Archive through March 12, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: BETINA ELIXIRS ANNOUNCEMENT...NEW PERNOD ABSINTHE:Archive through March 12, 2002
By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 05:10 pm: Edit

No soap for you!

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 05:10 pm: Edit

Darn, Don, you're so easy... I wish you were a better adversary...

So, let me destroy you, and enjoy it...

"When compounds "age" they undergo predictable change and leave a trail of molecular evidence behind that is a lot easier to follow than you apparently think"

There are hundreds (and for all I know) thousands of molecules in absinthe. The vast majority of them we can't see. However, there's ONE we can see. Chlorophyll. And guess what? THAT one changes with time. The ol' "feuille morte" thingy? What are the chances that that is the ONLY molecule that changes? Minimal.

For you and Ted to think that the absinthe you are drinking is even remotely close to the original, and moreso, for the two of you to have the balls to be critical of modern day Pernod...man...

What's next in your universe? Ferrari doesn't know how to build sport cars? Maradona doesn't know how to kick penalties? Frank Lloyd Wright doesn't know how to design houses?

Pathetic...

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 05:09 pm: Edit

Chivalry is not dead, it is, as embodied in Rowl, just lobotomized and pumped full of Haldol, till he thinks the local gang-pump is the Virgin Mary.

By Verawench on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 05:07 pm: Edit

nosoup

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 05:06 pm: Edit

In short if you wish to make Vera your Dulcinea, you will make a particularly absurd Quixote. You'd have better luck with Sancho P.

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 05:02 pm: Edit

Rowl, I am utterly contemptuous of Netiquette when it is used in defense of pain in the ass little know nothing sluts like Vera.

She has been harassing me pointlessly for some time, and I gave her fair warning of the consequences if she did not cease and desist.

She didn't, and now she will suffer the consequences.

So take your charger and lance and go joust somewhere else. Chivalry does not apply to tavern tarts and street whores like this bit of central European gash we are talking about here. Someone the Russian Army wouldn't have bothered to rape for concern over Balance of VD Payments.

By Louched_Liver on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 04:53 pm: Edit

Wow! They're lining up to take shots!!
Not like the old days where there would be a whippin' and off they'd slink.

THESE ARE THE GOOD OLD DAYS!

Waxing all nostalgic for the future,
Elly the Puler

By Rowl on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 04:47 pm: Edit

I was reading an article on Netiquette this morning and I'll be damned if there wasn't a picture of Don in the Glossary under the entry for "Troll".

It's clear that Vera's not contemptous of age or skill just petty, nasty, mean old men with filthy mouths.

If you've been around as long as your posts imply then you should know better.

By Arj on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 04:36 pm: Edit

Vera, you are one funny wench :)

By Sicboy13 on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 04:31 pm: Edit

MOM...DAD...I hate it when you fight!

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 04:21 pm: Edit

Ah, the 21 year old Polish CUNT who has no life save vicariously on Dalnet, seems to be contemptuous of age and wisdom.

Well, the old and sneaky will always triumph over the young and stupid, Vera.

And stop wasting K.'s bandwidth.

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 04:16 pm: Edit

It is not necessary to have any first-hand exposure to old Pernod Fils (either now or then) to determine that the new and the old are very different products.

By Verawench on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 04:11 pm: Edit

Hey, it's under 50k

whyioughtta

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 04:09 pm: Edit

I see the light! and it is green.

I've been blind all these years, relying on science, technology, scholarship, and money to ferret out the secrets of the Green Fairy...when all I needed was the guru Dr Ordinaire and his molded glass bottles shaped like a pregnant woman and containing mucho damiana

The clear adamantine vision of absinthe a la Ordinaire, it is overwhelming, I must abandon Ted's heresies and follow my prophet...

Not.

Ordinaire, you are such a frigging idiot. So jealous of your betters, so ignorant of their techniques, and you haven't even tasted our stuff, you are merely compelled to carp and to disdain.

PITIFUL!

By Don_Walsh on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 03:59 pm: Edit

Actually not.

"Hundred year old oxidized samples"

Dr O, you are way off base if you are implying that Ted's unopened bottles are oxidized. First of all you haven't examined them so you are merely blowing smoke. Secondly, we could, if required, learn as much from oxidation products and degradation fragments as we could from a time machine.

If you want to make Absintheur's tired old and thoroughly repudiated argument that Ted's entire approach is wrong, well, you will merely look ridiculous. Absintheur used to argue that 100 year old Pernod would now taste BETTER and therefore, not represent what it tasted like when bottled. You are trying a slightly different tack, arguing that vintage absinthes must be different or inferior than they were at first.

Blow it out your ass! All you are doing is showing yourself ignorant of vintage absinthes. Well preserved samples do not show signs of chemical change. When compounds "age" they undergo predictable change and leave a trail of molecular evidence behind that is a lot easier to follow than you apparently think. When this is NOT present it means change did not take place. Remember, matter can neither be created nor destroyed (with a few exceptions that are not relevant to absinthe.)

Finally, if you expect the modern Pernod-Ricard folks to show you what absinthe is supposed to taste like, you'd better heed Petermarc's words. Modern Pernod 68 tastes like La Fee, only not as good. And as La Fee is hardly the best possible, being (like Pernod 68) compounded from oils, that really isn't saying much.

It means that P-R knows how to make an absinthe about as well as DelaHaye does. But not quite.

You expect too much of Pernod Ricard. They have no real link to the old Pernod companies, other than in name. Oh, they can MARKET like a house afire, but they have no institutional memory dating back to the mid 1950s when Pernod absinthe production ceased in Spain.

I can tell you one thing about vintage absinthe: it didn't have damiana in it.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 03:51 pm: Edit

"It does not taste like the Pernod Fils absinthe made a century ago. "

I'm glad to hear that you were of drinking age a century ago, Ted...

By Tabreaux on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 03:48 pm: Edit

I found the new Pernod Fils to be very disappointing. It does not taste like the Pernod Fils absinthe made a century ago.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 03:40 pm: Edit

Peter, I wasn't really clear in my post.

What I meant is that nobody really knows what Pernod Fils actually tasted like.

Chances are, very different from the bottles we have.

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 03:35 pm: Edit

"'pernod fils' has long since ceased to exist "

Hey, Peter, if you tasted Pernod Fils absinthe when it was new, you would have ceased to exist a long time ago, too...

By Chevalier on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 03:26 pm: Edit

Dr. O! Glad to see you made it to the Gran Café Tortoni. Did you spot the silver vase on the bar counter? Looks suspiciously like an absinthe spoon container; now it holds drinking straws.

Sad times for B.A., eh? I keep hoping for things to get better so I can move there.

By Petermarc on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 02:07 pm: Edit

>Has anyone tried the new Pernod 68?

no, i just took photos of it and then dumped it...
check 'keyword search'
german andy picked up a bottle in early december, since it was first launched (as far as i know) in germany and is not yet available in france...tastes likes la fée...sort of, and not in a good way...not at all like pernod fils...
'pernod fils' has long since ceased to exist

By Dr_Ordinaire on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 01:23 pm: Edit

At the very least, it would be interesting to try what Pernod Fils think absinthe is, not what someone thinks it should be, based on some one-hundred year old oxidized samples.

Chev, BTW, I checked the Tortoni and, yep, there was an absinthe spoon at the entrance.

By Chevalier on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 01:10 pm: Edit

Agreed, Lord Hobgoblin. I don't plan on buying booze from Betina either, I can't afford it; but I'm very glad that she posted the news about her repro'd Toulouse Lautrec absinthe spoons.

By I_B_Puffin on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 12:44 pm: Edit

Has anyone tried the new Pernod 68? Considering how bad their Pastis is, I'm not going to be the first to try it.

By Lordhobgoblin on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 10:45 am: Edit

Anyway Larsbogart, what is the problem with Betina's thread continuing to exist?

This is not the anti-Betina forum. If she want's to announce her new products and name a thread as such and people carry on posting on it then fine. Nobody minds when others on this forum, who have their own products to tell us about, do this.

I've never met the woman and I'll admit I've never tried her products, but give her a break, I'm sure she's not the anti-Christ. She's just trying to market a product, just like others do. What is so wrong with that?

Hobgoblin

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation