Newbie.

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru March 2002:Newbie.
By Larsbogart on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 07:42 am: Edit

[Insert Betty accolades.]
-larsbogart

By Don_Walsh on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 10:36 pm: Edit

And BTW ordering absinthe for your personal use, as opposed to resale, is not "ehgaging in the business" as an importer per ATF. There is some point where an order large enough might trigger a demand by Customs to obtain an ATF import license, but, in practice no one we have heard of has run into this problem. And obviously, if it came to this, AYF would not issue such a license for absinthe.

As far as we know there has not been an absinthe prosecution in the US for decades.

That can't be said for engaging in the business of selling alcohol in interstate commerce without a Federal license.

There are also aggressive State law enforcement agencies out their wprried about loss of revenue, that the domestic sellers seem to be bliddfully ignorant about. Sales tax on mail order sales. Having a mail order business without a license. ABC officials. All of that. The 50 state revenue departments can't collect sales tax from a mail order operation in a foreign country but they can and they do collect sales tax from mail order businesses within the USA, even though they don't reside within those states. The estimate for the accounting for support of such out of state sales tax efforts is $25,000 per year per state.

Yes, it is the state resident who really owes the sales tax, but the states go after the sellers out of state, and drag them through the courts. All this is probably unconstitutional -- but the states have already set up an appeal to the Congress to enact laws requiring the FEDERAL government to collect state sales taxes from "distance sellers" -- mail order and e-commerce vendors -- once the SCOTUS declares their targeting of such sellers to be against the law. All that is years away, but my point it, domestic resellers are NOT covered in Teflon. They are way more liable than foreign sellers like SC, for the simple reason that they are onshore and SC and the like, are not.

Betina is a psychologist, not a lawyer. And it is obvious.

By Crowlyman on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 10:25 pm: Edit

sorry about that. But thanx.

By Don_Walsh on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 10:16 pm: Edit

Yeah. They want to sell their olive oil.

We do not discuss details of the shipping strategies of specific vendors. Pls drop your line of inquiry. People might misconstrue your intent.

By Don_Walsh on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 10:13 pm: Edit

You certainly wouldn't be paying for "safety" by buying from a domestic seller, for the simple reason that any domestic seller (and not just Betina) is breaking a whole bunch of federal laws, having nothing to do with absinthe, and that are taken a WHOLE lot more seriously by the government than are absinthe regs under FDA or mailing liquor into the US by post, or shipping by common carrier.

These are laws pertaining to "engaging in the business" of selling alcoholic beverages without payment of the required tax stamp to IRS and licernsing by ATF. THAT is a huge no no felony and while no one is likely to show up with a warrant for your arrest as a BUYER, they might well do so as a means of obtaining evidence after a controlled delivery, and you might be a material witness. Sound like fun?

Betina goes around blowing smoke about the (actually nonexistant) "Dangers" of ordering absinthe from overseas as a way of justifying her bullshit prices. But she is silent about the fact that she and anyone else who resells liquor (not just absinthe) in USA without a federal license, is breaking a whole lot of laws that someone shipping absinthe to the US is not breaking. The ATF does not license exporters to the US, it licenses importers into the US, and wholesalers and retailers within the US, and it is bloody well serious about stomping on anyone who does not comply.

By Crowlyman on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 10:07 pm: Edit

I see. Thanks Destiny. ummm, whats NS? Also, I noticed at sc that they have some sort of special where you buy a bottle of ab and get a bottle or 2 of olive oil...is there any reason for this?

By Destiny on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 09:44 pm: Edit

Hi ya Crowleyman! The gentleman pirate speaks he truth.

I'd suggest a bottle of regular Deva or NS70 and a bottle of Segerra. I think that those two would be good examples of the difference in Spanish flavor. Someone already provided the link below. You could also go domestic with Betina but it will cost ya about twice the price. Domestic delivery would probably be a couple of days versus a couple of weeks. When buying domestic, you're paying for convenience, not for "safety".

By Crowlyman on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 09:43 pm: Edit

Thanks alot. I've had these questions for sometime now, but had to get off my lazy arse to ask them!(or is that ON my lazy arse...?)

Is spiritscorner located in the US? I have seen a link before to a US absinthe shop but i cant find it now. Is it better to buy from a domestic source? And could you point my nose that way?

By _Blackjack on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 02:34 pm: Edit

Just to be clear, there is prety muc ZERO chance of a warrant-fisted officer showing up on your door. Importing absinthe, per se, is not a crime, just a violation of FDA regulations. Sending any alcohol through the US mail is TECHNICALLY a crime, but unless you ae doing it on a large scale, the only thing that might happen is confiscation.

Why would packages containing absinthe be opened and searched? Well, any package crossing the border is subject to search by various agencies. They may pick some at random, or there may be some specific thing (like a sloshing sound) which makes them flag it. The only opened packages reported recently were actually checked by the USDA, which means they were looking for produce or meats, not liquor.

Honestly, nobody really cares about absinthe and 99% of the agents checking packages wouldn't know what it was anyway. They are more concerned about drugs and produce and Cuban cigars. The absolute worst-case is that you will get a letter from Customs saying your package is being held and asking you to provide documentation of what it is and whether you can legally bring it in. If you ignore it, they dispose of the package and that's that.

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 01:03 pm: Edit

Crowlyman,

I suggest you should try

http://www.spiritscorner.com

In my opinion Deva, NS, Segarra, Serpis (be warned it is red in colour) are all good brands. But don't pass on any of the others (Montana, Lasalla, Mari Mayans) until you've tried them.

Hobgoblin

By Admin on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 11:58 am: Edit

purchasing absinthe is not illegal as long as you don't get caught.

By Crowlyman on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 11:57 am: Edit

OK im a newbie. I have been reading around the forum and want to know a few things. And if I say or ask something wrong just tell me! I dont intend to step on toes...
So from what I understand, purchasing absinthe is NOT illegal as long as ...what? This is what i dont understand. Why would packages containing absinthe be opened and searched? (this according to a couple of posts i've read regarding importing of absinthe)
Do I need to fear a warrant-fisted officer showing up at my door if I continually order?
I began to get interested in absinthe when a buddy of mine tried hi and low to get us some. He had had it before and wanted me to try it. He has since moved away but I am still incredibly intrigued!
Finally, what is a good beginners absinthe and where would I get it?

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation