Honeymoon in New Orleans

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru March 2002:Honeymoon in New Orleans
 SubtopicPosts Updated
Archive through March 12, 2002  25   03/12 10:11am

By String on Monday, March 25, 2002 - 09:18 pm: Edit

New Orleans was like Disneyland for eating and drinking. I made it to allot of the places recommended here and they were all great. We planned on one very fancy expensive meal and on a friends recommendation went to Galatoires. I was very disappointed. Then the next day coming out of Johnny's with a Po Boy, I saw NOLA across the street. While I looked in the window and saw how good the food looked, I remembered Marc Campbell's recommendation and almost cried. Next time.
We loved all your ideas. Even thought the sloth exhibit was closed, the zoo was very cool. My favorite bar was Jean Lafitte's Blacksmith Shoppe. My favorite food was Coops (but The Napoleon House was a very close second). I really liked Coops Mirliton salad. Where am I going to get mirliton in Chicago?

By Robman on Friday, March 15, 2002 - 10:07 pm: Edit

I'm glad you made it to the Napoleon House. That place has way too much atmosphere and history to be omitted from a visitor's initerary. I also really like the Gumbo Shop for the cuisine. And I agree that the bar in Columns must be experienced - I have never been to a comparible place to enjoy a drink.

Damn - I am now really Jonesing for a visit to NOLA - there is absolutely nothing in Atlanta to compare.

By Rimbaud on Friday, March 15, 2002 - 09:23 pm: Edit

Oh, and go to Central Grocery on Decatur St. in the quarter and have one of their famous muffeletta sandwiches. Amazingly good! I took one home to New York! Also, eat at Mothers on Poydras St. just outside of the quarter, not far past Canal. I had one of their famous "debris po boys," which is a hero filled with the stuff that falls into the pan below when a roast beef is in the oven. Basically shredded beef and juices. Fantastic! Well, nuff said.

~21st Century Rimbaud

By Rimbaud on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 10:14 pm: Edit

I just got back from New Orleans. It was my first time there and I had a great time! Here are some things I did while I was there that I think are worth doing...

1) See Lafayette cemetery in the Garden District. I thought it was way cooler than St. Louis Cemetery No.1 (which is just outside the French Quarter).

2) Have a look around the Columns Hotel. It's a beautiful old house which, incidentally, was used for all the interior shots in the film Pretty Baby. The bar in the hotel is amazing. Be sure to stop in for a drink. Also in the Garden District.
I'm definitely going to stay there next time I'm in N.O.

3) Eat at the Gumbo Shop on St. Peter Street in the Quarter. Very good budget-priced Creole and Cajun food and tasty mint juleps as well. I ate there twice.

4) I know it's touristy, but go on one of the night tours in the French Quarter. I went on the Haunted History tour. It was pretty entertaining, and a nice break from getting plastered the two previous nights.

5) Have a drink at Jean Lafitte's Blacksmith Shoppe. Nice and dark and very old. Built in the 1730's I believe.

6) Have yet another drink at The Napoleon House. Another old and very atmospheric bar/cafe. I had a Sazerac there. Very strong. I may as well have ordered straight whiskey! Had to try one, though.

7) If you want a break from the tiresome drunken- frat-boy-on-spring-break atmosphere of Bourbon Street, have a few drinks at Mythique on Decatur Street in the Quarter. It's upstairs from the Crow Bar. It's quite Goth-y, and has lots of lounging space and cheap drinks.

8) If you try to find the Pirate's Alley Cafe (site of the 2000 absinthe gathering) on Pirate's Alley (duh!) you won't find it. It's now called, if I remember correctly (after a whole lotta Cabernet earlier that evening), The Blue Fugue.
It's the only bar in the Alley.

9) If you're a jazz fan, check out a set of traditional jazz at Preservation Hall. This is a touristy thing to do, I must admit, but I enjoyed it none the less. Doors open at 8pm nightly. Get on line by 7:15 if you want to get in for the first set, otherwise you'll have to wait until some people leave to make room for you.

10) Check out Lucullus on Chartres Street for some EXTREMELY high priced absinthe antiques. $95 for the most common of absinthe spoons?! I don't think so! Still, it is fun to look. They had some nice glasses as well.

11) Go to the Pharmacy Museum. Touristy? Yes. Interesting as hell? Yep. I shot 2 rolls of film there and also learned that 7UP originally contained Lithium. Hmmmm.... They also have an old (empty) bottle of Herbsaint in the window. I think it was post-ban, though, as it was only 100 proof.

12)And of course, see the Old Absinthe House, which still has one of the old marble absinthe fountains on the bar. If you look around you'll find some old abs labels framed on the wall as well as a poster or two. Just try to imagine the place without all the stupid football helmets hanging from the ceiling, though. It kinda ruined it for me, personally. The Old Absinthe House Bar (down the street) also has one of the old fountains as well, with the little statuette intact on top of it. Unfortunately, as you may have heard, this is now a horrendous neon infested Daquiri bar. Worth a look anyway, though.

Well, that's all for now. If I think of anything else, I'll add it later. Enjoy your trip!

~21st Century Rimbaud

By Verawench on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 04:08 pm: Edit

Tom Waits looks like an aged sloth...

"I wishawahs...in Neeeewww Orleeeenns...
I can seee it.. in my dreams..
By the whiskers on my chiiiinnn
New Orleans, I'll be there..."

*sighs dreamily*

By Sicboy13 on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 03:42 pm: Edit

Now Kallisti, one question....

My sloth is a standard issue three-toed maned sloth, I cannot tell from your pic if it is 2 or 3 toed...big difference in the long run!

By Tavarua on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 02:39 pm: Edit

Damn, Kallisti's sloth would erf your sloth, sicpants.

By Admin on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 10:55 am: Edit

Oh lovely!

There is also the South American Terror Bird, which stood nearly 9ft tall and was apparently the dominant predator of the South American continent during the Pleistocene:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/beasts/evidence/prog5/page6.shtml

I have retained an eight year old's passion for prehistoric critters. Mmmmmm. slothburger.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation