Archive through February 26, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru February 2002:Anyone in the Southeastern US?:Archive through February 26, 2002
By Auntieminda on Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 02:59 pm: Edit

Back on the subject of a possible Southeast meet...I could definitely see doing the meetin' in N'awlins. It's been a while since I've been down that way.

Smiles,
Auntie M

By Timk on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 04:35 pm: Edit

lol, thought so :)

By Petermarc on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 04:32 pm: Edit

no, i think someone put a coat of shellac on it at one time...

By Timk on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 04:28 pm: Edit

is that the original finish?

By Petermarc on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 04:21 pm: Edit

oxy

By Petermarc on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 04:19 pm: Edit

crates are tough to find, because they usually ended up in a fire...someone thought this was a publicity sign...

By Petdekatkrewe on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 02:52 pm: Edit

But they sure could use a good t-shirt shop...

By Baz on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 02:34 pm: Edit

The bourbon street area goes through fads, and I'm not all that impressed with the one they've been going through for the past ten years or so...
How many dacquari shops do we need selling 190 octane and hand grenades? a couple would do, but it's like the "reality tv" thing. If one is successful, 378 must be even more successful. And the hurricane was very good and very succesful.
This fad'll pass, smoeday, and hopefully will go to something more intriguing.

By Tabreaux on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 02:23 pm: Edit

Apparently the owners felt it to be more profitable to go the way they did, but since they've saved everything from the old bar, they obviously want to keep their options open (and they do know what they've got).

If anything came up for sale, I'd know about it fairly quickly, and that has not happened (I am told not to hold my breath). Of course, knowing something is for sale and actually acquiring it are two entirely different matters. If one of those fountains went to the block, I'd bet it would probably be the most expensive absinthe-related item ever sold, and judging by some of the people I've met who fancy antique shopping here, it would sell....probably ending up on the bar in some wealthy estate.

I just missed the opportunity to buy part of a very old Pernod Fils crate, but it was sold before I could return a phone call.

By Petdekatkrewe on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 01:31 pm: Edit

Ted,

Great to know that the original artifacts were preserved, even though it still pisses me off that the owners gutted a landmark to put up a daquari bar.

Do you know if they have plans to reincarnate the originals as a bar in the future, or just part it out on Royal?

By Tabreaux on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 12:11 pm: Edit

I made an inquiry awhile back. They are definitely not interested in selling *anything*. Everything they removed from the old bar is packed neatly in storage. They are well aware of what they have (thanks to no shortage of local antiquities appraisers).

I do recall driving by when they were remodeling and seeing one of the fountains propped up just inside the doorway. I was eyeing it lustfully. ;-)

By Timk on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 12:03 pm: Edit

has anyone attempted to purchase them?

By Tabreaux on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 10:55 am: Edit

The fountains were not junked, and are still standing at the bar....albeit seemingly a bit out of place at a daiquiri bar.

By Petdekatkrewe on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 10:50 am: Edit

For additional info:

http://www.oldabsinthehouse.com/

http://www.thejukejoint.com/oldabhousdaq.html

http://www.justin-time.com/artists/bryanlee/

By Petdekatkrewe on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 10:47 am: Edit

The "Old Absinthe House" is a pleasant enough square bar on the corner of Bourbon & Bienville. They have old drip fountains on display, don't know if they are functional. They lay clain to having invested several absinthe based cocktails, which they currently recreate using pastis.

At the outset of prohibition, the original bar, including the original fountain, was clandestinly removed from the Bourbon/Bienville location and placed into storage, anticipating its destruction in the prohibition fever.

The bar emerged from storage post prohibition, but interestingly, was was reconstructed a couple of blocks down Bourbon in "long bar" configuration with a music back room. This was called the "Old Absinthe House BAR" and was by far the best blues bar in the Quarter. The house band for years was Bryan Lee & The Jump Street Five.

Tragically, in 1998, in alleged financial distress, the Old Asinthe House Bar was gutted and turned into one of those God forsaken hideous nauseating Dacquri Bars with neon/Dairy Queen lighting and washing machine dispensors of sugar and grain alcohol. Even more unbelievably, the original bar & fountain is reported to have been junked. Unreal.

Most people who remember being at the "Old Absinte House" were really at the "Old Absinte House BAR", a much more happening joint. Live music was the primary distinquishing factor.

I will be in NO for the first weekend of Jazz Fest and would be delighted to hook up with any list Brothers/Sisters for a Green Hour.

By Drbeer on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 02:24 am: Edit

I've seen the House, but never bothered going in. Anyone out there checked them out before?

By Robman on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 12:05 am: Edit

I live in Metro Atlanta, and have been to New Orleans about 8 times, mostly when I was a student in Memphis, though. I remember seeing "The Old Absinthe House" (on Bourbon?), and recognizing the word from having read the article in Scientific American. I think that establishment would be an awesone place to meet fellow Green Fairy enthusiasts. I wonder if their fountain is still operational.

By Auntieminda on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 02:47 pm: Edit

Doc,

Yes, ya got the right Thor in one. Can't remember Melly's last name, but I know she throws great parties.

First go round I graduated in 93...and then I came back again, let's see, between I would say 95 and 98 or so (somewhere in there, I've never been good with dates)...and I come to visit on occasion, though I haven't been back down much since I came to Memphis...

Smiles,
Auntie M

By Drbeer on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 12:48 pm: Edit

Thor Carver? Hmm I have met him, but I would not say I know him.

Yes I know a few Rogues. I'm not sure if Melanie was a Highlander or not though... she very well may have been. Short with dark hair. Music major. Fantastic voice. I know another Melanie who got married not too long ago. Melanie Edge I believe her name is. Or was...

I remember one Highlander who thought I was stalking her for some reason. haha No idea why she thought that.

So you are a "W" alum? Wow small world! Amazing that someone else from this area knows of absinthe (so many I talk to have no idea what it is). Even more surprised to find another who drinks it and who visits this forum. If you don't mind my asking, what year did you graduate?

By Auntieminda on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 07:48 am: Edit

Doc,

Heh heh heh...well, continuing the "Lowndes County" discussion, do you know any Rogues? I'm an alumn...I might know the Melanie you are talking about (that is if she was a Highlander), and do you, by any chance, know Thor?

Smiles,
the infamous Auntie Minda

By Drbeer on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 01:17 am: Edit

haha Well I went to school at the "W" for 3 years. I lived in Frazer for a year and a half and that sucked. Got to see the pretty chicks in Jones a lot though! I have a few friends at State. One is pre-vet the other is pre-med.

I go to Steve's every now and then. He has some great sandwiches... too bad he raised the damn prices. Sometimes a good band too. I got into it with a few of the regulars at the Coffee Shop several times so I tend to not go anymore. I have friends who still go there a lot but it's easier to just avoid conflict and not go. Now I just go to Subway.

Slacker House sounds SOOOO familiar. I had a friend named Melanie who lived right over in Alabama and threw some wicked parties. That was a couple of years ago though.

Ok I'm real sleepy so enough rambling... I have to work early anyway.

By Auntieminda on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 07:27 pm: Edit

I don't suppose I would know you, though, unless you've been around the "W", or perhaps State...or even Steve's Coffe Shop...

I don't guess you ever came to a party at Slacker House, did you?

Smiles,
Auntie M

By Drbeer on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 04:46 pm: Edit

Yep Northeast. Lowndes County. I've been here since I was 6.

By Sicboy13 on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 11:07 am: Edit

Very good Don, whenever I pass the "Facility" I hold my breath. Just in case....(cough cough).

By Auntieminda on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 11:02 am: Edit

Where in Missasslippy would that be, Doc? If it takes ya 5 hrs to get to Nawlins, then I'm guessing you're up to the North, possibly the North East of the state, where I'm from originally.

Smiles,
Auntie M

By Petdekatkrewe on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 10:55 am: Edit

Anyone going to be in New Orleans for the 1st weekend of Jazz Fest? See my post under topic New Orleans Jazz Fest.

Dirty Rog

By Don_Walsh on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 08:42 am: Edit

Ames, Iowa is home of the University of Iowa and the (US Gobbimint) Ames Laboratory. Now notorious as the namesake of the Ames Strain of anthrax...

But Ames isn't the source of the present problem, that distinction appears to go to Dugway, Utah.

"We have met the enemy and it's Us" -- Pogo, Walt Kelly, 40 years ago.

By Sicboy13 on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 08:43 pm: Edit

I'm a double postin fool

By Sicboy13 on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 08:43 pm: Edit

Ive eaten @ a place with the same name in Ames, Ia. They bake there pizza's in crockery (soup type bowls) then when they serve it they flip the bowl upsidedown & tap it with a spoon. It rocks

By Drbeer on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 08:39 pm: Edit

Have any of you ever eaten at a little place called "The Pizza Kitchen". It's right by the French Quarter in Nawlins, on a corner. Oh man that place has some of the best pizza's and lasagne I've ever had! I've driven 5 hours to New Orleans on several occassions just to have lunch there. Of course going to the Canal Street Mall is always a nice detour... unfortunately I can't afford most of the stuff there but sometimes I find a good price on some clothing etc.

By the way, I reside in the completely backward state of Mississippi.

By Chrysippvs on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 04:59 pm: Edit

I concur...the best place to meet for something like that would be a big meeting possibly in New Orleans...

By Anatomist on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 04:50 pm: Edit

The southeast is pretty big. I'm in Jacksonville, FL, and it's almost 600 miles from Nashville and New Orleans. I drove almost 4,000 miles in the past few months, some of which with a UHaul trailer, so I'm feeling whiny about long drives.

BTW, Auntie, if you live anywhere near Murfreesboro, there is this unbelievable Chinese food place right on I-24 - right between a giant King's Inn and the highway... in a renovated gas station! I hauled some of it 650 miles up to Madison, and everyone who tasted it agreed.

K.

By Auntieminda on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 04:19 pm: Edit

OK, I'm wide awake now, Doc. I reside in Tennessee, and yah, I'd love a get-together.

Smiles,
Auntie M

By Drbeer on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 04:09 pm: Edit

Like most things, the best way to know something is to experience it. I shall have to make sure to visit Thailand one day!

By Don_Walsh on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 04:28 am: Edit

All I can say is, I've been here 14 years now, and if I found a better place to live I'd vote with my feet.

The countryside, and the seaside, and the islands can be even better than the big city. If you want to sleep late, eat well, see fantastic sunsets, drink well, enjoy the company of charming, smiling, comely Thai ladies, you can't do better than some of the more out of the way islands and beach resorts -- but avoid the overdeveloped and crowded places like Pattaya or Phuket or even Koh Samui.

By Drbeer on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 12:00 am: Edit

Well I knew most of the history and geography. I should have been more specific.

What are the people like? That is what I am interested in the most. I love to visit and learn about other cultures.

Now that I think about it that's a bit broad. I should go find a good book on the city.

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 11:49 pm: Edit

What can I say? Bangkok: 12 million people living next to a winding river (the Chaophya, a Mekong tributary). A mix of the old and new. City dates to around 1780, nation (formerly called Siam) is 900 years old. Constitutional monarchy. Present King is ninth in Chakri dynasty. Population 65 millions plus. Warm weather, but not monsoonal. Low cost of living. Great food. Nice people. Very pretty girls. Borders Burma, Laos, Cambodia, and Malaysia. Eastern seaboard and E.coast of peninsula are on the Gulf of Thailand and South China Sea. W.coast on Andaman Sea and Indian Ocean. Siam was never colonized, alone in South East Asia.

By Drbeer on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 11:23 pm: Edit

You are in bangkok, correct Don? If you don't mind my asking, what is it like there? Just a general description of the place. I've never been.

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 10:52 pm: Edit

This was done already in New Orleans.

Maybe Ted will do it again.

By Chrysippvs on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 10:28 pm: Edit

dirty south, dirty dirty...

By Drbeer on Saturday, February 16, 2002 - 10:18 pm: Edit

hahaha The deep south! MS, AL, GA, FL, SC, VA, LA, TN...

By Auntieminda on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 11:39 pm: Edit

Anyways, Doc, I think I'm there...I'm just not knowing, too sleepy, and too stubborn to go to sleep...

Merrr?
Auntie M

By Chrysippvs on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 11:36 pm: Edit

I am...

By Auntieminda on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 10:56 pm: Edit

Don't make me think about geography at nearly one in the morning...define Southeastern US more clearly...

Wired,
Auntie M

By Drbeer on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 10:53 pm: Edit

Anyone from the lovely Southeastern US visit this deliciously charming forum? If there are enough maybe a small get together could be arranged.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation