Herbsaint...same as it ever was???

Sepulchritude Forum: The Absinthe Forum Archive Thru March 2002: Archive thru March 2002:Herbsaint...same as it ever was???
By Tabreaux on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 08:43 pm: Edit

"There is positively no change of formula. The new drink Herbsaint is exactly the same as the drink formerly sold under the name of Legendre Absinthe. The difference is in name only"

The above statement is false for a number of reasons. It was made either deliberately or carelessly. I hope that clears the confusion.

Absinthe was very popular in New Orleans, but not much evidence seems to surface. One can only guess as to why. I suppose French-style glassware and spoons were not typically used for Sazeracs and absinthe frappes. An old bottle surfaces once in a blue moon, but the older, the rarer.

By Rimbaud on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 07:20 pm: Edit

"There is positively no change of formula. The new drink Herbsaint is exactly the same as the drink formerly sold under the name of Legendre Absinthe. The difference is in name only."

So does this mean that Legendre Absinthe was never actually true absinthe, having never contained Artemisia Absinthium? That would make it just a pastis, as it is now as Herbsaint, correct? Or are they (Legendre) for some reason trying to cover up the fact that their pre-ban product (Legendre Absinthe) did actually contain wormwood? Ted, what do you have to say about this? Do you know anything to the contrary of what they're stating?
Also, while we're on the subject of American (New Orleans) absinthes, have you ever seen any bottles, labels or advertising (ads, posters, spoons, carafes, etc.) for either Milky Way or Green Opal absinthes. Were there any other U.S. absinthes made outside of N.O.? Just very curious. I appreciate any info or feedback you wish to share. Thanks!

~21st Century Rimbaud

By Giovannigray on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 11:12 pm: Edit

Wrong...

The virtues WERE the "sins".

By Rimbaud on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 11:08 pm: Edit

I found this on www.herbsaint.com, which is a website for a restaurant on St.Charles Ave.in New Orleans also called Herbsaint after the famed liqueur. They seem to have the legal right to use the name, although I don't know if Legendre is involved with the restaurant, as it's not clear from the site. In any case, the following info seems to be quoted from Legendre itself...

Formerly Sold Under the Name of
LEGENDRE ABSINTHE

In many states it is unlawful to use the name Absinthe - in labeling any product because the word Absinthe invariably calls to mind a poisonous wormwood beverage. The Legendre liqueur does not contain one drop of wormwood, but as we are enjoying a nation-wide distribution and in order to have our product on sale everywhere, we have decided to call it Herbsaint. There is positively no change of formula. The new drink Herbsaint is exactly the same as the drink formerly sold under the name of Legendre Absinthe. The difference is in name only. No other drink can bear the name Herbsaint. Legendre Herbsaint is the only drink of its kind in the world, It has all the virtues of absinthe but none of its sins. Made from a secret French formula, it is the first genuine, non-synthetic, non-poisonous drink of its kind, made in the United States.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page |Delete Conversation |Close Conversation |Move Conversation