Bleue source? (cont.)
By Sicboy13 on Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 02:44 pm: Edit

starlights, LL, starlights.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 11:42 am: Edit

Damn! I just lost a full page post about "woody" tastes... there it is again, short version...

3 kind of taste/smell that could be described as "woody"...

1-Overcooked : taste/smell of burned peanut oil. Sometimes described as woody. Bad. can be more dificult to detect in a naturally colored absinthe but very easy to detect in a blanche. Cause: distillation pushed too far and/or made too fast.

2-wrongly processed : Taste smell like wet straw under the sun. Can also be too bitter if someone use more than 30-35g/L. It's possible to make some good absinthe that way but there's a low limit on the quantity of wormwood you can use and the taste is not perfect.

3- musky and sexy : Yumm! when properly processed, you get rid of the bad things and only keep the nice one. How can I describe it with words ? Musky, that is. More wormwood can be used without making it too bitter. (Moonman did his #5 with 50g/L and it's still possible to enjoy it straight or without sugar). Sugar is an option but usually makes for a better drink.

note that I'm not 100% satisfied with those descriptions... It's difficult to "dance about architecture"... I'm open to constructive criticism form knowledgable forumits.

By Louched_Liver on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 07:45 pm: Edit

Is this the "woody" characteristic that wormwood is often described with?

I believe so.

It seems like this latest batch of his has a somewhat different aroma and taste than the first batch of Wolvie as described by LL "Clean, not alcoholic, hint of "candy", like those red and white spiraled Brachs peppermints."

Maybe not so much peppermint, as candycane. Dogboy got the same thing yesterday in my reup batch.
That make more sense?

Striving,
LL

By Elbongo on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 07:35 pm: Edit

Got my Wolvie order in today and I too must say there is a taste and smell reminiscent of castor oil (or clown makeup).

I am still a newbie to absinthe so help me out. Is this the "woody" characteristic that wormwood is often described with?

It seems like this latest batch of his has a somewhat different aroma and taste than the first batch of Wolvie as described by LL "Clean, not alcoholic, hint of "candy", like those red and white spiraled Brachs peppermints."

Definitely smells and tastes different than the Deva or Serpis I've tried.

By Destiny on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 11:48 am: Edit

Very interesting. I wish I knew if the taste was wormwood. Now I'm curious to try the Green for a comparison. I need an herbal "scratch and sniff" card so that I know what I'm tasting.

Thanks for the encouragement, Morrigan and Petermarc. I was starting to feel like Anatomist was right about me being a rube.

>;-)

By _Blackjack on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 11:24 am: Edit

Heh. My girl commented that there was something in Wolvie's La Bleue (pleasantly) remincent of her grandmother's old lipstick. The smell/taste she's detecting is that of wormwood, but, I'll be damned if it doesn't resemble that of old castor oil, which is what gives old makeup it's funk. I can't for the life of me figure out why, tho, since there aren't any particularly similar chemicals in the two plants as near as I can tell.

mmm...ricin...

By Admin on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 11:10 am: Edit

pray continue ...

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation