A Very Special Occasion

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru March 2002:A Very Special Occasion
By Alphasoixante on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 08:32 pm: Edit

but but Pee wee's big adventure, people!

that's sublime stuff.

By Pikkle on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 08:17 pm: Edit

Christina Ricci's TITS... now that's imagery!!!!

By Mr_Rabid on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 08:04 pm: Edit

I've yet to meet anyone who did endorse all of his movies, for that reason or any other.

Sleepy hollow kinda sucked. Some good imagery, but the rest...bleh.

The thing about a good Tim Burton movie is that it looks in something in an unusual way, usually funny, and it's visually interesting.

By Anatomist on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 06:40 pm: Edit

I would prefer not to do heavy thinking during a Burton movie either. Unfortunately, when the overall conception and execution is so poor that I'm left bored and frustrated, he leaves me with little choice.

I think he is a man with a certain amount of vision who lacks the discipline and self-scrutiny to take it to the next level. A big part of the problem is that he gets a free ride to ply his pablum by an indiscriminate 'subculture' public who eat it up because it's "dark". Just as I don't love all fermented grape juice just because it's wine, I can't endorse his crummy movies just because they're dark.

K.

By Destiny on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 05:19 pm: Edit

Yeah, that Tim Burton is a rube!!!

By Auntieminda on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 05:12 pm: Edit

Throwing in my two cents worth, I like Burton a lot. He's fun. I don't spend a lot of time doing serious thought in a Burton film, I just sit back and enjoy the ride. Your mileage may vary.

No, Sleepy Hollow wasn't scary, and I wasn't aware that it was supposed to be. I thought of it as more of a dark fantasy than a horror. However, Johnny Depp's facial expressions were a hoot.

My true favorite director, on the other hand (and a member of my personal pantheon as one aspect of the Terry Triformis--god of insanity, inspiration, and intellect) is Terry Gilliam.

wiffling through the tulgy wood,
Auntie M

By Anatomist on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 03:59 pm: Edit

I thought MARS ATTACKS sucked, and is a perfect example of why Burton is a lousy movie director when left on his own. The artistic design and premise were great, but the comic rythym was obliterated by all those stupid celebrity-cameo subplots... I got so disgusted I stopped watching it halfway through. If a real director re-edited a 30 minute version of that film for laughs, it would be funnier than hell.

Likewise, SLEEPY HOLLOW was probably the least scary horror movie ever. It was as if the man had no concept whatever of what horror is, not to mention story pacing or developing audience interest in characters. Pathetic.

Burton should never have risen above the station of 'Art Director'. He's a first officer, not a captain. If they allow him to remake WONKA, it will be the worst movie since ISHTAR... hmmm, I guess IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS already took that honor.

K.

By Mr_Rabid on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 03:51 pm: Edit

Yeah, but come on- Charlton Heston as an ape, saying the goddamn dirty humans had to be exterminated?

Classic!

Burton rules, but I think he is better the more fantastic he can be. Mars Attacks, Beetlejuice, these allowed free reign. Hell, Edward Scissorhands he took suburbia and exaggerated it to the point of farce.

He fucks up when he goes for'realism.'

By Mvario on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 03:42 pm: Edit

Tim Burton is excellent!

except for Planet of the Apes. He's gonna have to do a lot to make reparation fot that one.

By Destiny on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 12:40 pm: Edit

I loved Mars Attacks!!! Remember when the aliens say "we won't hurt you" as they're blasting everything in sight? Tim Burton is great when the studios leave him alone.

I just ordered the John Waters collection.

By Cheri on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 11:04 am: Edit

I actually spent good money on "Mars Attacks"

By Tavarua on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 10:24 am: Edit

Actually, that sounds really cool. Could think of worse things to do for the green.

By Joalco on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 09:05 am: Edit

Tee hee... It's a trade secret...

Actually, when I'm not busy finishing off my international business degree or imbibing opalescent beverages, I spend my free time running an indie dvd store here in Austin. Thus, I have access to most movies early...

It ain't much, but it's a nice perk sometimes.

By Tavarua on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 06:20 am: Edit

Joalco,

How'd you get the special sauce? I thought Jay and Silent Bob came out on the 26th.

And don't get me started on the LOTR. I still think Jenna Jameson should have been the "Lady of the Wood".

By Joalco on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 05:57 am: Edit

Indeed it is... My daughter has the whole set, and I keep trying to tell her that someday it'd make a perfect absinthe glass, for either the novice or experienced absintheur... (Shall I fill it to the first ring, or all the way to the third...)

Good eye!

By Sicboy13 on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 09:44 pm: Edit

Joalco...five to one that's a lord of the rings glass poking up from your profile pic....am I right?

By Joalco on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 04:37 pm: Edit

Heehee... I've had the DVD for over a week now, and have watched the movie damn near thirty times. Much ado was made about the gay jokes in the film, but I can truly say that Kevin Smith is not only funny as hell, but a genuine nice guy as well. I will continue to support his efforts, no matter how juvenile...

By Tavarua on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 04:00 pm: Edit

It's not everyday a movie comes out that really makes you stop and think. Think about things like, has anything that I have ever done, really had a positive affect on my surroundings or the people around me? What are we doing here and what is our purpose? Who are the people in the black van that constantly follow me, take my picture and taunt me with off the wall British insults. Well I profess that just such a thinking movie has made it to the world of video, just yesterday even. "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back", a movie about war and love, art and poetry, midgets and two retards named Bilbo and Jeb, has finally come into our homes. I must go now and get my copy.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation