Archive through March 12, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru March 2002:Honeymoon in New Orleans:Archive through March 12, 2002
By Chevalier on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 10:11 am: Edit

Kallisti:

In Chilean Patagonia, near the Torres Del Paine national park, there is a cave so large, it calls to mind the Astrodome. Back in 1895, after a forest fire cleared trees from the entrance, some hunters discovered this cave and within it the very well-preserved hairy hide of a Milodon "sloth". A nearly complete, 7 ft.-tall skeleton was also discovered, along with several cooking sites. It seems that Pleistocene Age people used the cave to lure in Milodons, kill them and have barbecues that put Texas to shame. Ah, the good ol' Pleistocene days ...

By Verawench on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 07:00 am: Edit

Oh god.. I hear it all the time.

Help.

By Sicboy13 on Tuesday, March 12, 2002 - 06:29 am: Edit

no fair, your sloth is bigger than mine!

now that's something ya dont hear everyday!!!

By Admin on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 10:44 pm: Edit

Also, I'd like to see Darryl Hannah in cave babe outfit commune with one of those critters.

Or perhaps Raquel Welch for that matter.

Or even Ann Magnuson ...

Or especially Ann Magnuson.

By Admin on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 09:59 pm: Edit

Megatherium

The giant ground sloth was one of the enormous creatures that thrived during the ice ages. Looking a little bit like an oversized hamster it probably fed on leaves found on the lower branches of trees or bushes. The largest of these ground sloths was Megatherium which grew to the size of a modern elephant. Like other giant creatures that disappeared at the end of the Pleistocene period (about 10,000 years ago).

(i didn't write that, stole it from the web somewhere)

By Sicboy13 on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 04:47 pm: Edit

sloth

By Sicboy13 on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 04:44 pm: Edit

misfire!

By Verawench on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 03:53 pm: Edit

Don't blow a gasket now, boys, that's too much excitement for the forum, methinks.

By Robman on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 03:49 pm: Edit

..but only when they're green.

By Chevalier on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 03:46 pm: Edit

I love traf-fic lights,
I love traf-fic lights,
I love traf-fic lights,
I love traf-fic lights,
I...love...traf-fic...lights,
I ...
Oh God.

By Sicboy13 on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 02:18 pm: Edit

I'll post my sloth pic later, they rock!

By Verawench on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 02:16 pm: Edit

"I love sloths"

Funniest thing I've heard all day.

By Sicboy13 on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 02:06 pm: Edit

I love sloths

By Barsnake on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 11:05 am: Edit

Will be there for St. Patty's day - anybody else??

By Admin on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 10:39 am: Edit

Oh, and don't forget to get plastered at the Hideout on Decatur and then go down to the levee and touch the river.

They also have a sloth at the zoo.

By Robman on Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 11:39 pm: Edit

Oh, and lest I forget, an afternoon at Audoban Zoo and a walk through Tulane's campus are very nice excursions. Also, if you have time, a trip to Fats City in Metarie is interesting.

By Maldoror on Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 10:39 pm: Edit

One of the best things I did when I visited New Orleans was rent a bike. It was a great way to see things, in particular the Garden District. Simple but good.

Congratulations.

By Scanion on Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 08:21 pm: Edit

Check out the Pelican Club in Exchange Alley. Very nice atmosphere and food.

For Sunday brunch go to the Windsor Court Hotel on Gravier St. The food is great!

By Verawench on Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 03:23 pm: Edit

Keep'em coming, I'll be in NOLA first weekend of April.

By Blygdon on Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 10:49 am: Edit

Other New Orleans suggestions:

For music, Snug Harbor outside the quarter, on Frenchman is a place for jazz/blues, Howlin' Wolf almost always has great music, check Tipitina's listings (the Uptown one on Napoleon is the original).

Food: K-Paul's, Jaegar's on the lakefront - hit it about sundown e and sit on the deck, watching the sunset over Lake Pontchartrain. The temperature will drop about 10 degrees, the beer's ice cold and the seafood spicy hot. Crabcakes are tasty and it's boiled crawfish season. Take the street car to Camelia Grill for some late night eats. Coffee and an order (of beignets) at Cafe Du Monde in the quarter. Commander's Palace, Mr. B's, Brennen's are all nice, but pricy, but for some reason, Court of Two Sister's brunch still appeals to me. Even after the rat running across the court yard thing... hey, the City is below sea level - gonna have that kind of activity. Maspero's (across from Jax Brewery) has great roast beef poboys and Muffelattas, Napoleon house on St. Louis has terrific atmosphere, disgusting bathrooms, and good muffelatas. Best muffelatas: central grocery.

For strippers: Artist Cafe on Iberville (?) has the funniest and most interactive.

Have fun. Good luck. And congratulations!

By Admin on Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 12:30 am: Edit

The Columns is where they filmed "Pretty Baby" ... a lovely, lovely place!

By Robman on Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 12:09 am: Edit

Must do: Begnets at Cafe Dumont - 24/7

Also I would recommend going uptown on St Charles Ave to Columns Hotel and having a cocktail. Have lunch at Napolean House in the Quarter.

By Admin on Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 12:05 am: Edit

It's the Pirates Alley Cafe, right next to the cathedral ... a lovely hole in the wall!

By Marccampbell on Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 11:24 pm: Edit

string,
Go eat at the Praline Cafe and Emeril's restaurant
NOLA. Check out to see who's playing at Howlin Wolf and The Shim Sham Club.

By String on Saturday, March 09, 2002 - 09:53 pm: Edit

Hello,
This Thursday is my 40th birthday. This Saturday is my wedding day. I get to rest on St. Patrick's day and Monday I'm off to New Orleans. YIKES!
I would like to ask the same question that comes up here every few months: What do the forum members think is good to do in NOLA? Kallisti, thank you for posting your must see list last month. And Kali23 + Dvhacker had some interesting additions. I plan to make time to visit Lucullus and hopefully buy a neat bistro glass. I also remember the place that had the NOLA gathering a couple years ago got very positive reviews, but I can't find the name or location in the archives.
I would appreciate any more suggestions,
Thanks

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation