I'm amazed at the kaleidescope of personalities on this board!!

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru March 2002:I'm amazed at the kaleidescope of personalities on this board!!
 SubtopicPosts Updated
Archive through March 03, 2002  45   03/03 04:25pm

By Mr_Rabid on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 04:09 pm: Edit

Sicboy, the odds of Tha Liva getting delayed messages because of your OE version are next to nothing.

His mail server ain't getting a confirm of delivery from your mail server, and that is all ISP side.

If peeps on otha servers can't mail yo ass, then
MSN be the culprit. Call they tech support, get all up in they face.

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 11:18 am: Edit

I run win2k, 98 (in the other room) a linux box, and a linux server (in the other room). I much enjoy 2k over 98 and have little or no problems with it. I refuse to swith to XP, it looks awful and with all the hardware switching and tinkering it would not be fruitful...

- J

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 11:17 am: Edit

tried to upload image, was too big :(

By Don_Walsh on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 03:39 pm: Edit

Star Office is great, and was created obviouslt to liberate us from the deathgrip of Office.

I normally just keep word and Excel installed and delete Access and Binder and Powerpoint...at the moment I have had to reinstall Powerpoint to work on some presentations for the Defense Ministry (no, not absinthe related!) but when that job is done so is Powerpoint...

By Destiny on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 01:15 pm: Edit

Next thing ya know, you'll start with the Unix humor and then it will all be downhill...

By _Blackjack on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 11:41 am: Edit

My system at home runs Win2K. I use Unix (Linux and AIX), NT, 2K, and Macs at work, and have been relying on the Unix stuff more and more.

Recently, for the first time, I accidentally typed "ls -ltr | more" instead of "dir /p" at a Windows command line....

By Admin on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 11:28 am: Edit

I use unix at work and to run this site.

But I'm a mac head in my spare time.

By Destiny on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 10:58 am: Edit

Just curious, any Linux/Unix folks out there? How about Star Office, it's free.

By Don_Walsh on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 06:36 am: Edit

My other piece of generic advice to anyone on the Wintel platform is not to use Office, or at least to disable the Office taskbar, and only install the components you actually intend to use. I routinely use Word, rarely use Excel, VERY rarely use PowerPoint, and that's it. Photo Editor is really just an applet compared to say Photoshop 5...although it does have one feature that I like that Photoshop seems to lack and that is a handy gamma adjustment...

The main problem with Office is that it is a memory hog. Even Word alone is a memory hog, grabbing huge chunks of system resources and not releasing them when it closes. That's why you sometimes get Insufficient Memory messages when you've got hundreds of Mb of RAM and gigabytes of available HDD space...only solution is a reboot...I once saw someone who was running Office with the taskbar, AND Lotus Suites at the same time, TWO memory hogs. Wow. Preditably her machine was very ssssslllllooooowwwwww

By Heiko on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 05:59 am: Edit

"As to IE6, I'll use it when it's in Service Pack 2 stage and
not before, like anything else from Bill Gates -- I refuse
to be his unpaid beta tester any longer"

This is usually my principle as well ;-)

Win98 SE was ok, I'm still using it, ME has always been a waste of time. I'm going to switch to Win2k Pro soon - it's old enough now to be a good OS.
XP? I heard it's successor will come at the end of this year. That means I'm never going to use it...

IE6 really was an exception - I gave it a try and kept using it. It is the first IE to be called a real browser ;-)

Netscape has become a slow crutch in comparison, Opera is good, but...
I tried using Win98 lite (IE removed totally with a hacker tool) with Opera for a rather long time. So many programs were desperately looking for IE or Netscape and didn't work in the end that I reinstalled and switched to IE again.

By Don_Walsh on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 12:57 am: Edit

Heiko, Outlook Express has always been the principle vehicle for the propoagation of various email viruses and trojans ever since its inception. The best defense against this was and is to delete Outlook express and all its components, and then even is you foolishly open such a malicious email when you receive it, rather than deleting it with attachment unopened, the virus/trojan code cannot replicate because the tools it uses, Outllok Express files, are not present. A dead end.

The notion that we should trust Microsoft to have fixed this problem is laughable. The virus creators stay well ahead of Redmond at all times.

As to IE6, I'll use it when it's in Service Pack 2 stage and not before, like anything else from Bill Gates -- I refuse to be his unpaid beta tester any longer.

I use 95 OSR2 and am proud of it. 98 was a kludge, and all later renditions of Windows are pains in the ass.

By Sicboy13 on Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 08:07 pm: Edit

heh heh...thanks you guys, i'm giving up tonite to resume getting drunk & watching cartoons. ATT!!
spaceghost is coming on 10:30 central on cartoon network. YOU MUST WATCH! the Willie Nelson episode is on & it is too funny! I appreciate all the help, I will let you know what I find out tommorrow.

Heiko, I can send emails fine, I am not recieving anything yet though..?

Goodnite sweet forum, let the bed bugs rot in hell! Sammy da Bull

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 06:39 pm: Edit

Heiko,

I agree. I have far fewer problems w/6. It just takes longer to start up. Once it is up, it is much better. Just like another thing that comes to mind.

By Heiko on Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 06:36 pm: Edit

Upgrade to IE6 & Outlook Express 6, it's better than the 5.x versions. Especially the browser is faster, more stable and offers better security features. Outlook Express 6 is basically the same as Outlook Express 5, but it is supposed to be more secure. Oh, and it probably sends your private data to Microsoft more reliably than OE 5 ;-)

I have "solved" two inexplainable software problems with OE 5 by installing OE 6 at work. So I can say it usually helps...

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 06:27 pm: Edit

If you have 5, it's just an automatic upgrade. Don't know it will fix anything or not. Don't think it could hurt.
There's people on the forum that know a lot about this. Rabid comes to mind right away.
E-mail me from you Hotmail.

By Sicboy13 on Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 06:24 pm: Edit

will i be able to switch my current email account over to outlook 6?

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 06:22 pm: Edit

Got one. Last one to you came back undeliverable.
Try upgrading to Outlook Express 6. Worth a try maybe?

By Sicboy13 on Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 06:06 pm: Edit

i just tried again, any luck? I know dis ain't know computer forum, but anyone else havin trouble with outlook express 5 or msn?

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 04:25 pm: Edit

Yo, Jockeyass,
Nothing this way. Enjoy jerkin' wit' yer jerky.

By Sicboy13 on Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 03:54 pm: Edit

(in homer voice...)MMmmmmmm..whhiiite-traaashy!

By Sicboy13 on Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 03:52 pm: Edit

Have you got anything from moi? Keep me posted mon frere, I held off on the Hill's, Icehouse instead....and beef jerky, life ain't all bad!

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 02:19 pm: Edit

Bullly,
I've sent a bunch, it all comes back "delayed". It's out there, waiting for the damn dam to break.

Siccy sez:
"guess I'll go drink Hill's" Damn, don't go do anything extreme!!!

Crisis intervention counselor,
El Elvis

By Sicboy13 on Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 02:05 pm: Edit

have you tried to send me anything lately? I havent gotten anything in my mail for da last day, either it's busted or "nobody likes me..ever-body hates me..guess I'll go drink Hill's.."

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation