Robman's first affair with the Fee Verte

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru March 2002:Robman's first affair with the Fee Verte
By Brett on Friday, March 15, 2002 - 11:40 pm: Edit

Enjoying a fine glass of N.S. 70 right now and trying to work on a creative writing bit for an English class. Couple of minutes and it will come to me.

Due to my busy schedule, I've never gone over three glasses of absinthe. That's a lot for me. Went to sleep, woke up after a nice bit o' sleep feeling perfectly fine, if a little dehydrated. (Did not drink any water after the absinthe).

Pastis I find also have a slightly different effect than other liquors. Drank 4-5 glasses of Ricard w/in two - three hours (wanted to finish the bottle off) and was in no state to drive, but was walking reasonably straight and was most definitely coherent. Again, woke up feeling rather dehydrated, but that was it.

One of these days I'll actually have the opportunity to go over three glasses. May even try it with my Old Way.

By Nolan on Friday, March 15, 2002 - 10:40 pm: Edit

Serpis numbs my tounge more than anything else I have tried.It is really like liquid licorice candy though.I still drink it from time to time.
Segarra is the best Spanish.In my humble opinion.

By Verawench on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 02:30 pm: Edit

Not from Deva, Robman. Try Serpis or Segarra or La Bleue.

You will know.

By Sicboy13 on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 01:01 pm: Edit

SIX GLASSES!!! You didn't just get your cherry popped...You did the whole fuckin' football team!!!

By Robman on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 11:00 am: Edit

Hold me, Sicboy :^D

Actually, I don't feel bad at all. After 6 glasses, the anise was too much to take - it's like a built-in responsible drinking machanism. I did actually drink some straight water to clear my palate. I didn't seem to hallucinate, unless you count Harvey - he's not a rabbit, you know. Actually, I didn't find the experience much different than a standard booze buzz at all.

By Sicboy13 on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 10:28 am: Edit

Robman..Your cherry hath been popped!

Now just don't ask to cuddle or anything!

By Rowl on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 09:56 am: Edit

I ususally forget about the water until the next morning. However, drinking a couple or five glasses still helps you to recover more quickly even at that point.

By Raschied on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 08:24 am: Edit

yeah, drink plenty of water, straight, during your dance with the green fairy. That seems to minimize the hangover effects. At our last party, I drank two glasses of water for every glass of absinthe. All the pleasure, none of the pain. Most people didn't drink anything but the absinthe, and stumbled around for the next two days in a smelly, painful daze.

By Baz on Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 06:25 am: Edit

Absinthe doesn't give me the same kind of hangover that other sauces do, either. For me absinthe is MUCH worse the next day. Specifically migraine headaches. Be extra careful until you know what it will do to you if you have to be somewhere the next day.

By Robman on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 10:28 pm: Edit

NS does indeed taste more complete. I'm beginning to realize that the "secondary effect" is really quite subtle. The only thing I'm positive of is that I'm catching a booze buzz faster but I'm not really groggy.

By Robman on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 10:04 pm: Edit

I just served myself a glass of Deva with the sugar cube drip, and it actually comes out quite good. The sugar masks the stronger taste of the anise. Hmmmm. It does appear that the secondaries might have hit. I feel a definite alcohol buzz, but it feel a little more alert and ... perceptive.

By Nolan on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 09:49 pm: Edit

well,that is up to you robman!!I get a buzz[secondary]before I even feel the alcohol.So if ya ain't got to be anywhere tommorow,then go for it!! see what the fuss is all about!! If ya gotta work,stop after three glasses.and absinthe never gives me the same kinda hangover other sauces do.

By Robman on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 09:30 pm: Edit

How fast are you supposed to drink this stuff - I feel like a have a buzz after 1.5 glasses.

By Robman on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 09:29 pm: Edit

Thank you Nolan - the initiation isn't half bad.

By Robman on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 09:27 pm: Edit

NS70 now. Open the bottle - similar, but harder to explain from the bottle. In the glass, it really has a bit due to the alcohol content. I'm afraid to try it neat, but here goes - spreads fast, and is a bit better than Deva neat. Still quite sweet - I think I'll avoid the sugar with this on too.

Doesn't louch nearly as quickly as Deva. Much more interesting to watch though. It's not fully louched at what I am guessing to be a 1-1 ratio. The aroma is not near as strong as Deva at the same concentration. MUCH different taste - there is definitely some bitter there - I'm guessing this won't this out as quickly. I've guessed right. This brand seems to be properly taken at a lighter concentration than Deva.

I'm beginning to feel a buzz - 100 and 140 proof stuff seems to work fast.

By Nolan on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 09:25 pm: Edit

I bet you will like the N.S. even more!!!And if ya can, get some segarra.I think it is the best spanish available.It will taste even different to ya than these two i am betting.I like the Segarra!!
Please forgive my exuberance,but drinking absinthe makes me happier than a two dick dog!!

By Nolan on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 09:15 pm: Edit

Ha ha ha ha!!! and now ya know what this shit is all about.Why people enjoy it I mean to say.Enjoy with gusto Robman!!!Welcome aboard!!!

By Robman on Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 09:04 pm: Edit

OK - One bottle Deva50, one bottle NS70 - check
Two sports bottles of spring water subnerged in ice - check
One box Domino Dots - check

Well here goes - I will open the Deva. Wow - what a scent. Smells amazingly like a strong cough syrup (good cough syrup). Poured in the glass, the alcohol comes through more - reminds me of a drink called the Three Wise Men. Taste neat - WOW - Sweet yet STRONG aroma - spreads through the chest FAST - back of toung stings a bit. Now for spring water - fast louche - seems to settle at the bottom rather quickly. I like the 2-layer effect. WIth about a 1.5 to 1 ratio of spring water, the fragrance is still very pronounced with what I assume is the anise, but the strong smell that made me think of a Three Wise Men is gone. I taste something rather insistent - I think it's the anise. Another sip and I feel a numbing effect on my tounge - temporary only.

This is not a drink you slam back. I added a little more water and the louch lightened up a bit. That licorice smell has really lightened up. A taste shows that my tongue no longer burns at the back - it has gotten a lot more drinkable, but still definitely somthing you don't rush.

It maybe tastes a bit light at this concentration. Added more water - the louche IS interesting to look into. There seems to be some substance and texture to it. Something that doesn't show up in the photos. Now it tastes downright thin, but I can detect something else, barely. I think I know what you all mean by one-dimensional - while there are hints of other things, the anise dominates. I don't think I will try this with sugar just yet.

Interesting. You really don't taste the alcohol, even though this is 100 proof - I would not have thought that possible. I could see how this stuff could sneak up on you.

After most of a glass, my tongue feels like it's coated lightly with a licorice-flavored wax.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation