Wolvie's la bleue...

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru March 2002:Wolvie's la bleue...
 SubtopicPosts Updated
Archive through March 05, 2002  45   03/06 05:11pm

By Robman on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 08:33 pm: Edit

I have my package received from SC ready for sampling - I just need to get some spring water and a sports bottle to do it right.

I almost don't want to open the bottles because it's so cool to have a bunch of absinthe sitting on my desk.

The NS bottle looks cooler than the Deva bottle, but one thing that I think is axiomatic for absinthuers is "Don't judge an absinthe by the bottle."

By Louched_Liver on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 04:32 pm: Edit

Hair of a different dog is in order then.

By Robman on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 02:16 pm: Edit

Plus I am fending off a hops-induced hangover.

By Sicboy13 on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 02:15 pm: Edit

Robman, my advice, have 3-4 glasses tonight. you will forgot that you have even tried it by the time SPD comes around!! :)

By Robman on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 02:14 pm: Edit

Because this will be my first affair with the Green Fairy, I want to pick my occasion. It just so happens that St. Patty's Day is right around the corner, and what better way to celebrate SPD that to indulge in the Green Fairy for the first time?

By Sicboy13 on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 02:13 pm: Edit

Robman, you must...simply because you must...

By Louched_Liver on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 02:10 pm: Edit

Robman sez:
"I don't know if I will indulge tonight."
For fuck's sake man, why not?

Let's be reasonable,
LL

By Robman on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 01:52 pm: Edit

Yep.

By Sicboy13 on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 01:47 pm: Edit

robman, is that the order that they took to the post on 3-5?

By Robman on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 01:16 pm: Edit

Sicboy,

My wife called me at work to let me know that my package has arrived from SC - I haven't looked at it to see if the USDA was interested in it. I don't know if I will indulge tonight.

By Giovannigray on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 11:52 pm: Edit

From what I've been able to glean from various places on the web, I think La Fee retails for something like 32 or 37 pounds in the UK..(cheaper than Hill's..go figure). You might want to base the value of your barter on that.

It really is a shame that La Fee is so evasive stateside, because it's a good product. And by the way, the "domestically available absinthe alternative" with whom I'm familiar is no longer selling La Fee, so I seem to be indefinitely without. But that, Robman, is my problem.

Go for it.

By Robman on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 11:36 pm: Edit

Not that inexpensive - the item I would be sending him is relatively hard to find, but something that I happen to have a fairly extensive collection of.

I'm not even sure if this guy is willing to lay out 45 pounds to buy a bottle at retail price and send it to me, but I will make the offer. Nothing tried is nothing gained, and if La Fee is as hard for an American to obtain as t appears, I think this is effort well expended.

By Giovannigray on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 11:11 pm: Edit

Sounds painless, and relatively inexpensive. If that's all you need to do to find La Fee at your doorstep, it's definitely worthwhile!

By Robman on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 10:29 pm: Edit

How much trouble? Basically, I am in contact with a brit with whom I share an interest totally unrelated to absinthe, and I have asked him if he might find a bottle of La Fee there in the UK for trade for an item he would be interested in. I beleive it would cost me about $10 to ship to him. I'm not sure how much it would be for him to ship to me.

It seems that the take on the domestically available absinthe alternative seems to be universally "not worth the time and money invested".

By Giovannigray on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 09:54 pm: Edit

"Moulin Rouge", maybe..and live vicariously until your SC package gets here.

By Tabreaux on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 09:51 pm: Edit

I agree. You'd get more enjoyment from that $35 by taking 4 friends and yourself out to see a bad movie.

By Giovannigray on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 09:47 pm: Edit

At this point, Robman, I'd wait for the SC package. While I've never tasted Absente, I'm hesitant to support a product that claims to be something it's not.

As for La Fee, I don't know what your "in" for La Fee may be, but..I HAVE tasted that, and it's enjoyable. It might also be interesting for you to be able to directly compare La Fee to the Spanish products, for the enrichment of your own absinthe palate.

Worth the trouble? Dunno, depends how much trouble.

By Robman on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 09:12 pm: Edit

3/1 posted arrived on 3/8, so 3/5 posted should arrive on 3/12 (next tuesday). The wait for my first taste of absinthe is sooooo long. Should I go ahead and drop $35 on a bottle of "Absente" just as a warm-up?

On the bright side, I may have an in with La Fee. Do you think it's worth the trouble to try to get a bottle in the states?

By Giovannigray on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 06:39 pm: Edit

Got my SC order today..was sent to post on 3/1, so..7 days. I'm happy.

By Sicboy13 on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 02:26 pm: Edit

I got the same thing, mine taken to the post on 3-5 as well, I'll let you know & you let me know....you take the high road'n i'll take da low road, and I'll be in Scotland, befor`yeh!

By Louched_Liver on Friday, March 08, 2002 - 02:42 am: Edit

"posted"=taken to the "post" office.

Takes about 5-7 business days after that, ordinarily.

By Robman on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 09:55 pm: Edit

Sicboy, I made my order on 2-23-02. I received an email 3-5 saying my order had been posted, but I haven't received it yet. This being my first trist with the Green Fairy, I have no experience with SC's shipping time.

BTW - what does "posted" actually mean? Cristina said I would have to wait 7-10 days from the date of that email.

By Sicboy13 on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 11:14 am: Edit

cool, thanks

By Baz on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 11:12 am: Edit

I'd look for it next week, but don't panic if it takes longer. my first order didn't arrive, so after 30 days they reshipped and I got it in 7 days.

By Sicboy13 on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 09:55 am: Edit

Yes, it posted on 3-1-2

By Baz on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 09:53 am: Edit

did they tell you it was posted yet?

By Sicboy13 on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 09:34 am: Edit

Robman, I just ordered from SC 2-27-02, whats da usual wait time you have had?

By Sicboy13 on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 09:31 am: Edit

long live Icehouse...MMMmmmmmm...

By Aroquentin on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 09:16 am: Edit

How thoughtful of you, Don et al. I thank you.

Aroq

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 06:15 am: Edit

Oh, we just exist to amuse you, Aroq.

By Arj on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 06:04 am: Edit

FYI: I've been waiting over a month for my Wolvie's. Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

By Aion on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 05:58 am: Edit

Antique spoons, sent from a seller
located in France, and mailmen, the
best way to receive absolutely
unique spoons (not classified by MCD).

If the seller had the brilliant idea
to put the spoons in an ordinary
thin envelope your probably get more
items than you paid for.

A.

By Wolfgang on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 05:38 am: Edit

Haha, talking about mailmans and rough handling...Two weeks ago I got a small box of antic spoons. My girlfriend was going out of the appartment when the mailman came. She opened the door and at the same time the mailman threw the box at the door... :-) Imagine her getting a poorly packed flying box of banging old spoons by the head ! I bet she probably sweared again about this "damn absinthe thing" .

By Robman on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 11:05 pm: Edit

I'm surprised sicboy can afford that fancy Icehouse. My chosen poison is Red Dog - 5.99 a 12-pack. LOL - here I won't even come off an extra $3 to get decent beer, but I drop a benjamin on SC for a shipment which I haven't received and don't expect until next week. That darn Green Fairy can make folks do things they wouldn't normally do even BEFORE they ever try it!

I expect my first seizure next week. Those darn lesions, you know.

By Destiny on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 10:03 pm: Edit

Nothing says "fuckable" like blonde bimbettes...

By Verawench on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 08:59 pm: Edit

Oh, moonman, now you have me talking goofy.

By Verawench on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 08:59 pm: Edit

Russell Crowe is so fuckable...

Must he really date little blonde bimbettes?

By Mvario on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 08:52 pm: Edit

joey, do you like movies about gladiators?

By Aroquentin on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 08:07 pm: Edit

Well, I do believe that international mail is as unpredictable as International Male is unfashionable.

By Dehe on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 07:49 pm: Edit

It took longer to get to Mvario who lives in NY and shorter to get to Aroq who lives in CA, and its coming from germany? Something doesnt fit. Does anyone have any idea what the huge hold up with this stuff is?

By Sicboy13 on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 07:19 pm: Edit

I need to start ordering more than one bottle because the day mine arrives, the next I'm back to Icehouse.

By Aroquentin on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 07:14 pm: Edit

Mine took 3 weeks approx. Did I mention that it's just delicious? I think I did.

And yes the local kids do go nuts for it, just tell 'em it's "liquid candy" and they'll do anything for it. My god how did this end up sounding so creepy ;>.

Hehe, I can see it on Fox now "Perverts luring children with Moulin Rouge liquor!" Alright enough of this, I'm sure I've violated several rules of forum etiquette by now.

Aroq

By Mvario on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 05:11 pm: Edit

I forget when I sent the check, around the end of January. When I was following up Andy said they shipped on Febuary 5, so it took about a month... and it wasn't even inspected by the USDA ;-)

By Dehe on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 04:30 pm: Edit

how long (from time of shipment) did it take to get to you?

By Mvario on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 04:27 pm: Edit

Woo Hoo! Mine just came today too! I just got back from the Post Office. Haven't tried it yet, but soon.

By Destiny on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 04:06 pm: Edit

You are absolutely correct, I have visited several schoolyards and the children all love it - not as much as the candy, but almost. It's just kinda difficult to fit the bottles in my overcoat pockets...

By Aroquentin on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 03:12 pm: Edit

FYI to everyone, just received Wolvie's La Bleue. The mail man threw it at my door, it bounced and fell on the floor with a thump :>. Good thing the packing was relatively bulletproof. To those who have ordered and are still waiting, it is coming.

I have only sipped it but I have to say, DAMN that's good! For those of you who have not had the pleasure it is really objectively good. I mean not good in an acquired taste kind of way but good in the way that you could give it to a group of children in a schoolyard and they would fight over it. It's just that delicious. Definitely anise, licorice and a little tiny bit woody. Very little alcohol taste. I love it.

BTW, this place and you people are very helpful and amusing.

Aroq

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation