Newbie experience

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru March 2002:Newbie experience
By Mr_Rabid on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 10:33 pm: Edit

When you play the forum backwards, you can hear Kallisti say "kill your parents and spend the insurance money on booze."

By Mr_Rabid on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 10:32 pm: Edit

!mra tfel ym

By Sicboy13 on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 10:09 pm: Edit

liatkcoc yrrebwarts iwik!

By Rowl on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 09:53 pm: Edit

wow

g'night everyone.

By Destiny on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 09:30 pm: Edit

!puekaM nwolC

By Crosby on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 08:47 pm: Edit

Clown Makeup

By Destiny on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 08:46 pm: Edit

It's a brand of that white face makeup that clowns use. You probably don't have to mix any in, just take a sip of yur drink and then take a sniff of the Stein's.

Mmmmmmm, clowny!

By Rowl on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 08:30 pm: Edit

"Rowl - Now mix in a little bit of Stein's clown white and you'll have a free taste of Wolvie's blanche!"

I'd love to. What's "Stein's clown white?"

Wow... 2 1/2 glasses and I can still type!

By Destiny on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 08:10 pm: Edit

Rowl - Now mix in a little bit of Stein's clown white and you'll have a free taste of Wolvie's blanche!

By Sicboy13 on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 07:28 pm: Edit

I know nothing about Herbsaint, but I asked my local upscale liquor store owner about it today & he shouted "NEW ORLEANS!...heh heh heh.." And said he has some at home but he would order some for me.
Call me a nerd, or a hopeless case, but I myself appreciate the ritual more than anything(besides the taste and ALCOHOL factor that is!). I have a nice old absinthe glass & some cool spoons that I enjoy using I guess.
I do give you props on the whole Macguyver approach you've taken though, Rowl. I'm waiting on my order too.

By Rowl on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 07:23 pm: Edit

OK, I just couldn't stand waiting for two weeks for my order to arrive. I mean... I've just _got_ to know! So I went and bought some Herbsaint and some Wormwood extract. I know, I know... this _isn't_ like the real stuff but as I said, I just can't wait. It'll probably just make me appreciate the real stuff even more when it arrives.

The recipie section says to add 1.5 Tblsp. to a liter. This is really imprecise because the extracts are all of differing strengths. It would be more helpful to say for instance "If your extract was of the 1:4 strength add 1.5 Tblsp." A little math would then be all that was necessary to approximate how much to add.

Anyway, here are my impressions. I definitely notice a slight bitterness that was not present in the unmodified product. It also seems much stronger as it took three glasses of the unmodified product before I really felt much whereas I've just finished my first glass of the doctored stuff and I'm definitely feeling no pain. ;-)

By Rowl on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 12:52 pm: Edit

Iowa... Hmmm... I don't know then. I guess just find the largest liquor supplier around as they will be the most likely to carry it.

By Sicboy13 on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 10:26 am: Edit

I be in Iowa, forum first?

By Rowl on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 09:50 am: Edit

Where abouts are you located Sicboy? In California I know the Beverages and More liquor stores carry it (along with all the other pastis I've seen mentioned).

By Sicboy13 on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 07:25 am: Edit

Thanks for the advice If I cant find it I'll let ya know to see if'n you can ofer any more help

By Nolan on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 09:04 pm: Edit

It is usually available at better liquor stores.If you can't find it let me know and I will see if I can locate some for ya!!hows it gwine brudah sico?hmmm,it seems that time and space are drunk or something.Anyway it is a decent pastis.

By Sicboy13 on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 08:37 pm: Edit

Pernod is gnappy. Way to sickley sweet & the anise is too pungent. Kinda stinks up the room, literally. I've not tried herbsaint, does any liquor store carry it or must it be ordered? I enjoy the complex taste of absinthe & I,too would like to hear of any substitutes available.

By Nolan on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 06:20 pm: Edit

Yes,Herbsaint was good choice for a pastis,in my humble opinion.It has been the pastis of choice here in the deep south for quite awhile.You will like the N.S. 70 even better.I think Herbsaint is better than Pernod pastis.At least the modern version.Some folks from New Orleans pronounce the words as ahrb sahnt when they say herbsaint.

By Robman on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 11:25 am: Edit

Your welcome - it's only a couple dollars more and adds nothing to the shipping costs, and it's nice to have the proper setting for a trist with the green fairy.

Any clear glass that tapers at the bottom would fit the purpose, though. It's designed so that the absinth is deep enough for you to watch the louche, I am guessing.

By Rowl on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 10:47 am: Edit

No, unfortunately I missed out on that. I'll probably pick them up on my next order. Thanks for the tip. ;-)

By Robman on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 10:46 am: Edit

I ordered 2 bottles on Feb 23 from SC and received my order March 11 - no probs. I guess that's a little over 2 weeks. Did you get the glass and spoon?

By Rowl on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 10:34 am: Edit

Well, my first two bottles of NS70 are on order. The charges just appeared in my bank account yesterday (check card you know). Does anyone have an approximate wait time till delivery?

In the meantime I just couldn't wait till they arrived to find out what the taste was like so I investigated the substitutes that are available in the US. The consensus in the buyer's guide seemed to be that Herbsaint was the best choice. Any comments about that? Anyway I bought a bottle and was pleasantly suprised.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation