And Now for Something Different....

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru March 2002:And Now for Something Different....
 SubtopicPosts Updated
Archive through March 22, 2002  25   03/24 06:33am

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, March 24, 2002 - 06:59 am: Edit

As for the Jesuits. I was recently having a chat with a Catholic priest (a Secular priest) I know about all sorts of things and for some reason I happened to bring up the Jesuits, the priest's reactions suddenly changed, an incredible animosity towards the Jesuit order, "snobs", "elitists", "power-craved ego-maniacs", "the gestapo", etc. Talk to him about Marxism, Radical Islam, Ultra-Orthodox Judaism, anything at all and he'll happily discuss the pros and cons of it but don't mention the Jesuits to him.

Hobgoblin

By Lordhobgoblin on Sunday, March 24, 2002 - 06:33 am: Edit

And they still hung onto control in Ireland until only a couple of decades ago. The people and government of Ireland accepted and followed the Church's line on practically everything. Priests would even use Mass on Sunday to tell people who and who not to vote for. My father and his brother did stand outside their local Catholic Church in Tipperary with placards when they were young trying to dissuade people from entering Mass on Sunday due to the parish priest using Mass to instruct people who to give their electoral support to (an Irish Republican/Church disagreement, but that's another story).

Hobgoblin

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, March 23, 2002 - 09:51 am: Edit

Thanks. I am only 'sort of' back. I am back to kick a few asses, mostly. Damn, some of these folks need to get a life.

By Baz on Saturday, March 23, 2002 - 09:09 am: Edit

all ideas that are good on paper, but don't translate well into the real world. Marxism becomes comunism becomes stalin's purges. The golden rule and turn the other cheek become religion becomes hunger for power becomes dark ages and child molesting priests. Ideas on paper never seem to take in the shortcomings of human nature and greed...

Destiny-I'm going to use the ""chewbaca defense"

Don-let me be the first (I think) to welcome you back.

By Don_Walsh on Saturday, March 23, 2002 - 06:28 am: Edit

Clever indeed. They have lasted two millenia, and the Bolshies only managed less than 75 years.

And that's despite Stalin having been trained for the priesthood.

Now, had he been a Jesuit...

Just joking.

I understand the idealism of Marxism, my old friend, all too well. It is just that the idealism has been betrayed and exploited, with horrific results, just as the idealism of Catholicism has often been abused and betrayed through the centuries by one force or another.
Often with horrific results.

By Lordhobgoblin on Saturday, March 23, 2002 - 01:55 am: Edit

True, they were clever politicians, controllers of governments/royalty and manipulators of the populous. Assimilate popular religious movements if it was to there advantage or burn them all as heretics if that too was to there advantage. You've got to hand it to them, they ruled the whole of Europe for many centuries and you don't do that if you've got a load of dumb arseholes in the hierarchy of your organisation.

As to Saints, yes stigmata sure as hell raises the chances of you being made a Saint after your death.

Hobgoblin

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation