NOTICE: instituting archiving

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru February 2002:NOTICE: instituting archiving
By Admin on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 12:31 pm: Edit

That would be interesting ... but I currently don't have a cd burner.

I will eventually will probably offer something of the sort for those who want it.

By Timk on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 12:23 pm: Edit

how about a complete forum posts ever cd?

By Admin on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 12:20 pm: Edit

currently there is!

admittedly, more than a few threads were corrupted during maintenance. gar.

take advantage while you can!

By Timk on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 12:06 pm: Edit

do you keep a complete archive dating back to the beginning of the forum?

By Admin on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 12:03 pm: Edit

we tried this a long time ago, with bad results, but I think they fixed the bug that made it fucky.

so, in order to trim my bandwidth we are going to try to institute the automatic archiving procedures. I tested it and it looks like this is how it will work:

On the 50th post (this is my arbitrary limit) the board will automatically archive the first 45 posts, leaving the latest 5. The only downside to this I see is that it archives the original post, but that is available by clicking on the "archive thru bla blah blah" at the top of the thread.

This will greatly reduce the bandwidth uses and allow long threads to continue indefinately, until eventually it is permanently archived by me and then pruned.

On pruning ... very soon the oldest archive topic will be going bye bye. I will be downloading an html version of it, but it will be too large to distribute. I apologize for not being able to keep this stuff online indefinately, but it's just not feasible.

thanks for your support!!!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation