Absinthe in movies...

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru March 2002:Absinthe in movies...
By Verdigris_Harpy on Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 06:33 pm: Edit

That you peeled all the skin off your
legs,or that it was creepy? ;)

Nair can do that,too!(And it smells creepy.)

By Tavarua on Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 06:22 pm: Edit

"It was the other cop though.Michael Rooker.
And he said it was a guy who peeled all the
skin off his legs.Still pretty creepy."

Hey, that's what I said.

By Illequipped on Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 01:59 pm: Edit

Facets.org has it too, and most of their films are also for rent. Check out two films by Jean Renoir (son of THAT Renoir, who probably was an absinthe imbiber too): A Day in the Country (Une partie de campagne) and French Cancan. In the latter, Jean Gabin performs the sugar ritual correctly. Johnny Depp, please take note.

By Thegreenimp on Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 01:00 pm: Edit

Tha Affairs of Anatol is available on video tape & DVD.......www.moviesunlimited.com is a good source for video.
Jay

By Verdigris_Harpy on Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 12:04 pm: Edit

Yep.It was the other cop though.Michael Rooker.
And he said it was a guy who peeled all the
skin off his legs.Still pretty creepy.

But the main character's reaction to absinthe is not of that variety,although there is some
iffiness about absinthe & seisures,but I think that is part of the schemin going on in the
storyline.....not necessarily "real".....

Face peeling takes place in those charming movies
with Anthony Hopkins . ;)

By Tavarua on Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 11:44 am: Edit

"For those who pay attention,it will be clear
absinthe is not a bad fairy in this film."

Except for the part where Penn tells Roth that the last person he saw drink a bottle of absinthe peeled his face off.

By Verdigris_Harpy on Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 05:09 am: Edit

Is that one available for sale? The entire
thing is very intriguing.The name of the
character alone,and the set sounds like a
Dali/Mexican Day of the Dead celebration come alive.

Can you direct me to a place to purchase?

Thanking in advance,

V

By Thegreenimp on Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 10:51 pm: Edit

An Interesting movie with a rather unique Absinthe scene is an old silent film called "The Affairs of Anatol", starring Wallace Reid & Bebe Daniels, c.1921.
The Absinthe scene is set in Bebe Daniels (Madam Satan Synne) apt. (you have to see the set, to believe it.).........there is an intricate trapeze type rig that has a bottle of Absinthe, with a pour nozzle, that allows the bottle to be inverted to drip into the glass.......there were absinthe spoons and sugar tablets, but the glasses were champagne types.......during the scene Wallace Reid gets up and looks into a mirror and his image is reflected back a skeleton holding a glass of Absinthe.....one of the more unusual Absinthe scenes.
Fascinating movie for it's day, the neo-goth sets for Madam Satan Synne's apartment have to be seen to believed.

By Verdigris_Harpy on Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 07:42 pm: Edit

I recommend Deceiver with Tim Roth,Chris Penn,
Michael Rooker,and Renee Zelwegger,and Rosanna Arquette.Not to mention Ellen Burstyn as she has never been seen before.

It is not soaked in absinthe,but absinthe is one of the threads in this gordian knot of a film,
where good may be bad and bad may be good,
and "through and through" is an answer to a
question I will not pose and ruin the spooky fun.

For those who pay attention,it will be clear
absinthe is not a bad fairy in this film.

Tim Roth should have gotten an Oscar for his performance in this one,as should the entire
film.

Set in South Carolina.A nice little movie
for a steamy night.Be awake and alert
for this one.

By Chevalier on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 02:56 pm: Edit

Vive Fernandel! And while we're at it, ¡Viva Cantinflas!

By Petermarc on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 01:55 pm: Edit

for an absinthe-soaked (almost) old film, there's the 1932 'les gaîtés de l'escadron' with the great french stars, raimu and fernandel...the captain is a regular absinthe-hound and there are two good scenes with him preparing an abs...unfortunately, the film is rather boring and not really that funny...but, hey! there's absinthe! an ironic note: the régiment is number 51, which is a phophetic look ahead to pastis pernod '51' which was created 19 years later(after the film), and named after the year...(the film is based on the 1880's or 90's, i believe)
gaîtés

By Rimbaud on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 12:40 pm: Edit

Yeah, I watched Jean de Florette as well recently. The aforementioned drinking scenes, for some reason, struck me as involving pastis rather than absinthe. Then I read the box (which says it takes place in France after WWI) and my suspicions were confirmed! A-ha!

~21st Century Rimbaud

By Admin on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 08:09 am: Edit

Absinthe also makes a cameo appearance in a wonderful little film called "Isabelle Eberhardt" about the famous female adventurer & journalist who spent much time and died in Algeria around 1900. I recommend the film.

By Petermarc on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 02:00 am: Edit

it is staged in the early 20's...marcel pagnol's stories are awash in pastis...interestingly enough, i was in marseille last weekend and was skimming through my family's collection of pagnol books, looking for absinthe references, but with a short search, couldn't find any...there were great B&W photos from the early 'fanny' series movies, where the action is staged in a marseille old-port bar...carafes, a very nice spoon-vase (with only normal spoons in it) and the gang playing cards over a pernod fils card-rug...no absinthe...for modern pastis-drinkers, the knowledge of absinthe in marseille is very limited, if at all...it's history was really lost down there after WWI...

By Malhomme on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 07:43 pm: Edit

Wolfgang, that may have been me that told of the scene. I know, at least that I mentioned it here. I'm glad someone remembered and saw the scenes. I just got the movies on DVD this week, but haven't had a chance to view them yet. The small glasses that I remember were chope yvonnes and "mummifiers". The thing I like best is just as you poited out-- their casual nature about it. Just a group of workingclass blokes, chasing the provencal heat with a few glasses of abs.

-malhomme

By Chevalier on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 01:39 pm: Edit

I believe that "Jean de Florette" takes place after the First World War. The early- to mid- 1920s?

By Wolfgang on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 01:19 pm: Edit

A long time ago someone told us there was an absinthe reference in the movie Jean de Florette... I saw it a long time ago when I knew nothing about absinthe and I saw it again yesterday. There's three scenes where we clearly see them drinking absinthe. In the first scene, we saw some of them drinking green, yellow or white absinthe. We even clearly see one of the main character pouring water in a nice looking La Bleu (beautifull bluish louche!). They drink it casually out of small glass. In one of the scene we even see a bottle. They don't talk about it and never name it. It's just there in the background.

In the sequel (Manon des sources), which is about 10 years later, they are drinking pastis (they call it pastis 1 or 2 time in the movie).

It's difficult to date the action in the first movie. I couldn't stop the movie to take the time to clearly identify the bottle (I think it's Pernod but maybe it's just an early pernod pastis, not sure)If someone have the proper equipment to do it, it would be nice to "scan" those scene to jpg and post it here. Do we have a multimedia maniac forumit around to do it ? It would help to identify the glass and the bottle.

Anyway, those are great movies...

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation