A virgin humbly requests advice

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru March 2002:A virgin humbly requests advice
By Mvario on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 05:29 pm: Edit

Whatever that flavor is in Versinthe that I found so overpowering, I taste it a teeny tiny bit in Wolvies green, but subtle so it's not bad.

This was my first taste of the green, and I tried the bleue last night. The green is good, but I really like his bleue.

By Tabreaux on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 08:59 am: Edit

Plenty of that too.

By Petermarc on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 08:37 am: Edit

badiane scent?

By Tabreaux on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 08:33 am: Edit

I smell b.s.

By Absinthedrinker on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 08:11 am: Edit

I too was disappointed that he chose to mention thujone (although I guess he must have been asked so many times quoting the figures might be second nature...) As far as I know it is his own making, he is a distiller after all, but I am trying to get more info.

By Petermarc on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 07:50 am: Edit

well, making a blanche is a good idea, since he doesn't have to worry about variations in color, but is he making it himself, or is someone else and is it for commercial distribution or for an individual(and sadly, why is he talking about thujone?) 30 ppm is over the EU limit, so what's all this then?

By Absinthedrinker on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 07:41 am: Edit

Some interesting news from Pascal at Liquoriste de Provence:

"pour votre information, je viens de lancer la blanche de versinthe une absinthe blanche distillée à 57° sans sucre et a 30 ppm de tyuone le produit pour un amateur d'absinthe est étonnant et de trés grande qualitée"

By Petermarc on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 07:33 am: Edit

all commercial brands to this point, employ techniques to try to make sure that the product is the same, every time...this is the most sensible route, for someone who is initially interested in only making money...by macerating, adding artificial color and/or adding sugar, flaws can be hidden or diminished...ironically, the most expensive wines and vintage spirits are not made like this, and can be completely different from year to year, and cask to cask...this does not seem to effect their sales (to a great extent)
nor lower their esteem in the eyes of connoisseurs, when the result is still a quality product...a good example of negative marketing cross-over is the champagne house, pommery...they have decided to focus on sales and marketing to a younger, beer and alco-pops crowd by creating 'POP' a champagne put in a split-sized blue bottle, to be drunk with a straw...an interesting idea, only one problem...IT SUCKS!(i'd rather have a champale) really...so, in an attempt to pass off their bad and/or over-stocked supply of champagne (in total, champagne exports from france were down 3% in 2001)to a crowd of consumers, who they hope are too young or wasted to care, they have tarnished their image, just to make a few more euros...expect more things like this in the future, from surprising sources...modern (commercial) absinthe(pseudo-absinthe) producers use almost entirely this type of marketing (along with most la bleue distributors, not including wolfie), focusing on image and preconceived ideas, and the 'best'(up until very recently) use techniques that were used by the worst original industrial absinthe makers or rely on pastis-making techniques...i was recently told, in one of the oldest and finest wine-shops in paris, that now sells françois guy absinthe, that original absinthe was made with 100% absinthe, and no other herbs...and this person seemed very knowledgeable (obviously, not about absinthe, but wished to appear so) and would not sell emile pernot absinthe, because it was not as good or 'pure' as guy's (i.e., she said, emile pernot put too many other herbs in his, whereas, guy used 80% absinthe plus 20% green anis and one or two other herbs she couldn't tell me) this is, of course, incorrect, but try to correct someone in this position, and see where that gets you...this type of 'non'-knowledge runs rampant in france, and thus, it is easy to bullshit about absinthe or, transmit incorrect promotional material, based on believing that your source is an authority on the subject, because he sells or makes the product...caveat emptor

By Aion on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 06:14 am: Edit

Long time ago since I had my last
glass of Versinthe.
As far as I can remember I would say
the ingredients (for 1 l alcohol) are:

60-80 gr star anise (oil??)
40-60 gr licorice root
30-40 gr artemisia ...(vulgaris??)
10-15 gr mint
10-15 gr orange peel
maybe some coriander / cinnamon / nutmeg
and a lot of sugar

What´s you opinion Wolfgang??

A.

By Wolfgang on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 05:59 am: Edit

The weird taste in versinthe doesn't come from lavender. It's a mix of many herbs but I don't taste lavender in there.

I also taste some bitternes in Versinthe that doesn't come from absinthium. Then again I don't know what it is but I know what it's not. That doesn't mean there's no absinthium, just that there's something else that taste bitter in there.

In his early experiments, the Moonman removed the sugar out of versinthe. Of course this process removed also many things, including the color. What was left didn't taste bad but was not good either. Sugar mask the flaws and make it difficult to identify some herbs by taste.

Intuitively I think they probably use a maceration step after distillation and this step is somewhat overdone, which leave an insistant weird taste to the brew. The added sugar just add to the overall heaviness of the drink.

It's not that bad doo but I wouldn't pay huge shipping fee to get it. I pay about 35can$ for a bottle at the SAQ.

By Pablo on Thursday, March 07, 2002 - 04:42 am: Edit

Connermcc, I have an associate who teaches in Japan, and he said in the year he has been there he has not been able to find absinthe anywhere. Now, he may be just an idiot, so dont lose faith.

p.s. christchurch is a great town. I was there about 15 years ago. Beautiful.

By Angryp on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 11:28 pm: Edit

For what it's worth, this is the reply I got from the Liquoristerie de Provence folks:

in both product we use artemesia absinthum except for versinthe in usa where
we replace absinthum with woorwood to respect the usa legislation
.lamesinthe is not sold in usa and absinthum is in all bottle.regarding
absinthe they are on the market so called absinthe that not absinthe most of
them do not contain anis so they do not become milky when adding water and
they are coloured articially to make them appear grenn flashy . even if
these products contains absinthum they are not the historical absinthe but
vulgar copies with no taste and striong alcool

To my initial query:
I have a question about your Verisinthe and L'Amesinthe products. There is some dispute in my circle of friends as to whether or not they are actually absinthes. The dispute centers around the type of wormwoods used in the drink. Many claim only mugwort and southern wormwood are used and no artisma.absinthum is included at all. Can you help clear this up?

Please help me resolve this dispute. Thanks!

Maybe they're lying, maybe they're not. I prefer to take their word unless given a good reason to doubt them, no offense to anyone here.

By Mvario on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 04:19 pm: Edit

What IS that taste in Versinthe. I just got a bottle a few weeks ago. I brought it up to my mouth and there was this smell that I guess I'm hypersensative to that's like perfume and it was like drinkg perfume, like lavender or something... I couldn't finish the glass. No one else has mentioned anything like it so maybe I got some wierd mutant bottle, or maybe it's just something I'm sensative to that most folks aren't. Guess what I'll be bringing to New York

By Scanion on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 03:41 pm: Edit

A suggestion on orders from f.s.c. There is 20cl bottle of MM for less than $7 US, and it usually doesn't add to the shipping cost. Even if you don't like MM, one of your friends might. Or maybe a great in-law gift!

By Tavarua on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 02:32 pm: Edit

You dick. I just soiled my unmentionables.

By Sicboy13 on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 01:40 pm: Edit

what's wrong? The freakin alien ain't gots no eyebrows!

By Etienne on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 01:36 pm: Edit

Thanks Arj;
Nothing like a slight heart attack to brighten up an otherwise dull day. ;-)

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 01:26 pm: Edit

It's not too sweet if you put lots of water (at least 1:6). But I agree it doesn't qualify as absinthe. It's just a sweet herbal pastis.

By Arj on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 01:17 pm: Edit

Versinthe is too sweet on its own, but great to mix with. Try a splash of that in your Segarra: one tasty drink.

This thread seems as good a place as any to put this. Anyone see something strange? You have to look at it for awhile:

http://home.camelot.de/danielt/whatswrong.html

By Tabreaux on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 08:26 am: Edit

Versinthe is a liqueur d'anise that is now suddenly labeled "aux extraits de plantes d'absinthe" to make the product seem more attractive. Its thick, syrupy, sugary content no doubt causes an impressive insulin response.

L'amesinthe is virtually identical to Versinthe, yet is less aromatic. As such, the reason for the existence of this product is not obvious.

While one may consider these products to be "absinthe", I consider them to be relabeled "liqueurs d'anise", and everything about them far better fits the latter than the former.

By Sicboy13 on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 06:59 am: Edit

that site refers to *Absinthe,"the green Genie"*
Is this the version made for women?

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 06:20 am: Edit

Liquoristerie de provence

They call it absinthe but do not clearly state which kind of artemisia they use. They just say "two kind of wormwood"... The producer once told me there is some Artemisia absinthium in it. Is it true ? Who knows. For sure I don't get this little special fealing when drinking it. I do enjoy a glass with lots of water (6:1) and ice maybe about once a month. I consider it as a nice and special pastis.

I would like to taste their other products like Vermoise...

By Angryp on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 05:45 am: Edit

Don -

Hmmn... The manufacturer certainly claims Verisinthe is an absinthe. So does SC. Thought that the mugwort version of the drink was what is sold in North America. Verisinthe has the woody or earthy taste that seems to be associated with wormwood, but I'm hardly an expert.

If SC sold La Fee, I would be first in line to buy a bottle. Hopefully, they'll add it soon :). Being rather funds-challenged right now (ah, the vagaries of the internet industry!), my first La Blue experience will have to wait :(

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 03:45 am: Edit

Dear Angryp

Segarra is made from two herbs only, and has a following mostly because it is distilled and not just mixed from oils.

Mari Mayans is overwhelmingly star anise (even more so than most other Spanish brands -- Ibiza is a Spanish island -- and so much so that many people think it tastes like star anise alone. Maybe that's not so, but I must admit that anything else that should be there (like anise, fennel, wormwood) are very much in the background and obscured by the distinctive star anise.

Neither is much to compare Versinthe to. You will find that Versinthe (and Amersinthe) are not going to stand up well against any real absinthe. Try a good La Bleue, or La Fee, or come to a Jade pre-release tasting, and "the scabs will drop from your eyes".

Versinthe's maker claims that they make a wormwood free version for N.America and a 'true absinthe' version with wormwood is sold in Europe.

As always don't be fooled by smarmy labeling about "extract of absinthe plants" -- these are not A.absinthium at all, but are other Artemisia species such as mugwort and southernwood, this is an anachronism from the departed days when absinthe was still prohibited in most of Europe. ONLY A.absinthe is "absinthe" (grand wormwood). The products like Versinthe are really absinthe imitations.

By Timk on Wednesday, March 06, 2002 - 02:39 am: Edit

I wasnt keen on versinthe, it has a funny, unplesant aftertaste that I couldnt put my finger on, maybe ill have to retaste it

By Angryp on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 10:01 pm: Edit

I want to put in a good word for Verisinthe. In addition to Verisinthe, I've tried Segarra and MM and of the three, I liked Verisinthe the most.

In addition to anise and wormwood, it has a nice slightly minty taste. I found Verisinthe's taste much more interesting than Segarra's. The Segarra was good and certainly much better than MM (which I found almost undrinkable). I just found it rather dull. I don't drink absinthe to get drunk off the alcohol or intoxicated from the thujone, so I haven't found many reasons to re-open the bottle.

I'm looking forward to trying L'Amerisinthe, another absinthe made by the same distiller as Verisinthe.

By Baz on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 02:37 pm: Edit

huh-huh!

he said virgin

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 12:30 pm: Edit

Conner,

From SC don't forget NS55. I tend not to prefer higher alcohol (NS70 is 70% alcohol) absinthes and NS is no exception here, I'd order an NS55 instead of an extra Segarra. Apart from that Wolf's list is about right, personally I don't think Lasalla, Montana or Mari Mayans are worth the effort but then that's just my opinion, your opinion might be different.

Hobgoblin

By Tavarua on Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 11:25 am: Edit

"Once you will have tasted a really good absinthe like a good LaBleu or hausgematche, you won`t like those brands anymore."

That is a matter of opinion. While I agree that these are better products, it doesn't mean one will not enjoy Spanish now and again, especially if you are a fan of star anise. La Bleue now costs the same as ordering from SC, but I still like to have a little NS, and/or Segarra around.

By Wolfgang on Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 11:00 am: Edit

Here`s from SC for your discovery:

1*Deva 50
1*NS70
2*Segarra
1*Serpis65

It`s usually better to order 5 bottles (because of the shipping cost) so you should buy 2 bottles of Segarra because it`s a quality product and chances are you will like it the best. You can throw in a mini bottle of Montana too, it cost almost nothing and doesn`t increase the shipping cost.

Once you will have tasted a really good absinthe like a good LaBleu or hausgematche, you won`t like those brands anymore but for a begining, it`s not bad.

By Tavarua on Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 08:51 am: Edit

"Personally I think NS is very good indeed."

Agreed. In short, it carries much more of an herbal flavor, which is what absinthe is supposed to do. And it doesn't have that neon green glow that many of the others seem to have.

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 08:42 am: Edit

Deva and NS are definitely good brands to try first. The best thing to do in my opinion would be to order 1 bottle of every brand of absinthe carried by Spirits Corner( you'll probably end up doing this anyway and it's cheaper to get them all in 1 go than order 2 bottles here and 2 bottles there). Then you can decide on your own favourites. Personally I think NS is very good indeed.

Hobgoblin

By Heiko on Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 08:21 am: Edit

"what is a good, reasonably priced absinthe to begin this discovery journey with"

I'd say a bottle of NS and a bottle of Deva from SC (they send it wherever you want, except maybe Afghanistan and Iraque ;-) ) would be a good start with a very reasonable price.
Some might argue that Deva isn't good, but it is rather cheap and I think it is still something everybody should try.

From then on, order everything except all the dubious czech stuff, it really isn't worth it. If you want to know why, try Staroplzenecky - then you know why!!

By Drbeer on Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 06:23 am: Edit

I found the buyer's guide to be rather pointless reading when I was trying to choose my first brand. I got much better feedback asking questions here and reading past posts.

By Pikkle on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 04:22 pm: Edit

read the FAQ and the buyers guide

By Connermcc on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 04:07 pm: Edit

Greetings from New Zealand,

For a long time I have wanted to try this strange and beautiful drink, and now, as I am soon to go to Japan, it seems the perfect time (as I won't have access to any of my home brewed mead).
So, for a beginner, a virgin (of absinthe :-), what is a good, reasonably priced absinthe to begin this discovery journey with? And where to buy from, either to have it sent to NZ or Japan?

I could even, if absolutely necessary get one of my friends who is visiting the US a little later this year to get it in the States.

I know these are vague questions, the answers dependent on personal opinion....but thats exactly what i want- the honest opinion of enthusiasts. :-)

Thanks a lot
Pagan

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation