Bloodletting set for sale (scarificator and cup)

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru March 2002:Bloodletting set for sale (scarificator and cup)
By Chevalier on Tuesday, March 26, 2002 - 02:59 pm: Edit

We'll have to create a new subtopic heading: MARCH'S BLOODLETTING COLLECTIBLES AUCTIONS

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, March 26, 2002 - 02:09 pm: Edit

well ladies and gents, the set is on e-bay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1087660829

- J

By Petermarc on Tuesday, March 26, 2002 - 01:29 am: Edit

most antique chastity belts are victorian 'romantic' revival fakes, claiming to be of medieval origin...their use, apparently, had been greatly exaggerated...

By Pantagruel on Monday, March 25, 2002 - 03:42 pm: Edit

If you are into seeing historical examples of chastity belts, the Higgins Armory Museum in Worchester, MA, has two on display... and I distinctly remember (w/ one of the two) the front entrance had teeth on the vertical smile, the back door just being a plain hole (just big enough to crank one out).

By _Blackjack on Monday, March 25, 2002 - 03:04 pm: Edit

Quote:

It makes perfectly good sense to assume that letting out bad blood will cure ills.

Except that, you know, it didn't work. That's the ultimate virtue of science, not its ontological supremacy, but its practicality. Science concerns itself with those things which can be oserved and reliably reproduced. Regardless of whether the conclusions drawn from these observations are absolutely true, they are damned useful, because you can be pretty sure that it wll do the same thing the next time you try it.

I call this the Wish-In-One-Hand-Shit-In-The-Other Principle.

By Head_Prosthesis on Monday, March 25, 2002 - 01:05 pm: Edit

Ha! That's a good one!

By Nancywhiskey on Monday, March 25, 2002 - 12:10 pm: Edit

Hey, is that a penny cutter?

By Chevalier on Friday, March 22, 2002 - 11:16 am: Edit

True story: My great-grandmother's husband had what he claimed was a late Medieval chastity belt. I saw the thing once. Made of iron and (small mercy) covered in very worn red velvet. Had little spikes where you'd imagine them to be.

I wish I'd inherited it. (No, not to wear!) It represented my notion that all enforced fidelity is vanity ... especially if your lover is a locksmith.

By Chrysippvs on Friday, March 22, 2002 - 09:59 am: Edit

I like things like this for one reason.

It represents my notions that all science is vanity, and is certainly not a candidate for Truth. As Agrippa said, the best people can do is gather data, any inference we make based on that is subject to 100% error.

In this case, Galen's four humors. It makes perfectly good sense to assume that letting out bad blood will cure ills. This was done (And still is in the US) up until around the 1920's. That was science. So was inject a rat with absinthe and declaring absinthe poison. Now we make fun of cultures that have people trained to drive out evil spirits when we pay 20,000 USD to put our computer desk by the window to get the Chi in the room right.

In other words, this just points out how "science" or in this case industrialization can produce things that are not only wrong, but flawed to the point of being virtually evil (atomic bombs, chemical warfare, Zyclon B, etc).

Long answer.

The short answer. It is a great conversation piece. I love watching people come into the house and try to figure out what is does....

- J

By Chevalier on Friday, March 22, 2002 - 07:34 am: Edit

In sum, it's an ignorant, macabre metaphor. Got it ;-)

By Baz on Friday, March 22, 2002 - 07:26 am: Edit

Oh yes, I forgot to mention-its macabre

By Baz on Friday, March 22, 2002 - 07:26 am: Edit

I like items that show the ignorance of the past. It reminds me that we will never have all the answers, and it reminds me that the things we are so certain about today may be the things that show our ignorance to future generations.

By Head_Prosthesis on Friday, March 22, 2002 - 07:21 am: Edit

It's a metaphorical thing.

By Chevalier on Friday, March 22, 2002 - 07:18 am: Edit

Not being judgmental, just curious: What's the attraction of this device? If you like it, why so?

By Chrysippvs on Friday, March 22, 2002 - 07:05 am: Edit

Last chance for this set before I through it up on e-bay....I am willing to work with anyone on the board with payment options (installments, etc) if they really want it. I will list it probably on Sunday or Monday....take care

- J

By Admin on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 01:56 pm: Edit

yeah, I've seen pictures of the willie strangler ... where was that?

By Admin on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 01:55 pm: Edit

I need to move to Mississippi or something so I have room to house all this crap.

I just bought a mid victorian trunk with wooden straps etc and its currently sitting in the middle of the living room.

Why can't I be satisfied with being a bar maid in some place that is affordable!?!?!

(ok, this rant almost looks unjustified. where'd that come from? heh.)

By Baz on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 01:54 pm: Edit

Speaking of old bloodletting devices, have you seen the-ahem-devices used to keep men from getting "impure thoughts" while sleeping? Looked like a cockring with teeth. You would slide it over old willie (carefully) and wrap the belt around your waist. The teeth, which looked like needles, would sit and wait for willie to awaken in the night. As he arose, and gained girth, those teeth would bite. Ah, for the good old days...

By Chrysippvs on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 01:37 pm: Edit

I have one of those sets on the way from France...it is early 20th century, or late 19th century...very nice..

- J

By Admin on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 11:46 am: Edit

also just found this:

http://www.surgeons.org/surgical_news/volume_1_no_8/articles/bloodletting.htm

"Cupping sets were used to draw blood to the surface of the skin. Cupping could be applied to any part of the body, but the temples, behind the ears and the base of the spine were especially popular sites.

"Typically, cupping sets included glass cups, however more rarely they were metal. These cups would be warmed prior to application to the treatment area, creating a vacuum, which kept the cup attached to the skin. Cupping could be practised either wet or dry. In dry cupping, the skin was not broken, but in wet cupping the skin was scored."

it is usually the dry cupping we see in movies etc ... where it is typically shown as blistering the skin and being very painful. when in practice it was not. the skin did not blister, but rather was sucked in a vacuum created buy heating the cup, which acted more or less like an automatic hickey machine.

By Admin on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 11:13 am: Edit

here's one of my favorite sites on meddy collectibles: http://www.collectmedicalantiques.com/bloodletting2.html

they've got a pic of a complete set if you scroll down.

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 08:44 pm: Edit

How is it used?

You pull the trigger back, which folds the blades in place. Then give the trigger a slight push and the blades snap out, and "scarificate" the desired area (wrist, behind knee, back, etc). The cup is pre-warmed and then applied to the area in which the cuts were made, acting as a vacuum it sucks blood out. Once the cup(s) is/are filled, you patch the wounds and move about your happy day.

For more info on some similar items check out:

http://midwestgunshows.com/blood_relatives.htm

If anyone seriously wants this I can work something out for a fellow forumite, you can ask Etienne, I will do the best I can.

- J

By Head_Prosthesis on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 07:28 pm: Edit

Well first you place it firmly against your wallet...

By Etienne on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 07:27 pm: Edit

Magician;

You want this? Talk to Justin, he makes good things happen.

By Mvario on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 07:16 pm: Edit

How is it used?

By Themagicman on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 03:55 pm: Edit

I want it oh!!!! oh!!!! oh!!!!!
I fucking want it but i cant afford it

By Baz on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 10:51 am: Edit

sorry, I already have several. None quite that nice tho.

By Etienne on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 10:10 am: Edit

Great timing, there seems to be a strong market here right now for bloodletting devices. ;-)

By Chrysippvs on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 07:10 am: Edit

Not sure if anyone is interested but I have come across a very nice bloodletting set and I need to get rid of it.

Included is a nice brass tower scarificator with a tight spring and in working condition. I also have a nice blood-letting cup that will go with it if possible. I think they both date to around or before the American Civil War, may even be early 1800's. The usually sell for around $300-$500 USD without a cup, but I am taking offers. I would rather sell it here than on e-bay anyhow, I know that some of you would like the morose nature of this little device....

scarificator
cup

If anyone is interested let me know at Chrysippvs@aol.com

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation