Archive through March 02, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru March 2002:Pot and Absinthe:Archive through March 02, 2002
By Dehe on Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 10:52 pm: Edit

or amsterdam(sic)

By Anatomist on Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 09:42 pm: Edit

Technically speaking, I think that narrows it down to India.

K.

By Destiny on Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 06:39 pm: Edit

You know, this thread is operating under the assumption that pot is illegal everywhere. Maybe pot is legal where Salspec lives and the negative stigma that we're imposing is really non-existant?

By Wolfgang on Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 11:02 am: Edit

I think you should remove that damn carpet out of the way.

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 02:37 am: Edit

Heiko,

"There is a dangerous interaction between drinking very much alcohol and then, after you got drunk, smoking pot. Not really dangerous, but bad for your carpet ;-)"

Great post. I love this post.

I have often suffered from this affliction. I now think the 2 substances should be indulged in seperately, especially if you like to get stuck into booze and just keep going.

Hobgoblin

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 02:32 am: Edit

Come on it's not like Salspec came on the forum saying absinthe is a powerful mind-altering drug that causes people to lose total control and run amok with machine guns through shopping malls or their place of work. (But hang on a minute have people never done such things tanked up on booze?).

He asked an honest question and his post had more than a grain of truth in it. This may have been discussed here before but Salspec wasn't around here when it was, I probably was but only vaguely remember such discussions. Anyway just because a question was asked before doesn't mean it should not be asked again (we'd soon run out of questions that way).

As for newcomers being expected to read and digest the FAQ and trial through archives before being permitted to post on the 'hallowed forum'. Well nonsense. I've never done more than glanced at the FAQ and only after I'd been posting here for a year and I'm not going to bore myself by trawling through archives, so why should newcomers do so?

Ask what you like and discuss any topic you like. If people tell you to fuck off then that's up to them and fair enough but it doesn't mean that you were wrong to ask the question.

Hobgoblin

By Louched_Liver on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 11:05 pm: Edit

L Bunghole,

Hmm, could bring relief. Put me down for a gross of each. And ship 'em stat!

Mebbe not so louched lookin' no mo',
L L

By Elbongo on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 09:09 pm: Edit

LL,

If I was in your condition, I wouldn't be caught without these handy aids.
Liver Helpers

By Louched_Liver on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 07:22 pm: Edit

Wolfgang,

Find me a life jacket for when Donster tosses me into the South China Sea.

Splish, splash,
LL

By Wolfgang on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 05:26 am: Edit

Ho boy! I'm away for a day or two and look what happen! ;-)

Hey Newbees, don't worry, we all love each other, really...Now where shall I jump into that familly brawl ?

By Dehe on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 10:04 pm: Edit

Anatomist I find that decorating my plaster helmet with about 45-50 small balls of C-4 also increases the rush quite a bit.

By Anatomist on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 09:24 pm: Edit

You know, if you really want to get a rush from absinthe, forget about the pot. The best way is to fill up 3 or 4 ziploc sandwich bags with your favorite abs (we veterans call it 'abs') and tape them to your head. Then you tape 10 or 12 sticks of dynamite on the outside of the abs bags. Now, if you're an newbie, I guess you can use incindiary fuses, but to be really cool, you're going to want to detonate the all the dynamite simultaneously - that means electronic control. Not only that, but do yourself a favor, and slather a couple 5 gallon buckets of plaster on the outside, and give it a few minutes to harden up, because the rush, I mean the real rush, comes when your skull implodes and the absinthe splashes directly onto your brain. I mean, a fraction of a second before you die, it's such a rush! Abs rules!

By Sicboy13 on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 09:20 pm: Edit

I agree with Robman, LL, and Don. However; This forum can turn sour quicker than a new love. But all in all, comparing absinthe with marijuana,synergy or not, is just plain stupid on this website..I mean, if you want to set yourself up for a brand new, size 24 poopchute, ask questions about illicit drugs and how well they go with your lovely absinthe...otherwise one can read the threads & forum rules & get a good idea of acceptable ettiquette. Maybe a question better asked in person than on a website anyone and everyone can access, news media and all!

By Robman on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 09:00 pm: Edit

Man! It gets rough on this forum!

I actually agree with the point that postings linking absinthe and illicit drugs is, practically speaking, a bad idea because anybody doing research on the subject is bound to find this forum (as I did), and, skimming through all the posts, might not take the time to consider that the synergy question could just as well have been between potato chips and absinthe, but rather report that absinthe "...reportedly has good 'synergy' with pot..." and would indeed give anyone who wants it ammo to blast absinthe.

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 11:01 am: Edit

Do I give a shit?

You aren't a contributor to this forum, you're a hanger-on, an absinthe groupie. As such you are welcome but, don't confuse yourself with someone whose presence or absence makes the slightest difference.

By Verawench on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 10:42 am: Edit

I'm not the only one.

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 10:22 am: Edit

What the fuss is about is that I do not care for druggie assholes coming on the forum and going on about their little pot parties.

Kallisti herself said, sometime back, that people are free to talk about drugs on the forum but only if what they have to say is "Absinthe isn't one, and isn't to be confused with one." That's a paraphrase, someone else will have to look up exactly what Admin said, or she can come here and restate it herself.

My position is not at all inconsistent with hers.

Mingling Absinthe and illegal drugs is as stupid on the forum as it is off the forum.

NOW: my participation in the forum long predates my involvement with the absinthe BUSINESS and I am not here to conduct BUSINESS. I am here to relax. My presence here is not a license for anyone to take a free shot at me, and anyone who does will be responded to in an appropriate manner.

For this I am being called a troll by little Miss Dalnet. Vera, whose main contribution to the forum in the recent past (before she 'quit') was an overly lengthy series of grunts and moans and sighs and bedspring noises in concert with Dr O. While slightly amusing, it was a waste of Kallisti's free electrons, not to mention bandwidth, and really didn't have much to do with absinthe, did it?

I might remind Vera, before Kallisti does, that troll is a highly specific term, and really does not apply.

I might also remind Vera that while others have been extremely rude to her, I never have. I did ask her to stop being a wench, once, but wench is her selfapplied descriptor.

At worst I might have been mildly rude to her, on occasion.

But if she wants to call me a troll, then, I will feel free to reply in any manner that I deem appropriate and in keeping with Kallisti's wonderful new policy of Hit and Run Warfare -- just no protracted battles.

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 10:06 am: Edit

Hellow Vera, and kiss my ass.

By Baz on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 09:29 am: Edit

I asked a question about hangovers earlier. Does that mean that I am going to cause some problem for all other absinthe drinkers? Will people take that to mean that all absinthe drinkers are going to drink until drunk then go to work hung over the next day?

We're all getting a little paranoid about our little universe here, loosen up...

By Verawench on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 09:19 am: Edit

LL isn't alone in his opinion.

It's high time this forum addressed its REAL troll problem.

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 08:03 am: Edit

Louched Liver thinks I ought to check a list of forumites and see where they stand on Jade, before I respond to their posts.

Be Nicey Nicey to the ones who like Jade even if they just shat on my head.

Well, wrong, LL. As usual.

As Ted recently said here, US sales do NOT represent a necessity for our profitibility.

In fact retail Internet sales are a pain in the ass compared to wholesale shipments of pallets.

We will make Jade available via Net sales as a convenience and a courtesy to those who want it. But logistically, it is a goat-screw.

LL, you don't want it, go stick your head up German Andy's ass. If you think one little bootlegger's fake La Bleue is any comparison to Jade, then you know less about absinthe than you do about nuclear engineering, and you ain't a nuclear engineer.

The only thing I'd like to throw in the South China Sea is...you.

By Don_Walsh on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 07:31 am: Edit

Fuck you too, LL. What have you ever done for the absinthe community -- except pule like a baby with cholic?

I put my money where my mouth is.

By Louched_Liver on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 08:53 pm: Edit

Don sez:
"The point is simply that there are people out there who want to portray absinthe in the wrong light"
And they do, and they always have, and what happens? Nada. How many of the people who are out there do you think read this? You really think it's that big a deal? I don't.

"Nobody is talking about pot and Pina Coladas, or pot and Black Russians, are they?"
Hell if I know for sure. But, knowing how dope smokers can be as passionate about their little hobby as absinthe drinkers, probably. And if they are? So what. Here, it's opinion spun out into cyberspace on a site that Google rates a 1.

"And LL, I REALLY need one more graceless nudge from you or anyone else about Jade, I really so, trust me." "so" is "do" I'm guessing. And if so, you have a ready made niche clamboring for product. As Pikkle had said, good move, piss 'em off. After I tried the samples Ted sent a year ago, I have sung the praises of Jade constantly since. And the Eduoard Pernod is the most complex absinthe I have tried. Amazing. But, it's just a memory. I can get Wolvie's almost as good stuff for $40/liter, minus the delivery charge. Just about what you claim it is worth. How about that.

"As if that is going to take one fucking minute off the wait."
Tell ya what, I don't care anymore. Throw it all in the South China Sea for real this time. I'll mail a nice, big, lightweight snow shovel to expedite the operation.

"Find a different song to sing."
I sing so many tunes here, which one do you want quashed?

"either way I could care less about you"
And I could NOT care less about you. Donny Boy. Time to look in the harsh mirror of reality. You are the resident troll here.

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 08:26 pm: Edit

LL, this isn;t about censorship. It's about common fucking sense. We do not need to have people come on here with "some friends came over last night and we blew some weed and wow there was synergy with the absinthe" bullshit.

It's a bad idea. I do not give a damn what people smoke, there are plenty places on the Net for them to talk about it (or coke or whatever) without doing so HERE.

Self restraint in the interest of the common good is not 'censorship'. Nobody appealed to Admin to delete any posts.

The point is simply that there are people out there who want to portray absinthe in the wrong light and to portray absinthe culture as part of 'poly-drug abuse'. Nobody is talking about pot and Pina Coladas, or pot and Black Russians, are they?

That idiot Sal is more likely to get a "bad reaction" from mixing grass and his favorite after shave lotion, than from absinthe. What a moron!

And LL, I REALLY need one more graceless nudge from you or anyone else about Jade, I really so, trust me. As if that is going to take one fucking minute off the wait. Find a different song to sing, or just shut the fuck up, either way I could care less about you.

By Louched_Liver on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 07:42 pm: Edit

Just popped back in here and see things have escalated to hysteria for a tad for no apparent reason. I blew this thread off because it is so inocuous.
Don, you want no censorship as long as it applies to you layin' it out. And made no small point of it whilst insulting Kallisti. And I'm on your side. As long as there is no censorship at all. So what if someone wants to know if weed and absinthe go together in someone's opinion? What, exactly is going to happen from this? You thought that piece of shit on WNBC was going to be a big thing. And what happened? Nothing. I live in the viewing area, and am well known to all who know me as an absinthe drinker, and even alerted people to the bit, and nobody saw it. You go on about how it isn't a problem to import it for personal use, and isn't illegal anyway, so...? Plus, you misconstrued the intent from the get go. Chill the fuck out and get us some damn Jade we can buy.

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 07:22 pm: Edit

Yes, but. Nothing that's ready to be broadcast, yet.

By Destiny on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 06:56 pm: Edit

Note: I'm bringing this up as a historical curiosity only.

Regarding the "fantasy numbers" of vintage absinthe, hasn't anyone done a test on a vintage product(s) to get the facts?

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 06:48 pm: Edit

In the 19th century, seperation science as we know it today was in its infancy. Still, a large amount of wormwood could be steam distilled to produce the essential oil, and that oil could be vacuum distilled, or treated in a variety of other way to produce a number of pure compounds, of which thujone's isomers are two.

This is a long, tedious, laborious process, compared to modern instrumental methods.

Thujone in fact was shown, in the 19th century, to be identical with several other compounds isolated from the essential oils of other herbs, shrubs, and trees, and which were assigned other names at first.

The process of elucidating the structure of a 'new' (at the time) natural product, is a fascinating process of chemical detective work. You've got to work out the empirical formula, the number of carbons versus hydrogens, oxygen, etc., correctly, and then see how the substance behaves, characterizing derivitives, and observing reactions.

Ultimately when you think you know the structure, you then try to build it synthetically, and if you succeed in making an identical molecule, unambiguously, then you have confirmed the structure.

As to how the EU does thujone assays, well, the answer is, questionably, that's how.

By Heiko on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 06:31 pm: Edit

"How was thujone singled out as the "bad guy" in the first place? [...] How did they identify it back in the day?"

I don't think thujone was ever identified in absinthe back in the day. It was singled out as the bad guy because scientists were looking for possibly dangerous substances in any of the ingredients of absinthe. When someone found thujone in wormwood, the anti-absinthe activists had a substance that was described as being dangerous. That was what they had been looking for, nobody cared about the amount of thujone in absinthe (that's why we only have these fantasy numbers of thujone in vintage absinthe).

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 06:31 pm: Edit

And Sal, "and this is no way a threat", you'd best find out who I am before you decide you are ready to step up to the mark. Tough guy, huh? Well, fuck you, tough guy. I have tough guys for snacks, in between hearty meals of Really Bas Asses. Pot smoking dipshits don't enter into it.

You just made it back to being a druggie asshole.

By Destiny on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 06:01 pm: Edit

How was thujone singled out as the "bad guy" in the first place? In this technological day and age, I keep hearing that it is extremely difficult, at best, to get an accurate thujone reading. How did they identify it back in the day? How are they monitoring the <10% limits in the EU since it's such a bitch to get a good reading?

By Salspec on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 06:00 pm: Edit

;-)

By Salspec on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 05:57 pm: Edit

Well…I never would have guessed (nor intended) my post would initiate such opinions. I am a “newbee” whose small bag of questions I have saved for the most informed. My apologies If I have offended anyone. The purpose of my question was simple. I just wanted to know if there was a dangerous interaction between pot, and absinthe. That’s all.

It seems that some readers of my post have grossly misconstrued my question as a statement, or at the least an association between pot, and absinthe. AN ASSOCIATION TO WHICH THERE IS NONE!

I’d be hard pressed to find somewhere a group of “prohibitionists” out to do away with Betty Crocker’s super moist brownie mix. After all there might be a dangerous interaction between pot and brownies…

If in fact absinthe is “now 100% legal in almost everyplace in the world” (a fact to which I hope is true). Then I highly doubt my meager question, which was solely directed to the informed elite (all of you) will give just cause to any “prohibitionist” out to do away with the fairy.

And Don,

It seems from your available information that you are quite the who’s who of this forum. Had it not been for my post, I never would have known of your existence. But, somehow my question dealt a firm blow to your resolve. Trust me…that wasn’t my intent. Again, I am just a one person that at a certain point of time desired the right answer to his question. Invectives like the ones you dispensed should be saved for the right moments, like Christmas, and family reunions (pun intended). Use your knowledge to emancipate indiscriminately, not divide. History can illuminate the “fact” that there is nothing worst than the wrong answer to an honest question.

PS. Thanks for the additional info. On a separate note, (and this is in no way a threat) unless you really know the person your addressing “boots” are best used for walking…

Thanks,

Sal

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 02:32 pm: Edit

Thanks guys. And I am inclined to withdraw my 'stupid druggie' remark as ill considered.

As to the thujone vs THC hypothesis, this was speculation by a grad student on a college chem dept website. Maybe this wasn't the only such speculation about a common receptor site for the two, maybe others exist in the print lit. or on the Web, I dunno. But I think it was a scientist and not a hack newsie who came up with the idea.

It does not bear scrutiny, there is no common receptor site, and the chemical similarity is distant. No one has suggested that menthol or camphor or pinene have a common mode of action with cannabinols, and no one as far as I know has suggested that cannabinols are mild convulsants.

For that matter, the case for thujone being the principle, or sole, or even part of the mild so called secondary effects of Absinthe, is far from an air tight one. There is just as much reason to think that it might be anethole, which is present in larger amounts. There is just as much reason to speculate that it is undiscovered complex compounds, or a synergy of several compounds, or that the secondary effects are (sorry) wishful thinking.

What is CLEAR is that there is an awful lot of good old ethanol in there.

And that is why Ted and I and others like to de-focus on thujone. Poor thujone! Mommy rubs it on our chests when we have a cold, and on our tired muscles when they ache, and it protects our winter clothes in summertime in the cedar chest. And what thanks do we give it for this homely and prosaic role in our lives? Put it in alcohol, and demonize the hell out of it! Like there's thujone, the good guy, and his evil twin sister Baddy Thujona the Gonzo Goblin.

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 12:34 pm: Edit

The killing of the absinthe myth and hoax is a crusade we should battle through education. Don is a veteran in this long battle, maybe he's just a little tired of always killing the same hoax again and again.

What is the original source of the thujone vs THC myth again ? It was just a stupid journalist who saw some similarities in the molecular model and draw is own uneducated conclusion right ?

Anyway, please, if you'r a newbee, read the damn FAQ before asking questions on the forum.

By Joalco on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 08:42 am: Edit

That perhaps, I can understand. Perhaps then the original poster should edit his post, and if this needs to be continued, it should be done privately. I certainly don't mind editing my post...

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 08:36 am: Edit

It's an 'honest question' that ought not to have been asked.

This has been discussed many many times: it is not in our interests (ALL OF US) to comingle the topics of absinthe, and recreational drugs.

It plays into the hands of the prohibitionists and helps perpetuate the worst of the lies about absinthe.

This is not a free speech issue, it's a mutual self interest issue.

By Joalco on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 08:26 am: Edit

Don,

Nowhere in this thread has *anyone* said *anything* to the effect of absinthe being a drug.

And just so everyone knows,

ABSINTHE IS NOT A DRUG. IT IS AN HERBAL LIQUOR, SIMILAR IN MANY WAYS TO THE LEGAL-AND-AVAILABLE CHARTREUSE...

Do you think if someone (in another forum) had asked what the dangers of interaction between, say, marijuana and vodka, or marijuana and beer, would have elicited the same response?

I can, to an extent, understand your reaction, however, I think you should calm down a bit. We're not talking about Terminus or TimK or anyone else you've gotten into a pissing contest with. We're talking about what appears to be an honest question.

Call off the dogs. No one (other than people with little or no tact *or* reason) has jumped your case when you've discussed topics of questionable legality, and I don't see this as being much different.

This isn't a front or an attack, merely my $0.02, adjusted for inflation.

By Don_Walsh on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 07:55 am: Edit

Why don't you go discuss this on the NORML forum or somewhere?

We are doing our best to make the point that absinthe is not a drug, controlled substance, etc., it is a frigging LIQUOR. In fact it is now 100% legal in almost everyplace in the world.

So along comes this druggie asshole and rains on our parade.

Would you care for a dangerous synergy with my boot?

By Pablo on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 12:23 am: Edit

Whaaat?

Pot? Do you mean marajuana?

But....but thats illegal!

(pablo trying to remember the number for 911)

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 03:39 pm: Edit

yeah... and like chasin the dragon too... yeah...

By Heiko on Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 03:34 pm: Edit

There is a dangerous interaction between drinking very much alcohol and then, after you got drunk, smoking pot.
Not really dangerous, but bad for your carpet ;-)

By Pikkle on Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 03:29 pm: Edit

Nah, I've been snorting oxycontin and pcp with my Segarra for years now... there's nothing wrong with me...

GOD PLEASE MAKE THEM STOP LAUGHING AT MY KNEES!!!

By Joalco on Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 03:27 pm: Edit

I wouldn't worry about any dangerous interactions. The two do some to have a wonderful synergy (if you're cannabis-friendly), and I've never had any sort of adverse reaction.

Some people on this forum have suggested mixing Deva with another absinthe, mostly Sebor, Segarra, or NS, to tone down on the taste.

When I first started ordering absinthe regularly, Deva was one of the standby's. However, in this day and age, I rarely even order it, especially with the new higher shipping rates at SC. I missed out on the Old Way, but my favorite from SC would have to be Segarra.

And Wolvie's products are, if I may say so, tha bee'z kneez, yo.

By Salspec on Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 03:21 pm: Edit

Well...some of you may have a recollection (that is if the Thujone hasn't taken it) of my last entry. You know, "WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST". Well anyway, I have now tasted the "fairy", and oh my there is something different there.

But, the next day...some friends of mine came over with some pot. WOW, there was definatly a synergy there!

What I want to know (maybe some of you know), is there a danger in the interaction I should know about? And I've been drinking the Deva, how can I tone down the anise flavor?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation