Weird(real) Candy

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru March 2002:Weird(real) Candy
By Baz on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 08:33 am: Edit

lars and morrigan-
That store still exists right here in Kentucky, next to this lake where I live(the lake is the only thing that keeps me sane, taking the boat out at midnight and just listening to the waves...)

Fun Dip, moon pies, pixie stix, they even have a chocolate bar with pop-rocks in the chocolate (like a krackel bar or nestle crunch). Your mouth will pop and crack for five minutes after eating one of these things.

By Blue on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 10:54 pm: Edit

Oooh, let's go back, old school; to the dark movie theater. Good N' Plenty. #1. Not only does it have an (albeit vaguely) absinthe-like licorice quality, but if you want to get truly kooky, check this out:

http://webmd.lycos.com/content/article/1728.55035

Yes, I mocked it too. Until a lovely dark-haired, fair-skinned boy pressed a handful of candy up to my mouth while driving late at night. Delicious.

By Larsbogart on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 09:59 pm: Edit

Morrigan:
There must have been a franchise of that candy store in Vermont. There is another exactly as you describe in the Mt Washington Valley in New Hampshire off Route 16 heading toward Jackson, with fishing lures and bear souvenirs. You could really feel like a millionaire in there with only the change in your pocket. [Actually, the reason we went there is that we only had change in our pockets and there is nothing to spend money on.] But being in the mountains made me so hungry it would only last a day.
There was one on Cape Cod also, but those pilgrims jacked their prices.
larsbogart

By Thegreenimp on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 06:26 pm: Edit

Sen-Sen, a very old favorite.
Jay

By Mvario on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 03:18 pm: Edit

Oh yeah, Sen-Sens baby!

By Morriganlefey on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 10:34 am: Edit

I'm with ya there, Auntie M. I have very fond memories of going up to our family cabin in northern Vermont each summer.

As a treat, Dad would stuff us in the family wagon and tote us down to the Bay Store bait n' tackle shop, where I would stand mezmerized by the rows upon rows of bright FD&C Yellow #5 nickel candies (conveniently situated near the rows upon rows of equally bright plastic fishing lures). We were allowed to choose 2 candies, and inevitably one of mine was ALWAYS the wax bottles. Somehow the syrupy elixir magically trapped inside was 10 times better sipped from the end of a dock ankle-deep in cool northern lake water.

- Morrigan

By Chevalier on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 10:26 am: Edit

The kid who did (not) blow his head off Pop Rocks-style was none other than the actor who played "Mikey" in an early '70s Life cereal commercial. You remember:

Kid 1: "What's this?"
Kid 2: "Some cereal. Mom says it's supposed to be good for you."
Kid 1: "Try it."
Kid 2: "I'm not gonna try it! You try it!"
Kid 1: "I'm not gonna try it ... Let's give it to Mikey! Yeah!!"
Kid 2: "He won't eat it. He hates everything!"
Mikey: [Chomp! Chomp! Chomp!]
Kid 2: "Hey Mikey! He likes it!!"

On a par with little Rodney Allen Rippey, famous for stuffing his mouth with a Whopper in a Burger King commercial ... and for sporting an afro bigger than his entire head.

By Perruche_Verte on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 10:12 am: Edit

What, just choking and dying? Not very inventive. The story I was told was that some kid BLEW HIS HEAD OFF due to the dramatic pressure increase resulting from Pop Rocks with a 7-Up chaser. Of course I promptly went and tried it myself... I had just become an agnostic on the subject of Santa Claus...

By _Blackjack on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 09:56 am: Edit

It's not just an urban legend, it is THE urban legend, the one most likely to be used to illustate the idea. Especially if you say it was Mikey from the Life Cereal commercials who died from them.

By Sicboy13 on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 09:35 am: Edit

eat a mouthful & chug a 7-up, it "rocks" pun defenitley intended

By Raschied on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 09:34 am: Edit

Pop Rocks - The candy that KILLED! I used to love Pop Rocks, the sizzling sound they'd make in my mouth. We'd get them at the local Pay 'N Save, but my mom stopped buying them for me after she heard a story about some kid choking on them and dying. I think the story was urban legend, but it just added to the allure of the candy. Be a Man! Test your Mortality! Eat some Pop Rocks!

By Sicboy13 on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 07:32 pm: Edit

Shit, I thought me fuckin lizards wuz just a phase...THANKS MAN!

By Pikkle on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 06:39 pm: Edit

That was iguana food man... best get yer gonads looked at in a hurry!

By Sicboy13 on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 05:36 pm: Edit

I got some weird candy in Mexico, I forget the name but it came in a Mcnugget dip lookin container with a little wooden stick, you would just twist the stick in the goo & enjoy!

By Auntieminda on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 05:05 pm: Edit

Oh, wow, they still have wax bottles! I haven't had a wax bottle in years. Oh, joy, oh rapture...I shall have to order some soon. I have such fond memories of going to Wal-mart with my Mom and picking out candy, selecting the wax bottles. Oh, how I miss thee, little bottles.

Smiles,
Auntie M

By Verawench on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 03:57 pm: Edit

LOL.

How do you pronounce "B B Bats"

Bee Bee Bats? or *stammer* B-B-Bats?

By Baz on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 11:09 am: Edit

I got fun dip for easter last year, as well as pixie stix and cow tails.

Man, I loves me some cow tails...

By Morriganlefey on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 10:28 am: Edit

Oh my god, Lik-M-Aid Fun Dip!!! As kids my friends and I would buy them, eat the sticks and then arrange the power into lines and pretend-snort it like coke (multi-colored nostrils and wheezing gave away those amateurs who made the mistake of REALLY snorting it).

Lord we were cool.

This trapse down memory lane prompted me to google search old-timey candy. Check out these lovely sites (oh joy!! You can still BUY much of this crap!):

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/enter.htm
http://thecandybaron.com/sitemap.html
http://www.groovycandies.com/
http://www.theimaginaryworld.com/candygrid.html

I'm wearing my Wax Lips as I type,

- Morrigan "Chik-O-Stik" (what the hell is that - chicken-flavored candy!?!) Le Fey

By Sicboy13 on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 10:00 am: Edit

Oh and:
"ABBA-ZABBA....your ma only friend.."

By Sicboy13 on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 09:55 am: Edit

memories...like the corner of my mind.....pastey water-colored memories..(dabs tear from corner of eye)

I enjoyed reading these fond recollections. Not too obscure, but remember:

"Lik-m-aid" I think it was called, the 3 bags of kool-aid flavored powder & the one, chalk-like stick that one would of course, lick & stick! sorry if I got the name wrong, you know how we are so paranoid here we must change names for the sake of the innocent(he he).

By Verdigris_Harpy on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 08:06 am: Edit

Thought I'd show n tell this from another list.....my own lil contribution to human (un)
happines.

For no apparent reason....

Anyone remember these weird candies?

Abba Zabba- A nearly hard,sticky,white "stuff" filled with harder,less sticky,almost orange
stuff..mmmm..mmmmm...!!!

Pixie Stix-Pure sugar in a paper tube! With a little vaguely -fruit flavoring added. A parent's nightmare.

Now And Later- The Horrible jingle went:"Eat some now,same some for later!!"...What the hell for?!?

Soft ball sized Jaw Breakers-I loved these.Too big to fit in your mouth,you would have to knash(sp?)at then with your teeth,until you slobbered on them enough to reveal the strata of bizzare florescent non-FDA approved colors.Another parent's nightmare,and they lasted an eternity.

Hockey puck sized Sweet Tarts-Another of my favorites! You also had to grind and saw at these,until your mouth thoroughly puckered,and then leave it on the kitchen counter until your
leftover saliva wore into it enough to repulse your mother.

Bottle Caps:Serrated edged sugar shaped like
metal bottle caps in root beer,cola,lemon lime,and
cherry.Hideous but I ate them cause they were
so cool.

Fizzies: Lil colored tablets you dropped in
water to make your own soda.Bright bright colors
but tasted like hell.Still fun to watch.

Wax Pop Bottles: Tiny,inedible wax bottles
filled with minute amounts of florescent
colored sugar water.Bite off the top,drink the
ick inside,chew the wax,and try to mold it into
funny shapes.

Anyone have anymore?

Out of this discussion on what is a hobby/"art"/
free form Dada therapy group,came our term
"Hideous Liquid Candy",and later(before any of us was ever interested in actually trying absinthe)
"The Hideous Liquid Candy Appreciation Society"

The word "hideous" is used with full intent
and simultaneously with full affection,and remember we were talking about "real" candy then(and still are,as well),and I am not making fun of absinthe or trying to say it is naughty.

I know someone else here recently used the term
"liquid candy".I think it is apropos for a liqour
that tastes like anise.If this is a no no term
for reasons I am ignorant of,I apologise,but
keep in mind the above,which my friends
and I came up months ago,and only very recently
placed absinthe in,along with the other
"Weird" candy.BTW,weird is not a bad word in
my book.....

And if we are gonna have absinthe filled cholates
(mmmmmmmm) then.......

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only