Archive through March 05, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru March 2002:Wolvie's la bleue... :Archive through March 05, 2002
By Destiny on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 05:16 pm: Edit

I have a bag of magic beans, anyone up for a trade?

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 04:16 pm: Edit

Yup, Aion, I still have that Kg of licorice root.

By Baz on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 12:20 pm: Edit

I think it's funny to look at the history of prohibition and see how the temperance movement women would all repair to the parlor for a tonic. Of course the "tonic" was grain alcohol impregnated with opium.

It's a good thing they were able to rid the world of evils, eh?

I like crowley's remarks regarding prohibitionists. perfect

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 11:28 am: Edit

No Jade's Laudanum ? ;)

By Baz on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 10:12 am: Edit

NO OPIUM!?!?!?!?!?!?

damn.

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 08:43 am: Edit

Hey, I'll give you two more trade secrets. There's no human excrement used in Jade either, and no opium at all.

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 07:48 am: Edit

"Don, you just unveiled one trade secret, no coriander used in Jade absinthes!"

Wow, this is news to me.

By Wolfgang on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 07:38 am: Edit

"useless" ? why do you say so ?

Maybe useless to reproduce vintage absinthes but I don't see why it couln't be used in new recipes.

Anyway, I really don't use much, if you really want to get rid of those, 1 kg would be more than enough for an eternity of hausgematching.

By Aion on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 05:35 am: Edit

And I thought coriander leaves are
quite common in Asian cuisine.
A.

By Aion on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 05:33 am: Edit

Oops,
Don, you just unveiled one trade
secret, no coriander used in Jade
absinthes!
Do you still have that kilogram
of licorice root??
A.

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 04:16 am: Edit

Wolf, how many Kg of coriander seeds would you like? I have maybe 20 that I am never going to use, and my wife is not going into the biltong business.

I have never seen coriander offered except as the seed.

It is common here.

It is approximately USELESS for absinthe.

By Pantagruel on Tuesday, March 05, 2002 - 03:24 am: Edit

NO MORE GREEN AVAILABLE FROM WOLVIES. Alas, alas, but for how long? Perhaps the length of a sentence?

P

By Destiny on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 09:30 pm: Edit

Coriander? I didn't get that at all, you guys are like bloodhounds! I'll have to pour up another glass - just for research, of course.

By Louched_Liver on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 09:59 am: Edit

Coriander! Sounds about right.

By Wolfgang on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 09:34 am: Edit

I think NS taste of coriander oil. The only problem is it taste like leaf of coriander, which is odd. Seeds are way tastier, same for angelica.

By Louched_Liver on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 09:20 am: Edit

Dag nab it!

Use gobshite00@hotmail.com

By Tavarua on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 09:17 am: Edit

double dwibble.

By Tavarua on Monday, March 04, 2002 - 09:16 am: Edit

LL,
You're email's not working Poncho.

By Destiny on Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 09:09 pm: Edit

Yikes, I'll wake up next to a troll clutching an empty bottle of Deva!

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 06:33 pm: Edit

Dester,

Destiny sez:
"I guess after a couple of glasses I wasn't as discriminating. (That seems to happen quite often.)" Yeah, there's definitely that. Hate 'em until ya start packin' 'em away. Then they really don't start to taste so bad. Kind of like beer goggles for your tastebuds.

By Destiny on Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 11:44 am: Edit

Definitely tasted the anise blast from the NS70, but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. As long as the water is very cold I can deal with the Spanish brands.

I guess after a couple of glasses I wasn't as discriminating. (That seems to happen quite often.)

;-)

By Louched_Liver on Sunday, March 03, 2002 - 01:25 am: Edit

I bet the N.S. 70 tasted pretty thick, hot, and overwhelming in comparison.

Been there, choked down that,
Elly Elly

By Destiny on Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 06:32 pm: Edit

I just had a glass of both the LaBleue and the Green and like them even better than my first taste. It almost seemed as if these were completely drinks, they seem even smoother than before and strangely, I didn't get the Clown taste in the La Bleue this time. I'm gonna try a glass of NS 70 and see how that tastes now.

Got some Bowie playing and feeling good. I love you guys...

By Drbeer on Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 03:18 pm: Edit

I wouldn't say at any point it was really numbing.
I do not think that the anise is as strong as you think I was implying. I said that after a bit more tasting the licorice taste (not really licorice, just the closest thing) broke down into many different flavors. There was a VERY mild spicy/burning sensation, but by no means overpowering. It was in fact very pleasant.

By Wolfgang on Saturday, March 02, 2002 - 11:05 am: Edit

"If you havn't tried it, what leads you to think it's full of star anis? "

Because of the described louche and taste.

Star anis make great louche but have a numbing taste. If you use too much it's almost burning your tongue with it's powerfull anis taste.

By Louched_Liver on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 07:36 pm: Edit

Mr. Lager,

I enjoyed your review because it was like a diary of the moment. I was having flashbacks-BUT ABSINTHE IS, NEVER WAS, AND NEVER WILL BE CONSIDERED AN ILLICIT DRUG, SO HELP ME GOD. THIS A NONDRUG REFERENCE.-of my 1st tangle w/Wolvie's product.

By Timk on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 03:55 pm: Edit

"A comparison will be lots of fun and very educational, I'm sure."

maybe not so fun in the morning

By Timk on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 03:38 pm: Edit

"A comparison will be lots of fun and very educational, I'm sure."

maybe not so fun in the morning

By Destiny on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 03:04 pm: Edit

Okay, the Green has been unleashed. DrBeer's review has set a standard with which I cannot compete, so just accept this as a stream of consciousness footnote.

First off, the louche seems very different to me than the Spanish brands. This one doesn't louche immediately, it just seems to develop slowly - interesting to watch, almost magical. Spicier, hotter on the tongue than the LaBleue, also seems like there's a little more alcohol. There's almost a candy-ish flavor, sometimes it seems like a "butterscotchy taste" (slightly reminiscent of Segerra) but also has the flavor of black licorice. The anis aroma and taste still dominate, but overall it's well balanced. I think I'm catching a little mint, perhaps some citrus as well - slightly bitter, like lemon peel. Strange, I'm not picking up the Clown flavor. I can kinda *smell* it as I move in for a sip, but I'm not tasting it as strongly as I was with the LaBleue. I had lunch not that long ago so I don't have an empty stomach, but at half a glass I'm feeling kinda groovy. One medium lump of sugar was added.

Having never tried vintage or Jade, I'm very happy with BEL's recent announcement. A comparison will be lots of fun and very educational, I'm sure.

By Morriganlefey on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 02:48 pm: Edit

DrB -

I especially liked that you did a "play-by-play" of the flavour differences as you increased the water ratio. I don't think anyone else has posted that to date, and it is VERY much worth taking note of. Newbs might be inclined to think more water=weaker flavor, but I think your post here sheds light that that is not necessarily so!

Bravo et merci!

- M

By Drbeer on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 01:22 pm: Edit

I shall get some sugarcubes tonight and hopefully get another play by play review up! Should be fun!

By Destiny on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 12:34 pm: Edit

Ah, using that fancy learnin', huh? Readin' and a writin' are tools of the devil, don't ya know?

Okay, that's it - I'm breaking out the Green for a little lunch time taste!

By _Blackjack on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 11:27 am: Edit

Wolvie's page says the Bleue has star anise, but the Green uses only real anise.

By Destiny on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 10:30 am: Edit

Wolfgang, I'm curious. If you havn't tried it, what leads you to think it's full of star anis?

By Wolfgang on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 05:39 am: Edit

Yes, even if you don't have any cubes, just dump some sugar in it and stir.

Anyway, it seems to me that this absinthe is full of Star anis... Anyway, I will wait until the NYC GT to taste it...

By Zman7 on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 05:16 am: Edit

I think you will find that sugar will improve the taste and experience greatly. Maybe try it sugared and post another review?

By Drbeer on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 03:05 am: Edit

You liked my description? I look back now and find it to be rather drab.
Thank you for the compliment though!

By Louched_Liver on Friday, March 01, 2002 - 02:44 am: Edit

Dr. B,

Well done lad.

By Hopester on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 09:33 pm: Edit

hey, thanks for that very interesting assessment, dr. beer. it was vivid and descriptive. i'm still a newbie, so it's nice to live vicariously through other peoples' experiences. maybe one day i will be able to post my own.

By Drbeer on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 09:06 pm: Edit

not much left to say
I've got a solid buzz
I taste cinnamon in the drink as well.
Some other spices.
Definitely a lot more in the way of spice type flavoring. It's kind of like the licorice taste has broken itself down into lots of different spices. Very interesting!
I don't know if I'm in love with the drink yet. I need to try it with sugar!

By Robman on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 08:48 pm: Edit

Keep up with the play by play - I am very interested in this account.

By Drbeer on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 08:10 pm: Edit

Now that I think about it there is some cinnamon in the taste too.

I'm talking to myself here I think I had better stop hehe

By Drbeer on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 08:00 pm: Edit

Ok secondaries are interesting... it's kind of a mixed sensation with the alcholol. Ever so slightly light-headed, with an obvious alcholol buzz, but I seem very focused on absolutely nothing!

By Drbeer on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 07:56 pm: Edit

Man I've ogt a buzz going on right now!

By Drbeer on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 07:50 pm: Edit

Sorry if this isn't too organized. It is a running commentary...

Ok my first experience with high quality (as good as I can attain anyway) absinthe. I'll use layman terminology since I don't think anything I know about wines will apply here. If anyone can tell me what I am tasting/smelling based on my descriptions I would be very thankful.

The smell was strong, almost exotic. Very strong smell of black licorice (closest thing I can think of, though side by side the absinthe would NOT be confused in any way with black licorice). If you wait a bit you can smell somethign earthy and sweet in there, as well as a very faint hint of mint. There are other scents floating around in it but that's what I can detect the most.

The taste straight was.... unexpected. The smell gives your mind an impression of what to expect, but it doesn't turn out that way, at least not immediately. The first taste was that of a warm liquid. After that the licorice taste hits, but it is a bit subdued. You can taste something a little bit earthy and sweet. Maybe a hint of mint in there. Almost immediately after you put it into your mouth it kind of has a drying effect. Much like that of a good Merlot, but instead of staying on your tongue and palate like Merlot it slides down your throat and you feel more than taste anything. Then you get a very light, somewhat pleasant aftertaste of the licorice.

I have no sugarcubes on hand, so this is done without sugar (duh).

The louche is fun! I used ice cold, filtered water. Each drop hits then seems to swim around the glass before settling at the bottom in an ever growing lake of milky white. The water seems extremely dense compared to the absinthe. That is, it falls to the bottom of the glass VERY quickly. Overall, it is almost like watching a science experiment. As it louches the aroma changes a little. The licorice smell is still forefront, but weaker and the other scents start to come out a bit more... a bit more of the earth scent. As the libation nears a 1:1 ratio the milky water seems to take over the entire glass, until the whole concoction is the milky white color. It is also becoming quite opalescent as I add more water. At a 1:1 ratio the taste changes quite a bit. Definitely less of the licorice and more of the earth bits. I must say it tastes much better with water than straight... hmm maybe that's why it's always mixed with water... hehehe Anyway, there are other flavors starting to appear now. I need another small sip to be sure! Mmmmm, very interesting taste. The licorice is still center stage, but there is a bit of mint now. Very little though. As you tilt the glass back the mixed absinthe seems to hang onto the sides of the glass, making for a very interesting effect as you drink. Now to a 2:1 ratio...
The louche appears to be complete. Totally white. An interesting effect, as the whiteness isn't solid. You can see into it but it's as if there were no depth. Opaque isn't the word, nor is opalescent. I've got a large vocabulary and the only word I can think of is infinte. It's like you can see forever into the glass, but it is all cloudy white. The smell changes even more. Still strong licorice, but even more of the earth. Some other fragrances hiding in there as well but I can't identify them and they aren't strong enough for a description. Taste also changes quite a bit. Less of the licorice, more of the earth. The licorice is still the prevalent flavor. The aftertaste is nice. A cool, almost minty flavor on the middle of the tongue. After a minute the aftertaste moves more towards the licorice flavor.
3:1 the smell hasn't changed much. Still the licorice up front, no weaker than at 2:1. However, the other smells are stronger. More earth. Also the smell of bark is coming in too. The flavor is a bit thinner now. The licorice is much more subdued, the other flavors aren't any weaker though. Everything seems to be balancing out. I can taste kind of a woodsy thing going on. At this point I'm thinking the sugar would be nice. I'm not much for sweetness but a touch would help separate the flavors some and probably reduce the strength of the licorice taste.
4:1 the louche is just barely starting to thin. The aroma seems oddly stronger licorice now and the other smells have gone into the background again. The taste however is changing. Thinner taste, less licorice, less aftertaste, about the same with everything else. The flavor is a bit more pleasant at 4:1. I think some sugar would help immensely at this point.
5:1 the louche is slighty thinner. Maybe more infinity to it if you will. The smell has grown much stronger, almost back to the strength when it was straight. Licorice at the forefront, the rest of the smells in the background. They are there, but not very strong. A new flavor has appeared. The licorice is there, but has a watered down flavor. Not necessarily bad, but you can start tasting plain water. Added to that is a taste/effect of spices. Has a very slight burn to it on the middle/back of the tongue, that is quickly replaced by just a slight spicy taste. I rather like it. The rest of the flavors are about the same as 3:1 or 4:1. Some mild bark and earthy flavors going on. Very little bitterness anywhere.

I never tasted alcholol anywhere at all. Amazing for something that is 55%-60% or so.
Overall, not bad. Definitely a sippin' drink. I think the sugar would help it a lot. How does it change the flavor besides sweetening it?

Well that is my review!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation