Archive through March 19, 2002

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru March 2002:Where is the king of hellfire?:Archive through March 19, 2002
By Joalco on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 11:54 am: Edit

As per Admin's post, let me apologize publicly. I mistakenly thought that Don was suspended previously, probably during the Terminus debacle, and that that would have brought the grand total to two.

This old noggin' just ain't what it used to be. Please dismiss and forgive the misinformation.

jc

By Joalco on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 11:52 am: Edit

Chevalier ~

First of all, Don is still around. He responded via email to my post. So, no, this is not a "pussy way", as you so succintly put it. As per good taste, he took issue with something I said, and we're dealing with it via email. Not airing it in front of everyone else, or cursing like sailors.

Simply having seniority on any board isn't license to act freely in any way you please, and that applies to *everyone*, not just the situation in question. I've been here in one form or another since 1997 (my first absinthe experience coincided with the opening day of Lost Highway), and I've never levelled that kind of bile at someone.

The only time I recall it happening with this frequency and to this extent has been recently, and if Kallisti finds it inappropriate, then so be it. It is her dime, after all.

jc

By Admin on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 11:49 am: Edit

No, you cannot, and have not. If you had, we wouldn't be in this predicament. I got tired of playing referree all the time, over and over and over again. And seeing many folks give up on the forum in disgust. The people who agree with me can't speak up because they're GONE. they don't post here, they've found a life beyond this measley little cyber-haunt, and chose to because of the sometimes vicious and reactionary atmosphere that often prevails.

I'm simply tired of emailing Don (and others) with "you know, calling *blank* a central european gash that deserves to be raped by the entire red army except they'd all be wary of her VD is not the most appropriate way to solve personal issues you might be having with this person".

Sick of it. It's inappropriate and vicious. Don made his bed and he can lie in it. Likewise for myself.

btw - this is the only time he has been banned. Previously I booted Terminus for a week for similar behavior.

We all agree Don has a tremendous amount to contribute, but I don't care who the fuck you are, if someone said that to someone in MY bar their ass would be tossed to the pavement. And so goes for most of the hard core rough and tumble bars I've been in.

Like I've stated previously, this is not an unmoderated board.

By Chevalier on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 11:28 am: Edit

I gotta believe that Kallisti has us forumites in mind when she makes these kinds of decisions. She's shown this to be the case from the very beginning. So while the buck stops with her, her ears are open to our opinions. And mine is:

Kallisti, thank you for your concern, I mean that sincerely. But in truth, I and others here don't need you to press Don to be "more civil". We're adults; we can deal with the guy.

By Lordhobgoblin on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 11:18 am: Edit

I support Kallisti's new rules. I make this remark regardless of who is banned. Whether it's Don, myself or anyone else here, if you cross the line then you should expect to get banned.

I'm sure Don knew he would get banned for a week when he posted his most recent post. He no doubt posted it knowing full well what the consequences would be so he made the choice to be banned. I'm also sure he's not crying any tears about it either, so let's not insult him by crying tears for him. His decision, his choice, his responsibility so he chose to be banned.

So he posted something that others here agreed with (and some others didn't) but whether what he said was fact or not is immaterial. It is Kallisti's forum, she makes the rules, he broke the rules, he takes his punishment, simple as that.

I have respect for people who say "fuck it, I'll say what I think and to hell with the consequences", which is how Don acted.

I currently have no quarrel whatsoever with Don (past bitterness between us has been mutually buried). Yes he does add considerably to this forum and I look forward to his return but he broke the rules, he knew the sanctions and therefore he pays the price. Kallisti acted appropriately.

Hobgoblin
(Don, nothing personal and no offence intended)

By Chevalier on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 11:15 am: Edit

Yes. That's the point. Forumites are adults, ready to deal with Don in their own way. None of us needs Kallisti to do it for us. If she is continuing to press Don, it's for her own purposes, not anyone else's.

By Timk on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 11:04 am: Edit

and we cant help it if Don is not around, thats Kallistis fault, most of us would rather say it to his face anyway

By Chevalier on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 11:04 am: Edit

And in the case you mentioned, I disagree with Don for doing so. But in the end, rightly or wrongly, all Don did was bark out his opinion, knowing full well that he couldn't force anyone to do what he said. Does anyone around here feel threatened by Don -- as opposed to offended? If so, why? He won't bite.

By Timk on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 11:02 am: Edit

the point is Don did jump in, and told everyone to shut up and stop disxcussing things that had been discussed before.

By Chevalier on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 10:52 am: Edit

If you feel that a forum administrator is pressing you to edit yourself, and if none of the past week's posts have captured your interest, well ... you give your keypad a rest and get on with other things.

Remember that Don and Artemis, among others, have been around here for a long time. Dare I say that 90% (or more) of what's been posted these past two months has been a rehash of old hat, already much-discussed topics? That's not to say that they can't be talked about anew ... by "newbie" forumites who weren't been around during the earlier discussions. (After all, looking through the archives for these topics isn't as easy as it used to be.) But don't expect old guard forumites like Don and Artemis to jump in.

And stop feeling so hurt and offended. Don't cry; brush it off. Or fight back -- but when Don's around. Doing so when he's gone ... that's the pussy way.

By Timk on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 09:35 am: Edit

banned twice, thats news to me, are you sure?

By Joalco on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 08:45 am: Edit

It's not like this is the first time this has happened. Don has been banned twice in recent memory. And, just like the rest of us who "leave the forum," he always comes back.

I too support the idea of free speech, but with that right comes certain responsibilities. Is it "punk rock" to call someone a cunt? No. It's puerile, rude, and childish. Conversations such as that should be left to email, or better yet, kept to one's self.

Don has shown himself to be almost frighteningly intelligent in many matters, but too many times he devolves into name-calling and below-the-belt punches. I wouldn't let my ten year old daughter treat anyone that way, and I view Momma Kallisti's action as putting Lil' Don in the time-out corner for a while. It's a necessary break.

Say what you have to say, but remember first and foremost that we are a *community* here, albeit a virtual and diverse one.

My $0.02, adjusted for inflation.

jc

By Baz on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 06:14 am: Edit

It's not like we were defenseless either-as I recall, when Don started pissing people off last week, and being don, They were lining up to take shots at him. He couldn't type fast enough to respond to it all. We can all take care of ourselves here, but I guess Kallisti can police her website however she chooses. Don did fit the punk rock free for all image tho-

By Timk on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 05:35 am: Edit

ffs, strange when i type without looking i type semi phonetically, sensorship indeed!

By Timk on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 05:33 am: Edit

I disagree with banning him, i dont agree with sensorship, but people should realise that the way he carried about was both unnecessarily caustic and damaging to the forum overall. He was rude, abrasive, unhelpful, disruptive, but I would rather he was able to respond to what is being said than gagged by Kallisti. If he is acting like a fool, were capeable of telling him so, IMHO we dont need you banning him.

By Etienne on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 05:30 am: Edit

When Kallisti proposed the new rules, I thought they were a good idea and supported them. I was wrong. If one is welcome here, all must be, personality clashes aside.

Politness is fine, I'm all in favor of it. When you force politness, threaten people into politness, then it is censorship. There's nothing else to call it.

By Timk on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 05:28 am: Edit

pablo, that may be, but how many people do you think have come across this forum, and seen Dons newbie bashing, then thought that they would just read rather than contribute, also, Don has driven people off this forum before now, one in particular by posting personal details.

By Marccampbell on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 02:58 am: Edit

pablo,

I dig your style. Keep up the good vibes, brother.

By Pablo on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 01:30 am: Edit

A newbie (aka FNG) has this to say: Don's caustic wit never kept me from joining. I don't care if someone calls me idiot, moron, complete imbicile, fucking ass hole or monkey shit. Just makes me feel at home! Don could be very enlightening and had a wealth of information that he was more than willing to pass along. I am neither defending him or attacking him.

I don't believe in censorship, doubt you will find anyone on this forum who does. The diversity of the weirdo's and freaks who reside here is one of its strong points though. I don't believe anyone should get kicked out.

But, its not my forum. Not my rules. I'm just a guest.

By Verawench on Monday, March 18, 2002 - 07:03 pm: Edit

Bring Don back, says the Wench.

By Louched_Liver on Monday, March 18, 2002 - 06:03 pm: Edit

The flames have been high.

By Wolfgang on Monday, March 18, 2002 - 05:58 pm: Edit

I found a nice rock just there in the corner to hide and lurk from, thank`s to this new firewall at work...

By Lordhobgoblin on Monday, March 18, 2002 - 11:27 am: Edit

Baz,

Don't you know that you are most certainly not permitted to post here unless are either a tortured creative artist, a literary genius, have at least a PhD level knowledge of chemistry, or are possessed by no less than 4 anarchic demons? If you do not fall into these categories then you have nothing to offer and should fuck off back to your grey, boring, ordinary life.

Hobgoblin

By Baz on Monday, March 18, 2002 - 11:10 am: Edit

Just read thru the forum rules, but I couldn't quite find it mentioned that I had to entertain anyone. Seems like this is a board for people who like absinthe. Not entertainers. If it's such a cocksucking bad time, it's your fault for being here, not my fault or vera's fault or anyone else's.

I don't believe in banning people or censoring the content of the board either, and have stood up for Don in the last ban threat. But I didn't come here to entertain or be "measured" by anybody. Gee, sorry us "newbies" don't compare to the good old days...

By Timk on Monday, March 18, 2002 - 10:01 am: Edit

though i think don could be a complete motherfucker, and was putting new people off joining or posting, i have to say i disagree with banning people from the forum, I doubt Don will come back after the ban period, but who knows, anyway, i dont think banning anyone is the answer Kallisti - were quite capeable of telling him to fuck off when he goes too far, I dont like the idea of Arbitrary censorship, by you or anyone else.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation