Archive through February 20, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru February 2002:Where to get an absinthe fountain?:Archive through February 20, 2002
By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 08:40 pm: Edit

Chances are that is the only plating I will be able to get my hands on.

By Etienne on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 08:29 pm: Edit

I'm interested... stainless (or nickle) would be cool.

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 07:33 pm: Edit

No, it is not one made by the pontarlier museum and will probably end up being cheaper than theirs, this all depending on if I get more than 10 or so...

By Destiny on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 07:27 pm: Edit

Wow, that's really nice. A stainless finish would be excellent.

By Etienne on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 06:45 pm: Edit

Looks pretty good. It's not one of the fountains sold by the Pontarlier museum?

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 06:16 pm: Edit

Here is the one I am hoping to get a few of...anyone interested in getting one contact me at Chrysippvs@aol.com

As for price I am not sure, I will let everyone know when I find out for sure:

fountain

this particular absinthe item has shown up but I have finally been able to trace it back to the source. It is nice, I would perfer a stainless finish myself (too gawdy for my tastes) but very similar to the originals...

thoughts?

By Drbeer on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 05:59 pm: Edit

ewww that is just ugly

By Louched_Liver on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 05:49 pm: Edit

I'd play T-ball off it blindfolded. It's buttass ugly. Even if it is Xmasy green.

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 05:32 pm: Edit

no, that thing is not up to my standards...I would put some flowers in it for my porch or something...

By Mvario on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 05:05 pm: Edit

This one???

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1075789630

By Chrysippvs on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 11:05 pm: Edit

well I will be sending off for the first one monday so I will know for sure if they meet my standards.

By Drbeer on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 10:38 pm: Edit

That would be awesome for those of us who lack the cash needed to buy a genuine one.

By Chrysippvs on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 05:52 pm: Edit

I may have access to some replica absinthe fountains in the near future...I am working out the details now...

No exact word on price or if it will even work out but keep ye fingers crossed.

By Timk on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 05:18 pm: Edit

unless the plating came off, and it wasnt white metal :P

By Petermarc on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 04:39 pm: Edit

the glass, the spigot, size...all correct, sir...most absinthe/pastis fountains look like other ones and taller, you will notice that it is not pictured with the glass under the spigot...not foufy, like this one(the glass)...also, i have never seen a real fountain that was gold colored...

By Mvario on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 03:53 pm: Edit

I'm still newbie rank so...

How do you tell? Do you just have a lot of experience or are there things to look for (the glass? the spigot? size?)?

By Petermarc on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 03:33 pm: Edit

perfume/alcohol...not for water...

By Mvario on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 03:31 pm: Edit

A new fountain on ebay. Cute lil' feller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1072586549

By Mvario on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 03:33 pm: Edit

Memphis? Cool, I was there for about 8 months a coupl of years ago. Like it a lot.

Do you know Elvis? (just KIDDING!)

By Auntieminda on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 10:31 am: Edit

I went to school in Mississippi ya'll. I'm actually in Memphis, TN, now. I work for the library here. And might ah say that in the whole system of 23 branch libraries here in the Memphis/Shelby County area, there is only one book on Absinthe...currently it's checked out to me...hee hee...Anyhoo, I'm all for a mid-continent drift-together, since I doubt I'll be able to do the NY festival of absinthe orgy-ness.

Yours in Southerly Love,
Auntie M

By Petermarc on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 09:09 am: Edit

how about lynchburg?

By Baz on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 08:43 am: Edit

auntie, we should have a mid-continental get together I think. One of the forum members is from memphis, I'm in kentucky, you in Miss., I'm sure there are others! We could meet in memphis or nashville or something and drink too much as a group. Sigh, I like to drink too much. I should do it more often.

By Auntieminda on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 08:31 am: Edit

Chrysippvs,

I took my B.A. in English at Mississippi University for Women in Columbus, Mississippi.

Smiles,
Auntie M

By Chrysippvs on Friday, February 08, 2002 - 05:39 am: Edit

Mississippi?

Where at?

By Auntieminda on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 10:49 pm: Edit

KO...what about this....
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1510063135

I took one look at this, and said, I'm sure Vince can make this, make it better, in fact. (Vince teaches ceramics at the University I attended in Mississippi).

--Auntie M (getting back to the pottery angle)

By Sarcosis on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 05:13 pm: Edit

Being the first time to try absinthe tonight.
I highly see the need for the classic spoon
and also some sort of good pooring container.

Keep them coming I am sure i will be getting some type after i get back from my ski trip to Durango CO.

Anyone in that area. email me.

By Mvario on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 05:12 pm: Edit

Tavarua, you're fuckin cracking me up!

By Pikkle on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 05:11 pm: Edit

OH yeah, I got one of those too!

By Kali23 on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 04:56 pm: Edit

Found this at Pier One ($25)
1,Bottle with spigot

By Petermarc on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 03:19 pm: Edit

http://cgi.ebay.fr/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1510125207

it is a pastis fountain, the start price is outrageous(and it has a reserve price!), and when i tried to explain that to the seller, he got all self-righteous and started to lecture me about 'hubert' louis pernod...sigh

By Tavarua on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 03:18 pm: Edit

That is a pretty nice vodka fountain. But come on, a fucking vodka fountain. Who is sitting there saying, "jeeze, I sure love vodka, but these half-gallon bottles just aren't enough for one sitting. I really wish I could find a way to keep a few gallons in one convenient location."

By Chevalier on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 03:12 pm: Edit

Believe it or not, a department store ("Almacenes Paris") here in Santiago, Chile is selling some bottles just like item #1071355592, except in clear glass with cork stoppers and gold-colored spigots (metal of some kind). About $17.50.

The store is also selling spigot bottles (clear glass) that look eerily like the genie bottle from "I Dream of Jeannie". Pretty nice, actually. I bought one and found a base (made in Thailand and carved to look like a lotus) in order to raise its height. Works like a charm!

By Mvario on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 02:43 pm: Edit

some more ebay niceties

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1071355592

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2001496870

By Chevalier on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 02:24 pm: Edit

More than one of us has rued the fact that 19th century serving spoons are much more decorative (and arguably more attractive) than absinthe spoons.

The same applies to 19th century coffee servers and absinthe fountains. Have you ever seen an antique absinthe fountain as ornate as this coffee urn?

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1511621518

By Chevalier on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 02:06 pm: Edit

Here's another one, Sarcosis. A different design, but still Art Deco. Odd handles!

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1071339845

By Sarcosis on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 02:02 pm: Edit

That one is not too bad.
I feel i should get some sort of fountain.
When i have my Condo/house warming party
i would like to have something to drip the water into the absinthe.

By Chevalier on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 01:50 pm: Edit

Back on my "alternative fountain" soapbox. There a chrome Art Deco / Streamline Moderne coffee urn on eBay right now that would serve as a nice "absinthe fountain". It's in great shape, too. Just needs to be elevated somewhat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1069969368

By Wolfgang on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 06:57 am: Edit

I saw something similar in an expensive shop here and the cost was around 20 can$ .

I was about to buy it but finally I didn`t. It`s too ugly I agree. Instead I bough a cute little 16oz carafe which is very light and pour very well.

By Baz on Thursday, February 07, 2002 - 06:20 am: Edit

I already have one of those! It's so ugly, though. Bought it five years ago to make a rum pot with.

By Tavarua on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 02:22 pm: Edit

Motherbitch!!!! The line to get a glass would be longer than the line for the pisser.

By Chevalier on Wednesday, February 06, 2002 - 12:25 pm: Edit

A monster-sized fountain that could serve for "an underground situation that is very clandestine at the moment."

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2001355516

By Rimbaud on Friday, February 01, 2002 - 04:51 pm: Edit

I will definitely be stopping in Lucullus for a look around while I'm in NOLA in early March...

~21st Century Rimbaud

By Tabreaux on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 09:24 pm: Edit

I was in Lucullus today. I know the shops and owners very well.

By String on Thursday, January 31, 2002 - 09:17 pm: Edit

My friend bough an absinthe fountain a couple years ago from a place in New Orleans called Lucullus. I will try to give more details after my trip there in late March. This forum has a large NOLA presence, perhaps someone else could elaborate on this place.

By Chevalier on Wednesday, January 30, 2002 - 09:02 am: Edit

10-4, Etienne.

By Etienne on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 04:37 pm: Edit

Thanks Heiko, that sort of explains things. I'm not exactly the most computer savy guy you'll ever run into.

Chev, would you mind if I mailed you direct, so I can see if it's my machine that has the problem, or if it's attached to eBay? We can talk about grubby old spoons and such.

By Heiko on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 04:28 pm: Edit

Emails usually (originally) use 7-bit encoding, but when you send rich-text (formatted, with true-type fonts and stuff) mails or when you use special non-standard characters, the text is 8-bit and must be MIME encoded.

Try to send the mail in pure ASCII text format (unfortunately this is not the default setting in Outlook Express or Outlook) or try another mailing program.

more on the Multi purpose Internet Mail Extensions: http://www.zdnet.com/pcmag/issues/1601/pcmg0033.htm

By Etienne on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 04:05 pm: Edit

Yes, that's the address, from your profile.Here's what the mailer-daemon says;

550-This message has 8-bit content, but does not have the required MIME headers.

Anybody have any idea just what that actually means?

Lots-o-luck on the label.

By Chevalier on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 11:31 am: Edit

No, I've no idea why my server didn't accept your mail. Did you try mchev@norteamericano.cl ?

I will definitely bid on the label. Thanks for your kindness!

By Etienne on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 10:54 am: Edit

Chevalier;

No problem! I didn't know if your profile pic came from a book or from an item in your collection. My first impulse was to bid on it myself but then I thought that it might be something you would like. Any idea why my mail didn't get through to you?

By Chevalier on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 10:14 am: Edit

Etienne: Thanks very much!

A while back, I saw a picture of the "Absinthe Chevalier" label on the 'Net. In fact, I used the photo for my forum profile pic. My father's family is originally from Moutier, a town in the Jura mountains of Switzerland. About half the town is filled with Chevaliers; the first by that name, a French Huguenot named Antoine Chevalier, arrived in 1573 with his family after fleeing from the St. Bartholomew's Day massacre. Legend has it that Antoine served as Moutier's first schoolmaster. (Funny, because I'm involved in teaching.)

I've never looked into the history of the label, but who knows? Perhaps a past relative made absinthe.

By Petermarc on Tuesday, January 29, 2002 - 01:21 am: Edit

the museum stopped carrying these fountains many months ago, due to poor and inconsistent quality...too bad, they were no doubt the best looking and closest attempt at duplicating an original fountain...i tried to get the name of the manufacturer from a museum guy at the absinthiades in pontarlier, but no go...he acted as if they were working on it again, but nothing is sure...the spoon is not available any more, either...and the new spoons from the museum suck, as far as quality goes, very thin and completely flat...everyone tries to save money (because they don't have alot to work with), and end up with shit...you must remember that virtually everything newly made (except when things are faked and sold as real) having to do with absinthe ends up costing alot and never being profitable, because of the small market and poor marketing...that is also why marie-claude's books are so hard to get-she covers all the costs...

By Destiny on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 11:00 pm: Edit

Wow, cool fountains! I wonder if the quality is as good as they look.

Does anyone know if repo fountains are available anywhere in Paris?

By Kali23 on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 08:01 pm: Edit

Has anyone dealt with the people at http://www.admdp.com/web/boutique/a_b_cuil.htm ? I see they've got a couple of fountains for between 3000 and 3500 Francs, but they don't say much about how to go about ordering (oh my, that's around $400)

By Etienne on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 06:50 pm: Edit

Chevalier;

Take a look at auction #1068389233.

I tried to forward this to you directly from the site but for some reason your server wouldn't accept my mail.

By Chevalier on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 09:45 am: Edit

If glass fountains are more your style, check out these eBay auctions in progress:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1327387130

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1504622752

Too bad one of the fountains has "brandy" etched on it!

By Chevalier on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 09:17 am: Edit

If you can't find an absinthe fountain, why not try using an antique coffee urn? The one in the photos below just sold on eBay for $29. It dates back to 1920. Raise the height a bit and you'd have a fine makeshift fountain.

my picturemy picture

By Aion on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 07:08 am: Edit

Oh, I forgot, don´t use sugar!
Kills the character of this absinthe.
If you want to know, how A.absinthum tastes
like, try this one.
A.

By Aion on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 07:04 am: Edit

Well, I have the fountain, so I also have
the bottle ;-)

Better than almost everything made
commercially at this time, but I
have alternatives that I like
better.
A.

By Heiko on Monday, January 28, 2002 - 05:13 am: Edit

I guess that's why they only sell the glasses together with the fountain - nobody would buy the fountain otherwise??

btw. anyone tried their absinthe yet? I think Peter did, but I can't recall if it was good or not (ok, I'll search the forum archives when I have more time...)

By Aion on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 10:31 pm: Edit

True,
the spigots are made of plastic material.
The glasswork is quite well made,
but rather thin.
A.

By Etienne on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 06:07 am: Edit

Plastic spigots??!!!

Retches Violently.

Forget it. Maybe next time.

By Petermarc on Sunday, January 27, 2002 - 03:39 am: Edit

the fountains are supposed to be pretty flimsy with plastic spigots...so goes another attempt, not quite pulled off...

By Absinthespoon on Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 09:29 pm: Edit

Unfortunately, fountains would be too hard to ship from France (high risk of breakage). The glasses are very nice- I have these swirl glasses (which are pressed glass), as well as hand-blown versions, and repro dose-marked East glasses.

By Etienne on Saturday, January 26, 2002 - 07:31 pm: Edit

Absinthespoon;

Nice to hear you have the glasses...is there any chance that you'll have that cool fountain in the future?

Are there any kind souls in France who would consider re-shipping a couple of the packages? Name your favorite form of bribery!

By Artist on Friday, January 25, 2002 - 12:02 am: Edit

I just got a reply back. Damn. Here it is:

Quote:

hello M Eban Lelrer
We are not able to ship toUS
Thank you for your ask
J F Narbey

By Absinthespoon on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 07:08 pm: Edit

I sell those same glasses that are in the picture with the Pontarlier Anis fountain. I don't have fountains yet though.

By Etienne on Thursday, January 24, 2002 - 06:56 pm: Edit

I just sent off a mail asking about the fountain package pictured below; bottle, fountain, two spoons and glasses. I'll let everyone know if I hear back from them.

By Mvario on Tuesday, January 22, 2002 - 03:06 am: Edit

one more from Ebay, in France of course

By Artist on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 10:48 pm: Edit

I have a friend named Glass who'd be willing...

By Krinkov on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 09:51 pm: Edit

P.S. I REALLY REALLY want a cool foutain of some sort and I know someone is keeping a source from us...come on, give it up. There is no point in letting this continue any longer, maybe I'll learn to blow glass myself. :)

By Krinkov on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 09:43 pm: Edit

Damn that IS cool! Maybe one of the French speaking fellows would be kind enough to send them an email about where they would be willing to ship to.

By Mvario on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 08:58 pm: Edit

This looks cool but I don't think they ship outside of Europe. L

fountain

By Artist on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 06:26 pm: Edit

As Zman7 says, Speciality bottle has a cool bottle with a spigot that works well as a fountain (the spigot can be opened just a little and you can get just the right flow). You just need something to use as a base...

They have four left as of today (and they are not sure they are going to order any more...):

http://www.specialitybottle.com/index.html

(The sales person I spoke to was Evan).

By _Blackjack on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 04:22 pm: Edit

I should think, once it is stirred, it makes very little difference.

By Chevalier on Monday, January 21, 2002 - 02:38 pm: Edit

Don't think anyone has suggested this yet:

Try an old coffee urn or samovar. They look great, are somewhat raised, and have their spigots at the bottom (so you get all the water). Sure, they're made of metal rather than glass, but clean chrome or stainless steel keeps the water cold and shouldn't affect the flavor.

By Brett on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 06:42 pm: Edit

I just won an Intel QX3 microscope that hooks up to your computer...maybe I can post something in a few weeks when I get it! :)

Unfortunately, I don't have a fountain to play with, but I'm sure I can figure something out.

By Mr_Rabid on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 06:40 pm: Edit

So- the oil comes out of solution slowly, or quickly.

Does this affect the size of the droplets? That is, there are leeetle tiny blobs of oil in there after the water is added.

I am thinking the smaller they is, the more flavorful absinthe you will have (more surface area of oil droplet available to your tastebuds.)

Somebody out there has a microscope and can take a look, yes?

By Perruche_Verte on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 05:59 pm: Edit

I really think they do taste different this way. Maybe the louche and smell are just affecting my other senses. But the first time I tried Segarra with my spigot-bottle fountain, I was really surprised. The absinthe felt denser and more flavorful.

By Mr_Rabid on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 04:47 pm: Edit

I find it releases the scent of the absinthe, which makes it that much tastier.

I don't know why. Perhaps it just gives the smell more time to permeate the room and be sniffed and salivated over.

By Heiko on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 03:51 pm: Edit

Do you really think a fountain makes absinthe taste different? I'm using a brouille quite often now (I finally kept the Tabu-repro, even it wasn't perfect - but where could I get another one?) and it takes between 5 and 10 minutes until the absinthe is ready to drink, it looks fantastic, a cloud rising slowly from the bottom to the top, leaving a rim of clear absinthe for quite a while - but it doesn't taste different, I think.

By Perruche_Verte on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 03:02 pm: Edit

On the subject of fountains: can any of our good chemists explain why they give a glass of absinthe the qualities they do?

My best guess is that they simply allow the oils in the absinthe to mix more evenly with the water, producing a heightened louche and fragrance and a thicker, creamier texture to the drink. But from me, that's just a guess.

By Mvario on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 02:06 pm: Edit

\image

and this on ebay looks pretty cool

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1503421281

By Mvario on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 01:57 pm: Edit

How about these (about halfway down the page)?

http://www.glassworksbyalex.com/store/casafina.html

http://www.cybercucina.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/ccdocs/products/9230LEM.html?L+cybercucina+wgdi5887+1013407592

http://www.cybercucina.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/ccdocs/products/2064CED.html?L+cybercucina+wgdi5887+1013407592

or

http://creativewaredesigns.com/infused.html

By Perruche_Verte on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 06:14 am: Edit

Nice, but remember Global Amici is only a wholesaler. Do a keyword search in the Archives for "fountain" and you'll find some retailers.

By Mvario on Sunday, January 20, 2002 - 05:04 am: Edit

http://www.globalamici.com/cgi-bin/browse_store.cgi?&cust_id=&cart_id=2701721.15752&category=Jars%20and%20Spigot%20Jars

By Artemis on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 09:13 pm: Edit

I've been told by another forum member who tried to get one that they don't have them anymore (Specialty Bottle). Or so they told him.

By Zman7 on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 05:50 pm: Edit

www.specialtybottle.com
has an interesting bottle with a gold colored spigot that works well as a fountain. It's not pictured any longer, but the model was one of their "Taberna 64's" with a spigot. Several forumites, including myself, have great results with this bottle. Hey, for fifteen bucks, it's not a bad deal either.

By Raschied on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 02:49 pm: Edit

That is a fantastic idea! Sacramento is a university town, so I'm sure I can find someone.

By Grimm on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 12:12 pm: Edit

greetings Raschied,

We have many art schools here in Montreal with lots of students willing to do interesting projects. I will be having some custom glassworks made, for relatively cheap! I will post photos once I have the final product.

You should definately see if there are any artisans in your area willing to do such work. It is especially interesting to get students to do the work, as you can imagine, it is much more affordable! Not to mention you're feeding the starving artists!

By Raschied on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 11:19 am: Edit

There was one on e-bay not too long ago, but I lost out. Are there an other sources? I'm considering taking up pottery to make my own if I can't find one soon!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation